Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Judge dismisses charges for shooting down a drone.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Judge dismisses charges for shooting down a drone.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 11:37 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by on_your_six
Has anybody here even looked at the evidence? The "drone" did not fly over the guys property as evidenced by the recorded telemetry. The "drone" was not spying, it was over 200 feet in the air. The entire flight was recorded by the on board camera. Even the police got this right when they arrested the guy. Why this judge cannot interpret the evidence correctly is anybodies guess. Maybe they hunt together or some other nefarious link. You cannot just go blowing aircraft out of the sky. I have seen the telemetry and video.

I hope that there is an appeal and justice in the end.
Nah...why let facts get in the way. Easier to blame the "media", then glorify shootin r guns! FREEDOM!
Cases get tossed and pleas reached for a number of reasons. Hopefully it's to concentrate on serious crimes.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:45 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Has anybody here even looked at the evidence?
We would all love to see the evidence! Where, how?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:11 PM
radfordc

OK. I found the link to the telemetry video. I still see some problems with this whole thing. Having flown RC for over 50 years, I personally would be very upset with someone flying directly over my house and property. Even the FAA doesn't allow an airplane to fly within 500 feet of people or property. We don't do it with airplanes and you shouldn't do it with a drone.

Having shot at birds for over 60 years I can tell you that #8 birdshot won't kill a small bird at 200 feet and I find it more than difficult to believe it broke a carbon fiber prop at that distance.

Let's agree on a compromise...you don't fly over my house at 200 feet or lower and I won't shoot at your drone.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:46 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look out! Don't forget to shoot down the bing helis while you are drone hunting.......http://binged.it/1LHgpky
Old 10-30-2015, 02:24 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the video show the defendant taking aim and firing..?
Old 10-30-2015, 06:05 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Phoenix there is a law called Megan's law. It makes it unlawful to fire a gun in the air for any kind of celebration. It was passed because a young girl named Megan was killed by a bullet falling out of the air from someone that was needlessly firing in the air.I don know if anyone was prosecuted for it.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Does the video show the defendant taking aim and firing..?

The defendant allegedly has the actual video card and will not release it, nor will show the video. I didn't see the aircraft anywhere near a house or a window.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QQE9ozut57Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-30-2015, 08:03 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The court didn't order the defendant to surrender the actual video...?
That's the only video that matters...right...?
Old 10-31-2015, 04:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

One would think that would have been the first and last bit of evidence to view before making any decision to either arrest, or dismiss charges. It's almost impossible to get enough information from the different media outlets to fully understand what happened. The two people involved would be the best to know, and their stories are almost opposite. There's each persons version, the actual truth, and then what the judge decides. It's usually less than perfect.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Has anybody here even looked at the evidence? The "drone" did not fly over the guys property as evidenced by the recorded telemetry. The "drone" was not spying, it was over 200 feet in the air. The entire flight was recorded by the on board camera. Even the police got this right when they arrested the guy. Why this judge cannot interpret the evidence correctly is anybodies guess. Maybe they hunt together or some other nefarious link. You cannot just go blowing aircraft out of the sky. I have seen the telemetry and video.

I hope that there is an appeal and justice in the end.
There was eyewitness to the contrary. The recording was not the flight where it flew into their back yard.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by dirtybird
In Phoenix there is a law called Megan's law. It makes it unlawful to fire a gun in the air for any kind of celebration. It was passed because a young girl named Megan was killed by a bullet falling out of the air from someone that was needlessly firing in the air.I don know if anyone was prosecuted for it.
I said straight up! Yes you can kill someone by firing a gun in the air, Just not if it is sraight up or nearly so! And certainly not with a shotgun loaded with bird shot! Get it?
Old 10-31-2015, 04:54 PM
s3nfo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Wow. So Newton was wrong. Where do you come up with this stuff?
Well, how does personal experience work for you. I used to go dove hunting just west of El Centro Naval Air Station with what amounts to probably half the dove hunting population of southern California, I've been peppered by bird shot falling from the skies numerous times. Not only does it not have enough inertia left to puncture the skin, it doesn't even hurt.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:00 PM
s3nfo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Really, I can't find it in the Az DOJ website, and Megan's law (national) is all about requiring sex offenders to register after a known sex offender kidnapped, raped and murdered Megan Kanka.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:06 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by s3nfo
Really, I can't find it in the Az DOJ website, and Megan's law (national) is all about requiring sex offenders to register after a known sex offender kidnapped, raped and murdered Megan Kanka.
There you go...letting facts get in the way of a good arguement!