Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:20 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Wilber and Orville would have thought it was a privilege or a right?

interesting in that there was a constitution and Bill of rights at the time they flew but no FAA.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:24 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Of course I care. In fact, I just ordered a new advanced magic doggie decoder ring from Amazon so I can understand your posts better.
Man I High lite the Important Parts.

Try not to use PRONOUNS.

CAPITALIZE.

Use complete sentences and Paragraphs.

Well Mostly!

Triple check spelling and content.

What next double spaced?

Does this HELP?

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-12-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Man I High lite the Important Parts.

Try not to use PRONOUNS.

CAPITALIZE.

Use complete sentences and Paragraphs.

Well Mostly!

Triple check spelling and content.

What next double spaced?

Does this HELP?

If I win the PowerBall tomorrow I'll buy you a spell checker, grammar checker, and style guide so you can confirm.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:33 AM
HoundDog

It's not always Uncle Sam that's the problem. You'd be amazed how many people cannot keep track of basic information like their phone number, mailing address, bank account numbers, passwords, etc. Changing that number every X years would be a recipe for disaster. Based on the size of the registration number and the number/type of digits used they won't be running out of numbers anytime soon.
Hey Mr. Bacon ... I think pick'n on us O'l Geezers with the on set of Alzheimer's/Dementia (Now what the He[[ was I saying OH ya) just wait til you get Old, Decrepit and take a lot of Pills. Then U won't even worry about Numbers, Just when eie I take My pills or took a good crap.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Hey Mr. Bacon ... I think pick'n on us O'l Geezers with the on set of Alzheimer's/Dementia (Now what the He[[ was I saying OH ya) just wait til you get Old, Decrepit and take a lot of Pills. Then U won't even worry about Numbers, Just when eie I take My pills or took a good crap.
Eat more bacon, you'll feel better. Here you go:

https://youtu.be/OtMVMNST_g4
Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 AM
HoundDog

If I win the PowerBall tomorrow I'll buy you a spell checker, grammar checker, and style guide so you can confirm.
Great I spell so bad that some times this spell checker

just gives up and I have to attempt to get some dictionary

to try to figure it out. And They even gave me two

chances at 3rd grade with Sister Pius. That lady had a

darker mustache than most guys And the fastest 12"

reuler You.ve ever seen.

Better?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch
I wonder if Wilber and Orville would have thought it was a privilege or a right?

interesting in that there was a constitution and Bill of rights at the time they flew but no FAA.
Well actually there is no Constitution or Bill of Rights. The government ignores it and the people are ignorant of it.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:54 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I asked AMA directly if they viewed you have to be a member to operate above 400' AGL. They responded no, but just today they say they're working with the FAA to get language on the FAA site that if you're an AMA member, you can go above 400. So they're working to actually make membership mandatory.

I also asked them about the >=55lb thing. They said that you must be a member for them to certify the aircraft per PL112-95 section 336 (a)(3). So for those, you absolutely have to be a member.

I have a problem with a private dues collecting organization using the law to compel me to pay them money to exercise a right in the public airspace.
Originally Posted by porcia83
A "right" in the public airspace? What should happen if everyone agrees to exercise this "right" as they saw fit?

Also...did the FAA tell you explicitly you have to join the AMA? If not...well....that's not exactly the case.
Congress and the FAA have always said that one must fly in accordance with the guidelines of a Community Based Organization, such as the AMA. However, the definition of a CBO is broad, and not necessarily exclusive to the AMA.

Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft:
“membership based association that represents the aeromodeling community within the Unites States; [and] provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground . . . .”
This document implies that the AMA may not be the only organization that meets the requirements of a CBO. Of course, other CBOs may also be formed in the future. If this is the case, AMA membership will not be required; one could simply join another CBO. Some existing organizations (e.g. the multitude of drone associations that are forming) could meet the definition of CBO if they simply develop "...a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground." I am not familiar with any of the non-AMA organizations, but I would not be surprised if some of these organizations may already meet the requirements of the CBO.

As far as I am concerned, it's possible for a pilot to follow the safety guidelines of a CBO, even if he/she is not a member. The AMA, for example, does not require AMA membership it its safety code. As long as one follows the safety code from the AMA (or some other CBO,) he/she is flying in compliance with an established set of "community guidelines." That said, turbine pilots, and those who fly 55+ lb aircraft are probably stuck with AMA membership, since the safety code requires waivers for these aircraft, and since membership is required to get the necessary waivers.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:58 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Ya...seems like a perfectly appropriate comparison to the issues we're dealing with now. Right on point!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:13 AM
N410DC

I wonder if Samuel Colt thought the same about his little product.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Seeing what the FAA rolled out as their representation, they generally don't have a clue what we do as modelers and could care less what we think.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM
franklin_m

A "right" in the public airspace? What should happen if everyone agrees to exercise this "right" as they saw fit?

Also...did the FAA tell you explicitly you have to join the AMA? If not...well....that's not exactly the case.
I've always believe that flying is a privilege, I just felt that trying to describe equal protection under the law of a privilege might result in some tortured language.

As for FAA telling me directly...no not yet. But if they indeed change the registration and explicitly say that members of AMA can fly above 400', then they are compelling membership in a private dues paying organization to enjoy special privileges in the people's airspace that the unwashed masses do not enjoy. It's very Orwellian I suppose, the Animal Farm quote comes to mind “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

If they say that CBO members can fly above 400', that's better, but only marginally so long as there's but one CBO.

Lastly, AMA did say that they won't certify aircraft of non-members to allow them to comply with PL112-95 section 336 (a)(3) - again, with just one CBO, AMA is already using that to compel membership.

I contacted my Senator's Office yesterday, provided my question to AMA, and their exact response with respect to requiring members for 336 (a)(3) certification. They're reaching out to the appropriate subcommittee and FAA about how that section of the law is being used by the AMA. While I'm hopeful this will be used to clarify and establish a single set of standards for everyone, whether or not CBO members, at this point nothing would surprise me.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by jchorak
Seeing what the FAA rolled out as their representation, they generally don't have a clue what we do as modelers and could care less what we think.
I'm pretty sure they have a pretty good idea of what we do, some are even deeply involved in the hobby and are in fact AMA members. The problem is we (the hobby) aren't the only ones who are involved in this. It isn't all about us, and what we do, and what we want, and how this plays out for us only.

Folks continue to miss the huge picture and continue to focus on us, and us alone.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 AM
TimJ

And there weren't thousands of jets in the air at the same time carrying hundreds of thousands of passengers.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:01 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Russell_C
I'll probably be flamed for saying this but here it goes. This argument is a fallacy, and I've heard it used a lot especially dealing with privacy, but if one wasn't asleep in their civics class they would have read the 9th Amendment and, to a lesser degree, the 10th amendment telling us that there are more rights than those enumerated in the Constitution and who has them.

If you may do something legally without government interference it may be construed as a right. Once you have to pay for a license to do it makes it a privilege.

Here they are:

Amendment IX

Rights retained by the People
The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

States' rights
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

No flamage from me buddy, but there are plenty of people on here who will happily give away right after right under the guise of "safety". The FAA/DOT have gone WAY too far with this registration. It has about a 0% chance of making the NAS safer; which really makes this whole thing comical. Once again I will not be registering.

Last edited by mike1974; 01-12-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It doesn't have to say flying model airplanes is a right. The ninth amendment says that any rights not mentioned in the constitution shall not be disparaged and shall retained to the people. So this is a right per the constitution.
Yup, I agree!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 AM
TimJ

Lastly, AMA did say that they won't certify aircraft of non-members to allow them to comply with PL112-95 section 336 (a)(3) - again, with just one CBO, AMA is already using that to compel membership.

I contacted my Senator's Office yesterday, provided my question to AMA, and their exact response with respect to requiring members for 336 (a)(3) certification. They're reaching out to the appropriate subcommittee and FAA about how that section of the law is being used by the AMA. While I'm hopeful this will be used to clarify and establish a single set of standards for everyone, whether or not CBO members, at this point nothing would surprise me.
Why in the hell would you do something like that? I don't think you realize the ramifications of you doing something like that. I hope you understand that the AMA is NOT using that section to "compel" membership. That is a safety standard set by a CBO who happens to be the AMA at this point. Any other CBO could come along and establish their own set of safety certification for 55+lb aircraft. I'm also sure that one would not want a bunch of 55lb aircraft flying around like the Multi-Rotors. So that rule seems to me to be very reasonable.

Once again, Franklin_M you DON'T have the best interest in mind for model aviation. You only want to fu&* it up for the rest of us.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I've always believe that flying is a privilege, I just felt that trying to describe equal protection under the law of a privilege might result in some tortured language.

As for FAA telling me directly...no not yet. But if they indeed change the registration and explicitly say that members of AMA can fly above 400', then they are compelling membership in a private dues paying organization to enjoy special privileges in the people's airspace that the unwashed masses do not enjoy. It's very Orwellian I suppose, the Animal Farm quote comes to mind “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

If they say that CBO members can fly above 400', that's better, but only marginally so long as there's but one CBO.

As has been mentioned in the past, it's not the AMA's fault there's only one CBO. If you don't like it, start your own CBO. If there were multiple CBOs, I don't see how the FAA would possibly allow each one to have significantly varying difference in flight operations, but I could be wrong there.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

I'm pretty sure they have a pretty good idea of what we do, some are even deeply involved in the hobby and are in fact AMA members. The problem is we (the hobby) aren't the only ones who are involved in this. It isn't all about us, and what we do, and what we want, and how this plays out for us only.

Folks continue to miss the huge picture and continue to focus on us, and us alone.

Gibson didn't have a clue..........
Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Exactly! It's not just about us, many just don't realize this is about commercial operations as well.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 AM
franklin_m

As has been mentioned in the past, it's not the AMA's fault there's only one CBO. If you don't like it, start your own CBO. If there were multiple CBOs, I don't see how the FAA would possibly allow each one to have significantly varying difference in flight operations, but I could be wrong there.
I'm ok with on CBO, right until they start using any part of law to compel membership. They're doing that already with section 336 (a)(3), and they've got lots of incentive ($$$$) to start doing it with (a)(2) at some point.

Last edited by franklin_m; 01-12-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling correct
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM
mike1974

Exactly! It's not just about us, many just don't realize this is about commercial operations as well.
How exactly is registration going to make commercial operations safer?

On a completely different note; what do you guys think about allowing BLOS pilots to call in flight plans?

I also saw Tower Hobbies now starting to carry FPV equipment.

Last edited by mike1974; 01-12-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:53 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ
Why in the hell would you do something like that? I don't think you realize the ramifications of you doing something like that. I hope you understand that the AMA is NOT using that section to "compel" membership. That is a safety standard set by a CBO who happens to be the AMA at this point. Any other CBO could come along and establish their own set of safety certification for 55+lb aircraft. I'm also sure that one would not want a bunch of 55lb aircraft flying around like the Multi-Rotors. So that rule seems to me to be very reasonable.

Once again, Franklin_M you DON'T have the best interest in mind for model aviation. You only want to fu&* it up for the rest of us.
I'm interested in the safety of manned aircraft and people on the ground first, second, third .... 50th. Maybe 51st I care about hobby sUAS/UAS. What does concern me is an organization that allows people (CDs) with no formal safety training, certainly no formal aviation safety training, no formal risk management training, heck probably not even an understanding of physics, to waive AMA safety "guidelines." If there was some more discipline in the management of these risks, I might be more supportive.

The fundamental concern that I raised with FAA and my Senator is how is the pilot of a life flight helicopter, a news or police aircraft, a light civil pilot dealing with an emergency, or a military jet on any one of thousands of military training routes supposed to know that "model aircraft" operating in that area are flown by CBO members, and thus enjoy special privilege to be higher than 400', or are being operated by others who are not. The ambiguity of this double standard is very dangerous from a safety perspective, especially when we're expecting the "hobby" operator to have situational awareness of approaching aircraft - when there are no visual acuity standards, no hearing standards, and no annual check of the operator's ability have situational awareness.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier

I understand about the FAA registration of sUAS flyers, and am already registered - no problem. In 3 years, when I have to renew my registration, will I keep the same number or will a new one be issued. My concern is placing my number on all my model aircraft - will I have to take the old one off and apply a new one every 3 years?

Thank

U have airplanes that last 3 years and U really fly them ... amazing? We have several club members that kill several planes a month. Yesterday this Canadian (That has already Killed 4 or 5 this season) came out to the field with a brand new plane with a 1.60 + 4 stroke . He had another guy maiden it and we even didn't want to fly it. If he can get them started he's got a 50 50 chance of taking it home in the same condition he brought it. Never is with a garbage bak close.
It's not always Uncle Sam that's the problem. You'd be amazed how many people cannot keep track of basic information like their phone number, mailing address, bank account numbers, passwords, etc. Changing that number every X years would be a recipe for disaster. Based on the size of the registration number and the number/type of digits used they won't be running out of numbers anytime soon.
Crispy - bolded is precisely why I asked FAA about it. You're right, changing that number every couple years would be a goat-rope like no other goat-rope in history. HOWEVER, like I said, this is the US Government. I put no level of stupidity past them. However, my main reason for asking wasn't anything like that - it was the simple mechanics of having to change numbers over and over, maybe necessitating a new acft covering every few years to get rid of the old # and put a new one on. Wasn't looking forward to that kind of baloney.

HoundDog - regarding what I put in red, I'm hoping you were being facetious. I've seen FAA documents, and right now exactly which ones they were escapes me, where they specifically state that they don't think many of these sUAS (referring to Christmas presents, I think) will last more than just a few flights and can't envision any sUAS surviving more than a year or so. They've no clue at all!!!! I'm not the only one in the world, I'm sure, that has a fleet of aircraft still flying that are much more than 20 yrs old. Shoot, my oldest still flying (RC plane) is 41, youngest is 4. My oldest still-operational and regularly flying CL plane was built in 1958 and flies every summer.

This is pretty much the general problem, in my view, with this whole registration circle-jerk - Govt has no clue but is responding to the press and their over-hype, through the FAA. The press is simply creating a news sensation (truth has no place anywhere in this) to "sell newspapers" and make $$$$$$$$$. The public is buying it, just like they always do. We're paying the price, just like always.

Yup, a circle-jerk.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Crispy - bolded is precisely why I asked FAA about it. You're right, changing that number every couple years would be a goat-rope like no other goat-rope in history. HOWEVER, like I said, this is the US Government. I put no level of stupidity past them. However, my main reason for asking wasn't anything like that - it was the simple mechanics of having to change numbers over and over, maybe necessitating a new acft covering every few years to get rid of the old # and put a new one on. Wasn't looking forward to that kind of baloney.

Perhaps exercising a little common sense your part would also be helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.