Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How in the world can you consider 300K a big number? They sold over a million last month, that is likely almost a million new owners in one month alone and millions sold in the past! Also they were at 200K almost a month ago so 300k is slowing down. Not much more will be added now that it's not free.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:21 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
......... You're looking past the fact that many of these that were sold did not meet the weight requirement.........
Every time I've seen the "million drone march" mentioned it's made me wonder exactly what you've mentioned , and ;

How many of these million drones are owned by folks who own more than one drone ? I for one can count just over 40 airframes in my collection and I'm "small taters" compared to other folks in my club ! Are all these million drones really owned one each by a single person , or are there people out there with 2 or 20 or more drones themselves ? Between the tiny "Air Hogz" units being counted among the million and multiple UAS owned by one person , It's not surprising that "only" 300K registered in the first month .
Old 01-25-2016, 02:24 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

First they said nobody would register...now 300,000 in a month or so is "slowing". Gotta have it both ways I guess.

Not sure what someone's salary has to do with anything, or 10% of that???. When I see hard and fast, or at least close to accurate numbers I'll disagree that there were a million new drones sold that would require actual registration.

Nobody thinks every "drone" that should be registered is going to be. I bet the FAA is surprised that 300,000 have registered. I'm sure the numbers will continue to rise, and along with it the sentiment that barely any of the people are registering who should. It's very hard to get to the precise figure too.

I project the numbers slowing to a barely perceptible crawl of 500,000 by the end of Feb.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Every time I've seen the "million drone march" mentioned it's made me wonder exactly what you've mentioned , and ;

How many of these million drones are owned by folks who own more than one drone ? I for one can count just over 40 airframes in my collection and I'm "small taters" compared to other folks in my club ! Are all these million drones really owned one each by a single person , or are there people out there with 2 or 20 or more drones themselves ? Between the tiny "Air Hogz" units being counted among the million and multiple UAS owned by one person , It's not surprising that "only" 300K registered in the first month .
Based on the droners I know...they are as sick as the rest of us....nobody has just one. Or 5.....or.....
Old 01-25-2016, 06:14 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely, I wonder too how many of these "million drones sold at Christmas" are under 250 Grams? I saw a definite increase in the number of people flying them at my local park since Christmas. All of them are the small plastic toy type that are well under 250 grams.

Here are some of the most popular ready to fly drones - 70% on this page are so small they do not require the owner to register. That leaves 30% that do need registration...

What is 30% of a Million Sport?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration...gistration.pdf

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-25-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

If only it were that easy...that goalpost was moved earlier...now we have 3 million owners.

I think the math will continue to unfold where there are 10 times as many owners as those registered.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:39 PM
N410DC

I wonder how many of the 3 million drone owners are even aware of the FAA's registration policy. Yes, it would be nice for the stores that sell these things to let their customers know abut the requirement, but they know that some potential buyers will walk away once they learn that they have to submit personal information to the federal government to fly the thing in their back yard. At best, the customers will buy a smaller, cheaper drone that does not require registration, thereby cutting into the store's bottom line. The larger stores (e.g. WalMart) have very few sales staff who are aware of the regulations, and they are not going to spend the time and money that's needed to train all of their clerks, nationwide.

If the stores do not pick up the ball, then many people are going to continue to be uninformed about the new regulation. I know ignorance is not excuse for violating a law, but nonetheless, there is a 0% chance that a given individual will follow a law that they do not know about.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:42 PM
cj_rumley

I expect AMA poobahs would have wet dreams over an avg 10,000 signups/day. Membership would double in a few weeks and soon catch up with Junior Birdmen numbers, back in the days before AMA existed.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by N410DC
I wonder how many of the 3 million drone owners are even aware of the FAA's registration policy. Yes, it would be nice for the stores that sell these things to let their customers know abut the requirement, but they know that some potential buyers will walk away once they learn that they have to submit personal information to the federal government to fly the thing in their back yard. At best, the customers will buy a smaller, cheaper drone that does not require registration, thereby cutting into the store's bottom line. The larger stores (e.g. WalMart) have very few sales staff who are aware of the regulations, and they are not going to spend the time and money that's needed to train all of their clerks, nationwide.

If the stores do not pick up the ball, then many people are going to continue to be uninformed about the new regulation. I know ignorance is not excuse for violating a law, but nonetheless, there is a 0% chance that a given individual will follow a law that they do not know about.
Again, I'm not sure where the numbers are coming from here....3 million owners? And again, it's not clear that everyone of these being sold needs to be registered, so that's not on the store nor the owner to be responsible for. I wouldn't be shocked to see point of sale registration for the bigger heavier ones, that would make it easy all around.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I expect AMA poobahs would have wet dreams over an avg 10,000 signups/day. Membership would double in a few weeks and soon catch up with Junior Birdmen numbers, back in the days before AMA existed.
I would guess they would be happy with 10,000 new members in a year, let alone each day.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

I doubt most drone owners own more than one or two drones.

I don't think the report included toys but may have included the more sophisticated but less than .55 pound models.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
First they said nobody would register...now 300,000 in a month or so is "slowing". Gotta have it both ways I guess.

Not sure what someone's salary has to do with anything, or 10% of that???. When I see hard and fast, or at least close to accurate numbers I'll disagree that there were a million new drones sold that would require actual registration.

Nobody thinks every "drone" that should be registered is going to be. I bet the FAA is surprised that 300,000 have registered. I'm sure the numbers will continue to rise, and along with it the sentiment that barely any of the people are registering who should. It's very hard to get to the precise figure too.

I project the numbers slowing to a barely perceptible crawl of 500,000 by the end of Feb.
I don't think anyone claimed that nobody would register, but 300,000 is less than I expected. That 500,000 number would be a very poor result.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Absolutely, I wonder too how many of these "million drones sold at Christmas" are under 250 Grams? I saw a definite increase in the number of people flying them at my local park since Christmas. All of them are the small plastic toy type that are well under 250 grams.

Here are some of the most popular ready to fly drones - 70% on this page are so small they do not require the owner to register. That leaves 30% that do need registration...

What is 30% of a Million Sport?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration...gistration.pdf
That was over a million sold in just one month. Last year December sales was about 400K, and likely a million for the year. So that's almost 3 million sold last year. So I do not think 3 million owners is such a stretch.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:29 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That was over a million sold in just one month. Last year December sales was about 400K, and likely a million for the year. So that's almost 3 million sold last year. So I do not think 3 million owners is such a stretch.
You might be right, its hard to find accurate statistics anywhere. I'm curious how the registration numbers pan out over the next few months too. Time will tell.

Reading a few of the threads over on RCG, at least some people are now starting to realise they can't just fly their Phantoms anywhere they want. With the B4UFly app from the FAA telling you very clearly where you can and can't fly.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

How many of those are over the minimum weight requirement for registration?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

You might be right, its hard to find accurate statistics anywhere. I'm curious how the registration numbers pan out over the next few months too. Time will tell.

Reading a few of the threads over on RCG, at least some people are now starting to realise they can't just fly their Phantoms anywhere they want. With the B4UFly app from the FAA telling you very clearly where you can and can't fly.
Estimates are estimates. I agree with your earlier statement where it will take a year or so before the numbers are somewhat accurate. The word still needs to get out regarding the registration requirement and minds need to change regarding the process. Lot of folks still in denial about the requirement.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:38 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Estimates are estimates. I agree with your earlier statement where it will take a year or so before the numbers are somewhat accurate. The word still needs to get out regarding the registration requirement and minds need to change regarding the process. Lot of folks still in denial about the requirement.
Yes that is true, I see people taking a defiant stand too, refusing to register and grounding themselves indefinitely or giving the hobby away. To the FAA that is just a bonus.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yes that is true, I see people taking a defiant stand too, refusing to register and grounding themselves indefinitely or giving the hobby away. To the FAA that is just a bonus.
IMHO it's going to take time for some to come to grips with it, get comfortable with it, and finally break down and register. A few good examples of those fined along the way will help. It's human nature and feeling run deep. That's why I think the one year estimate is realistic.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by N410DC

they learn that they have to submit personal information to the federal government to fly the thing
My God Name Address Phone Number and Email. Nothing that every computer in the world can't find out. Most every one U deal with from Your CC company to our church already has that INFO in triplicate. Maybe the Feds along with registration (Like 300 Million Guns) Should register EVERY R/C TOY airplane Helio Glider and Quad/Drone, Not just the pilot and pay a $25 fee do do so. That way we would have something to cry about. If the AMA would have kept their Traps shut till the FAA tried to do something but NO they had to try (Through Congress) to preempt the FAA. That just Pissed the FAA off, Now look what we have. Now they/WE/Me/U ***** about having to spend $5 to get a 10 digit alphanumeric number and puti in/on your R/C TOY. Quit whining just do it stop pissing off the FEDS. U/we/me/ the AMA ain't gona win and the more we try the worse it WILL GET. Now let's all shut up comply and they will forget about us and go after the real threat ... Drones (like they would have in the first place) that fly near Full Scale Air Liners. PERIOD.
Keep messing with the FAA and we will loose all our right to the NAS. JMHO but then:

Old 01-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
IMHO it's going to take time for some to come to grips with it, get comfortable with it, and finally break down and register. A few good examples of those fined along the way will help. It's human nature and feeling run deep. That's why I think the one year estimate is realistic.
I don't think you are understanding that we won't have to register. Just use our AMA number.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:34 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I doubt most drone owners own more than one or two drones.

I don't think the report included toys but may have included the more sophisticated but less than .55 pound models.
Got a number of "Lectric" guys in the club with Multiple drones and most with GPS and a few with FPV ... There drones are Mostly Scratch built ... Lots better Parts and cheaper too. Besides they fly with the club out here in the desert when the closet house is 2400' to the south were we can't fly to the west the closest is over 4000' west and North is 1.1 miles, NNE 4100' and East across 3 major roads a whopping 2.57 miles. Also according to the FAA FSDO at Scotsdale AZ the Lowest altitude any aircraft but Police and Medic can fl is 1300' AGL not 500'. Google Superstition Air Park or better is the URL. https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4429...!3m1!1e3?hl=en Right Click and Measure the distances your self. Not much but cactus and an occasional pack of Coyotes to see.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Got a number of "Lectric" guys in the club with Multiple drones and most with GPS and a few with FPV ... There drones are Mostly Scratch built ... Lots better Parts and cheaper too. Besides they fly with the club out here in the desert when the closet house is 2400' to the south were we can't fly to the west the closest is over 4000' west and North is 1.1 miles, NNE 4100' and East across 3 major roads a whopping 2.57 miles. Also according to the FAA FSDO at Scotsdale AZ the Lowest altitude any aircraft but Police and Medic can fl is 1300' AGL not 500'. Google Superstition Air Park or better is the URL. https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4429...!3m1!1e3?hl=en Right Click and Measure the distances your self. Not much but cactus and an occasional pack of Coyotes to see.
I think most drones are sold to non hobbyists who have no clue and likely only own one drone, at a time anyway. I think if you were arguing against me you would note that a lot of them are destroyed soon after they are bought. But even so they have been selling for more than 5 years so IMO my estimate of 3 million owners might be low.

How many owners will not register because they know they will be breaking the rules? That is the real number I would like to know. Maybe the FAA needs a future crime mind reader like in "Minority Report".

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 01-26-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 AM
buzzby
My Feedback: (7)

I wonder what will happen in the event a so called drone causes a death or severe injury will the retailer be held liable along with the manufacture. They do it with firearms.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

I'm not aware they hold gun manufactures libel. Pretty sure if they did they would have to hold car manufactures libel for accidents even if there is no defect in the car. And McDonalds would definitely go bankrupt.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM
TJ EWING

I don't think you are understanding that we won't have to register. Just use our AMA number.
I must have missed that decision. Could you clarify for me.
TJE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.