Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
When you register do you have to print out your certificate or can they mail it to you? I don't have a printer.
Nearly all local libraries have Internet access and printers.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Do you have a phone with a camera? Take a photo of the Certificate on your PC screen and keep it in the phone. That will suffice.
I use the camera in my phone all the time for stuff like this.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Isn't that why we pay AMA dues? Aren't they the experts on this? Aren't we supposed to put out trust in our organization to be up front and honest with the members?
I believe we have held up our end. When they have asked for us to comment and to respond about all of this on various websites we have. Everything they have asked from us we have done (or at least I hope many have done). Why is it bashing to ask for specifics on just what transpired ,who was involved, along with a timeline expected for results? Have you followed those blogs? If you have you'll notice that a bunch of posters there are saying the same thing ,we the membership are running out of patience.
This whole thing is just the same as how the registration deal went down. A whole lot of "we don't think" and "we should not have too" look how that turned out. They knew it was coming and could not stop it. Rather than being upfrot about it they offered dues at the old rate because they knew this whole thing would not sit well with the membership.

I know what's coming as a reply and I really don't care I've had my say.

Mike
LoL.....fingers in ears!

You've said that in the past yet continue to respond. It's o/k to disagree and have different opinions. No need to act like you're not involved and above it all. I'd rather see all opinions than he same one repeated 4249 times. Variety and all.....
Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Isn't that why we pay AMA dues? Aren't they the experts on this? Aren't we supposed to put out trust in our organization to be up front and honest with the members?
I believe we have held up our end. When they have asked for us to comment and to respond about all of this on various websites we have. Everything they have asked from us we have done (or at least I hope many have done). Why is it bashing to ask for specifics on just what transpired ,who was involved, along with a timeline expected for results? Have you followed those blogs? If you have you'll notice that a bunch of posters there are saying the same thing ,we the membership are running out of patience.
This whole thing is just the same as how the registration deal went down. A whole lot of "we don't think" and "we should not have too" look how that turned out. They knew it was coming and could not stop it. Rather than being upfrot about it they offered dues at the old rate because they knew this whole thing would not sit well with the membership.

I know what's coming as a reply and I really don't care I've had my say.

Mike
Here are more experts doing what they do, I guess you could say as a result of us paying our dues. Continued updates and communications keeping the membership in the loop, and answering some of the questions that the membership has. That they lack a magic wand to wave about and get everything they want isn't a big deal to 99.99% of the membership.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zQmzoA4DR84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It's very cold up there and I don't like paying state taxes. That's why I left New York.

Mike
I just don't ever see myself living in another country.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Here are more experts doing what they do, I guess you could say as a result of us paying our dues. Continued updates and communications keeping the membership in the loop, and answering some of the questions that the membership has. That they lack a magic wand to wave about and get everything they want isn't a big deal to 99.99% of the membership.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zQmzoA4DR84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nothing new is there? Lucky me I got that twice.

Mike
Old 02-06-2016, 07:27 PM
N410DC

Let me guess, this guy was not registered, and claims that he was completely unaware of the registration requirements. Again, I have to wonder if the FAA will cite him, if this is the case.

Granted, if the FAA cannot prove that the drone was first operated prior to 12/21/15, then the pilot does not have to be registered. that sai, they could always go after him with the good ole "reckless flying" attack.

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Do you have a phone with a camera? Take a photo of the Certificate on your PC screen and keep it in the phone. That will suffice.
This would work fine. If you have a smartphone, you could also save the PDF file to your phone.

Last edited by N410DC; 02-06-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Nothing new is there? Lucky me I got that twice.

Mike
Well sure it's new. It's an update, going over relevant questions that people want answers to, usually the right answers I'd add, not the doom and gloom and misinformation that's spread here. Had they not done this, they would be accused of not updating the membership timely, or failing to answer questions and set the record straight. As we've seen here time and time again..sometimes from you, no matter what they do AMA=Bad. Issue press releases, great, but no bad. Update membership on what's going on, great, no bad. Answer membership questions, great, no bad. And it's bad because....oh yes, it's not informing us of progress (meaning we get everything we want) and it's not enough information (because suddenly 4 or 5 people want every data set/metric out there and can't get access to them immediately).

Meanwhile, the hobby continues on....people are still flying....and nothing significant has occurred that has changed the hobby (yes I know, that is riiiight around the corner).
Old 02-07-2016, 09:09 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

My problem still is and will always be, that the people I fly with and myself, did not do what has been done to cause the having to be registered, we did not break any laws at our flying field, and do not like being treated as such! 3 guys I know that flew at events are done, they are PO'ed couple more is thinking of getting out, I know I have stopped buying except for things I need to finish a project, I bet the events will be down on attendance this year, they are coming time will tell! And reckon won't be putting an AMA number in a plane anymore, that one useless now!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by hairy46
My problem still is and will always be, that the people I fly with and myself, did not do what has been done to cause the having to be registered, we did not break any laws at our flying field, and do not like being treated as such! 3 guys I know that flew at events are done, they are PO'ed couple more is thinking of getting out, I know I have stopped buying except for things I need to finish a project, I bet the events will be down on attendance this year, they are coming time will tell! And reckon won't be putting an AMA number in a plane anymore, that one useless now!
hairy hariy hariy. By,Buy, BYE But no one will care. Not the AMA FAA or anyone Bobby.
We sure are a bunch of whiners ... What is the Problem with placing YOUR FAA given 10 Digit Alpha numeric Number right on the same piece of paper with your AMA Info. Copy one 10, 15 or 20 times or what U need for your fleet and be done with it.

Better yet copy your FAA Card U must have on your person Make 2 of them. Keep one in your wallet and move the other to the place U R flying at the time. I doubt U can fly more than one at a time anyway.

As for giving up the Hobby because of a simple Registration , well their is a section on RCU for Used Boats. Just hope the Coast Guard don't make ya register them too..

Hariyr Bobby U don't even fly with at an AMA field Just looked up the sip code for
Sinclair, WY 82334 and the closest AMA field is the
LARAMIE BARNSTORMERS R/C CLUB
Flying Site Details
81.23 miles

[TABLE="width: 700"]
[TR="bgcolor: #5D7B9D"]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-07-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:11 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Well Hdoggy you have no idea where I fly but I assure you that they are both AMA fields! Not into boats but thank you anyway, use to boat some! And there is simply no reason to put two numbers on a plane, over kill! And not going anywhere for now, but thanks for the concerns. Now let's all pray to our gov. Gods before they get angry.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:13 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
hairy hariy hariy. By,Buy, BYE But no one will care. Not the AMA FAA or anyone Bobby.
We sure are a bunch of whiners ... What is the Problem with placing YOUR FAA given 10 Digit Alpha numeric Number right on the same piece of paper with your AMA Info. Copy one 10, 15 or 20 times or what U need for your fleet and be done with it.

Better yet copy your FAA Card U must have on your person Make 2 of them. Keep one in your wallet and move the other to the place U R flying at the time. I doubt U can fly more than one at a time anyway.

As for giving up the Hobby because of a simple Registration , well their is a section on RCU for Used Boats. Just hope the Coast Guard don't make ya register them too..

Hariyr Bobby U don't even fly with at an AMA field Just looked up the sip code for
Sinclair, WY 82334 and the closest AMA field is the
LARAMIE BARNSTORMERS R/C CLUB
Flying Site Details
81.23 miles

[TABLE="width: 700"]
[TR="bgcolor: #5D7B9D"]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

You just don't get it. Having to register with a federal agency opens the weekend hobbyist up to a lot of liability. What if you have a mechanical failure and crash? Now the FAA, DOT, FBI, etc will be after you! I am still debating if I should open myself up to that kind of paranoia and burdens or just call it quits. And yes boats are a great option. I just bought a gas boat and will definitely be spending time on the water enjoying myself like the hobby was meant to be.

There was simply no reason to subject modelers who fly at AMA fields to this regulation. The clubs do a thorough job policing reckless pilots. I even got "talked to" just for taxing in and out of the pit area. Never mind that the "old timers" do it all the time, but that's for another discussion. In my club's newsletter they even threatened to call the cops on a drone pilot that was flying from beyond the pilot area.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 02-07-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:56 PM
hawkerone
My Feedback: (11)

You just don't get it. Having to register with a federal agency opens the weekend hobbyist up to a lot of liability. What if you have a mechanical failure and crash? Now the FAA, DOT, FBI, etc will be after you! I am still debating if I should open myself up to that kind of paranoia and burdens or just call it quits. And yes boats are a great option. I just bought a gas boat and will definitely be spending time on the water enjoying myself like the hobby was meant to be.

There was simply no reason to subject modelers who fly at AMA fields to this regulation. The clubs do a thorough job policing reckless pilots. I even got "talked to" just for taxing in and out of the pit area. Never mind that the "old timers" do it all the time, but that's for another discussion. In my club's newsletter they even threatened to call the cops on a drone pilot that was flying from beyond the pilot area.

Wow! I've been registered/licensed by the FAA for over 50 yrs and have never had any trouble with the FAA, DOT, FBI despite flying professionally on turbine aircraft most of the time. (I was audited by the IRS once but never connected that with my FAA licenses.) Now you tell me I'm in real big jeopardy because of my model plane. Horror of horrors! I understand your paranoia and agree you have the best solution by going to boats. (be careful though, I hear the Coast Guard is out there lurking in the weeds waiting to pounce)

PS: Before this registration requirement was it your understanding they you weren't liable for injury or damage your model plane might cause?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:00 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawkerone

PS: Before this registration requirement was it your understanding they you weren't liable for injury or damage your model plane might cause?
No, that's the reason I became an AMA member. Mainly for the insurance.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:34 PM
HoundDog

paranoia Being that Paranoid I Guess it Might be time to hang up the Xmitter. Now the FAA, DOT, FBI, etc will be after you! Ain't NO WAY Unless maybe you've been badmouthing them on social media or saying U will refuse to Register. If U don't have an assult weapons of stock pile of ammo or other weapons, I'm certain U R safe.

There was simply no reason to subject modelers who fly at AMA fields to this regulation.
It's all about the FAA doing the LEAST they could so as to say they did something.

If he was a member and not flying in the flight area i.e. out over the runway and beyond, They should have admonished him. But calling the Local Law would have been the dumbest thing possible ... Just calling attention to your club and it's activities. if it was a non member might be another question all together.

The worst thing we can do is NOT do what the FAA asks and then draw attention to any of our activities. The fewer people that know that yor club is there the better.

The best reason that the FAA can't let us use our AMA info is that half of the planes flown by AMA members do not even have the info in them. Check if U doubt it. Not having your AMA info is not Punishable by law ...Not registering and or not having the Number on or in the R/V TOY while flying is a Punishable deterrent. The Faa doesn/t care one Iota about the guy flying at a designated AMA club ... They want to be able to prosecute the Quad (Droner) Flying "Where when and How: they are not supposed to.

And YES the FAA is over reacting but the AMA and congress way Over reacted by even attempting to Limit the FAA's jurisdiction with the amend #335. Just Peed the FAA off and U see how that worked out ,,,

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-07-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Cool

If your going to sell your stuff cheap let me know.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:35 PM
HoundDog

paranoia Being that Paranoid I Guess it Might be time to hang up the Xmitter. Now the FAA, DOT, FBI, etc will be after you! Ain't NO WAY Unless maybe you've been badmouthing them on social media or saying U will refuse to Register. If U don't have an assult weapons of stock pile of ammo or other weapons, I'm certain U R safe.

There was simply no reason to subject modelers who fly at AMA fields to this regulation.
It's all about the FAA doing the LEAST they could so as to say they did something.
And YES the FAA is over reacting but the AMA and congress way Over reacted by even attempyig to Limit th FAA's jurisdiction with the amend #336. Just Peed the FAA off and U see how that worked out ,,,

If he was a member and not flying in the flight area i.e. out over the runway and beyond, He should have been admonished him. But calling the Local Law would have ben the dumbest thing possible ... Just calling attention to your club and it's activities. if it was a non member might be another question all together.

The worst thing we can do is NOT do what the FAA asks and then draw attention to any of our activities. The fewer people that know that yor club is there the better.

The best reason that the FAA can't let us use our AMA info is that half of the planes flown by AMA members do not even have the info in them. Check if U dought it. Not having your AMA info is not Punishable by law ...Not registering and or not having the Number on or in the R/V TOY while flying is a Punishable deterrent. The Faa doesn/t care one Iota about the guy flying at a designated AMA club ... They want to be able to prosecute the Quad (Droner) Flying "Where when and How: they are not supposed to.

see above
Old 02-08-2016, 07:29 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Well sure it's new. It's an update, going over relevant questions that people want answers to, usually the right answers I'd add, not the doom and gloom and misinformation that's spread here. Had they not done this, they would be accused of not updating the membership timely, or failing to answer questions and set the record straight. As we've seen here time and time again..sometimes from you, no matter what they do AMA=Bad. Issue press releases, great, but no bad. Update membership on what's going on, great, no bad. Answer membership questions, great, no bad. And it's bad because....oh yes, it's not informing us of progress (meaning we get everything we want) and it's not enough information (because suddenly 4 or 5 people want every data set/metric out there and can't get access to them immediately).

Meanwhile, the hobby continues on....people are still flying....and nothing significant has occurred that has changed the hobby (yes I know, that is riiiight around the corner).
New video but nothing new or earth shattering is it? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know to be nice if LLE approaches you or clubs aren't responsible for individuals registering or not. Emails have been sent out covering all this. Here's a idea for a video how about a a video updating the DC issues or on a update on the meetings in DC? Oh I forgot they can't discuss any of that right now.
As I've said in the past read the blogs on the AMA site the natives are getting restless. I really don't blame them one bit.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-08-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 AM
N410DC

The FAA was happy to go after modelers even before the registration policy was adopted. Just ask Raphael Pirker. He did not crash, nor did he harm a single person. He nonetheless collected more than $1000 in fines. The attorney was also paid as well, obviously.

In the past if a "...a mechanical failure and crash" caused harm, death, or property damage, FAA involvement was a real possibility. If there was no harm or damage to someone else's property (as is the case with at least 99% of model aircraft crashes,) the FAA will be very unlikely to spend the time and money needed to investigate the case. The FBI would have no interest in the case whatsoever, unless there is reason to believe that a federal crime had been committed. As far as I know, the FBI looked the other way when a drone crashed in Obama's yard, and again when a drone buzzed his motorcade. If they are going to ignore incidents such as this, I would not expect them to take action against me simply because I accidently landed a model aircraft in someone's back yard. Bottom line: I doubt there will be much change in the FAA'e enforcement actions, simply due to the registration requirement.

I have been registered with the FAA since December 21st. So far, no one has kicked in my door, or confronted me at the flying field, demanding to see "my papers." Since the registration requirement was put into place, does anyone know of any modeler who has been "spot checked" by an FAA official?

I didn't think so.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 AM
HoundDog

New video but nothing new or earth shattering is it? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know to be nice if LLE approaches you or clubs aren't responsible for individuals registering or not. Emails have been sent out covering all this. Here's a idea for a video how about a a video updating the DC issues or on a update on the meetings in DC? Oh I forgot they can't discuss any of that right now.
As I've said in the past read the blogs on the AMA site the natives are getting restless. I really don't blame them one bit.

Mike
I'll repeat this again ... The Feds LLE Not even your grand Mother is going to care one Iota if U have or haven't the FAA's registration number on/in you Plane Quad Maybe. That is if U are flying on an AMA field Outside of the 5 mile radius of the 519 Towered air ports in the USA. that is if U don't interfere with any Manned aircraft. The Feds are in spite of their interpretation of #336 after the realculperat, Their after the DRONNER tha continue to fly "Where When and How" as to endanger the Flying Public. They don't even really car about U flyover crowds so long as it's done down Low away from full scale traffic.

Now if U or anyone have been shooting off their Mouth on social media or even here on RCU. Maybe Just Maybe the FAA Feds Might jst be inclined to check U out just to get some satisfaction. Just a word to the wise.

On another Note:
Anyone here think we as Members of the AMA and fly on a registered field should have a protected (Restricted area) of 1/2 mile in diameter up to 1500' AGL. That is less than 0.2 SQ miles and 1/2 that if the field has a single runway.While an towered airport with a 5 mile radius is 390 times the area and minimum of twice the height we'd be asking for as our fair share. 400' would be adequate everywhere else that is not considered a Registered field. It/s our more than fair seeing it our TAX dollars at work here.

On Another very important issue WE absolutely don't want Privatization of the ATC system. The ATC would be controlled by the Big Airlines to the detriment of all GA and any and all R/C TOYs. Believe me. U think the FAA is bad U have no Idea how Privatization of the ATC system will devistate many things including your "RIGHT" to our "FAIR SHARE" of the NAS and to enjoy this hobby as we have known it for the Last 80+ years..
Old 02-08-2016, 11:08 AM
rcmiket

I'll repeat this again ... The Feds LLE Not even your grand Mother is going to care one Iota if U have or haven't the FAA's registration number on/in you Plane Quad Maybe. That is if U are flying on an AMA field Outside of the 5 mile radius of the 519 Towered air ports in the USA. that is if U don't interfere with any Manned aircraft. The Feds are in spite of their interpretation of #336 after the realculperat, Their after the DRONNER tha continue to fly "Where When and How" as to endanger the Flying Public. They don't even really car about U flyover crowds so long as it's done down Low away from full scale traffic.

Now if U or anyone have been shooting off their Mouth on social media or even here on RCU. Maybe Just Maybe the FAA Feds Might jst be inclined to check U out just to get some satisfaction. Just a word to the wise.

On another Note:
Anyone here think we as Members of the AMA and fly on a registered field should have a protected (Restricted area) of 1/2 mile in diameter up to 1500' AGL. That is less than 0.2 SQ miles and 1/2 that if the field has a single runway.While an towered airport with a 5 mile radius is 390 times the area and minimum of twice the height we'd be asking for as our fair share. 400' would be adequate everywhere else that is not considered a Registered field. It/s our more than fair seeing it our TAX dollars at work here.

On Another very important issue WE absolutely don't want Privatization of the ATC system. The ATC would be controlled by the Big Airlines to the detriment of all GA and any and all R/C TOYs. Believe me. U think the FAA is bad U have no Idea how Privatization of the ATC system will devistate many things including your "RIGHT" to our "FAIR SHARE" of the NAS and to enjoy this hobby as we have known it for the Last 80+ years..
Just how does any of what you just posted relevant to how the AMA updates or fails to update it's members? I have no doubt in my mind that the FAA, LLE or my grandmother cares what I do.

Mike
Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

I thought the topic was registering your model. Not AMA updates.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by N410DC
The FAA was happy to go after modelers even before the registration policy was adopted. Just ask Raphael Pirker. He did not crash, nor did he harm a single person. He nonetheless collected more than $1000 in fines. The attorney was also paid as well, obviously.

In the past if a "...a mechanical failure and crash" caused harm, death, or property damage, FAA involvement was a real possibility. If there was no harm or damage to someone else's property (as is the case with at least 99% of model aircraft crashes,) the FAA will be very unlikely to spend the time and money needed to investigate the case. The FBI would have no interest in the case whatsoever, unless there is reason to believe that a federal crime had been committed. As far as I know, the FBI looked the other way when a drone crashed in Obama's yard, and again when a drone buzzed his motorcade. If they are going to ignore incidents such as this, I would not expect them to take action against me simply because I accidently landed a model aircraft in someone's back yard. Bottom line: I doubt there will be much change in the FAA'e enforcement actions, simply due to the registration requirement.

I have been registered with the FAA since December 21st. So far, no one has kicked in my door, or confronted me at the flying field, demanding to see "my papers." Since the registration requirement was put into place, does anyone know of any modeler who has been "spot checked" by an FAA official?

I didn't think so.
As I recall the FAA didn't care at all unless you had a midair with a certified or full scale aircraft. People regularly crashed into cars and houses without any FAA fines of even inquiries. Not till Pirker.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I thought the topic was registering your model. Not AMA updates.
There isn't a topic here that can't have a AMA=Bad theme running through it.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:23 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by N410DC
The FAA was happy to go after modelers even before the registration policy was adopted. Just ask Raphael Pirker.
Mr. Pirker , with his "Black sheep squadron" videos all over boobtoob showing him flying around various U.S. locations , basically "thumbed his nose" at the FAA , and the FAA has a long history of making examples of fools like Mr. Pirker . The Video he was prosecuted wasn't his first , or even fifth , that showed him flying over people's heads here in the U.S. , a clear safety issue and my personal opinion is that the FAA let him off TOO easily because he was a foreigner from a U.S. friendly country who didn't happen to be an islamic terrorist !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.