Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:26 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sound to me The AMA needs to find some way to brod cast there involment and safey concerns to local Government. Its amanzing how many non flyer have never heard of the AMA and whay it dose for us and them
Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruceal
Like I said, we allow quads, just NO FPV. As a matter of fact, if someone comes to our club with an interest in FPV we send them to another area club that allows it. Being proactive about the limits of our surroundings just might have kept our club from being shut down. Do I have a problem with "drones"? I suppose that I do when it puts our hobby as a whole at risk.
Again, you're doing everything 100% correct! It's great that you direct those folks to a club that has the ability to allow FPV, and not just shut the door in the face of someone who wants to get into the hobby. Protecting your field and maintaining good relations with your town/city is critical. It sounds like you were doing the heavy lifting here, any involvement with local AMA AVP or VP if they are in your area?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
It sound to me The AMA needs to find some way to brod cast there involment and safey concerns to local Government. Its amanzing how many non flyer have never heard of the AMA and whay it dose for us and them
They have gone to considerable and reasonable lengths to get the message out, see Know Before You Fly as the most wide reaching example of that. Partnering with the FAA, and now being part of the advisory committee is another step they took. They can't be everywhere at all times, nor everything to everyone. I think local issues that crop up need to be brought to their attention though, through us as members. See the example above from the president of the NY club. Local towns/cities will usually follow federal laws/regs, although some can certainly be more stringent for a number of reasons. It's tought to fight city hall, but not impossible.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Oh if only they would have banned them, the world and the AMA would be so perfect.

Nobody wants them banned. The AMA putting a bit of distance from them would be nice to protect what we have by reinforcing the fact that's not who we are or what we do.

Then again, I'm sure there would be a 100 other complaints about anything and everything.

Why's that?

At least Joe put his money where his mouth was, he voted with his wallet and walked away. Can you do the same?

I did the 2 year deal to see just how this pans out being a club officer it would not be fair to the club members to just walk. With that said if it goes to far south I'm done. While I disagree with the current direction our organization is taking there is always a chance that it may change.

You can still sit in judgement and second guess what goes on though.

When you get no information as far as just what the plan is or just what the cost will be along with just what the goal is there will be questions along with second guessing.

Or are you doing something more meaningful and running for office? I look forward to hearing your platform and all the suggestions you have for improving everything.

Distancing our organization for all the "problem children" and defining that is not what we do. Instead we cast the net thinking they would flock to us is getting us in deeper. We do not have the resources needed to win this.

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I understand you feel I'm just a anti AMA / Drone guy but that is not the case. Our hobby has given me 35+ years of learning, having fun and camaraderie that I cherish and don't want to see it regulated to death. My concerns are the same concerns many have that I've interacted with. You've read the threads and still still feel that we are a minority. You think I should run for office and change things well the "good old boy" club will never let that happen. If they are wrong (and they just may be) a "house cleaning" just may be in order . I just hope there's something left.

Every-time I go out to our fields I thank God that were far enough off the beaten path that regardless of the outcome we'll be OK. My heart goes out to those who are losing fields to those fields close enough to be a blip on the radar they are the ones who will really suffer.
Mike
Hey I like those responses in black. Do it in red next time, then put AIR as your response.

I don't believe I've ever said you were anti drone, you might have me confused with someone else. As for the AMA, I think your posts with regards to them show a pretty healthy disdain for them. I don't recall you ever saying anything positive about them in any thread. Not saying you have to, or should, or have to agree with everything they do, but to say that you are not "anti" AMA when reading your comments about them seems contradictory.

I agree I don't want to see the hobby regulated to death, I don't think anyone does. Where we disagree the most (at least I think) is this regulation and scrutiny was coming regardless of the AMA's acceptance of MR, quads etc. The AMA had to do something to be part of the process. I draw the conclusion that you might be in a minority based on comments here, this being a pretty small segment of total hobbyists. I also base that on total responses to the FAA over the past few years. I accept I may be wrong on that assumption.

And I'm sorry, but pointing to a "good 'ol boy" network is a total and complete cop out. is your AMA VP part of this alleged good 'ol boy network? Nothing is stopping you from getting more involved at the local level, becoming an AVP, and then a VP. I'm not saying that's the only way to affect change, but those positions are elected, not appointed and granted forever.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:12 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing is stopping you from getting more involved at the local level, becoming an AVP, and then a VP. I'm not saying that's the only way to affect change, but those positions are elected, not appointed and granted forever.
Honestly I've got a lot on my plate for a "semi-retired" guy. Serving as a Club Officer/Board Member and Newsletter Editor is enough but toss in on the Board for a STEM Program at the H.S. We run several events a year geared toward education and exposing peopel to the hobby along with a Charity event here and there.Then I spend 4 days a week at the LHS working with modelers on their problems along with trying to educate the new "drone" crowd is all rather time consuming. So as far as the local level my time is taken.
Now lets talk about running for VP or AVP I'd have to become a leader member I sure I could but I feel I don't have the time to dedicate right now or just how my efforts would be received by the powers to be.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Dear AMA,
How many more AMA sanctioned fields will have to be closed before you end this silly quest to protect drone flyers at all costs? Just lost NVRC because the local government can't distinguish between a drone and a model RC plane flown at an AMA field. There is a difference between these two hobbies and you need to start spending time and money differentiating between the two. Tell me, how does participating in the FAA Drone Registration ARC all last week get anywhere near us being to be able to protect the fields we fly at? It doesn't and you know it. If AMA can't even protect their own fields what's the point of membership? You're being out witted in Washington and it shows! Just look at the closed signs on the field. Yikes!! and I am not even a member of the club, but I have friends who are.... GOOD GRIEF!
Ken Dunlap
AMA is being outwitted in Washington
Wow ! Last I heard, Washington was full of " Half-Wits " . Hmmm....... now what does that make the AMA
Old 11-10-2015, 11:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Honestly I've got a lot on my plate for a "semi-retired" guy. Serving as a Club Officer/Board Member and Newsletter Editor is enough but toss in on the Board for a STEM Program at the H.S. We run several events a year geared toward education and exposing peopel to the hobby along with a Charity event here and there.Then I spend 4 days a week at the LHS working with modelers on their problems along with trying to educate the new "drone" crowd is all rather time consuming. So as far as the local level my time is taken.
Now lets talk about running for VP or AVP I'd have to become a leader member I sure I could but I feel I don't have the time to dedicate right now or just how my efforts would be received by the powers to be.

Mike
Your time is still well spent educating new drone pilots or anyone who looks for direction at the hobby shop, the same for those at your field who are current members, and those looking to join as noobs to the hobby. I submit we (that being AMA members in general, perhaps more so for board members of clubs) ultimately do more good for the hobby overall than any select few EC members, mainly because we have strength in numbers. A great example of that was the guy from NY who got personally involved in town politics and was able to work with them.
Your time is still well spent educating new "d
Old 11-10-2015, 11:53 AM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

There is a pretty simple solution to this for the AMA... publicly define what "drone" is vs. a model aircraft, and ban/distance the AMA and its members from everything that is considered a "drone". The FAA/DHS definition of a "drone" is an aircraft that is flown with a control system that is not manual and/or line of sight. Any aircraft using a video system and/or GPS system is considered a "drone". It's really that simple. If you do not use either of these, you are flying a model aircraft.

Banning video and GPS guidance is a simple solution for the AMA. A new organization, with it's own insurance carrier should be created for those that want to fly "drones".
Old 11-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by JimDrew
There is a pretty simple solution to this for the AMA... publicly define what "drone" is vs. a model aircraft, and ban/distance the AMA and its members from everything that is considered a "drone". The FAA/DHS definition of a "drone" is an aircraft that is flown with a control system that is not manual and/or line of sight. Any aircraft using a video system and/or GPS system is considered a "drone". It's really that simple. If you do not use either of these, you are flying a model aircraft.

Banning video and GPS guidance is a simple solution for the AMA. A new organization, with it's own insurance carrier should be created for those that want to fly "drones".
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentID/1028086
Old 11-10-2015, 12:19 PM
JimDrew

That link is an AC from September. Section 6(3) has a key element of the recommendation: "flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft". Using a FPV system permits the possibility of this not being the case. Much like using a GPS system (for way points) also permits the possibility of positioning the aircraft so that it is deliberately no longer "within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft". The DHS (who has jurisdiction over the FAA) is the entity most interested in seeing "drone" usage limited.

So, either we can all be pro-active, or let the feds lump model airplanes into a group that they should not belong in...
Old 11-10-2015, 01:45 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I agree, The AMA needs to do more to get the word out about RC flying in general and let the general public know That RC operations has being going on in this country for many years with very few problems and without being limited to 400' either.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:51 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

That link is an AC from September. Section 6(3) has a key element of the recommendation: "flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft". Using a FPV system permits the possibility of this not being the case. Much like using a GPS system (for way points) also permits the possibility of positioning the aircraft so that it is deliberately no longer "within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft". The DHS (who has jurisdiction over the FAA) is the entity most interested in seeing "drone" usage limited.

So, either we can all be pro-active, or let the feds lump model airplanes into a group that they should not belong in...
Piffle Rot Banning some thing because it COULD be used incorrectly is Ludicrous. With your reasoning U should ban cars because some Idiot will speed drive drunk or run a red light. It's the same thing as Banning Guns because some Idiot might use a gun in a manner that it is not intended or is against the law. It's time the DOT/FAA/AMA put the BLAME where it belongs ...ON the OFFENDER not on every one that flys R/C TOYS.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:51 PM
franklin_m

I'd really like to know how many AMA sanctioned flying sites exist today as compared to 1, 2, 3, and say 5 years ago?
Old 11-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Also note AC 91-57A does not contain the word "drone" in it anywhere.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:19 PM
JimDrew

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Piffle Rot Banning some thing because it COULD be used incorrectly is Ludicrous. With your reasoning U should ban cars because some Idiot will speed drive drunk or run a red light. It's the same thing as Banning Guns because some Idiot might use a gun in a manner that it is not intended or is against the law. It's time the DOT/FAA/AMA put the BLAME where it belongs ...ON the OFFENDER not on every one that flys R/C TOYS.
People who race cars are required to do so on race tracks with training and licenses. To purchase a hand gun you are suppose to go through a background check. To fly an RC model, there are really no restrictions. There needs to be some type of control in place to protect people and help limit the number of offenders. The FAA/DHS wants to limit the weight and require registration because they have issues with FPV/GPS flown "drones". Unfortunately, those types of aircraft are being lumped in with what we all consider "model airplanes". The smartest thing to do is to have two different entities... the AMA for people flying model aircraft that are not using FPV/GPS, and another entity that allows that type of activity... then that bunch can have various rules a regulations imposed upon them. In the eyes of the public, we need to be a bunch of old men playing with toy airplanes... not the users of "drones" that can be flown miles away without needing anything more than a laptop.

The DHS has determined that our models are now "drones" because of their capabilities, and they are right. That's why we need to split the group.

Last edited by JimDrew; 11-10-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:11 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to point out that the cap is still on the CA bottle in the picture... You might need to teach him how to glue again.... lol... good looking kid, just bustin you.

Originally Posted by joebahl
My oldest son is in his late 30s and youngest with my 20 year younger than iam girlfriend and our 13 year old son all fly and grandkids fly and build also. My last one here is becoming a good builder and flier in his own rights. good kid and great school student . joe
Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'd really like to know how many AMA sanctioned flying sites exist today as compared to 1, 2, 3, and say 5 years ago?
Although the numbers are important, I'd be more interested in understanding what happened to the ones that no longer exists.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hundreds less, probably thousands. AMA's fault too no doubt. Why not ask the AMA though?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ira d
I agree, The AMA needs to do more to get the word out about RC flying in general and let the general public know That RC operations has being going on in this country for many years with very few problems and without being limited to 400' either.
While educating is a great thing, how exactly would that work different than how it is now. Know before you fly, participation in national programs, articles in the paper (USA Today), interviews in the media, testimony before congress etc etc etc. Should they take out some kind of ad in People magazine? Perhaps ads on TV? What would those ads say? It's not the public outcry about a drone or two that's driving this issue, it's big business, and the military. We cannot compete with either of those two groups. I can only imagine the outcry from some members, a minority I might add, if additional monies were spent on a retail style ad campaign. Talk about expensive. Cha Ching
Old 11-10-2015, 05:10 PM
bruceal

Originally Posted by HoundDog
No FPV or No anything s a dession a club has the right to do but FPV when done properly i.e. within LOS and with a spotter is OK for some fields, I understand too that it's Not OK for some areas, That being said FPV at a Flying Field gets BORING real quick, looking at the same corn and beans, flight after flight. That's when a normal Safety code/FAR/Rules obeying guy get tempted to take his FPV Equipped Quad off field just a little. All is OK until something happens and there is an incident or accident. If a Quad or FPV equipped plane falls out of the sky into a bean or corn field no harm no foul, You might even find it before the combine does. If you have any idea where it went down. or enough friends to properly search 80 acres of crops 5 feet over your head. Just saying there is a time and a place for everything.
This is the point I have been trying to make, not all field locations can support all types of model aviation. As you can see from some of the pictures on our website http://www.hvrcc.com/ we fly over goose crap and swamp. We asked our few FPV people if they would honestly want to be confined to LOS when just across the street is some amazing scenery. Our major concern is full scale heli traffic. We can't afford to have someone out where they don't belong, we don't get a second chance. That is reality. I think that we are going to see some challenges going forward. The genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back in.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM
bruceal

Again, you're doing everything 100% correct! It's great that you direct those folks to a club that has the ability to allow FPV, and not just shut the door in the face of someone who wants to get into the hobby. Protecting your field and maintaining good relations with your town/city is critical. It sounds like you were doing the heavy lifting here, any involvement with local AMA AVP or VP if they are in your area?
Our District II AVP came with us to meet with the county sheriff and legislator. Together we were able to soften some of the legislation. And again, because of our good standing in the community they didn't want to affect the clubs. As a matter of fact, each public hearing worked to promote our club and air show. This is why I can't stress how important it is to be involved in the community. The politicians also need to see that there are those that do obey the laws. This works to prevent total over-reach. I think that the AMA has demonstrated this for the past 80 years.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by bruceal
Our District II AVP came with us to meet with the county sheriff and legislator. Together we were able to soften some of the legislation. And again, because of our good standing in the community they didn't want to affect the clubs. As a matter of fact, each public hearing worked to promote our club and air show. This is why I can't stress how important it is to be involved in the community. The politicians also need to see that there are those that do obey the laws. This works to prevent total over-reach. I think that the AMA has demonstrated this for the past 80 years.
Great job, you have set a fantastic example for other clubs.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:49 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no such thing as an "AMA sanctioned flying site", only AMA sanctioned clubs.

Astro
Old 11-10-2015, 06:02 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While educating is a great thing, how exactly would that work different than how it is now. Know before you fly, participation in national programs, articles in the paper (USA Today), interviews in the media, testimony before congress etc etc etc. Should they take out some kind of ad in People magazine? Perhaps ads on TV? What would those ads say? It's not the public outcry about a drone or two that's driving this issue, it's big business, and the military. We cannot compete with either of those two groups. I can only imagine the outcry from some members, a minority I might add, if additional monies were spent on a retail style ad campaign. Talk about expensive. Cha Ching
I see a lot of news reports about drones but I wonder if the AMA appeals to the news media to here their side of the story, Also when they hear that a local ordinance is the works that would restrict RC operations do they reach out with info that would set the record straight.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:02 PM
electric fly
My Feedback: (97)

Originally Posted by ira d
Ditto!
RC flying has been going on since the 1930's!
400 ft. Max. Alt. Is a joke, go to a jet or glider meet.
Yet people are getting shot left and right on the news, and noting is being done about that!
but the gov. Has it's nose all over model planes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.