Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:58 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radioman
well guys and gals I guess I wont be flying anymore because I refuse to bow down to this corrupt gov I've been in this hobby for over 50 years I just cant figure why so many are willing to give up their freedoms so easily. the sad part of this whole deal is we didn't have any problems till some idiots with quadcopters felt
that they fly or do what ever they wanted so now we all suffer for it thank for screwing up a once great hobby
I just can't see giving up a great hobby along with the friends I've made over registration. While I think it's a joke and will solve nothing I won't let it stop my.involvement in the hobby.

Mike
Old 02-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Seems if your "expecting" 16,000 spectators it would have to be outside.

Mike
It is not 16,000 all the time, but there are indoor stadiums that easily hold 16,000 people.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:40 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by HoundDog

A week or two I spoke with a couple of R/C Jet flyers from Australia and We got talking about the differences between R/C in Australia. They stated that for $100/year (Australian) about $75 US they get $20 Million of Primary Insurance thru Lloyd's of London.
What say U Rob2160:

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Yeah, that is right HD, $100 will get you $20 Million coverage.

http://www.maaa.asn.au/images/pdfs/i...-Insurance.pdf

Club membership fees are extra, $150 - $250 typical depending on the club.
I belong to 2 clubs in AZ one is just $20 US the other is $100 / yr. and I only get to fly here 6 months, and most of my flying is instruction. In Wisconsin I belong to 3 clubs was 4 but anyway one is $20/yr 6 months because of winter like all up north ... Another is $75 and the third is $135/yr plus I paid $1400 for my share and the shares vary, anywhere from $900 to $3000 all depending how bad the guy or somes guys widow's wants to stop paying the dues while she tries to sell the share. ... Then I pay another $166/yr for an extra Million US on my home owners. Just in case the AMA renigs. It's only Money & if I don't spend it My daughter will.

Then there's all your stuff. Yesterday we had 4 picnic tables filled with stupp (NEW) from a member who died and the club was asked by the family to come over and collect it up and sell it. Face Value New condition stuff worth at a conservative estimate 10 to 12 grand and that didn't count any Planes. His garage and storage shed looked like a well stocked Hobby shop. Then we found out he's got a storage locker some place too. The guy doing it has trouble getting 10 cents on the dollar for the Glow engines. The NIB Gas motors gets about 1/2 to 1/3 of new price if they are NIB.

Just think Some day Your (Young-er) buddies will be selling off all your junk for your widow or kids. Man it's gona take My kids a week to get it all out of the Basement Spare room Dining Room and the Garage. That don't count the stuff i have here in AJ AZ.
U all know the saying "He who dies withe the most toys wins ... But he still don't know he won".
Old 02-24-2016, 09:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

well guys and gals I guess I wont be flying anymore because I refuse to bow down to this corrupt gov I've been in this hobby for over 50 years I just cant figure why so many are willing to give up their freedoms so easily. the sad part of this whole deal is we didn't have any problems till some idiots with quadcopters felt
that they fly or do what ever they wanted so now we all suffer for it thank for screwing up a once great hobby
Take up micro R/C, control line, or free flight. But maybe a more useful hobby is competitive target shooting.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:48 AM
TimJ

So instead of taking a brief moment to do the register you would rather let the government win and not fly?

Yeeeeaahhh......That totally makes sense.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Take up micro R/C, control line, or free flight. But maybe a more useful hobby is competitive target shooting.
radioman:
Better yet get in on the fun. Get yourself An Armed Drone w/ FPV and go after other Drones as targets. Just Hang a big FAA Drone eradicator sign under it and the Govrnmendt won't be bothrn ya they all wils thinks U is One of thme. LOL
Old 02-24-2016, 09:59 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
So instead of taking a brief moment to do the register you would rather let the government win and not fly?

I don't think the govt. wants to force anyone out of the hobby , I'd lay the blame for the new regs on the people who flew irresponsibly , and I refuse to let them ruin the hobby for me . If all it takes is a 2 minute registration to separate us from those who won't follow the rules I have no problem putting the FAA number on my planes .
Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by TimJ

Originally Posted by init4fun
I don't think the govt. wants to force anyone out of the hobby , I'd lay the blame for the new regs on the people who flew irresponsibly , and I refuse to let them ruin the hobby for me . If all it takes is a 2 minute registration to separate us from those who won't follow the rules I have no problem putting the FAA number on my planes .
Remember last year when I said there should be a web site that anyone buying any flying R/C toy had to take a test to get his Federal number to be prove that they Knew not to fly near airports an the like. Well The feds should hav done that with their Registration (JOKE) process. Proving U know the Rules befor U can buy a dangerous TOY seems like a logical thing doesn't it?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by HoundDog

radioman:
Better yet get in on the fun. Get yourself An Armed Drone w/ FPV and go after other Drones as targets. Just Hang a big FAA Drone eradicator sign under it and the Govrnmendt won't be bothrn ya they all wils thinks U is One of thme. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1805_LiveTweet_Pic15a_PoliceDrone1_W.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	2149173  
Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM
radioman

the problem is I already have enough .gov intrusion in my life being a disabled vet and I don't need anymore ive lost some of my rights already how much more do I need to give up
Old 02-24-2016, 11:06 AM
Rob2160

I don't mean to be smart but the FAA will just see this as a bonus.

They did not intend to stop people flying RC but the more people that give up the hobby the easier it becomes for them.

Can I ask what freedom has been given up by registering? For most that fly at a club and within the rules after registering it is business as usual.

Shame to give up a great hobby over $5.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-24-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I believe the Reauthorization Bill was amended to include a provision that registration will be done at point of sale. That makes the most sense to me but doesn't solve the problem of all the existing one. Nor does it answer the question of resale.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I have thousands of dollars and hours invested in the hobby over the decades I've been in involved. I enjoy it immensely. No way I'm going to let a little registration process get in the way and force me to give up something I love.

The only things that have change for me since registering is I now have one more card in my flight box and one more number on my aircraft. That's it!

If some folks want to cut off their nose to spite their face so be it. I won't be doing that.

No offense intended.

Thank you for your service.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

I don't mean to be smart but the FAA will just see this as a bonus.

They did not intend to stop people flying RC but the more people that give up the hobby the easier it becomes for them.

Can I ask what freedom has been given up by registering? For most that fly at a club and within the rules after registering it is business as usual.

Shame to give up a great hobby over $5.
They see driving people from model airplanes to guns as a bonus? I don't think so.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Rob2160

They see driving people from model airplanes to guns as a bonus? I don't think so.
The FAA does not regulate guns so they couldn't care less.

Show me the last time the FAA was blamed for a shooting massacre?

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-24-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

The FAA does not regulate guns so they couldn't care less.

Show me the last time the FAA was blamed for a shooting massacre?
Who said anything about the FAA? I implied the government would care. I think Obama would mind that the FAA drove me to quit the hobby for a gun hobby. And since the libs control the FAA they probably care as well.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:26 PM
radioman

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I have thousands of dollars and hours invested in the hobby over the decades I've been in involved. I enjoy it immensely. No way I'm going to let a little registration process get in the way and force me to give up something I love.

The only things that have change for me since registering is I now have one more card in my flight box and one more number on my aircraft. That's it!

If some folks want to cut off their nose to spite their face so be it. I won't be doing that.

No offense intended.

Thank you for your service.
non taken chris and thank you and to the other responses if you read the faa regs it says tether and all aircraft over a certain weight so no control line or free flight im not trying to be a smart ass but once you give up one freedom its to easy for the .gov to take more I used to be able to conceal carry I cant anymore because the . gov feels just because I have ptsd that I am unable to handle that responsibility although I have never shot anyone since I've been a
civilian which has been over 40 years.sorry for the rant but I feel once you let them start chipping away at your rights you wont be able to stop them
Old 02-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Sport_Pilot

non taken chris and thank you and to the other responses if you read the faa regs it says tether and all aircraft over a certain weight so no control line or free flight im not trying to be a smart ass but once you give up one freedom its to easy for the .gov to take more I used to be able to conceal carry I cant anymore because the . gov feels just because I have ptsd that I am unable to handle that responsibility although I have never shot anyone since I've been a
civilian which has been over 40 years.sorry for the rant but I feel once you let them start chipping away at your rights you wont be able to stop them
The FAQ was confusing but that is not a reg. Control line and free flight do not require registration.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Rob2160

Who said anything about the FAA? I implied the government would care. I think Obama would mind that the FAA drove me to quit the hobby for a gun hobby. And since the libs control the FAA they probably care as well.
I said the FAA sees this as a bonus...

Firstly the FAA registration requirement did not force you (or anyone else) to take up guns for a hobby. That was your choice entirely.

Secondly you could write a letter to government explaining that you gave up model aircraft and took up guns for a hobby due to the registration requirement and see what transpires from there...

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-24-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:56 PM
radioman

I said the FAA sees this as a bonus...

Firstly the FAA registration requirement did not force you (or anyone else) to take up guns for a hobby. That was your choice entirely.

Secondly you could write a letter to government explaining that you gave up model aircraft and took up guns for a hobby due to the registration requirement and see what transpires from there...
rob I see your from Australia so you dont have stake in this you folks already lost your right to have a firearm we yanks still have that right for the time being the point is if we have to register our models then whats next. our gov is doing everything it can to disarm us how about we give our freedom of speech or to be able to hangout on a website like this the thing is if you give them a inch they will take a mile
Old 02-24-2016, 03:05 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

rob I see your from Australia so you dont have stake in this you folks already lost your right to have a firearm we yanks still have that right for the time being the point is if we have to register our models then whats next. our gov is doing everything it can to disarm us how about we give our freedom of speech or to be able to hangout on a website like this the thing is if you give them a inch they will take a mile
Wrong, he very much has a "stake" in this...he flies in the US, not only the toy planes you are going to be giving up, but also the real deal...big 'ol honkin corporate jets.

You should go back and review the control line and free flight model questions, I think you'll be pleased with the results. As for quitting the hobby all together, it seems a bit rash and irrational as there have been no demonstrable "freedoms" taken from us. It's your choice and only you can make it. That being said, as others have mentioned, you should keep flying. Isn't flying a nice purty plane on a beautiful weekend day with your buddies at the field a fantastic way of dealing with all the ills and stress of our world around us? How about helping noobs in the hobby with building or even training on how to fly. Gotta be better than being upset at the govt no?

Hope you stick with it, or at least stay involved somehow. Also, thanks for your service!

Last edited by porcia83; 02-24-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:19 PM
rcmiket

It is not 16,000 all the time, but there are indoor stadiums that easily hold 16,000 people.
Since they are holding this at the Fairgrounds I'm guessing it's outside.

Mike
Old 02-24-2016, 03:22 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Since they are holding this at the Fairgrounds I'm guessing it's outside.

Mike
Room for 20,000 then!
Old 02-24-2016, 03:39 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Room for 20,000 then!
I think that the 16,000 number is really pushing but if you insist. I got my money on 500.

Mike
Old 02-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Rob2160

Hi Radioman, I understand your comment but am in the USA right now and have been for a month. I will be here for another month and make several extended trips to the USA each year. I usually bring something RC to fly while here and registered via the FAA site.

My job is flying an N registered jet internationally with an FAA ATP licence. So I have a very strong interest and 'stake' in what the FAA is doing.

I also have an Australian Commercial UAV licence and will get the FAA equivalent later this year.

Yes our gun laws tightened up since the Port Arthur shooting but I still have several rifles shotguns and handguns. It's no problem at all owning a gun legally in Australia.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-24-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.