Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes Crispy, I understand and agree. It's "common sense" from the US Government that I have my issues with. After all, is any of this registration crap "common sense"? How many lives are going to be saved by putting a 10-figure "number" on my plane?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:07 AM
maximusminimus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's either Kansas or Kentucky that allows you to apply for and purchase a permit to fly rc...once obtained, you can fly in of the state parks or just about anywhere, where it isn't specifically stated that you cannot. From my understanding, they even have their own safety code, registration etc and mirrors the AMA. That being the case, then that would be a CBO too.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike1974
How exactly is registration going to make commercial operations safer?

On a completely different note; what do you guys think about allowing BLOS pilots to call in flight plans?

I also saw Tower Hobbies now starting to carry FPV equipment.
I don't know nor care where they are at with the larger UAS flying though navigable airspace. I assume that will come later though
Old 01-12-2016, 10:24 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by maximusminimus
I think it's either Kansas or Kentucky that allows you to apply for and purchase a permit to fly rc...once obtained, you can fly in of the state parks or just about anywhere, where it isn't specifically stated that you cannot. From my understanding, they even have their own safety code, registration etc and mirrors the AMA. That being the case, then that would be a CBO too.
Not Kansas, then again, this state is hurting for money and we already have the highest property tax in the nation, so don't give them any ideas.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by scottrc
Not Kansas, then again, this state is hurting for money and we already have the highest property tax in the nation,

Not even close.

so don't give them any ideas.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:27 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Nj, CT, HI I believe.....in that order.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:40 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm interested in the safety of manned aircraft and people on the ground first, second, third .... 50th. Maybe 51st I care about hobby sUAS/UAS. What does concern me is an organization that allows people (CDs) with no formal safety training, certainly no formal aviation safety training, no formal risk management training, heck probably not even an understanding of physics, to waive AMA safety "guidelines." If there was some more discipline in the management of these risks, I might be more supportive.

The fundamental concern that I raised with FAA and my Senator is how is the pilot of a life flight helicopter, a news or police aircraft, a light civil pilot dealing with an emergency, or a military jet on any one of thousands of military training routes supposed to know that "model aircraft" operating in that area are flown by CBO members, and thus enjoy special privilege to be higher than 400', or are being operated by others who are not. The ambiguity of this double standard is very dangerous from a safety perspective, especially when we're expecting the "hobby" operator to have situational awareness of approaching aircraft - when there are no visual acuity standards, no hearing standards, and no annual check of the operator's ability have situational awareness.
Sorry, your argument is rubbish. The safety record of the AMA is excellent. You seem to be trolling for attention, once again. If you really are concerned about that then, you should work to get every R/C model field on nav charts. Not approach the FAA and/or local representatives.

Taking this approach only make you look like and anti AMA goon.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:05 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Nj, CT, HI I believe.....in that order.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...es-in-america/
Old 01-12-2016, 12:06 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't know nor care where they are at with the larger UAS flying though navigable airspace. I assume that will come later though
What do you mean by "larger" UAS? My FPV glider is foam and the size of a .40 plane.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

You said something about calling in a flight plan. That won't happen for a while because we are not flying in navigable airspace. You may be flying BLOS but you are returning to the same point. A flight plan is from point A to point B and a flight plan form point A to point A is nonsensical. This won't happen till we have UAS (not sUAS) flying regularly in the same airspace as full scale aircraft. The first will be the size of giant scale models. but I suppose eventually UAS will include airliners. Actually they probably won't do flight plans till they carry people.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

i was close, only two off. Happy I guess? Between the real estate tax, personal income tax, state sales tax, and then my favorite, property tax ( I really love paying tax on my cars every year!) this state is tax happy. And they are still looking at bringing tolls back!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:38 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ
Sorry, your argument is rubbish. The safety record of the AMA is excellent. You seem to be trolling for attention, once again. If you really are concerned about that then, you should work to get every R/C model field on nav charts. Not approach the FAA and/or local representatives.

Taking this approach only make you look like and anti AMA goon.
Sorry you feel that way Tim. The AMA's record is what it is because it's incomplete. It does not include any number of events that are part of a credible safety management system data collection effort: non-injury mishaps, AMA rule violations, breaches of flight discipline, near misses, etc.

I am not supportive of getting every AMA field on sectional chart, as that won't be supported by AOPA or other groups, and imposes needless burden on the FAA system as AMA clubs lose fields, add fields, lose them, etc. The AMA's own website isn't even up to date with respective to active fields, of the five within 50nm of my zip code, half of them result in "404" errors when you access the web pages.

I support one set of rules for all non-commercial sUAS/UAS flights nationwide w/o regard for CBO membership. It invites chaos to have multiple numbering systems, multiple operational limits, and multiple certification/qualification systems.

I do not support AMA so long as they use any single part of PL112-95 section 336 to compel membership. They're doing that with section (a)(3), and who's to say they won't do that with other sections in the future? If and when there are other CBOs, then I'm less concerned. Until then though, I will continue to express my concern for the safety of manned aircraft and people on the ground imposed by ambiguous and inconsistent operational rules for non-commercial sUAS/UAS operations.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:39 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
i was close, only two off. Happy I guess? Between the real estate tax, personal income tax, state sales tax, and then my favorite, property tax ( I really love paying tax on my cars every year!) this state is tax happy. And they are still looking at bringing tolls back!
At least PA doesn't tax PowerBall winnings of residents so long as you buy the ticket in state!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Sport_Pilot

Sorry you feel that way Tim. The AMA's record is what it is because it's incomplete. It does not include any number of events that are part of a credible safety management system data collection effort: non-injury mishaps, AMA rule violations, breaches of flight discipline, near misses, etc.

I am not supportive of getting every AMA field on sectional chart, as that won't be supported by AOPA or other groups, and imposes needless burden on the FAA system as AMA clubs lose fields, add fields, lose them, etc. The AMA's own website isn't even up to date with respective to active fields, of the five within 50nm of my zip code, half of them result in "404" errors when you access the web pages.

I support one set of rules for all non-commercial sUAS/UAS flights nationwide w/o regard for CBO membership. It invites chaos to have multiple numbering systems, multiple operational limits, and multiple certification/qualification systems.

I do not support AMA so long as they use any single part of PL112-95 section 336 to compel membership. They're doing that with section (a)(3), and who's to say they won't do that with other sections in the future? If and when there are other CBOs, then I'm less concerned. Until then though, I will continue to express my concern for the safety of manned aircraft and people on the ground imposed by ambiguous and inconsistent operational rules for non-commercial sUAS/UAS operations.
Dude! It's just model airplanes! Besides the occurrences with full scale can be counted on your fingers!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 PM
cj_rumley

I've always believe that flying is a privilege, I just felt that trying to describe equal protection under the law of a privilege might result in some tortured language.

As for FAA telling me directly...no not yet. But if they indeed change the registration and explicitly say that members of AMA can fly above 400', then they are compelling membership in a private dues paying organization to enjoy special privileges in the people's airspace that the unwashed masses do not enjoy. It's very Orwellian I suppose, the Animal Farm quote comes to mind “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

If they say that CBO members can fly above 400', that's better, but only marginally so long as there's but one CBO.

Lastly, AMA did say that they won't certify aircraft of non-members to allow them to comply with PL112-95 section 336 (a)(3) - again, with just one CBO, AMA is already using that to compel membership.

I contacted my Senator's Office yesterday, provided my question to AMA, and their exact response with respect to requiring members for 336 (a)(3) certification. They're reaching out to the appropriate subcommittee and FAA about how that section of the law is being used by the AMA. While I'm hopeful this will be used to clarify and establish a single set of standards for everyone, whether or not CBO members, at this point nothing would surprise me.
With AMA wins in the continuing saga of their involvement in big city politics being zip, zero squat, the medieval notion that AMA members are due special standing is a far stretch. If they persist in the legal/political theatrics, the outcome will more likely be "equal protection under law" via disallowing for all citizens any of the special privileges they seek to corner the market on.
The 400' AGL limit, and other things one signs up for in registering come directly from "Know Before You Fly" which is a program AMA is a key partner in, which was initiated for the unwashed masses of new drone flyers. I don't doubt AMA was surprised as well as chagrined that it was applied to every modeler when the requirement for registration was announced. I see some irony here: what business did AMA have in making rules for non- AMA members anyway?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Sport_Pilot

Rumley that is beginning to &!$$ me off. The know before you fly is recent and in fact supported by the AMA, the 400 foot limit goes back to 81 when the AMA and FAA agreed to this many, many years ago. The AMA has been working with Washington on altitude limits well back in the 70's..

The fact is you and Franklin know nothing but you pretend to be experts. To say the AMA has done nothing, has accomplished nothing just shows your complete and disgusting ignorance!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Have you put together any plans to implement such a program complete with startup and on-going cost estimates? You already complain about the cost of AMA dues. I'm curious to how much it would cost to create and maintain such a program within the AMA or even FAA specifically for model aviation.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:47 PM
franklin_m

Dude! It's just model airplanes! Besides the occurrences with full scale can be counted on your fingers!
Any occurrences between full scale and model airplanes greater than zero indicates the model aircraft are not avoiding full scale aircraft. As Bob Brown said just this weekend, "even if that means putting your model in the dirt."
Old 01-12-2016, 01:52 PM
franklin_m

Rumley that is beginning to &!$$ me off. The know before you fly is recent and in fact supported by the AMA, the 400 foot limit goes back to 81 when the AMA and FAA agreed to this many, many years ago. The AMA has been working with Washington on altitude limits well back in the 70's..

The fact is you and Franklin know nothing but you pretend to be experts. To say the AMA has done nothing, has accomplished nothing just shows your complete and disgusting ignorance!
In case you haven't noticed, we don't live in the 70's anymore. I'm sure Circuit City had a business plan, and where are they now? How's your Walkman doing these days? Or your 8-track tape? Technology changes can drive policy changes, sometimes in a hurry. Just look at the policy changes as a result of cellphone texting....
Old 01-12-2016, 01:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...eci-1752425937

Off topic I know, yet another classic retired!

Carry on!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:54 PM
franklin_m

[QUOTE=Chris P. Bacon;12160534]Sorry you feel that way Tim. The AMA's record is what it is because it's incomplete. It does not include any number of events that are part of a credible safety management system data collection effort: non-injury mishaps, AMA rule violations, breaches of flight discipline, near misses, etc.

Have you put together any plans to implement such a program complete with startup and on-going cost estimates? You already complain about the cost of AMA dues. I'm curious to how much it would cost to create and maintain such a program within the AMA or even FAA specifically for model aviation. /QUOTE]

If and when AMA every shows an interest, I'm happy to set it up for them. I have no problem paying dues if it were used toward something like this. What I don't support is some of the other uses of our membership dues (like the PR firm that's inept).
Old 01-12-2016, 01:56 PM
franklin_m

The fact is you and Franklin know nothing but you pretend to be experts!
Know nothing? Exactly how do you determine that? When someone doesn't agree with you, they get accused of knowing nothing.

Speaking of that by the way, you stated the other day something about membership being required in the Ultralight CBO to do things. I asked for a citation and you still haven't provided one...perhaps its because you didn't know what you were talking about?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:58 PM
cj_rumley

Well Sporty, I'll probably be losing a lot of sleep over that first sentence
I should have consulted an expert first, but maybe things can be set straight after the fact. So, what has AMA accomplished with their political/legal wrangling with FAA that ensued from the sUAS ARC, which AMA participated in ostensibly for the sole purpose of providing expert advice as to what a model aircraft is?
Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM
mike1974

You said something about calling in a flight plan. That won't happen for a while because we are not flying in navigable airspace. You may be flying BLOS but you are returning to the same point. A flight plan is from point A to point B and a flight plan form point A to point A is nonsensical. This won't happen till we have UAS (not sUAS) flying regularly in the same airspace as full scale aircraft. The first will be the size of giant scale models. but I suppose eventually UAS will include airliners. Actually they probably won't do flight plans till they carry people.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:26 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

[QUOTE=franklin_m;12160570]
Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon

Have you put together any plans to implement such a program complete with startup and on-going cost estimates? You already complain about the cost of AMA dues. I'm curious to how much it would cost to create and maintain such a program within the AMA or even FAA specifically for model aviation. /QUOTE]

If and when AMA every shows an interest, I'm happy to set it up for them. I have no problem paying dues if it were used toward something like this. What I don't support is some of the other uses of our membership dues (like the PR firm that's inept).
Just to confirm, you have no idea how much it would cost to implement and maintain such a program?

I'd also be interested in the benefit such a program would provide. If the FAA thought it was that important they'd already be doing it, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.