Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:10 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
What's this I read about FPV racing going on at Joe Nall? Don't the folks at Triple Tree read the threads here, don't they know FPV racing is just a flash in the pan?
That should be really interesting to see just how they are received at Joe Nall. Since like SEEF they cater to all aspects of R/C seems like it's a fit. If you can't get a crowd on your own venue hook up where there's already a crowd.

Mike
Old 03-14-2016, 06:11 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm one of the "old timers" also but open to new technology now according to some here ( a very small minority at that) this will save the hobby and make the AMA great again by swelling the membership numbers. I'm all for that but I'm afraid this whole Better than sliced bread world championship FPV drone racing ain't the answer.

Mike
I agree Mike besides our AMA paying lawyers to defending them / teaching them some RULES but its kinda late now . joe
Old 03-14-2016, 07:04 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, because everyone who doesn't fly scale civilian or warbirds (scratch-built of course) needs to be taught rules. LoL

Where do you come up with your sources of information by the way, do you make it up out of thin air or do you actually have info....AMA lawyers are defending who again?
Old 03-14-2016, 07:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

That should be really interesting to see just how they are received at Joe Nall. Since like SEEF they cater to all aspects of R/C seems like it's a fit. If you can't get a crowd on your own venue hook up where there's already a crowd.

Mike
Cater to, or accept? Big difference no? Where they "catering" to helis when they became popluar, or were they accepting of them? I'm sure there was a big contingent of "traditional" scratch builder gotta fly in a pattern with my J-3 crowd crowing on and on about those annoying new fangled whirley birds moving in on their hobby and how it was all going to go to hell, but oddly enough, that' didn't happen. The hobby grew, folks could still do what they wanted, and it was all good (except for some). MR is certainly very popular now, and growing of course, but it certainly isn't going to be the "savior" of the hobby...the hobby was doing well enough before and will be just fine with them being involved.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 AM
joebahl

Yes, because everyone who doesn't fly scale civilian or warbirds (scratch-built of course) needs to be taught rules. LoL

Where do you come up with your sources of information by the way, do you make it up out of thin air or do you actually have info....AMA lawyers are defending who again?
yes to many threads here where i have seen you at and rhe Facts are there on how much its costing the AMA .Again your put on this earth to argue here WHY ? dont know but iam going back to my building like every winter so pest the rest here . Happy building all . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 03-14-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:49 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by joebahl
yes to many threads here where i have seen you at and rhe Facts are there on how much its costing the AMA .Again your put on this earth to argue here WHY ? dont know but iam going back to my building like every winter so pest the rest here . Happy building all . joe
And you started at post 87 {-) See that was not hard to find .lmao http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...0-000-fpv.html
Old 03-14-2016, 09:21 AM
rcmiket

Cater to, or accept? Big difference no? Where they "catering" to helis when they became popluar, or were they accepting of them? I'm sure there was a big contingent of "traditional" scratch builder gotta fly in a pattern with my J-3 crowd crowing on and on about those annoying new fangled whirley birds moving in on their hobby and how it was all going to go to hell, but oddly enough, that' didn't happen. The hobby grew, folks could still do what they wanted, and it was all good (except for some). MR is certainly very popular now, and growing of course, but it certainly isn't going to be the "savior" of the hobby...the hobby was doing well enough before and will be just fine with them being involved.

Not really if your trying to build interest than "cater" since this is a hot issue "accept" would be stupid as in "were shoving this down your throats like it or not". The RC Groups owners seem to be the driving force behind this. Why you keep comparing this to helicopters is beyond me, The rise in heli interest did not spark the kind of regulatory issues the drone craze has . I don't seem to remember the feds getting involved nor the AMA having to spend any money on heli acceptance or to fight heli regulation by the FED's.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 03-14-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Building might be the way to go, writing clearly and explaining yourself appears to be a struggle so far. Happy building!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

And you started at post 87 {-) See that was not hard to find .lmao http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...0-000-fpv.html
LoL...interesting interpretation of "defending" them.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Did they spend it? If so, how much did they actually spend and what exactly did they spend it on? Do you have real numbers (Mikey likes numbers) from the AMA or is it just something you read on the Internet?
Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Did they spend it? If so, how much did they actually spend and what exactly did they spend it on? Do you have real numbers (Mikey likes numbers) from the AMA or is it just something you read on the Internet?
From whati read its going to be spent on training our new flying table friemds the AMA took in butwho knows . After the AMA took the drones in i dropped my AMA card of 40 years and not sighning back up anytime soon. Going to be kinda hard for the FAA to find me Hugh ? lol joe
Old 03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
joebahl

Building might be the way to go, writing clearly and explaining yourself appears to be a struggle so far. Happy building!
You really need to get a life other than posting in these threads .You asked if the AMA was spending money on them and i showed you one .plus just as i said you posted in it so again you knew the answer but just wanted to feel big in any thread but we know you and your not .lol joe
Old 03-14-2016, 01:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

Not really if your trying to build interest than "cater" since this is a hot issue "accept" would be stupid as in "were shoving this down your throats like it or not". The RC Groups owners seem to be the driving force behind this. Why you keep comparing this to helicopters is beyond me, The rise in heli interest did not spark the kind of regulatory issues the drone craze has . I don't seem to remember the feds getting involved nor the AMA having to spend any money on heli acceptance or to fight heli regulation by the FED's.

Mike
Hmm..I don't see anyone "shoving" anything down our throat. Does RCU shove traditional glow/gas RC stuff down our throat here? They, just as any media related and user generated site, will give their customers what they want. Is Tower shoving MR down our throat when they devote the first 12 pages of their sales catalog to MR and drones? No, I think they are trying to sell the hottest thing to hit the RC world in a long time. Tower, HH, and HK are all pushing new products at a pace that I don't think we have seen with fixed wing aircraft.

It puzzles me how people make the conclusion that a few errant droners caught the eye of the FAA and it all went downhill from there. Throw in a liberal dash of the AMA embracing drones, and out of the over comes an ill founded hatred (at least IMO) for this technology. The feds have been looking at this issue for years and years, and as soon as commercial entities expressed an interest in this for use in selling/delivering products, it was done...they were always going to have a say in this. As we see now, the AMA would have been absolutely foolish to try to exclude them from our hobby. Actually, THAT would have been a good reason for people to say we needed new leadership.

The MR are here to stay and given the rapid proliferation of them, I'd make a WAG that they are already outselling helis and will ultimately be more popular than helis.

And I bring up helis to illustrate the last biggest "new" technology to come into the AMA, and how they were "embraced". Even you have to admit a lot of this finger pointing has a part in folks just not dealing with something new, something that represents change, and something that's not in their wheelhouse of expertise.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

You really need to get a life other than posting in these threads .You asked if the AMA was spending money on them and i showed you one .plus just as i said you posted in it so again you knew the answer but just wanted to feel big in any thread but we know you and your not .lol joe
Wow...guess that building jag was short-lived. If you can't have a decent conversation with someone who doesn't see things your way, these threads might not be cut out for you. Name calling and personal attacks seems to be your response to a contrary position. Why is that?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:43 PM
joebahl

Wow...guess that building jag was short-lived. If you can't have a decent conversation with someone who doesn't see things your way, these threads might not be cut out for you. Name calling and personal attacks seems to be your response to a contrary position. Why is that?
You asked like you didnt know cause you posted in the thread about the 250.000 being spent by the AMA. You said i had no proof about it . I gave it to you even tho like i said you knew the thread was there and again only wanted to start yet another arguement to make you feel inportant. ok go read the thread you asked for. Geeze !
Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

From whati read its going to be spent on training our new flying table friemds the AMA took in butwho knows . After the AMA took the drones in i dropped my AMA card of 40 years and not sighning back up anytime soon. Going to be kinda hard for the FAA to find me Hugh ? lol joe
Well, if you read it on the Internet then it must be true.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Guess you should have become a life member, you would have saved 20+ years of paying dues.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:55 PM
joebahl

I have other hobbies so no not reading it anywhere and yes i was upset with the AMA and now dont really care what they do either. Iam retired enjoying my building and flying without drone drama or the AMA either. You guys here will sort it all out .lmao
Old 03-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I have other hobbies so no not reading it anywhere and yes i was upset with the AMA and now dont really care what they do either. Iam retired enjoying my building and flying without drone drama or the AMA either. You guys here will sort it all out .lmao
Nothing to sort out. Absolutely nothing has changed for me except a new number on my aircraft and another business card size piece of paper in my flight box.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:49 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

What's this I read about FPV racing going on at Joe Nall? Don't the folks at Triple Tree read the threads here, don't they know FPV racing is just a flash in the pan?

Mike
Give it up boys, there here (Drones) FPV Quads and they are Probably already bigger than "Traditional" R/C Flying. If U can't beet'em then Join'em.

R/C GROUPS Jow Nall
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r15%2016%20RCG

Old 03-14-2016, 04:46 PM
TimJ

They are already bigger than airplanes. And it will be the new staple in the industry. Airplanes will be an after thought.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:05 AM
rcmiket

Hmm..I don't see anyone "shoving" anything down our throat. Does RCU shove traditional glow/gas RC stuff down our throat here? They, just as any media related and user generated site, will give their customers what they want. Is Tower shoving MR down our throat when they devote the first 12 pages of their sales catalog to MR and drones? No, I think they are trying to sell the hottest thing to hit the RC world in a long time. Tower, HH, and HK are all pushing new products at a pace that I don't think we have seen with fixed wing aircraft.

It puzzles me how people make the conclusion that a few errant droners caught the eye of the FAA and it all went downhill from there. Throw in a liberal dash of the AMA embracing drones, and out of the over comes an ill founded hatred (at least IMO) for this technology. The feds have been looking at this issue for years and years, and as soon as commercial entities expressed an interest in this for use in selling/delivering products, it was done...they were always going to have a say in this. As we see now, the AMA would have been absolutely foolish to try to exclude them from our hobby. Actually, THAT would have been a good reason for people to say we needed new leadership.

The MR are here to stay and given the rapid proliferation of them, I'd make a WAG that they are already outselling helis and will ultimately be more popular than helis.

And I bring up helis to illustrate the last biggest "new" technology to come into the AMA, and how they were "embraced". Even you have to admit a lot of this finger pointing has a part in folks just not dealing with something new, something that represents change, and something that's not in their wheelhouse of expertise.
When heli's hit the seen the AMA did not spend a dime "promoting" them or " educating" the user on safe operation or lobbying in Washington to prevent forced "registration" of them. Since the arrival of MR's all the above has and still is happening.

Mike
Old 03-15-2016, 04:11 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Give it up boys, there here (Drones) FPV Quads and they are Probably already bigger than "Traditional" R/C Flying. If U can't beet'em then Join'em.

R/C GROUPS Jow Nall

http://news.yahoo.com/first-ever-wor...110501083.html
At the weekend’s award ceremony, the United Arab Emirates government also announced plans for next year’s inaugural World Future Sports Games that’ll see robots battling it out in swimming, running, wrestling, and car racing events. By then, we’re assuming the competing bots will be a bit more reliable than those that bit the dust in hilarious fashion during DARPA’s Robotics Challenge Finals last year.

Notice that their government is behind and supporting this.

Mike
Old 03-15-2016, 04:31 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
They are already bigger than airplanes. And it will be the new staple in the industry. Airplanes will be an after thought.

In the future , when the FAA has finished with eliminating unregulated BLOS flying of the sort that most FPV pilots practice , and the "hobby" BLOS operations have fully ceased , and the "jump onto the newest toy fad" folks have then moved on to the next fad because good ol AMA #550 FPV (the only kind that will be allowed to be practiced) was so SO boring and confining for them , then the numbers will begin to balance out . Once they can't fly anywhere they want regardless of the safety of others , the thrill will be gone for them and that's when you'll see the true separation of folks who love aircraft VS folks who love the next new toy . Let's be honest , how many of today's FPV people will be spending that kind of cash when it becomes fully enforced that there are NO BLOS operations of any kind allowed ? As in , YES , it MUST be within the spotter's physical sight at all times , no more "star wars tie fighter" weaving through buildings and other sight blocking objects .

Now on the commercial UAS side of the house ? BUY STOCK NOW !!!! Amazon WILL be delivering widgets and a bunch of other commercial operators are gonna add up to big business once the commercial UAS are fully integrated . "The sky's the limit" don't even come close to the scale of future commercial UAS business and commercial UAS is gonna be as big a deal as the computer revolution was to the late 1970s early/mid 1980s . And they're (the money people) not gonna allow your unrestricted toy to get in the way of their bought and paid for slice of the air .

PS , Yes I DO realize this post will be flamed for my saying that most FPV is flown unrestricted . Look at every U tube video you can find , and add up the times you see true and proper #550 FPV being flown VS FPV being flown over unprotected people and out of the non existent spotter's sight . I can find you literally 1000s of flights that do NOT conform to #550 VS only a precious few that do ! So yes , based on what's seen in every on line venue I've checked , I stand fully behind the assertion that more FPV is flown counter to #550 than in accordance with it .

Have fun , and don't forget to parse my grammar (insert middle finger smiley here)

Last edited by init4fun; 03-15-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:36 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
In the future , when the FAA has finished with eliminating unregulated BLOS flying of the sort that most FPV pilots practice , and the "hobby" BLOS operations have fully ceased , and the "jump onto the newest toy fad" folks have then moved on to the next fad because good ol AMA #550 FPV (the only kind that will be allowed to be practiced) was so SO boring and confining for them , then the numbers will begin to balance out . Once they can't fly anywhere they want regardless of the safety of others , the thrill will be gone for them and that's when you'll see the true separation of folks who love aircraft VS folks who love the next new toy . Let's be honest , how many of today's FPV people will be spending that kind of cash when it becomes fully enforced that there are NO BLOS operations of any kind allowed ? As in , YES , it MUST be within the spotter's physical sight at all times , no more "star wars tie fighter" weaving through buildings and other sight blocking objects .

Now on the commercial UAS side of the house ? BUY STOCK NOW !!!! Amazon WILL be delivering widgets and a bunch of other commercial operators are gonna add up to big business once the commercial UAS are fully integrated . "The sky's the limit" don't even come close to the scale of future commercial UAS business and commercial UAS is gonna be as big a deal as the computer revolution was to the late 1970s early/mid 1980s .
Great post. I concur.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.