Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:06 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Always on the lookout for the 0.01% bad apples to try and prove your point and make your case against the AMA.
That's a very precise number, three significant digits. Exactly what data is it based upon? I'd also note that as I recall AMA claims have been going up - didn't they comment on that in a not too distant MA piece? So I'm not so sure the picture is as rosy.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TheEdge
This brings back fond parenting memories.
Amen my Friend , course at least back then , they were our own children we were dealing with ........

Originally Posted by franklin_m
That's a very precise number, three significant digits. Exactly what data is it based upon? I'd also note that as I recall AMA claims have been going up - didn't they comment on that in a not too distant MA piece? So I'm not so sure the picture is as rosy.
Franklin , Don't you know how this works ? Chris can pull any number or fact out of his ass and it's to be taken as God's law fact , no questions allowed . But when WE post something , we're required to footnote 4 direct sources for his highness to dispute and claim they're all false .

PS , please note the use of not one , but TWO sarcastic smileys , and remember , Chris himself has admitted he's not here for model airplanes , he's here , as he himself put it , "for the entertainment value only , you just can't make up some of this stuff" and so when responding to him , I consider his reason for being here and measure my response accordingly ........
Old 01-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a very precise number, three significant digits. Exactly what data is it based upon?

Although it's not accurate as the size of the AMA membership is in a constant state of change. I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt as I don't recall anywhere near ~0.01% members here stating they were AMA members flying BLOS.

I'd also note that as I recall AMA claims have been going up - didn't they comment on that in a not too distant MA piece?

But are those claims a direct result of violating the safety code?

So I'm not so sure the picture is as rosy.

The picture will never be rosy in mind, well, maybe if the AMA went out of business....
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think sales figures are in yet, but wasn't the estimate something like 700K just this holiday season? I also remember hearing either Huerta or Gibson quote some numbers about increasing number of incidents involving sUAS/UAS? What matters I think is that the numbers of units is going up, and the number of incidents being reported to FAA are going up. If the number of units goes up even more, they fully expect the number of incidents to continue to rise.

As for how many AMA members fly BLOS and/or percentage of the AMA membership, does it really matter? AMA is telling FAA that its members are not the problem, when clearly some are. FAA, and especially Congressional staffers (young folks mostly) know how to search youtube and other places for a "sense" of what's happening. When I was interviewed for a local media outlet on registration, the reporter mentioned things she'd seen and read on RCG. I found it pretty refreshing that she'd done that level of research.

I for one believe AMA members need to be seen by everyone as following the AMA guidelines all the time, and most definitely following the law. I also think we should be collecting leading indicator data, for FAA is continuing to collect data. Trying to counter quantitative data from a Federal agency with incomplete - at best qualitative comments - is usually a loser.
If an AMA member flies BLOS, they are in violation of the safety code.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my ama. I'm a life member. I also have my faa number. I will continue to fly my models as I always have! I fly model airplane and helicopters just like before! I will continue as tho nothing has changed. I joined the ama long ago. I was 8 year's old. I do not own a drone. I do not have any cameras on anything I own.. I only fly at ama clubs. I don't understand. I can go out and fly my ultralight with out any issues what so ever. I will stick with the ama rules. After all we all joined the academy of Model Aeronautics to protect us!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Sorry, when people and more importantly, profit driven companies are left to their own devices, with no checks or balances in place...bad things happen.
HMMM...you mean kind of like the AMA trying to embrace the drones?

Astro
Old 01-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog

Astro
Do I hear 723?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Astro
We're not going back to that again are we? Next time quote the whole statement, then try to make it fit your AMA narrative.

Really? Just control and money eh? Not safety....not to protect consumers, citizens, and heck even the fishies? None of those licenses and regulations are for that?

Sorry, when people and more importantly, profit driven companies are left to their own devices, with no checks or balances in place...bad things happen.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 AM
astrohog

We're not going back to that again are we? Next time quote the whole statement, then try to make it fit your AMA narrative.

Really? Just control and money eh? Not safety....not to protect consumers, citizens, and heck even the fishies? None of those licenses and regulations are for that?

Doesn't make a difference if the whole post is quoted or not.

Your first sentence speaks to the FAA and their new requirement to register, your second statement definitely applies to what actions the AMA took.

Astro
Old 01-17-2016, 08:35 AM
astrohog

Do I hear 723?
I see 77.96%

Astro
Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I see 77.96%

Astro
77.96% of 0 = 0.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Astro
How about a magic 14 update?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Doesn't make a difference if the whole post is quoted or not.

Your first sentence speaks to the FAA and their new requirement to register, your second statement definitely applies to what actions the AMA took.

Astro
It doesn't make a difference if you want to partially quote something to drive your own point home, but that's completely different than what I was saying. Nowhere did I speak to the FAA or AMA, but you didn't bother to read back to see who I was quoting and what he was talking about (not the FAA or AMA specifically). For that matter the person he (HD) was quoting didn't either, but it looks like you wanted to try to refer it all back to the AMA.....o/k, have at it.

We were all discussing broader, more big picture issues about "them" ie pretty much any authoritative body, in this case the big bad gubmint. Yet another broad-stroke oversimplified comment about "them" and "it" being all about "control and money". 99.99% of people could probably see I was responding to the need for oversight and some structure or elements of control, since when left to our own devices (commercial entities as well), everyone would be off doing their own thing, and chaos and havoc would reign. Folks love to rail on about the govt but usually fail to recognize all the benefits of same.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 AM
astrohog

77.96% of 0 = 0.
I believe this is what YOU call........AIR!!!!

Astro
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 AM
astrohog

It doesn't make a difference if you want to partially quote something to drive your own point home, but that's completely different than what I was saying. Nowhere did I speak to the FAA or AMA, but you didn't bother to read back to see who I was quoting and what he was talking about (not the FAA or AMA specifically). For that matter the person he (HD) was quoting didn't either, but it looks like you wanted to try to refer it all back to the AMA.....o/k, have at it.

We were all discussing broader, more big picture issues about "them" ie pretty much any authoritative body, in this case the big bad gubmint. Yet another broad-stroke oversimplified comment about "them" and "it" being all about "control and money". 99.99% of people could probably see I was responding to the need for oversight and some structure or elements of control, since when left to our own devices (commercial entities as well), everyone would be off doing their own thing, and chaos and havoc would reign. Folks love to rail on about the govt but usually fail to recognize all the benefits of same.
HUH? Same as usual from you. Words are words. They have meaning. Anyone that can read and comprehend the English language can clearly see how my reply to your quote relates to your overall platform here, and how it shows how you contradict yourself to suit your needs.

Carry on...I know you will!

Regards,

Astro
Old 01-17-2016, 09:33 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

HUH? Same as usual from you. Words are words. They have meaning. Anyone that can read and comprehend the English language can clearly see how my reply to your quote relates to your overall platform here, and how it shows how you contradict yourself to suit your needs.

Carry on...I know you will!

Regards,

Astro

Admirable attempt though to make it seem like something else. Very creative. A natural.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
If an AMA member flies BLOS, they are in violation of the safety code.
Yep, I agree. And they're in these forums boasting about it because they decided for themselves that it's safe. All while the AMA is trying to tell FAA that its members are not the problem.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I believe this is what YOU call........AIR!!!!

Astro
Nope, zero has always equaled zero.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yep, I agree. And they're in these forums boasting about it because they decided for themselves that it's safe. All while the AMA is trying to tell FAA that its members are not the problem.
How many?
Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 AM
astrohog

Nope, zero has always equaled zero.
Not sure what ZERO you are referring to, but since you are so big at just posting links, here is the 77.96% that I was referring to:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...ce-drones.html

Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Regards,

Astro
Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Not sure what ZERO you are referring to, but since you are so big at just posting links, here is the 77.96% that I was referring to:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...ce-drones.html

Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Regards,

Astro
How many are actually even AMA members?
Old 01-17-2016, 10:12 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

That isn't what the poll question asked.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Russell_C

I registered earlier this week, so that answers the forum question. Yesterday, the club I belong to voted to ban all multi-rotors and FPV flying. The club also voted that all flying must be done by radio control, not computer programs, and the pilot has to be in control at all times. All flying is LOS. And since we fly at an airport, we all must have FAA numbers and registration by February's deadline. Some would say this is draconian, but since my club flies at an airport and the airport authorities have already called into question the new FAA rules we felt the need to protect our club. (We have always flown with the AMA guidelines, plus the airport's restrictions.)

Happy landings!
Russ

Last edited by Russell_C; 01-17-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:17 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amen Russ. They need to be in a category of there own!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:18 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All that we can do is try to reign in or members (AMA) and try to educate them, if they are engaged in these activities. I am certainly going to push hard to ensure BLOS flying does not occur at my club field. I think it would be the death knell for our hobby if this aspect is not kept under control.

Last edited by vertical grimmace; 01-17-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.