Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Judge dismisses charges for shooting down a drone.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Judge dismisses charges for shooting down a drone.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Gauge refers to the bore. Load refers to the contents of the shell.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:08 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lifer
Gauge refers to the bore. Load refers to the contents of the shell.
If I have to explain the joke.....guess the visual pun wasn't enough.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:01 PM
jetmaven

Random gunshots fired into the air can and have been lethal . What goes up .................
Just ask the kid in L.A. who's now partially paralyzed after " celebratory " gun fire descended onto his head.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In a society that is ruled by common sense and by our natural rights he never would have been charged in the first place.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:42 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmaven
Random gunshots fired into the air can and have been lethal . What goes up .................
Just ask the kid in L.A. who's now partially paralyzed after " celebratory " gun fire descended onto his head.
I'm certain I read a news story a year or few back about a woman killed at the Mardi Gras celebration by a falling bullet from such "celebratory gunfire" so I'm sure also that it happens .Course , I'd still shoot the drone myself , I'd just use Buckshot rather than any single projectile ammo .....

PS , hey Sport , Mythbusters be damned , they were a good show the first few years but as of recently I've seen at least a few times they were full of what pushes up the little mushrooms . Like all great TV ideas , their "15 min of fame" have come and gone ....
Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

the show has been cancelled.....next year is the last year I think.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:42 PM
luvtoav8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Mythbusters tested verticle shots and found no bullets to go fast enough to penetrate the skin. They also found stories to the contrary to be suspect.
You and Myth Busters should inform the parents of 7 year old Brendon Mackey that their son was not really killed on July 4, 2013 by a bullet that penetrated the top of his skull while he and his family were walking to a fireworks display near Richmond, Virginia. I was at the event and when the child was loaded into the ambulance he certainly looked in very bad shape to me and I am a licensed registered nurse.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/10...n-celebratory/
Old 10-28-2015, 04:33 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by luvtoav8
You and Myth Busters should inform the parents of 7 year old Brendon Mackey that their son was not really killed on July 4, 2013 by a bullet that penetrated the top of his skull while he and his family were walking to a fireworks display near Richmond, Virginia. I was at the event and when the child was loaded into the ambulance he certainly looked in very bad shape to me and I am a licensed registered nurse.

Instead of allowing extreme flukes, outliers, anomalies and rarities rule our lives and form our opinions, why not seek out what is best for the common good...?
I'm willing to bet that 100 times more US citizens have been struck by lightening than struck in the top of the head by a free falling bullet.
To put the scarcity of this freak occurance in perspective..what would you say is more common, infants born with two heads or folks struck by falling bullets...?
Now if you understand Compounded Odds, [just a tiny bit]...you take the extremely rare odds of someone shooting at a drone and factor in the infinitesimal odds of being struck in the head by that same projectile and you will have redefined the word SILLY if you think that this could happen in the next million years.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 PM
jetmaven

Try not to forget those very same odds existed before the kid and the woman were killed and the kid in L.A. had his life ruined because some moron had to " celebrate " .
Old 10-28-2015, 04:55 PM
combatpigg

Try not to forget those very same odds existed before the kid and the woman were killed and the kid in L.A. had his life ruined because some moron had to " celebrate " .
There is no dispute about how tragic that is
On a planet with billions of people, news stories trickle in daily about extremely rare occurrences.
My earlier statement also assumes that the shooter is aiming near vertical and that he is using bird shot or buck shot and not a .50 caliber MG.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:00 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by TimJ
Disappointing.
What's disappointing is the number of RC pilots (if that's what drone flyers are?) that think they have a right to annoy others, invade their privacy, and generally be knuckleheads.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Not to be accused of insulting anybodys intelligence but some of the opinions here dont seem to be well thought out. a ruling like this opens it up so that the guy that lives at the end of your flying field can shoot down your plane. Bad precedent... And shooting in the air is dangerous in populated areas.. The reason you dont hear about alot of accidents is most gun owners are pretty responsible and don't go shooting in the air...
Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Wow. So Newton was wrong. Where do you come up with this stuff?
Newton was not wrong, bullets do not come down at the same velocity as from a gun. It's called terminal velocity. If you have ever done much hunting, you would have experianced shot raining from the sky. Won't kill, doesn't even hurt. BTW I have been hit by a ricochet, the bullet did not even pierce my clothing.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm sorry to correct you, but I have a source that indicates 12 gauge

I have found it wise to say nothing about things I have little knowledge of.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

The internet...TV...Mythbusters specifically. Wonder if any of them stood under where the ammo was falling, you know, without a helmet to test their theories.
No they dug up the bullets and measured the depth in the ground. They tested the ground for known velocities, then tested bullets shot with an air gun at those velocities. I think the velocity was less than 200 MPH but the muzzle velocity was well supersonic. The bullet would give you a bad bruise, might cause an abrasion. I suppose a small child with a soft skull could be killed by one but it would be a fluke, or the bullet did not come straight down, it would be coming at a much higher velocity if shot up at an angle, especially below 45 degrees.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by luvtoav8

This says the bullet was fired from a mile away, no way was it shot straight up. Also not a shotgun, bird shot will not do this.

There
Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
I'm certain I read a news story a year or few back about a woman killed at the Mardi Gras celebration by a falling bullet from such "celebratory gunfire" so I'm sure also that it happens .Course , I'd still shoot the drone myself , I'd just use Buckshot rather than any single projectile ammo .....

PS , hey Sport , Mythbusters be damned , they were a good show the first few years but as of recently I've seen at least a few times they were full of what pushes up the little mushrooms . Like all great TV ideas , their "15 min of fame" have come and gone ....

That was one of the early years. Buckshot might be a problem, suggest birdshot.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Sport_Pilot

We are talking about a shotgun shot almost straight up into the air, not high powered rifle bullets or even pistols fired above the horizon.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by 2walla
Not to be accused of insulting anybodys intelligence but some of the opinions here dont seem to be well thought out. a ruling like this opens it up so that the guy that lives at the end of your flying field can shoot down your plane. Bad precedent... And shooting in the air is dangerous in populated areas.. The reason you dont hear about alot of accidents is most gun owners are pretty responsible and don't go shooting in the air...
If you are flying over his house, he has the right to shoot down your plane, and you would derserve the loss. Not a precedent BTW, it is the law in many states, specifically spelled out. Not supposed to be left to a judges decision.

Also he used a shotgun, bird shot doesn't even go the length of a football field, and loses enough energy to penetrate well before that.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 10-28-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:13 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Nice to see a judge that gets it right!
Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

I have found it wise to say nothing about things I have little knowledge of.
Is that on a go forward basis? What is that start date on that?
Old 10-29-2015, 03:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

We are talking about a shotgun shot almost straight up into the air, not high powered rifle bullets or even pistols fired above the horizon.
Except that you've been talking about bullets, in fact you're the one that brought up the Mythbusters segment that deal with bullets. And now you confirm that a bullet can kill someone, but have qualified it to say it was a child with a soft skull. Would you be willing to test your theory out and take a round to the head? You're really going out on a limb to argue your case, just wondered if you would be willing to put your head where your mouth is.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:13 AM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Good grief you guys sound like a bunch of kids arguing in the sandbox over who's farts smells the worst. Get a life please,

Dennis
Old 10-29-2015, 04:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Except that you've been talking about bullets, in fact you're the one that brought up the Mythbusters segment that deal with bullets. And now you confirm that a bullet can kill someone, but have qualified it to say it was a child with a soft skull. Would you be willing to test your theory out and take a round to the head? You're really going out on a limb to argue your case, just wondered if you would be willing to put your head where your mouth is.
Early on I or someone else noted that he shot straight up or nearly so. The news report said the shot was from a mile away so the shot was not straight up. When shot just over the horizon the bullet will be deadly till it hits the ground. Maximum range for a .22 is about a mile, more for a high powered rifle. Neither will go more than a few hundred feet (that is the distance from the shooter to where the bullet hit the dirt) when shot straight up.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Is that on a go forward basis? What is that start date on that?
Nearly all of my posts are correct because of this. That includes the posts I made about this when the news first came out on this incident. If I am wrong I admit it, unless the posts are so old I forgot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.