Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Granpooba
After a near miss of a landing Lear Jet almost hitting our Falcon 200 while crossing a runway on a foggy / low overcast White Plains, NY day. I might say that its not that the airport was un-towered, but that the controllers were un-qualified.

Just a " PERSONAL " peeve, that I will never forget. " No comments are necessary " !
What do U do to get to ride ( Drive) around in a Falcon 200? One reason I tried to keep the audio Panel switch on BOTH. Situwational awarnes. Just something I did.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:43 PM
HoundDog

ALPA: Mandate collision avoidance technology on UAVs

Jul 22, 2015Aaron Karp

COMMENTS

ALPA president Tim Canoll

ALPA

RELATED MEDIA

ATW Photo Gallery-In the News-July 2015

The Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) is calling for Traffic Collision and Avoidance Systems (TCAS) technology to be mandated on unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). Speaking Wednesday at the ALPA Air Safety Forum in Washington DC—two days after a Lufthansa Embraer E-195 reported a near-miss with an UAV on approach to Warsaw—ALPA president Tim Canoll said language requiring that TCAS or similar technology be installed on UAVs should be included in FAA reauthorization legislation ...

http://atwonline.com/technology/alpa...echnology-uavs

Check out these related articals. It seams the world hates us
(Drone Flyers)
[h=5]Related Articles[/h]

Last edited by HoundDog; 05-11-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:03 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Jul 22, 2015Aaron Karp

COMMENTS

ALPA

RELATED MEDIA

The Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) is calling for Traffic Collision and Avoidance Systems (TCAS) technology to be mandated on unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). Speaking Wednesday at the ALPA Air Safety Forum in Washington DC—two days after a Lufthansa Embraer E-195 reported a near-miss with an UAV on approach to Warsaw—ALPA president Tim Canoll said language requiring that TCAS or similar technology be installed on UAVs should be included in FAA reauthorization legislation ...

(Drone Flyers)
Related Articles

Oh Boy!

Mike
Old 05-11-2016, 05:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Oh Boy!

Mike
You can say that again.

Odd though, the plastic bag incident somehow wasn't brought up in that discussion, or bird strikes.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:41 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mongo
really bothered by that story, eh, mike.
Yep, Always in favor or more regulation of the hobby can we get some more.............................................. .......................

Mike
Old 05-12-2016, 04:45 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What do U do to get to ride ( Drive) around in a Falcon 200? One reason I tried to keep the audio Panel switch on BOTH. Situwational awarnes. Just something I did.
What did I do to ride ( Drive ) around in a Falcon 200, you ask ? Well, I think that it was called WORK. LOL As during my aviation career, I did Captain the Falcon 200, along with the Falcon 50's and Falcon 20 .

Was a great job, but I believe as in all work / jobs you eventually get burned out. One of my Co-pilots told me one time, Dave your not burned out, you are just a little toasted. LOL Have been retired for a number of years now and do not miss it one little bit. Part of what I got tired of was making " Rich Axx Holes " happy.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:01 AM
Granpooba

Just to add a short story. Ground Control cleared us to cross the runway. We started to power up and moved a couple of feet, but then stopped, feeling that something just was not right. Just as we asked Ground Control to confirm the instructions to cross the runway, a Lear Jet touched down exactly at the place on the runway where we would have been, if we had continued to taxi.

I then said to Ground Control > Ground Control, do you realize that you just cleared us to taxi right into the path of a landing aircraft ? For a long period of time their was TOTAL SILENCE ! When Ground Control came back on the radio, it was a different controller and we never did get an answer either verbally or written l. NEVER , even got a ....... WE ARE SORRY !
Old 05-12-2016, 05:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Just to add a short story. Ground Control cleared us to cross the runway. We started to power up and moved a couple of feet, but then stopped, feeling that something just was not right. Just as we asked Ground Control to confirm the instructions to cross the runway, a Lear Jet touched down exactly at the place on the runway where we would have been, if we had continued to taxi.

I then said to Ground Control > Ground Control, do you realize that you just cleared us to taxi right into the path of a landing aircraft ? For a long period of time their was TOTAL SILENCE ! When Ground Control came back on the radio, it was a different controller and we never did get an answer either verbally or written l. NEVER , even got a ....... WE ARE SORRY !
I assume it was a very low visibility day or you would have seen it?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:26 AM
HoundDog

I guess it doesn't have to be Christmas to be a "Wonderful Life" Keep'em Flying as long and often as we can. Now that I'm one of the "Old Geezers in the 5 R/C clubs to which I belong that seems to become more important every day as my friends grow older and less active. It's inevitable that some day the Youngsters will be picking over all my "Old Junk" and trying to get it for NOTHING.
On another note almost made a career of aviation ... Then spent 30 years as a Tool & Die Maker. 55 hour weeks from the first day. Then for a 5+ year stretch out of the last 17 it was 8 to 12 hours/day 7 days 52 weeks a year. Great Money not much of a Family life. That is till my
9 year old son found a C/L P-51 w/ a Fox 36X in the basement. Later took up R/c, Well he gave up R/C for Cars and Girls at 17 gave up women from 21 to 35. Said he couldn't afford both, And while cars weren't cheep but were cheaper than girls, his favorite saying was "I don't care what they cost , I can fix'em and they didn't WHINE.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:37 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I assume it was a very low visibility day or you would have seen it?
Airport was at minimums with drizzle and fog. Closest I ever came to being issued my own pair of wings from the Big Wing Maker in the sky.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:21 AM
franklin_m

And AMA is so safety conscious, that on their NOTAM/TFR site, they're still linking to the DC SFRA NOTAM (0/8326) that was superseded (thus no longer valid). I also found out they don't display any NOTAMs unless the "model aircraft" are mentioned. So even if there is a restriction against operations by "all aircraft", the AMA won't list it because the words "model aircraft" are not specifically used.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Jul 22, 2015Aaron Karp

COMMENTS

ALPA

RELATED MEDIA

(Drone Flyers)
Related Articles

I have tried to avoid the comparisons with gun control but this kind of takes the cake. Mandating a very expensive system for toys will just lead to more "criminals" ignoring the law and it won't solve a thing. The vast, vast majority of sUAVs never get close to an airport glide path. A low cost ADS-B type of system can be incorporated into RC receivers and be much more useful. Granted it won't stop an intentional incursion but it will identify the perpetrator.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Jul 22, 2015Aaron Karp

COMMENTS

ALPA

RELATED MEDIA

(Drone Flyers)
Related Articles

I have tried to avoid the comparisons with gun control but this kind of takes the cake. Mandating a very expensive system for toys will just lead to more "criminals" ignoring the law and it won't solve a thing. The vast, vast majority of sUAVs never get close to an airport glide path. A low cost ADS-B type of system can be incorporated into RC receivers and be much more useful. Granted it won't stop an intentional incursion but it will identify the perpetrator.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Granpooba

Perhaps the APAI should concentrate on keeping their pilots sober and forget about the toys. LOL
Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 AM
porcia83
Banned

Perhaps the APAI should concentrate on keeping their pilots sober and forget about the toys. LOL
Zing! Good one. Or how about better pay/working conditions for the small regional carrier pilots?
Old 05-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by porcia83
Zing! Good one. Or how about better pay/working conditions for the small regional carrier pilots?
WOW !! I can not agree with you more. I have told people not in the know about the working conditions and pay for regional / commuter pilots and the average remark is " NO WAY ". I have known of people flipping hamburgers for a major chain making more that what some of the regional carriers starting pay was.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 AM
RC Pilot 007

+1.

drunk pilot very serious problme
Old 05-16-2016, 12:04 PM
N410DC

Good point. Perhaps one of these should be installed in every airline cockpit. It seems that intoxicated pilots are a much bigger problem than unconfirmed sUAV sightings.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 AM
Lamoilleriver

Registration and training will solve the problem. Oh wait... nevermind...
Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by N410DC
Good point. Perhaps one of these should be installed in every airline cockpit. It seems that intoxicated pilots are a much bigger problem than unconfirmed sUAV sightings.
I think I see a connection here!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 AM
lonerwold1

What about drones with big size ? do you know the rules on that ??

I am talking about drones like DJI Phantom 3
Old 05-18-2016, 05:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by lonerwold1

Per FAA rules I don't think any of the DJI drones are legal without a spotter.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:13 AM
Granpooba

Well, according to Donald Trump you can only have a " Big Size Drone " if you have BIG HANDS. LOL
Old 05-18-2016, 06:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Well, according to Donald Trump you can only have a " Big Size Drone " if you have BIG HANDS. LOL
Huuuuuuuuuuuge!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:43 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Per FAA rules I don't think any of the DJI drones are legal without a spotter.
Who/Where does it says U need a spotter for a Drone ... My big TF P-47 is a drone so is my Eflight 2 pound F4U and who says i need a spotter for these Drones?
Just fly Like U always did keep out of the way and all will be OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.