Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:31 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
More news from the AMA...a reminder about the 19th!

http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5e1...03787c1779&r=0
More news from the FAA .......a reminder to register your "drones. They even have audio " Note to broadcast media: Please download audio and video sound bites from FAA Administrator Michael Huerta:"

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=84807

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-17-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Sure, its easy, you register on the FAA site not the AMA site and the correct link to register has been posted on RCU many times.

You are not registering to fly "Drones" and nowhere on the FAA registration page is the word "Drone" even mentioned.

You are registering yourself to fly your Unmanned Aircraft System in the National Air Space.

The process is very simple, clearly explained and just takes a few minutes.

You register here.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

Please note once again - the word "drone" does not appear here - however the word "aircraft" does appear several times.

So clearly this is where you must register to fly your RC aircraft.
Er , actually my friend , the word "drone" does in fact appear on the page you linked . If you look at the left side of the page , about halfway down the list of pages , you'll find the "No Drone Zone" sub page with instructions on safe droning , and in that text the words "Drone" and "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" are used interchangeably .

The main text of the page is , as you say , quite clear to all who read it ......
Old 02-17-2016, 07:40 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by init4fun
Er , actually my friend , the word "drone" does in fact appear on the page you linked . If you look at the left side of the page , about halfway down the list of pages , you'll find the "No Drone Zone" sub page with instructions on safe droning , and in that text the words "Drone" and "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" are used interchangeably .

The main text of the page is , as you say , quite clear to all who read it ......
Thanks for the correction Init, I can see that link at the bottom of the page when viewed on an iPad. My original post has been fixed.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-18-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:27 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are hyper focused on numbers because that is your focus. Nobody else seems to have this absolute burning desire to know, but also capture and memorialize this information. Why do you think that is? You rationalize this by saying in effect to counter the FAA data....exactly what data is that? Did the FAA put up some kind of data that showed AMA fliers are not safe? Did the registration take place because of errors at the field, including injuries and crashes? Of course not. It was done in part because of ALL of the issues surrounding the use of the NAS, but AMA members certainly weren't held up as some example of what not to do.. Showing the FAA some data on accidents and near misses of RC aircraft would help/solve absolutely nothing. We don't have to have some new data to counter anything....we have 80 years of a proven track record.
That 80 year claim is based on a woefully incomplete set of data - only those incidents that resulted in payment by secondary insurance - which is a lagging indicator. Credible safety management systems (aviation or otherwise) look at leading indicators - which is what I advocate.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

I think both the FAA and AMA know of all of the mid airs that have happened. What was it two or three? What other information do you need? And why do we care about insurance payments????
Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skinny Bob
I have looked at the AMA web site to register my aircraft, however there is no where to register my fixed wing aircraft, only drones. Once again the educated people who write the instructions have failed to explain to my wee brain where on the site I should click to register my fixed wing aircraft. I don't own a drone and never will. Can anyone tell me how to go through this stupid process? I guess I don't understand!.
AMA doesn't require registration. It's the FAA.

And in the eyes of the FAA there is no distinction between drones, helicopters, fixed wing, multi-engine, etc. You are registering you. They don't ask what you fly, how many, and they all will be marked with your assigned number.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:19 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
AMA doesn't require registration. It's the FAA.

And in the eyes of the FAA there is no distinction between drones, helicopters, fixed wing, multi-engine, etc. You are registering you. They don't ask what you fly, how many, and they all will be marked with your assigned number.
While they don't endorse it they certainty encourage it. AMA members received this earlier in the week.

FAA registration is due by February 19

As a reminder, the FAA UAS registration deadline is February 19. All model pilots who use a ground-control system with a communications link such as an RC transmitter, that is over 0.55 pounds (or 250 grams) and less than 55 pounds, are required to register. This includes operators who fly fixed-wing RC aircraft and helicopters, not just multirotors or drones. Please make sure to visit www.faa.gov/uas/registration to register. Several fake registration websites have been set up online to attempt to steal personal and credit card information. Many of these fake sites look credible or appear to belong to the FAA. The FAA has warned pilots to avoid sites that offer paid services assisting model pilots in the registration process.

Mike
Old 02-18-2016, 04:45 AM
joancmigneault

I hate to be the one to tell you that ALL TRADITIONAL MODEL PLANES ARE DRONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 04:50 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by joancmigneault
I hate to be the one to tell you that ALL TRADITIONAL MODEL PLANES ARE DRONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we as modelers all agree with that. Now if you can convince the rest of the planet that would be awesome.

Mike
Old 02-18-2016, 06:32 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I think we as modelers all agree with that. Now if you can convince the rest of the planet that would be awesome.

Mike
U can thank the AMA and congress for that one. Now we must live with it.
Hope that's the end of it but knowing the FAA (Government) It ain't very likely to be the last.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hope that's the end of it but knowing the FAA (Government) It ain't very likely to be the last.
Wha? Since when? They had nothing to do with that classification...that was all on the FAA.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl.../#78f1cfb42ab9
Old 02-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Rob2160

I wonder how far they get with that one...

This will be the next problem. The ability to fly via the internet. I could fly this multicopter around my home in Australia while sitting in a Hotel in Canada...

https://vimeo.com/155203647

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-18-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:37 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Wha? Since when? They had nothing to do with that classification...that was all on the FAA.
Of course the FAA did all the classification BUT ONLY after the AMA thru CONGRESS and Amendment #336 telling the FAA they could not mess with model airplanes and what did the FAA say to Congress and their Amendment #336 and the AMA? The FAA's answer was a great big
FU
The FAA would have only gone after the DRONE operators that were threatening the flying Public near air ports, But NO the AMA thru congress tried to tell the FAA How and What they could do. Well none of this crap would be an issue if they had just waited for the FAA to do their job and go after the real problem as they intended to in the first place. The AMA screwed up 8 years of Negotiations withe the FAA.

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-18-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:37 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

Happy Drone Registration Day!!
Old 02-19-2016, 05:42 AM
rcmiket

The FAA troops are being mobilized as we speck. The "camps" are being set up to house all the rebels they catch. We're done.
Mike
Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FAA comes to our field pretty much weekly now. More than one of them.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:32 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well none of this crap would be an issue if they had just waited for the FAA to do their job and go after the real problem as they intended to in the first place. The AMA screwed up 8 years of Negotiations withe the FAA.

Welcome to amateur lobbyists writing laws....it is called unintended consequences. This whole 5 mile thing never existed in statutes before that messed up bill either.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Something is clearly bringing them out there on a weekly basis...haven't heard of any other field in this country having that issue. Is it close to a sensitive area, are there prior issues? What do they do when they go there?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:06 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is clearly bringing them out there on a weekly basis...haven't heard of any other field in this country having that issue. Is it close to a sensitive area, are there prior issues? What do they do when they go there?
UMMMM.........maybe they are checking registration compliance???

Why ELSE would they be there?

Astro
Old 02-19-2016, 12:24 PM
porcia83
Banned

Right. Makes perfect sense. Prior to the due date for registration, the FAA has decided to send multiple FAA reps on a weekly basis to one club. Out of thousands across the country.

And since the poster didn't say what they were there for, I thought I would ask. Apparently you have the answer though.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:30 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, just a WAG. Maybe they just got the sudden urge to join the AMA? (Another WAG).

Astro
Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM
TimJ

Wrong again. You can thank the news media for calling them drones.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by mr_matt
What field is that Mr_Matt?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
No, just a WAG. Maybe they just got the sudden urge to join the AMA? (Another WAG).

Astro
That would be great, the more the merrier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.