Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
So what have you or your club done to educate local politicians about this issue, or better yet find additional places to fly?

More action on behalf of the AMA that will be criticized, what's new.

If they do nothing, then get criticized for doing nothing, then get blamed for whatever someone does who is caught flying a "drone" while not at a field. Do something to help promote the hobby, educate those in power than can adversely affect us, and they get criticized. Surreal.

If I'm not mistaken, some folks feel the AMA hasn't done enough to find new flying fields. Now they do it, and wait for it...it's a bad thing. Go figure.

Your vote at the club level will do nothing from having the AMA note your field as an AMA affiliated field. The nice thing about the AMA however is that they let clubs determine who/what flies there, so you can "ban" anything you want.
Okay, Mr Doom and Gloom, no one has said the post cards are a bad thing. In fact, I think it's a good place to start. It shows that the AMA board is willing to work with communities in setting up flying sites for "drones" as well as standard fixed wing aircraft. If the communities are willing, I see this as a win/win. It really comes down to how the local government reacts or fails to react
Old 06-07-2016, 07:49 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I look at the way it was written and what has been reported on the local nightly news. In Seattle alone, for example:
1) A drone was flown into Seattle's "Big Wheel", damaging a prop. The drone then fell over 100 feet, landing on and destroying a plastic table at a restaurant below. It was announced that SPD was looking for the owner/operator.
2) A drone was flown around Seattle's Space Needle twice and then down a busy street. It was spotted a few minutes later taking video inside a 15th floor apartment. When the resident saw it and called police, the operator flew it back to his location, packed up and left the area. The SPD was again announced to be looking for the owner/operator
3) A drone was spotted flying above a news helicopter by a second helicopter, followed back to it's operator who, upon retrieving it, ran inside a nearby house. When police arrived at the scene, the resident denied any knowledge but also refused to allow police inside the house to see if the person or drone were inside.

With these reports alone, showing that local law enforcement is taking an active stance in enforcing the FAA rules, it's hard to take the AMA's claim that they are making a difference too seriously
People have been doing stupid things with RC aircraft for years:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-...goodyear-blimp

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...control-3.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035732

Check out the dates on those incidents, certainly predates the whole MR thing.

Education is an invaluable part of prevention. Other than AMA and modelers, who else is doing anything to educate the public and anyone else for that matter on safety? I get the animus towards the AMA, it's always been there and always will be, but to say that their educational programs haven't had any affect on safe flying and possible reductions in these incidents seems illogical. Agree to disagree I guess.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Just a quick observation about 2 clubs that exist just inside the 5 mile radius of two different air ports in the Milwaukee area. They are both over 4,7 miles from their respective and after being required to call a special number every day at the start of flying and let the towers they were starting and would be active all day. Well as of June First both towers resided that phone call saying that even 1 call per day was unnecessary. As a side note until these clubs contacted their respective Towers the Tower personal never even knew these fields existed and didn't care that they were even there. My guess is that even not knowing the clubs were there they had never ever had any incident with any aircraft they had been controlling, it was not anything to worry about know. A problem that was not a problem in the first place ,,,Solved.
I think that will be happening a lot. A better way might be to send a certified letter to a tower notifying them of the field, and that flying will be happening on a routine basis, everyday from one time in the a/m to one time in the p/m. I don't think the rules/regs will be perfect for anyone.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Okay, Mr Doom and Gloom, no one has said the post cards are a bad thing. In fact, I think it's a good place to start. It shows that the AMA board is willing to work with communities in setting up flying sites for "drones" as well as standard fixed wing aircraft. If the communities are willing, I see this as a win/win. It really comes down to how the local government reacts or fails to react
LoL...you might have quoted the wrong person here Hyrdo...I'm not the doom and gloomer here, nor have I said post cards are a bad thing.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wahoo
Did you watch the video at all ??
Yep. 10 minutes of the inside of a woman's shirt. The pilot was following her because he was able to track the drone. BUT he was far enough away he did not SEE or his spotter SEE she had picked it up. That's a problem (IMHO).

It should have been in visual the whole time.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:29 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Just a quick observation about 2 clubs that exist just inside the 5 mile radius of two different air ports in the Milwaukee area. They are both over 4,7 miles from their respective and after being required to call a special number every day at the start of flying and let the towers they were starting and would be active all day. Well as of June First both towers resided that phone call saying that even 1 call per day was unnecessary. As a side note until these clubs contacted their respective Towers the Tower personal never even knew these fields existed and didn't care that they were even there. My guess is that even not knowing the clubs were there they had never ever had any incident with any aircraft they had been controlling, it was not anything to worry about know. A problem that was not a problem in the first place ,,,Solved.
Wording in the new bill would require all fields within 5 miles of airports to make that call ( every day ) and ask for permission. Chad our new "government go to guy" even brings up that point in his latest video.
Although it's looking like nothing will get done on either bill right now ( typical government ) that just sucks.

Mike
Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

This could really be a problem. Tower operators might very well find frequent calls annoying and distracting and just issue a blanket denial to avoid the nuisance.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:32 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by bokuda
This could really be a problem. Tower operators might very well find frequent calls annoying and distracting and just issue a blanket denial to avoid the nuisance.
There ya go. My thoughts exactly. Maybe they should mail every tower in the country a "postcard".....................

Mike
Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why not a blanket approval? Actually a blanket approval or denial would be against the wording of the bill.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Wording in the new bill would require all fields within 5 miles of airports to make that call ( every day ) and ask for permission. Chad our new "government go to guy" even brings up that point in his latest video.
Although it's looking like nothing will get done on either bill right now ( typical government ) that just sucks.

Mike
Chad isn't exactly new. What is proposed...and what currently is...are two different things. Of course we can continue to worry about what might happen in the future..or we can follow the current rules and keep flying. Permission isn't required.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:24 AM
porcia83
Banned

There ya go. My thoughts exactly. Maybe they should mail every tower in the country a "postcard".....................

Mike
They could do that, but then they would be criticized for that as well. But good point, you can always make that suggestion to Chad.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

They might feel that already but it's not stopping anyone from flying, at least not from the comments here. It's doubtful a tower 4.99 miles away from a club will ever have the ability to stop folks from flying.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds like it will become part of the their job responsibility. If they deny the request the requester should ask for a reason why the request was denied.

They could just as easily approve as well.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
They could just as easily approve each request as well which would actually be easier. Denial would require an explanation, approval would not.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Nothing to worry about at this point.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:40 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Nothing to worry about at this point.
Except no bill means no money for the FAA means no air traffic controllers means no commercial fights means country at a standstill. There is a lot more than RC in those bills.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Except no bill means no money for the FAA means no air traffic controllers means no commercial fights means country at a standstill. There is a lot more than RC in those bills.

Two words, "Continuing Resolution"

However I believe it is early for that. They will cram through what they want at the last minute.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Perhaps something might actually get done once the money stops flowing....
Old 06-08-2016, 02:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

It's my understanding that the present bill has been originated in the Senate and voted on and approved. Now it must go to the house for approval or changes if there are changes then it goes to committee for resolution of a new bill and then goes back to both the house and the sent for a vote then to the President for HER signature making it the law of the land. Also It just may never come up in the house this session and of it does not get approved by this congress it all starts over, if I understand the process correctly.
My suggestion is that we have a massive Letter writing campaign to our Congressmen and state Senators....Telling them that We "Traditional R/C Model Airplane Flyers" are not what the world considers "DRONES" Quads M.R. etc and we are NOT the Problem and should be excluded from this legislation when flying in/at a chartered or designated R/C Model flying field. We have to Inundate them with Paper it's the only thing they might understand. It may be our last chance to save our Hobby/Sport from the regulations that are neither needed nor necessary for 99% of R/C Flying at Designated flying sites. I know I'm Preaching to the choir but What the hell, It's just food for thought.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Sport_Pilot

The House cannot make changes to the Senate bill. Instead both bills go to committee and differences between them are resolved and voted on, then to Obama.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:29 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
They could just as easily approve each request as well which would actually be easier. Denial would require an explanation, approval would not.
Why would denial require an explanation? Tower/FBO says "no," and that's it. They're in the driver's seat.

Let's hope it doesn't come to this.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Why would denial require an explanation? Tower/FBO says "no," and that's it. They're in the driver's seat.

Why would it not require a reasonable justification? What makes you think they can just do whatever they want without any justifiable reason?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:47 PM
rcmiket

Unfortunately that's the bottom line. They could just say no and it's done. They aren't required to explain a thing. If we have learned one thing from all this horse crap is the FAA don't care about a bunch of guys with toy airplanes and the AMA try as they may is not a force in any of this.

Mike
Old 06-08-2016, 03:00 PM
HoundDog

The Idea is that the house doesn't get to it this term and we get them to DROP any requirement for permission from a tower to fly at a Designated Flying site. Look these fields have been in their location in many cases for more than 30 years and the towers never even knew they were even there. WHY because we are not a threat to Full Scale never was never will be, So no need for any approval since they never knew we existed in the first place. U all give up way to easy ... better sell all your JUNK know while it's worth something ... Besides there are thousands of R/C Fields this doesn't even concern. Do U personally fly at a field within 5 miles of a towered field????? How man of actually fly at a field with in 5 miles of a towered airport.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:10 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The House cannot make changes to the Senate bill. Instead both bills go to committee and differences between them are resolved and voted on, then to Obama.
I mean the House comes up with a different bill of it's own then it goes to committee ,,, Then to her HIGHNESS HEIL Hilary

The Idea here is to get this language out of any legislation .... That was the Intent of the amendment #336 ... Why should the senate or anyone change their minds and require tower approval When we aren't the problem ... It's a fix for a problem that does not and never did exist till the AMA tried to tell the FAA what and what not they could do to R/C Model aircraft. I to thought it was a good thing till I saw the way the FAA Reacted and then Interpenetrated the amendment.

As I see it this is possibly our last chance to get this wording out of any Legislation concerning R/C model aircraft. Don't be so NEGATIVE about our chances at least give it a try.

Last edited by HoundDog; 06-08-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.