Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
The real problem here, is that there is NO RISK TO THE OPERATOR of the drone. Therefore, safety measures are not as likely to be adhered to by the owner of a model plane, like on a full scale aircraft. People see them as toys, or as a camera platform that works wonders for their iPhone photo album. While consumer drones have limits built in (the Parrot drone can't fly over 330 feet), a typical model airplane does NOT. So with a standard 2.4 ghz radio, you can fly over 1,500 feet, and STILL see the plane. I have seen this done before MANY times at the field. When the multi-rotors start seeing the limits, I see no doubt that they will just put their cameras on regular model airplanes to get around the 5 mile geofencing radius.

And again, flying a radio controlled model airplane is NOT a right. It is a PRIVILEGE. More regulation may be the only way to keep the hobby going, because ANYTHING radio-controlled can be banned entirely if an incident ever does happen.
They won't be legally allowed to go to 1,500 without AMA membership. And even then one has to question if they can yield to full scale at that altitude, especially if there are clouds in the sky.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
So you have no problem implying or extrapolating ideas from my post (remember the one where you extrapolate a numbered list of reasons why I won't submit my ideas for your royal approval), but yet you take issue that you never said the exact words I paraphrased?
Unable to man up and apologize getting called out on your lie?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:33 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
In fairness, that's an outright lie, I've never said that. And yes, I'd encourage you search every single one of my posts to try and find where I said.
Fine...corrected:

n fairness, some (bacon most notably) would rather imply that because nothing bad has happened for 80 years, so regulation isn't required
Old 01-14-2016, 06:46 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Fine...corrected:

n fairness, some (bacon most notably) would rather imply that because nothing bad has happened for 80 years, so regulation isn't required
Uh, no, that's outright lie #2. I've never even referenced the AMA's claim of an 80 year accident free history and I have nothing against registration.

If you actually read and my posts, you'd realize I'm one of the very few who agree with you on the importance of safety.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Nobody has brought down an airplane buy hitting a home run with a baseball yet either. So I guess we should register baseballs!
Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

EXACTLY ... you hit the nail on the head ... the fact that there is no risk to the operator of the unmanned sUAS/UAS (or MR, or drone, or model aircraft, or traditional model, or thingamajig, or whatever tortured wording someone tries to use as justification for saying that something doesn't apply).

If folks who want to go above 1000 will put their lives at risk if there's a midair with a full scale, then go for it, they have my support because now they've got a vested interest in making sure they know when manned aircraft are in the area. I suspect there would be more spotters, more telemetry, and not a lot of headphone wearing while flying their aerobatic routine (to which I ask how would they hear an airplane approaching from behind....)
I'm at one field or another every day unless it so bad it's unflyable. the one I frequint in the winter in JA AZ is located 8 miles from KFZZ and 10 from KIAW and 24 from KPHX in line with the both the LOCalizers for West bound traffic and the Arrival rout from the east. They are always Well over 3300 feet above us more like around 6000 or 7000 MSL or 4700 to 6700 AGL. even commercial airliners going into KIWA Williams field 10 miles to the SSW are well above 1500'AGL when cleared for a Visual Approach. We have a lot of GA traffic and Military AH-64 apache's coming from LFZZ Falcon Field but very few fly directly over us because they know we are there and avoid us. Same thing with Med Helios they Avoid direct over flight because they know we are there.

Next any of U are at your favorite flying field (AMA or NOT) keep a record of the number type and approximate distance and altitude from your field and the amount of time U have from when U first heard them and direction. I'll wager if U aren't under an approach with in 5 miles of a towered airport or a field that has a large flight school you'll be lucky to see 1 or 2 a day that even come close to being a problem. It's just not a problem at 99.999% of Registered AMA or other model fields.

Sorry Crispy no room to double space.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Change had to happen there were just too many incidences/complaints and people rubbing the authority’s noses in the lack of enforceable laws/rules or bylaws.

Ever give it any thought that you guys (including many AMA members) are the source of your own headaches? Instead of offering up help in how to best address the concerns of both sides all I hear is:

No one can tell me what to do!
I refuse to yada yada yada!
Ignore them they don’t have the resources to enforce anything.
Its my constitutional right (which is cow dung RC wasn’t around when your constitution was drawn up) ding dongs.

On an on no thought on working with the FAA or reaching an agreement of compromise. A silly all or nothing mentality that’s gotten you guys what you deserve. The FAA just sticks all of you with the harsh reality of regulation/registration and let the AMA members struggle to get some of the privileges back.

Dennis
Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

And yet another conclusion reached without any consideration given to the impending explosion of commercial drones in the sky. Let's just make it all about the AMA and it's members, too funny!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Its my constitutional right (which is cow dung RC wasn’t around when your constitution was drawn up) ding dongs.
That doesn't matter, read the 9th and 10th amendments. Especially the 9th. It is still relevant today. Don't know where to look it up? If not shame on you!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That doesn't matter, read the 9th and 10th amendments. Especially the 9th. It is still relevant today. Don't know where to look it up? If not shame on you!
Sporty, I'm tired of listening to all the Harvard Law professors and Harvard Law graduates discussing whether Ted Cruz is a natural born citizen.

Which is it?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I ordered these off of FleaBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262204258972...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172036559611...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They should be in today's delivery...
Old 01-14-2016, 10:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sporty, I'm tired of listening to all the Harvard Law professors and Harvard Law graduates discussing whether Ted Cruz is a natural born citizen.

Which is it?
Do you understand that politics are mostly made of lies? It only takes one natural born parent to be a citizen last I looked. But It depends on when he was born. IMO they should set up some board for clearing candidates for minimum qualifications. People still say Obama's birth certificate is a forgery.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Do you understand that politics are mostly made of lies? It only takes one natural born parent to be a citizen last I looked. But It depends on when he was born. IMO they should set up some board for clearing candidates for minimum qualifications. People still say Obama's birth certificate is a forgery.
It was a yes or no question.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes he is a citizen. If the law when he was born required only one citizen parent. Pretty sure it did.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
And yet another conclusion reached without any consideration given to the impending explosion of commercial drones in the sky. Let's just make it all about the AMA and it's members, too funny!
Not at all we have all the same problems in Canada as does every country in the world. Its not just the US inundated with the proliferation of these drones and the general public flyers.. The difference being the association members are going the extra distance to work with and placate their aviation board and general public where it appears you fellows in the US have taken the adversarial road. Not very smart as you have found out. Transport Canada hasn't shut down fields because of proximity to sensitive areas. We still retain the ability to fly FPV line of sight with a spotter. We don't have height restrictions at MAAC fields. In fact as of this point things for us have not changed other than we have been asked to practice extra care and consideration while enjoying our hobby. The USA is the only country that is in direct aggressive conflict or adversarial path with its aviation body. Instead of working pro-actively with your FAA you now are in the position of damage control. Not to sharp in my opinion.

Dennis
Old 01-14-2016, 11:55 AM
HoundDog

Sporty what's the constitution got to do with the FAA/DOT/NTSB The IRS were here first. If anyone has constitutional rights the IRS does. Your constitutional rights have been violated so much in the last 100 years and the most violation has been in the last 8. But that's Political and I didn't say that Really I Didn't, Key board just typed it all by it's self .....
Old 01-14-2016, 12:02 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2

They should be in today's delivery..
Changed all my wing bolts to the fiber glass with the tab on them so I don't have to use tools on my planes. I also put Hatch latches on my big P-47 canopies NOW NO TOOLS NEEDED HERE.
Wonder if I let my finger nails grow, Would they be considered TOOLS if I used them as screw drivers.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2

They should be in today's delivery...
I love it....capitalism at it's best!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 PM
HoundDog

Hey Chrispy where the He[[ is Somewhere it ain't next to Nowhere either. Can U give a hint atleast...
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Propworn
Not at all we have all the same problems in Canada as does every country in the world. Its not just the US inundated with the proliferation of these drones and the general public flyers.. The difference being the association members are going the extra distance to work with and placate their aviation board and general public where it appears you fellows in the US have taken the adversarial road. Not very smart as you have found out. Transport Canada hasn't shut down fields because of proximity to sensitive areas. We still retain the ability to fly FPV line of sight with a spotter. We don't have height restrictions at MAAC fields. In fact as of this point things for us have not changed other than we have been asked to practice extra care and consideration while enjoying our hobby. The USA is the only country that is in direct aggressive conflict or adversarial path with its aviation body. Instead of working pro-actively with your FAA you now are in the position of damage control. Not to sharp in my opinion.

Dennis
Yup well, we all can't be like Canada. At the end of the day I'll take "our ways" over others any day thanks, for better or worse.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey Chrispy where the He[[ is Somewhere it ain't next to Nowhere either. Can U give a hint atleast...
No, it's not next to nowhere silly, somewhere is right over there. See?
Old 01-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

Yes he is a citizen. If the law when he was born required only one citizen parent. Pretty sure it did.
Ok, about the law at the time. I was recalling the McCain case, but that was bogus as well. There has been no laws changed, and the US has been accepting only one parent when born outside the US for all other matters. So it should for US President. I would say that more importantly as far as that factor fo r voting for him is how much foreign influence that is. Well, not that much. Yes he had one Canadian parent but then that is one of fhe least foreign countries. And he is politically conservative and Canada is very liberal.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 PM
thepamster

Urgh!!!!! Well I have had enough of this thread. Besides, I registered yesterday.
See ya.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:06 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

So you didn't read the article that says his parents were Canadian citizens at the time he was born?
Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

I read that one parent was a natural born citizen. Or maybe it was watching news. Never heard that both were Canadian. But actually one could be a naturalized born citizen and Canadian citizen by marriage, if so that would be legal as well. There is not barrier to any elected office for dual citizenship and even less so if your parents have dual citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.