Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

R/C Aircraft pilots can be jailed in L.A. Cointy

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

R/C Aircraft pilots can be jailed in L.A. Cointy

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:45 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I thought the bill was clear on that point. Also I am not aware that the FAA said to "get permission". I thought the new AC said to "notify" the airport. I think the LA city council is getting bad info from the local FAA FSDO as they have tried to make that an issue before. Time to get the AMA and FAA higher officials involved.
You just won't take the time to read the entire reg will you? How many times do I have to tell you you are wrong? And no, I will not again show you the exact wording - read the ENTIRE reg yoursef, not jsut the parts you like.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot help it, but Sport Pilot said "the big fan protects the compressor". LOL, sorry dude but that big fan actually produces about 80% of the output thrust of a high by pass engine and it is not there to protect the compressor. Sorry, I had to say something.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:20 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

There is a new AC out? Can someone please let me know the number so I can read?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 108buzz
I cannot help it, but Sport Pilot said "the big fan protects the compressor". LOL, sorry dude but that big fan actually produces about 80% of the output thrust of a high by pass engine and it is not there to protect the compressor. Sorry, I had to say something.
The compressor and turbine is the source of power, the big fan will have some bent blades and fling the bits and pieces from the compressor. The engine has vents to allow ice and debris to exit the nacelle so most of the parts do not enter the more fragile compressor and turbine blades.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by 108buzz
There is a new AC out? Can someone please let me know the number so I can read?

Thanks
Same number but has an a at the end. I think it is 91-57a.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
You just won't take the time to read the entire reg will you? How many times do I have to tell you you are wrong? And no, I will not again show you the exact wording - read the ENTIRE reg yoursef, not jsut the parts you like.
What reg?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mr_matt
The law was signed by the mayor 24 hours after I got a message from the AMA about it.

It had passed the city council 5 weeks prior to that.

The AMA lobbiests write a (poorly worded) bill, FAA interpreted "notifying" an airport to mean "getting permission" from an airport and now LA city council interprets "getting permission" to mean "permission in writing" from the control tower.

I thought the bill was clear on that point. Also I am not aware that the FAA said to "get permission". I thought the new AC said to "notify" the airport. I think the LA city council is getting bad info from the local FAA FSDO as they have tried to make that an issue before. Time to get the AMA and FAA higher officials involved.
Rereading the AC it says to give prior notice, but that means the same thing.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:25 AM
Silent-AV8R

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_91-57A.pdf
Old 10-27-2015, 05:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

That is not a regulation but as I said before it says to give prior notice and means the same as notify.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Silent-AV8R

That is not a regulation but as I said before it says to give prior notice and means the same as notify.
I never said it was a regulation. A guy in a post above asked about it so I provided a direct link to the document on the FAA website.

Did you walk to work?
No, I brought my lunch,
Old 10-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

I didn't mean that you were claiming it was a regulation. Since I answered his question with the correct AC number (though I was not sure I was correct) I assumed that you were claiming that rgburril was referring to the same. Since I cannot see a requirement that the airport give permission I thought he may be talking about a different, perhaps new, regulation, (or AC, policy letter, etc) I was not familiar with.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Silent-AV8R

Looks like Garcetti signed it last Thursday. Goes into effect on December 2, 2015

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...2_12-02-15.pdf

Best I can tell, this is the fine structure:

(b) Every violation determined to be an infraction is punishable
by (1) a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100) for a firstviolation; (2) a fine not exceeding two hundred dollars ($200) for asecond violation of the same ordinance within one year; (3) a finenot exceeding five hundred dollars ($500) for each additionalviolation of the same ordinance within one year.
It is NOT a criminal violation. It is covered under administrative citations if I understand the code correctly. So no jail at least!!

Last edited by Silent-AV8R; 10-27-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:11 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Are there no exceptions carved out there for AMA chartered clubs? Although I see the terms drone and uas in there, it also seemed to indicate non hobby aircraft as to what they were going after. Looks like they are trying to put more teeth into enforcement (reckless operation/endangerment), although those laws were already on the book in a more generic sense.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

I see problems with (b)1., (b)5., and (e). The FAA presently does not require authorization by the airport. And flights above 400 feet is allowed outside of the 5 mile airport limit. That is unless the new AC is not voluntary.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Looks like Garcetti signed it last Thursday. Goes into effect on December 2, 2015

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...2_12-02-15.pdf

Best I can tell, this is the fine structure:

It is NOT a criminal violation. It is covered under administrative citations if I understand the code correctly. So no jail at least!!
The law says it is a misdemeanor not infraction. In CA that is a maximum fine of $1,000 or one year in jail.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

[h=2]Get your popcorn ready[/h]
Administrator Huerta is scheduled to testify before the Senate Transportation, Housing and Urban Development Appropriations Subcommittee at 10AM today. The hearing, titled “Integrating Unmanned Aircraft Systems Technology into the National Airspace System” will be webcast

http://www.appropriations.senate.gov...irspace-system
Old 10-28-2015, 06:32 AM
Silent-AV8R

I cited the exact section of law that this new ordinance says will be the applicable fine structure.

(d) It shall be unlawful for any Person to violate or fail to comply with this section. Any Person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to the provisions of Subsection (m) of Section 11.00 of thisCode.
Here is that Section:

36900. (a) Violation of a city ordinance is a misdemeanor unless by ordinance it is made an infraction. The violation of a city ordinance may be prosecuted by city authorities in the name of the people of the State of California, or redressed by civil action. (b) Every violation determined to be an infraction is punishable by (1) a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100) for a first violation; (2) a fine not exceeding two hundred dollars ($200) for a second violation of the same ordinance within one year; (3) a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500) for each additional violation of the same ordinance within one year.
Note that jail time is specifically not mentioned.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

(b) Every violation determined to be an infraction is punishable
The law said it was a misdemeanor, that fine structure was only for laws that were determined to be infractions.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Silent-AV8R

The law said it was a misdemeanor, that fine structure was only for laws that were determined to be infractions.
And they also say clearly that a violation of the ordinance will be covered by the section I quoted above.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

And they also say clearly that a violation of the ordinance will be covered by the section I quoted above.
Well I have never heard of a misdemeanor taken care of by a citation. It may not require jail time, but they take you in and book you, fingerprints and all.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

not always...many times it's on paper only.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Well you left out the part of that very section that says all violations are misdemeanor's unless determined to be an infraction.
(m) It shall be unlawful for any person to violate any provision or fail to comply with any of the requirements of this Code. Any person violating any of the provisions or failing to comply with any of the mandatory requirements of this Code, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor unless that violation or failure is declared in this Code to be an infraction. An infraction shall be tried and be punishable as provided in Section 19.6 of the Penal Code and the provisions of this section. Any violation of this Code that is designated as a misdemeanor, may be charged by the City Attorney as either a misdemeanor or an infraction.

Every violation of this Code is punishable as a misdemeanor unless provision is otherwise made, and shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 or by imprisonment in the County Jail for a period of not more than six months, or by both a fine and imprisonment.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
not always...many times it's on paper only.
You mean like a speeding ticket That is an infraction, not a misdemeanor. Misdemeanor is usually crimes like hit and run (unless you hit a person then it is a felony), shoplifting, petty theft, burglary (unless armed than it is a felony, also a large dollar teft is felony), and trespassing. Sometimes, especially with maybe trespassing where there was no apparent intent to do harm they will give you a ticket, unlike felony when they always take you in..
Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

sounds like everyone here are cops
Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

You mean like a speeding ticket That is an infraction, not a misdemeanor. Misdemeanor is usually crimes like hit and run (unless you hit a person then it is a felony), shoplifting, petty theft, burglary (unless armed than it is a felony, also a large dollar teft is felony), and trespassing. Sometimes, especially with maybe trespassing where there was no apparent intent to do harm they will give you a ticket, unlike felony when they always take you in..
No, not just motor vehicle, other criminal offenses as well. It varies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.