Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 04:47 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
LoL...the AMA didn't "put us in bed with drones".

No they just embrace them and look at them with loving eyes ($ signs)

Mike.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike.
AND WE HAVE A WINNER ! lmao joe
Old 11-09-2015, 04:51 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joebahl
If i remember corectly and go through old threads here you dont even own a AMA card and say you fly off your own land ? If thats so just like the ferret long ago .why do you troll here and in other AMA threads ?
Your memory is incorrect. The irony of your post is probably lost on you, given the fact that you aren't an AMA member, and fly off your own land and are in fact trolling in this thread. Stop already with the trolling, if you don't like my comments you can use the ignore function, or just be an adult and move on by.

Last edited by porcia83; 11-09-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: self editing too tart
Old 11-09-2015, 04:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hairy46
Yes I have seen the stupid things at our field, and I have seen the videos you drone pilots if you can call yourself a pilot are posting, Not to smart! And that's being very kind.
Like the one above, you have assumed incorrectly. Another fail on generalizations. I'm strictly fixed wing thanks, but don't mind any other type of aircraft or flying style if it's done safely.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:55 PM
joebahl

Your memory is as faulty as your social skills. The irony of your post is probably lost on you, given the fact that you aren't an AMA member, and fly off your own land and are in fact trolling in this thread. Stop already with the trolling, if you don't like my comments you can use the ignore function, or just be an adult and move on by.
Do you remember the PMs you sent me or you getting so up in years you forgot ?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike.
Oh if only they would have banned them, the world and the AMA would be so perfect. Then again, I'm sure there would be a 100 other complaints about anything and everything. At least Joe put his money where his mouth was, he voted with his wallet and walked away. Can you do the same? You can still sit in judgement and second guess what goes on though. Or are you doing something more meaningful and running for office? I look forward to hearing your platform and all the suggestions you have for improving everything.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 PM
joebahl

Oh if only they would have banned them, the world and the AMA would be so perfect. Then again, I'm sure there would be a 100 other complaints about anything and everything. At least Joe put his money where his mouth was, he voted with his wallet and walked away. Can you do the same? You can still sit in judgement and second guess what goes on though. Or are you doing something more meaningful and running for office? I look forward to hearing your platform and all the suggestions you have for improving everything.
YEP! after 40 years of AMA competing in pattern and pylom ,president of 2 clubs and flight instructer for 30 years, i no longer belong to the AMA and own my own land to fly on, no drones allowd. lol
Old 11-09-2015, 05:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Do you remember the PMs you sent me or you getting so up in years you forgot ?
Gosh as much I'd like to tell you I remember corresponding with you, I apologize I just don't. I vaguely recall discussions in another thread and chances are we might have disagreed on something or other, nothing major since it didn't stick in my mind. Then again, I lose my car keys, wallet and phone on a daily basis. No doubt this will go down the rabbit hole of taking the thread off course, but I have had an AMA card now for at least 6 or 7 years now, and don't own more than the land my house is on, which is basically a tree filled postage stamp among many. I've certainly flown before I had AMA, and in places other than an AMA field if that's what your getting at. The relevance to the thread though?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

YEP! after 40 years of AMA competing in pattern and pylom ,president of 2 clubs and flight instructer for 30 years, i no longer belong to the AMA and own my own land to fly on, no drones allowd. lol
The only thing missing to make that a complete best of all worlds is saying that your wife and kids (I'm assuming there) are totally into flying too....that would be the trifecta of perfection. You have many folks green with envy in having your own land do with what you will. I've driven around my state and tried to picture what land I will buy and make my own RC field out of after I hit the Powerball (which will happen I'm sure of it). I'm sure there are lots of people out there in the same place, able to do what they want. For me, it would get boring at times if I was the only one. Part of the draw of the first club I joined was to learn how to fly the right way after burning through money and planes. Next was the group of guys, and the club atmosphere. There is something to be said to flying with others. I've never believed that someone has to be part of the AMA or a formal club to enjoy the hobby. In fact I bet there are more non members than there are members. As long as they are safe and enjoying themselves, it's a win.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:23 PM
joebahl

The only thing missing to make that a complete best of all worlds is saying that your wife and kids (I'm assuming there) are totally into flying too....that would be the trifecta of perfection. You have many folks green with envy in having your own land do with what you will. I've driven around my state and tried to picture what land I will buy and make my own RC field out of after I hit the Powerball (which will happen I'm sure of it). I'm sure there are lots of people out there in the same place, able to do what they want. For me, it would get boring at times if I was the only one. Part of the draw of the first club I joined was to learn how to fly the right way after burning through money and planes. Next was the group of guys, and the club atmosphere. There is something to be said to flying with others. I've never believed that someone has to be part of the AMA or a formal club to enjoy the hobby. In fact I bet there are more non members than there are members. As long as they are safe and enjoying themselves, it's a win.
My oldest son is in his late 30s and youngest with my 20 year younger than iam girlfriend and our 13 year old son all fly and grandkids fly and build also. My last one here is becoming a good builder and fyer in his owb rights. good kid and great school student . joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0060.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2129910  
Old 11-09-2015, 05:28 PM
joebahl

Gosh as much I'd like to tell you I remember corresponding with you, I apologize I just don't. I vaguely recall discussions in another thread and chances are we might have disagreed on something or other, nothing major since it didn't stick in my mind. Then again, I lose my car keys, wallet and phone on a daily basis. No doubt this will go down the rabbit hole of taking the thread off course, but I have had an AMA card now for at least 6 or 7 years now, and don't own more than the land my house is on, which is basically a tree filled postage stamp among many. I've certainly flown before I had AMA, and in places other than an AMA field if that's what your getting at. The relevance to the thread though?
I have a great memory when you and your long gone ferrit friend were on this AMA forum ,now i have to look them up on here in older threads and my PMs . joe
Old 11-09-2015, 05:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

I have a great memory when you and your long gone ferrit friend were on this AMA forum ,now i have to look them up on here in older threads and my PMs . joe
Mkay...time well spent I guess? Not sure who the ferrit friend is though. I do recall seeing that pic of the young boy and that plane. I think you might have had a giant scale water plane, Canadian livery perhaps? Either way, you are a lucky man in many respects.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:41 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by bruceal
Rockland County New York passed some drone legislation this year. Because of our clubs good standing, we fly on a closed landfill and do an air show each year, we were able to deal with the politicians directly. Their intent was to curb the types of reckless activity we see on the news. We reminded them of how and where we fly. Now keep in mind we are across from the Hudson River and there is a big marina, a county park and last but not least an active heliport. This was our 7th year and we still exist without problems. I believe one biggest reasons is because we welcome the public not only to our air show, but we always have a trainer ready to offer visitors a chance to fly and to spectate. Our Town sees us as a positive and they really promote the air show. Last August they gave out 1100 hot dogs to the public for free. I honestly think we try our best to show people how great this hobby is.

Now while the legislation didn't hurt the two clubs in Rockland County, as club president I went to each public hearing to hear the public comments and offer an opinion if I could. Before one of meetings, I spoke to a County Legislator, I went on about the AMA Safety Code and how we fly at the club fields. The lawmaker reponded with "what's the AMA?". That's when I realized that we modelers really needed to reach out to the public, be it an air show, school projects or just go to our Town Hall meetings and talk about the club during the public comment portion. This pleases our Town Supervisor because of the big crowd we get each summer at the air show, and the good use of closed landfill.

While we have no problems with people flying quads, we do not allow FPV at the field. In past threads I was beaten up about that rule by some people. None the less, because of our location and what surrounds us we have no regrets. A few months ago we were paid a visit by the FBI. It seems that someone crashed a "drone" at a nuclear power plant that we can see from our flying field. We made it clear that we don't support that facet of "model aviation." We also stressed the fact that while we need a runway for our planes but a "drone" can take off from anywhere.

All I can say is that I think more clubs will lose flying fields due to negative fall out. I think that it's too late for the AMA to reverse it's position, and even if they did it wouldn't matter much. All we can do is just try and show people that we are reponsible and not a danger or risk to public safety. Each field that is lost is a major blow.
Banning Quads Because of a few idiots is the same as banning guns because a few idiots use them in the commision of a crime or illegal activity. If the AMA won't (can't) come to the aid of every club that flies in a populated area then the clubs them selves start a campaign to enlighten the Public, Govt. Officials. Local police and your local alderman/county officials ect. Two of the 5 clubs to which I belong to in WI. are being encroached on by Subdivisions. One because of our former President My self and the clubs Treasure attend every town meeting that concerned the Subdivision / housing area. Long story short on their Homers association form the sigh at the time they buy a lot there is a paragraph that states the PCF club has been there since the early 80' and it's got the blessing of the town board over the Home owners.
No Real Problems YEt. Boards change Homes pay a lot more taxes and Crap just happens.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:44 PM
joebahl

Mkay...time well spent I guess? Not sure who the ferrit friend is though. I do recall seeing that pic of the young boy and that plane. I think you might have had a giant scale water plane, Canadian livery perhaps? Either way, you are a lucky man in many respects.
1940s Short Solent seaplane from Ivans plans 100 inch wing span electric weighs a little over 7 pounds with batterys in her

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2129914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0216.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2129916   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	2129917  
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2015, 05:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

That is absolutely amazing to have a HO association add that information into the contract. They are some of the most notoriously difficult groups of people to deal with sometimes! Just shows what effort can do!

Last edited by porcia83; 11-09-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

1940s Short Solent seaplane from Ivans plans 100 inch wing span electric weighs a little over 7 pounds with batterys in her
Yup...that's the one. I remember drooling over that. Amazing work.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:48 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

But its not being done correctly, that's why these threads keep popping up, duh!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Gary,
Hope you feel better now. I guess that my crime here was caring about saving your field. (Also the several other fields in VA and MD that we use) I have several friends who are members of your club and I feel pretty bad that their airplanes are "homeless" for now. Anyways, your Obama slur directed at me was a cheap shot. I learned about why your field was closed from my friends who fly there and if there is a problem you may want to do some introspection about how you communicate with your members and what they know about the closure.

The basic problem you have is this text from AC91-57A.

It mixes SFRA and the FRZ. Your field is in the ring which is an Air Defense Identification Zone. But it is not in the Flight Restricted Zone.

ADIZ allows for flight operations of UAS under a defined set of circumstances. Whereas the FRZ has a complete ban on UAS flights. So, the bottom line here is that the AC91-57A was poorly written. In fact the SFRA reference makes no sense since UAS flights are allowed in certain parts of the SFRA.

Anyways, I stand by my comments that AMA is a sleep at the wheel on protecting model aviation. We can certainly disagree. But I pay dues to AMA to protect model aviation and I have a right to comment on how my money is being spent. The personal attack is just not understandable.

Ken

Name:	tfr.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	879.0 KB
ID:	2129918   Click image for larger version

Name:	tfr reg.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	2129919   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC91-57A.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	2129920  

Last edited by kdunlap; 11-09-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-09-2015, 06:12 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
I have to be honest ... items 1 - 4 listed above are exactly the way we fly at our club. Except for FPV - we've had a couple of those at our field. But for the most part items 1 - 4 describe flying at our field:

- we rarely have an FPV at our field
- we almost never fly above 400 ft
- we're not within 5 miles of an airport w/tower
- I don't know of anybody who flies at night at our field

The law passed by the City of L.A. doesn't sound so bad, considering it addresses airfields in a crowded city environment. (I'm about to get flamed for saying this!)

The city of LA is not in the model business in any way and should not be passing laws that put restrictions on modelers that neither the AMA or the FAA puts on them. And furthermore I doubt there have been any conflicts that can be traced to the types of flying they are restricting.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:05 PM
HoundDog

That is absolutely amazing to have a HO association add that information into the contract. They are some of the most notoriously difficult groups of people to deal with sometimes! Just shows what effort can do!
There were NO homes in the association when we got the town board to hav it included. Also the Developer pretty much went along with every thing we asked . Then U'ed have to know our Pres. he could sell cow pies to a dairy farm. Turns out the Developer didn't want any one to make any waves. Turns out e was embezzling (Services and equipment) from the company he was COO for. Last I heard he got 20 years in federal prison.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Banning Quads Because of a few idiots is the same as banning guns because a few idiots use them in the commision of a crime or illegal activity. If the AMA won't (can't) come to the aid of every club that flies in a populated area then the clubs them selves start a campaign to enlighten the Public, Govt. Officials. Local police and your local alderman/county officials ect. Two of the 5 clubs to which I belong to in WI. are being encroached on by Subdivisions. One because of our former President My self and the clubs Treasure attend every town meeting that concerned the Subdivision / housing area. Long story short on their Homers association form the sigh at the time they buy a lot there is a paragraph that states the PCF club has been there since the early 80' and it's got the blessing of the town board over the Home owners.
No Real Problems YEt. Boards change Homes pay a lot more taxes and Crap just happens.
Good job! Now there's some forward thinking! It's unfortunate more clubs don't take this type of proactive approach to preserve their flying field.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

It really highlights how important leadership and people skills in running a successful long-term club.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 11-10-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:29 AM
rcmiket

Oh if only they would have banned them, the world and the AMA would be so perfect.

Nobody wants them banned. The AMA putting a bit of distance from them would be nice to protect what we have by reinforcing the fact that's not who we are or what we do.

Then again, I'm sure there would be a 100 other complaints about anything and everything.

Why's that?

At least Joe put his money where his mouth was, he voted with his wallet and walked away. Can you do the same?

I did the 2 year deal to see just how this pans out being a club officer it would not be fair to the club members to just walk. With that said if it goes to far south I'm done. While I disagree with the current direction our organization is taking there is always a chance that it may change.

You can still sit in judgement and second guess what goes on though.

When you get no information as far as just what the plan is or just what the cost will be along with just what the goal is there will be questions along with second guessing.

Or are you doing something more meaningful and running for office? I look forward to hearing your platform and all the suggestions you have for improving everything.

Distancing our organization for all the "problem children" and defining that is not what we do. Instead we cast the net thinking they would flock to us is getting us in deeper. We do not have the resources needed to win this.
I understand you feel I'm just a anti AMA / Drone guy but that is not the case. Our hobby has given me 35+ years of learning, having fun and camaraderie that I cherish and don't want to see it regulated to death. My concerns are the same concerns many have that I've interacted with. You've read the threads and still still feel that we are a minority. You think I should run for office and change things well the "good old boy" club will never let that happen. If they are wrong (and they just may be) a "house cleaning" just may be in order . I just hope there's something left.

Every-time I go out to our fields I thank God that were far enough off the beaten path that regardless of the outcome we'll be OK. My heart goes out to those who are losing fields to those fields close enough to be a blip on the radar they are the ones who will really suffer.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-10-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:38 AM
bruceal

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Like I said, we allow quads, just NO FPV. As a matter of fact, if someone comes to our club with an interest in FPV we send them to another area club that allows it. Being proactive about the limits of our surroundings just might have kept our club from being shut down. Do I have a problem with "drones"? I suppose that I do when it puts our hobby as a whole at risk.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:01 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by bruceal
Like I said, we allow quads, just NO FPV. As a matter of fact, if someone comes to our club with an interest in FPV we send them to another area club that allows it. Being proactive about the limits of our surroundings just might have kept our club from being shut down. Do I have a problem with "drones"? I suppose that I do when it puts our hobby as a whole at risk.
No FPV or No anything s a dession a club has the right to do but FPV when done properly i.e. within LOS and with a spotter is OK for some fields, I understand too that it's Not OK for some areas, That being said FPV at a Flying Field gets BORING real quick, looking at the same corn and beans, flight after flight. That's when a normal Safety code/FAR/Rules obeying guy get tempted to take his FPV Equipped Quad off field just a little. All is OK until something happens and there is an incident or accident. If a Quad or FPV equipped plane falls out of the sky into a bean or corn field no harm no foul, You might even find it before the combine does. If you have any idea where it went down. or enough friends to properly search 80 acres of crops 5 feet over your head. Just saying there is a time and a place for everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.