Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

R/C Aircraft pilots can be jailed in L.A. Cointy

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

R/C Aircraft pilots can be jailed in L.A. Cointy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:53 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quad...Hex...Octocopter...you've got 4...6...8 motors made out of Steel, Aluminum, Copper...Neo Magnets, etc...all of which are considerably harder / denser than any (typically) hollow bird bones...4, 6 or 8 times the chances for parts to get scattered through an airliner's engine...(or wherever)

You get bits and pieces of just one brushless outrunner motor going through the core of a jet engine...especially at Take Off power setting...and you've got REAL problems...
Most of the doubters seem to think that the big fan in the front of the engine is all that's to it...?!?

I don't mean to add to the derailment of the thread, but...I keep reading the same thing over and over, from many different people, here in RCU and over at RCG, who seem to live in a world of denial...they keep making the same comparisons of birds vs. "Drones"...(or whatever label ya wanna use)

I am no expert, but I don't think that there are any birds (the hard parts of them) with the same density as Steel, Aluminum, etc. etc...not to mention the batteries, carbon fiber and electronics, and camera components, and so on...that might constitute a "Drone" or "Traditional" model aircraft

Can we stop please with the comparisons??? There is no comparison...

Last edited by proptop; 10-24-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drac1
We're talking about model planes not birds.

So you wouldn't care if a model plane went through an engine while you were on the plane?
Not a mid sized one, No. But we are talking small drones here. None of the expensive large drones have been an issue.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Sport_Pilot

Most of the doubters seem to think that the big fan in the front of the engine is all that's to it...?!?
The big fan actually protects the compressor fan. As far as hardness of the material they have used frozen and unfrozen foul and found no difference in damage. Harder objects as well. The mass of the object is the major determination of damage, not hardness.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Too bad we can't send Sport Pilot to testify in front of the Commercial Pilot's Assn, the FAA and even Nancy Grace and let them know that they're just being a bunch of Worry Warts..!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:40 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Not a mid sized one, No. But we are talking small drones here. None of the expensive large drones have been an issue.
Pretty sure you are in the minority there.

I'm glad you fly nowhere near me. And hopefully nowhere near any airport.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Too bad we can't send Sport Pilot to testify in front of the Commercial Pilot's Assn, the FAA and even Nancy Grace and let them know that they're just being a bunch of Worry Warts..!
I did not say there is nothing to worry about, but that this is too drastic for the danger it does impose.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

Pretty sure you are in the minority there.

So you say we should register and possibly outlaw all quads? If so why not model airplanes?
Old 10-24-2015, 09:33 PM
drac1

So you say we should register and possibly outlaw all quads? If so why not model airplanes?
Umm, really?? No I didn't say that. How did you come up with that from this?

Originally Posted by drac1Pretty sure you are in the minority there.

I said you are in the minority saying you are happy to be in a full size jet when a model plane goes through the engine and I'm glad you fly nowhere near me and hopefully any airport. Is that plain enough for you to understand?

But seeing as you brought it up, I wouldn't lose any sleep if quads/drones were outlawed. They are the main reason RC flying is getting all the unwarranted attention and bad publicity it is.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Umm, really?? No I didn't say that. How did you come up with that from this?
I didn't, you would rather bash me than stay on topic. So I asked questions about the topic.

I said you are in the minority saying you are happy to be in a full size jet when a model plane goes through the engine and I'm glad you fly nowhere near me and hopefully any airport. Is that plain enough for you to understand?
I do not presently fly any full scale. I think you are misunderstanding the entire premise. That is that the whole thing is overblown and not as dangerous as the FAA and the press are making out.

If quads are outlawed then radio control models will be as well. Maybe not at first but right behind.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 10-25-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:20 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill fly where ever i please
Old 10-25-2015, 01:04 PM
drac1

1. I didn't, you would rather bash me than stay on topic. So I asked questions about the topic.

2. I do not presently fly any full scale. 3. I think you are misunderstanding the entire premise. 4. That is that the whole thing is overblown and not as dangerous as the FAA and the press are making out.

5. If quads are outlawed then radio control models will be as well. Maybe not at first but right behind.
1. Sure you did.

2. Didn't say or imply that either.

3. I understand perfectly.

4. Maybe a bit concerning small models and drones, but there are larger models, (and large scale), flown at model fields as well. These would definitely cause serious damage or possibly a crash. There is no way to have a height restriction for one without the other.

5. Who's sensationalising now?
Old 10-25-2015, 01:08 PM
[email protected]

everyone schould stop talking and maybe it will go away
Old 10-25-2015, 01:18 PM
drac1

Wink

Lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1445807690931.png
Views:	46
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	2127658  
Old 10-25-2015, 03:59 PM
drac1

I didn't, you would rather bash me than stay on topic. So I asked questions about the topic.

I do not presently fly any full scale. I think you are misunderstanding the entire premise. That is that the whole thing is overblown and not as dangerous as the FAA and the press are making out.

If quads are outlawed then radio control models will be as well. Maybe not at first but right behind.
By the way, not bashing you. Sorry if it came across that way.

We just have different opinions.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Stevojet

Attention Los Angeles RC pilots:
Mr Matt made this crystal clear at the top of this thread, but I will reiterate as follows:
The Los Angeles City proposed ordinance will ban flying model aircraft with 5 miles of any airport within the city limits without permission from The airport control tower. This ordinance was unanimously passed by the City council and is on the mayors desk waiting for his signature. 40 days after he signs it, The law take effect. All that needs to happen then is for parks and rec to padlock the gate to any model airfield within 5 miles of an airport and it's closed. The end. Unless the airport control tower decides to give permission for it to re-open. Doubtful imho. Why would anyone in the tower take on the liability? It only takes one idiot to spoil it for us all.
It seems to me flying RC in the city of Los Angeles will be at least disrupted for a time of not completely eliminated by the end of the year. I am not buying any more new planes. Might have a few for sale though.
just my .02

Steve
Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Sport_Pilot

but there are larger models, (and large scale),
But we have no large quads and certainly not any large scale that is flying near airliners. They have not been part of the problem
Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Sport_Pilot

Lol.
That was FOD not quad.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:58 PM
drac1

That was FOD not quad.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:59 PM
drac1

But we have no large quads and certainly not any large scale that is flying near airliners. They have not been part of the problem
Okey dokey.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Stevojet
Attention Los Angeles RC pilots:
Mr Matt made this crystal clear at the top of this thread, but I will reiterate as follows:
The Los Angeles City proposed ordinance will ban flying model aircraft with 5 miles of any airport within the city limits without permission from The airport control tower. This ordinance was unanimously passed by the City council and is on the mayors desk waiting for his signature. 40 days after he signs it, The law take effect. All that needs to happen then is for parks and rec to padlock the gate to any model airfield within 5 miles of an airport and it's closed. The end. Unless the airport control tower decides to give permission for it to re-open. Doubtful imho. Why would anyone in the tower take on the liability? It only takes one idiot to spoil it for us all.
It seems to me flying RC in the city of Los Angeles will be at least disrupted for a time of not completely eliminated by the end of the year. I am not buying any more new planes. Might have a few for sale though.
just my .02

Steve
There are already hundreds, if not thousands of club already operating within 5 miles of airports. An airport does not "take on liability" when it allows a club to fly their aircraft within 5 miles. Never have, and never will. Hopefully the pressure to veto the proposed ordinance will not be directed to the mayor. Have you been in touch with the local AVP, or VP for the district?
Old 10-26-2015, 04:59 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

let this thread die.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

In RCU land...threads never die...they sometimes fade away, but never die.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The law was signed by the mayor 24 hours after I got a message from the AMA about it.

It had passed the city council 5 weeks prior to that.

The AMA lobbiests write a (poorly worded) bill, FAA interpreted "notifying" an airport to mean "getting permission" from an airport and now LA city council interprets "getting permission" to mean "permission in writing" from the control tower.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mr_matt
The law was signed by the mayor 24 hours after I got a message from the AMA about it.

The AMA lobbiests write a (poorly worded) bill, FAA interpreted "notifying" an airport to mean "getting permission" from an airport and now LA city council interprets "getting permission" to mean "permission in writing" from the control tower.
I thought the bill was clear on that point. Also I am not aware that the FAA said to "get permission". I thought the new AC said to "notify" the airport. I think the LA city council is getting bad info from the local FAA FSDO as they have tried to make that an issue before. Time to get the AMA and FAA higher officials involved.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Ah of course, it's the AMA's fault, naturally. I must have missed the part where they write bills that the FAA is required to interpret. This really has nothing at all to do with the politics of the LA city council.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.