Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Judge dismisses charges for shooting down a drone.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Judge dismisses charges for shooting down a drone.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:36 AM
bonehead2434
My Feedback: (179)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as much as i love doing rc ,,I WOULD SHOOT ANY DRONE ON MY PROPERTY IF THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE glad to see judges decision
Old 10-29-2015, 04:44 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Propworn
Good grief you guys sound like a bunch of kids arguing in the sandbox over who's farts smells the worst. Get a life please,

Dennis
I can confirm mind don't.

Lighten up....
Old 10-29-2015, 05:08 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
My opinion is the Judge made the correct decision. Good for Him.
Ditto !

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!
Old 10-29-2015, 05:11 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Propworn
Good grief you guys sound like a bunch of kids arguing in the sandbox over who's farts smells the worst. Get a life please,

Dennis
We all do have lives, just tired of government people trying to control them. Now, pass the beans, please ..............
Old 10-29-2015, 05:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
We all do have lives, just tired of government people trying to control them. Now, pass the beans, please ..............
Tempted to insert that great scene from Blazzing Saddles...but lack the skills required to imbed it.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:37 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

When I first heard this story and that it was out of a small town in Kentucky I drew a mental image of a sparsely populated area. After looking at the satellite view, this area looks more like Sardineville with houses packed into tiny postage stamp lots.
The judge must be familiar enough with the mechanics of the shooting to be able to make a ruling that would undoubtedly fall under much scrutiny.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by combatpigg
When I first heard this story and that it was out of a small town in Kentucky I drew a mental image of a sparsely populated area. After looking at the satellite view, this area looks more like Sardineville with houses packed into tiny postage stamp lots.
The judge must be familiar enough with the mechanics of the shooting to be able to make a ruling that would undoubtedly fall under much scrutiny.
I am not that sure it matters. Their trespassing law makes no distinction that bullets or shotgun shot must stay on the premises.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:23 AM
TimJ

Fine, charge the drone pilot with trespassing. That's fine and dandy. But the Shooter should be charged for downing an aircraft. The FAA considers a drone to be an aircraft.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I can confirm mind don't.

Lighten up....
Come by here a few hours after the "Buffalo wing night" feast , and I'll show ya farts that'll peel paint from the walls !

Originally Posted by TimJ
Fine, charge the drone pilot with trespassing. That's fine and dandy. But the Shooter should be charged for downing an aircraft. The FAA considers a drone to be an aircraft.
But what of "enemy aircraft" ? What is the law of downing those ? By the act of spying , the aircraft was engaged in urban warfare , so the shoot down seems plenty justified to me . I think we're safe from the Geneva convention on this one .....
Old 10-29-2015, 11:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Come by here a few hours after the "Buffalo wing night" feast , and I'll show ya farts that'll peel paint from the walls !

But what of "enemy aircraft" ? What is the law of downing those ? By the act of spying , the aircraft was engaged in urban warfare , so the shoot down seems plenty justified to me . I think we're safe from the Geneva convention on this one .....
PASS! I'll take your work on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ooh.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2128271  
Old 10-29-2015, 11:52 AM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

Guys, wait till a drone takes down a passenger plane, then see what happens to the responsible rc pilots that fly safely in designated areas. IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:04 PM
TimJ

The drone wasn't spying. That's the difference. I have yet to see anyone actually trying to peek in someone's windows with a drone...Yet. No expectation of privacy outside of your home. Click here http://binged.it/1MwJHFR The Bing Helicopters are spying on you.........
Old 10-29-2015, 02:11 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
The drone wasn't spying. That's the difference. I have yet to see anyone actually trying to peek in someone's windows with a drone...Yet. No expectation of privacy outside of your home. Click here http://binged.it/1MwJHFR The Bing Helicopters are spying on you.........
Just curious , did you read the story from the link in post one ? The homeowner said specifically the drone was hovering just outside the house's window(s) and pointing the camera inside . Sure sounds like spying to me .

Chalk this one up as ;

"justified Droneicide"

Old 10-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by gwweber
Guys, wait till a drone takes down a passenger plane, then see what happens to the responsible rc pilots that fly safely in designated areas. IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!
Can only agree with you. Have a funny feeling that what we are seeing now is just the tip of an iceberg.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:13 PM
combatpigg

If the outcome had gone the other way, the message to drone pilots in that area is..LET'S PARTY..!
The message sent ought to make those who think it's OK to fly onto your neighbor's property, reconsider his options.
In an era where being an "anonamous neighbor" was the exception instead of the rule, people cared enough about their reputations and standing in the community to make behavior like this less common.
Some of the commenters think it's wrong to shoot at a drone under any circumstances and I'm willing to bet they are the same folks who lack the gumption to defend themselves and their families from ANY threat if it ever came down to it.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Okay Drone Pilots...!!! Lock and Load....we're shootin' back...!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBC-xL_MTg

"just a little Redneck Humor"...LoL...!!!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Granpooba

Well, we can always volunteer for Iraq, Syria or any other war torn country. Then we could get to fly these so called drones all we want and even drop bombs.

The way our President is ramping up again in Iraq, it may be only a short time before our services are required there AGAIN !
Old 10-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
Okay Drone Pilots...!!! Lock and Load....we're shootin' back...!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBC-xL_MTg

"just a little Redneck Humor"...LoL...!!!
Previously watched this video. At least he is not using it to attack a school. Not as yet, anyways !
Old 10-29-2015, 02:25 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
When I first read the initial stories it seemed he did live in a fairly rural area. Furthermore, he shot towards an open field. The guy flying the thing lived far enough away that he and his friends had to drive to where the drone was shot rather than walk. Also, even though this story doesn't say it in the original stories the shooter said that the drone was also spying on his neighbor's 13 year old daughter who was sunbathing in her backyard. And the drone was also low enough at one point to be looking in the neighbors house under a patio cover.

Last edited by rgburrill; 10-29-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by rgburrill
When I first read the initial stories it seemed he did live in a fairly rural area. Furthermore, he shot towards an open field. The guy flying the thing lived far enough away that he and his friends had to drive to where the drone was shot rather than walk. Also, even though this story doesn't say it in the original stories the shooter said that the drone was also spying on his neighbor's 13 year old daughter who was sunbathing in her backyard. And the drone was also low enough at one point to be looking in the neighbors house under a patio cover.
Thanks for the extra details that our news media conveniently [and predictably] left out.

Last edited by combatpigg; 10-29-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:25 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Maybe a DRONE season-kind of like snipe hunting !!!
Old 10-30-2015, 05:13 AM
rob r
My Feedback: (57)

I fly a qav250 quadcopter aka drone. If I fly over some ones house that I don't know I try to stay at the 100 ft mark but I also never fly over the 400 ft mark. I think both are rules for r/c flying. some how I never have any trouble. Fly with respect to others no mater what you fly.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:20 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anybody here even looked at the evidence? The "drone" did not fly over the guys property as evidenced by the recorded telemetry. The "drone" was not spying, it was over 200 feet in the air. The entire flight was recorded by the on board camera. Even the police got this right when they arrested the guy. Why this judge cannot interpret the evidence correctly is anybodies guess. Maybe they hunt together or some other nefarious link. You cannot just go blowing aircraft out of the sky. I have seen the telemetry and video.

I hope that there is an appeal and justice in the end.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
Maybe a DRONE season-kind of like snipe hunting !!!
Sign me up ! I already shoot Trap & Skeet. Why not Drone's
Old 10-30-2015, 08:00 AM
Lamoilleriver

For as long as I can remember, flying over people is frowned upon by the AMA, not sure why folks operating a drone think it's OK? Only us traditional fixed wing model aircraft owners crash?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.