Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:25 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
And yet another conclusion reached without any consideration given to the impending explosion of commercial drones in the sky. Let's just make it all about the AMA and it's members, too funny!
Luckily commercial use of drones is being controlled much better than hobby use. I don't see an "explosion" coming.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:28 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I read that one parent was a natural born citizen. Or maybe it was watching news. Never heard that both were Canadian. But actually one could be a naturalized born citizen and Canadian citizen by marriage, if so that would be legal as well. There is not barrier to any elected office for dual citizenship and even less so if your parents have dual citizenship.
The mother was born a US citizen, the father was born a Cuban citizen. However, both were registered voters in Canada when Ted was born and to be a registered voter in Canada you had to be a Canadian citizen. Whether or not they had dual citizenship has not be discussed that I have seen.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the mother formally renounced her citizenship then she had dual citizenship. But with politics its hard to say what is true.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Luckily commercial use of drones is being controlled much better than hobby use. I don't see an "explosion" coming.
That's odd since the AMA was the only non commercial type of entity involved in the discussions etc.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:58 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
So you didn't read the article that says his parents were Canadian citizens at the time he was born?
Don't Matter we ain;t has a christian american born for
[h=2]2551 days Or 6 years, 11 months, 26 days including the end date[/h]To and including: Thursday, January 14, 2016
Old 01-14-2016, 03:09 PM
franklin_m

Nobody has brought down an airplane buy hitting a home run with a baseball yet either. So I guess we should register baseballs!
Hey, rather than talk about baseballs, how about coming up with the source for your comment that members of the ultralight association get privileges in the airspace that other ultralight pilots do not.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

I believer there is a misunderstanding. You might have thought it was what does USUA members have privileges over non-members. And I thought I was giving privileges over other pilot or aircraft owners. As I said that would be no requirement to license, no requirement for FAA inspection of vehicle, and especially no requirement to register. So on that last requirement they have a privilege over modelers as well.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:20 PM
HoundDog

I believer there is a misunderstanding. You might have thought it was what does USUA members have privileges over non-members. And I thought I was giving privileges over other pilot or aircraft owners. As I said that would be no requirement to license, no requirement for FAA inspection of vehicle, and especially no requirement to register. So on that last requirement they have a privilege over modelers as well.
U bet USUA members do and a lot of them are bigger Idiots than some Drone Flyers. But not many Ultra lighters fly around in the approach paths of towered airports. Most don't anything to do with a towered airport.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:28 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
EXACTLY ... you hit the nail on the head ... the fact that there is no risk to the operator of the unmanned sUAS/UAS (or MR, or drone, or model aircraft, or traditional model, or thingamajig, or whatever tortured wording someone tries to use as justification for saying that something doesn't apply).

If folks who want to go above 1000 will put their lives at risk if there's a midair with a full scale, then go for it, they have my support because now they've got a vested interest in making sure they know when manned aircraft are in the area. I suspect there would be more spotters, more telemetry, and not a lot of headphone wearing while flying their aerobatic routine (to which I ask how would they hear an airplane approaching from behind....)
I don't agree with this. I have a vested interest whether on the ground or in the air. I would never want to cause harm to someone. When I fly FPV LOS or BLOS I am very cautious and even use an app to see what flights are around the area. I also always have a spotter with me. I also do not fly in an area where a commercial plane would be lower than 10-15 thousand feet. Not everyone has to fly in a highly populated/congested/high air traffic area. Not everyone just takes to the skies without any thought to safety. In fact I believe it to be a very small minority who are flying unsafe. I was just as cautious when I was flying a 172 as I am when flying RC. Also, you can clearly see an RC craft of any decent size at 1000', so I would hope you would see/here a full scale coming your way.

One thing that stands out to me in all these debates is location, location, location! Almost everyone posting that shows there location is around a highly populated city with a decent amount of air traffic. I would never fly BLOS in any of he areas you guys fly. No way. Not safe at all. FPV in general can be done in a very safe manor depending on location.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
The real problem here, is that there is NO RISK TO THE OPERATOR of the drone. Therefore, safety measures are not as likely to be adhered to by the owner of a model plane, like on a full scale aircraft. People see them as toys, or as a camera platform that works wonders for their iPhone photo album. While consumer drones have limits built in (the Parrot drone can't fly over 330 feet), a typical model airplane does NOT. So with a standard 2.4 ghz radio, you can fly over 1,500 feet, and STILL see the plane. I have seen this done before MANY times at the field. When the multi-rotors start seeing the limits, I see no doubt that they will just put their cameras on regular model airplanes to get around the 5 mile geofencing radius.

And again, flying a radio controlled model airplane is NOT a right. It is a PRIVILEGE. More regulation may be the only way to keep the hobby going, because ANYTHING radio-controlled can be banned entirely if an incident ever does happen.
Why would anyone want to get around a 5 mile geofencing radius????

to the second part I underlined............BS. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I'm not harming anybody flying RC and it brings me happiness. Why don't we just restrict everything and put everyone in a bubble so not a single person will ever get so much as a scratch again. Dang!!!!! Why do so many poeple like to be controlled and told what to do?!?!?!?!?
Old 01-15-2016, 06:47 AM
mike1974

Fine...corrected:

n fairness, some (bacon most notably) would rather imply that because nothing bad has happened for 80 years, so regulation isn't required
Yes, absolutely correct!!!!! What other potential harms do you want to regulate?????
Old 01-15-2016, 06:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

Franklin wants to regulate everything, and get permission from the FAA before we take off. Maybe go to the nearest FAA inspector and K!$$ his &$$.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:51 AM
HoundDog

Say hello to the AirMule, an unmanned aircraft that can carry a half-ton payload

http://news.yahoo.com/hello-airmule-...000710721.html
Old 01-15-2016, 07:05 AM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by maximusminimus
I think it's either Kansas or Kentucky that allows you to apply for and purchase a permit to fly rc...once obtained, you can fly in of the state parks or just about anywhere, where it isn't specifically stated that you cannot. From my understanding, they even have their own safety code, registration etc and mirrors the AMA. That being the case, then that would be a CBO too.
But do they have the insurance to cover any incidents , this is why we are at this point today flying rc aircraft everywhere , these planes will hurt you or kill you they should not be allowed to be flown in parks schools soccer fields football fields , this is why the FAA got involved come on guys I have flown at AMA fields since 1985 flying fields are a long way out for a reason safety for all and not endangering the public my planes swing a 32x10 carbon fiber prop 29x10 prop they will cut you half in to , we don't need any more incidents , I can see it now rc aircraft loses control kills 3 children at park on a picnic , something like that could end the hobby FLY AT AMA FIELDS GUYS DONT TAKE THAT CHANCE !!!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 AM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=mike1974;12162124]I don't agree with this. I have a vested interest whether on the ground or in the air. I would never want to cause harm to someone. When I fly FPV LOS or BLOS I am very cautious and even use an app to see what flights are around the area. I also always have a spotter with me. I also do not fly in an area where a commercial plane would be lower than 10-15 thousand feet. Not everyone has to fly in a highly populated/congested/high air traffic area. Not everyone just takes to the skies without any thought to safety. In fact I believe it to be a very small minority who are flying unsafe. I was just as cautious when I was flying a 172 as I am when flying RC. Also, you can clearly see an RC craft of any decent size at 1000', so I would hope you would see/here a full scale coming your way.

One thing that stands out to me in all these debates is location, location, location! Almost everyone posting that shows there location is around a highly populated city with a decent amount of air traffic. I would never fly BLOS in any of he areas you guys fly. No way. Not safe at all. FPV in general can be done in a very safe manor depending on location.
[/QUOTE
]
BRAVO ... It's where U fly that makes the difference BLOS FPV is not detrimental to anyone when kept down and dirty ... Come get me with your 450 knot Military plane. Besides GA doesn't belong below 1000' AGL except for TO and Landing ... Just Because it's legal doesn't make it smart.
How many times do I have to Post FAR 91.119 (b)

(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

According to th PHX FSDO Any Occupied R/C field or 2 people on a blanket having a Picnic is an air assembly of persons,"Now Look at ourR/C field in Apache Junction/Mesa AZ. Not the 200' Nigh High tension towers directly
1,189.60 ft to the 176 degrees True from the center of oyr Run Way. Now per FAR 91.119(b) when any full scale air planes gets with in 2000' Horizontal distance from that tower and ou R/C field is Occupied by 2 or more people that Pilot is required to be 1300' Minimum AGL. Not 500' like most people think. That's according to the PHX FAA FSDO.

Google map of Superstition Air Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4412...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Now Google your favorit R/C glying spot and see what is the loest Elevation Air craft are permitted to fly over AGL . according to the FAR 91.119 (b)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.119

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-15-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mike1974
I don't agree with this. I have a vested interest whether on the ground or in the air. I would never want to cause harm to someone. When I fly FPV LOS or BLOS....
I would point out that if you're flying BLOS, then you're violating AMA safety guidelines, and also no longer considered a "model aircraft" under PL112-95 section 336. Thus you are also breaking the law.

So as a lawbreaker, why should we have confidence in your level of safety? After all, you're already violating.

Thus this is precisely the reason why I think the FAA needs to act.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 AM
franklin_m

Yes, absolutely correct!!!!! What other potential harms do you want to regulate?????
I am focused on getting an absolute prohibition against non-commercial BLOS flight, a 400' AGL limit on ALL non-commercial sUAS/UAS flights nationwide, and a streamlined process for those who have a justifiable need to exceed that being able to file for a NOTAM - thus ensuring manned aircraft are affirmatively notified of higher altitude sUAS/UAS traffic in the area.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 AM
franklin_m

Franklin wants to regulate everything, and get permission from the FAA before we take off. Maybe go to the nearest FAA inspector and K!$$ his &$$.
A little thick on the hyperbole today eh? See below.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yeah, McCain thought he could do all because he was a Navy pilot. He thought wrong.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:13 AM
mike1974

I would point out that if you're flying BLOS, then you're violating AMA safety guidelines, and also no longer considered a "model aircraft" under PL112-95 section 336. Thus you are also breaking the law.

So as a lawbreaker, why should we have confidence in your level of safety? After all, you're already violating.

Thus this is precisely the reason why I think the FAA needs to act.
Can you please point me to the LAW that I am breaking. Cmon man!!!!! Seriously?? Because I occasisonaly fly BLOS in a remote area with basically zero air traffic I don't care about safety and the FAA needs to act?? Really??

Do you ever speed while driving Franklin? Maybe you should lose your license? So as a lawbreaker, why should we have confidence in your level of operating a vehicle safely? After all, You're already violating. The DOT should act NOW!!!!

Interesting about no longer being a model aircraft. Does it transform into something different? Funny thing is, everytime I land it is still just an RC foam glider. Hmmm......

Last edited by mike1974; 01-15-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:24 AM
mike1974

I am focused on getting an absolute prohibition against non-commercial BLOS flight, a 400' AGL limit on ALL non-commercial sUAS/UAS flights nationwide, and a streamlined process for those who have a justifiable need to exceed that being able to file for a NOTAM - thus ensuring manned aircraft are affirmatively notified of higher altitude sUAS/UAS traffic in the area.
You want to implement all those restrictions for a possible safety issue that has yet to even happen? You want to limit RC to 400ft? Cool, so you want to severly limit the hobby of RC, make criminals out of law abiding citizens and slow the growth of new RC technology. Awesome!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Hey, rather than talk about baseballs, how about coming up with the source for your comment that members of the ultralight association get privileges in the airspace that other ultralight pilots do not.
Speaking of sources, I'm still waiting:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12161509
Old 01-15-2016, 08:52 AM
franklin_m

Can you please point me to the LAW that I am breaking. Cmon man!!!!! Seriously?? Because I occasisonaly fly BLOS in a remote area with basically zero air traffic I don't care about safety and the FAA needs to act?? Really??

Interesting about no longer being a model aircraft. Does it transform into something different? Funny thing is, everytime I land it is still just an RC foam glider. Hmmm......
Laws breaking?

PL112-95 Section 336 para (c)(2) in that the sUAS being flown BLOS by you is NOT being "flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft"

One could then argue that because you're breaking that law and operating BLOS despite the prohibition, then you are not operating "carelessly or recklessly" in violation of another law 14 CFR 91.13 through 9.15.

Now, as to being no longer a model aircraft, that is correct. When you operate BLOS, as you've admitted to doing, then you are no longer considered a "model aircraft" as defined in PL112-95 Section 336. By your own admission you are violating the community based standards that are also required to be considered a "model aircraft" under the law.

Lastly, when operating BLOS as you've admitted, and since you're no longer considered a "model aircraft" under the law, you are subject to all of the FARs, including FAR 91.113, the "see and avoid" which, as you have aided vision (other than glasses or contacts), are by definition violating.

Last edited by franklin_m; 01-15-2016 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Corrected 112-95 S336 citation
Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Speaking of sources, I'm still waiting:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12161509
From a guy who lists his location as "somewhere" and uses "Chris P. Bacon" to comment on others.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

From a guy who lists his location as "somewhere" and uses "Chris P. Bacon" to comment on others.
When your sole objective of coming here is to prod and mess with people to feed a need to troll, one hides their true identity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.