Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 11:54 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike1974
I'm glad the AMA is fighting back. The FAA kneejerk registration that does nothing to solve their problem might have been better if written by children. You never know, give the kids a chance, they have far more open minds than adults.
I'm not at all concerned about the FAA exerting its authority. In fact, I kinda hope they deny the CBO request. I've always had an issue with a non-governmental organization that requires membership dues being allowed to serve as a "gatekeeper" of sorts to activities in taxpayer funded airspace. For example, if granted CBO status by FAA, then AMA is position to say no to UAS greater than 55lbs if you're not a member. That just rubs me the wrong way. I suspect it also didn't sit well with FAA, as they alluded to it in a couple of the comments they quoted.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:55 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by crash99
Look Guys, My thoughts is to wait until after the 15th to see if the AMA legal actions get to the point to exception of all AMA members.

Call your VP on the 16th and see where the AMA is at. Then decide to sign up. No need to get the cart before the horse and give away your personal information.

Given that the lawsuit hasn't moved in over a year, I'm not holding my breath. Registered on Monday, card is printed, laminated, and was in my wallet when I flew yesterday.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:57 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Do we have to have our models inspected and certified annually? Do we need to have an airworthiness certificate aboard? Do we have to keep a logbook of preventative maintenance? Is CA an approved adhesive for wood air frames? Is Monokote an approved wood "finish" for plywood?

So many questions.
No, your model doesn't need to be inspected. In fact you are NOT registering your model, you are registering yourself with the FAA.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:09 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm not at all concerned about the FAA exerting its authority. In fact, I kinda hope they deny the CBO request. I've always had an issue with a non-governmental organization that requires membership dues being allowed to serve as a "gatekeeper" of sorts to activities in taxpayer funded airspace. For example, if granted CBO status by FAA, then AMA is position to say no to UAS greater than 55lbs if you're not a member. That just rubs me the wrong way. I suspect it also didn't sit well with FAA, as they alluded to it in a couple of the comments they quoted.
That may be so, but if I had to trust one or the other it sure is not the FAA. At least when it comes to model aviation. I'm sure the FAA would be tickled pink to have all model aviation just go away.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Lawsuits get parked time to time and then moves forward after giving the parties time to act. Then they start moving again. Again there is no hurry.

If the AMA is able to get to excerpting us then the FAA and the 3rd party working with the FAA will not have my personal information.

Maybe some of you like giving away your personal information.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
Would you freaking quit trolling already? Holy fu$)&U#.......
Hey! The FAA said they are registering model airplanes because they are airplanes, the NTSB says that you must report all airplane accidents!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

Their ranking is trending down currently. Which tells me the site is not over loaded with modelers........ Oh, and here are stats....

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/https%...rmyuas.faa.gov
..Those are for all of FAA.gov.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Sport_Pilot

Given that the lawsuit hasn't moved in over a year, I'm not holding my breath. Registered on Monday, card is printed, laminated, and was in my wallet when I flew yesterday.
I think the legal action may not be the same lawsuit. But I do understand that the lawsuit may now continue, off hold status.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Sport_Pilot

No, your model doesn't need to be inspected. In fact you are NOT registering your model, you are registering yourself with the FAA.
The USC says airplanes must be registered, not owners. The FAA says this is registering the model. So which is it?
Old 12-22-2015, 12:47 PM
franklin_m

That may be so, but if I had to trust one or the other it sure is not the FAA. At least when it comes to model aviation. I'm sure the FAA would be tickled pink to have all model aviation just go away.
My experience with the FAA over a 20+ year career has been nothing but positive. Whether negotiating for new SUA operations, support for special ops, or working out new procedures for handoff from my ATC facility to a civilian facility, I found them nothing but reasonable.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Sport_Pilot

My experience with the FAA over a 20+ year career has been nothing but positive. Whether negotiating for new SUA operations, support for special ops, or working out new procedures for handoff from my ATC facility to a civilian facility, I found them nothing but reasonable.
Well YOU would! What do you care, you are getting out of the hobby!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:04 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Sport ,

I never saw Franklin post anything about leaving the hobby . The man has mentioned not continuing his AMA membership and I will neither applaud nor decry his decision on that . But rest assured , I'm sure Franklin can enjoy his model aircraft just fine whether there is an AMA card in his wallet or not .

PS , my only dealings with the FAA were involving my A&P , and I never had any problems with them either .....
Old 12-22-2015, 01:04 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by lonestoner
Can you really trust the government.?
Is that a trick Question ... Of course U always, Most of the time once in a while,Sometimes & on any occasion.
NEVER TRUST ANYTHING GOVERNMENT
. Especially if it begins with the word Federal and is followed a Double AA. Not even trust a DOT or NTSB either. Now let's go for the Honesty we see in Congress.
Darn U got me started again ... Stop That.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:38 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I'm glad the AMA is fighting back. The FAA kneejerk registration that does nothing to solve their problem might have been better if written by children. You never know, give the kids a chance, they have far more open minds than adults.

U Franklin_m: Should know better U've dealt with the FAA Right. They could not have made it any easier to register for FREE and Put a Number, ON/IN your R/C TOY. New Zealand and Canada Mandates U belong to their version of the AMA.

As for the FAA they could mandate registration of every R/C Toy U own and pay $25/Year too. Plus they could demand U have some form of federal license to fly your R/C Toys in the NAS. So Stop badmouthing the FAA/AMA and comply before they get smart and make impossible fo us to Enjoy our Hobby/Sport with Little to no BS.

Just saying the feds can make it as difficult as u can stand till U quit.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do I have to take a physical? ;-)
Old 12-22-2015, 01:59 PM
Rob2160

No,

I recommend reading the FAQ

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/
Old 12-22-2015, 02:00 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Turn to the left and cough please. Now..this next part may feel just a tiny bit uncomfortable.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

There are good people working at all levels of Federal Govt, including the FAA and even the IRS. It's great that you have had positive dealings with the FAA, they and the other operations do far more than people think and give credit for.

Although I've disagreed at time with his positions, his getting out (or not) isn't really relative to his ability to make comments pro or con regarding the FAA or AMA. Although he has indicated he was leaving the AMA as there was no need for it where he is living, he is still a member. For the record every org needs what some would be considered to be a gadfly (not saying franklin is, just saying in general). Orgs get myopic and might suffer from tunnel vision unless someone has the brass ones every now and then to speak there mind, even it it makes others feel uncomfortable. I used to shrink in the chair and go uh oh, here it comes, when one of the more vocal people in our club used to ask for a chance to speak or question the board. Sometimes it was like oh god, did he just go there? But ya...he did, and he needed to because some of us didn't know we should, or could. Lot's has been said of the AMA over the past two years, good and bad. I doubt the EC spends time here reading what is written, it's typically pretty anti-AMA in general, but through it all might be some good suggestions. They did the survey a while back and hopefully glean some useful information from that as well. I trust that the EC has best intentions for the membership, but if they never seek membership feedback, I think that's a missed opportunity.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:10 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Well, this registration is not reasonable as it relates to keeping the NAS safe. Reasonable and easy as far as taking money from responsible people and adding an extra step to fly a toy, then yes. IMO the FAA just fumbled the ball, on the goal line, with 5 seconds to go in the Super Bowl to lose the game with this registration thing.

To be clear, I have zero problem with the FAA keeping the NAS and full scale aircraft safe. That's great! I want the NAS and full scale aircraft to be safe! Registration accomplishes none of that, and that is my problem with the whole thing.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:24 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree in fact I think if the AMA would have left the CBO language out of the rule 336 we all would have been better off in the long run.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:27 PM
pflynn73
My Feedback: (20)

I will be registering and am not concerned. I am surprised that these toys are not illegal already. In 5 years all flying models will be illegal. Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:53 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Well this is my first experience with the FAA and I don't rate them as high as you.

Let me just get this correct, RC needs to be Regulated but a home built ultralights man aircraft do not.

It's to keep the NAS safe. So an ultralight aircraft is not a concern if it hits an aircraft but an RC airplane is?

Looks like the FAA has too much time on their hands and maybe that is a place we could save tax payers of wasted man hours spent

But this is my first experience with the FAA.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well this is my first experience with the FAA and I don't rate them as high as you.

Let me just get this correct, RC needs to be Regulated but a home built ultralights man aircraft do not.

It's to keep the NAS safe. So an ultralight aircraft is not a concern if it hits an aircraft but an RC airplane is?

Looks like the FAA has too much time on their hands and maybe that is a place we could save tax payers of wasted man hours spent

But this is my first experience with the FAA.
Perhaps being a first experience you don't understand how they, or any govt agency works. Looks like you might not be aware this didn't come from the FAA, they didn't just decide one day hey, lets mess with RC planes. They answer to another group of folks called Congress.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:13 PM
franklin_m

No I'm not. I'm contemplating leaving AMA, mostly because I haven't needed it to fly in the last two years. If I get through three years w/o needing it to fly the stuff I want to fly, then it's not a good use of my money.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:15 PM
franklin_m

Let me just get this correct, RC needs to be Regulated but a home built ultralights man aircraft do not. It's to keep the NAS safe. So an ultralight aircraft is not a concern if it hits an aircraft but an RC airplane is?
I would submit that the pilot of a home built ultralight is much more interested in safe operations for one simple reason: If he's not safe, then he runs the risk of dying. RC pilots do not share that level of risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.