Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:18 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
The impact is bigger than one would think. The average age of an Open AMA member is a person in their late 50's. A large segment of members are turning 65 each year. We live longer today than ever before. The Senior conversion rate has been a financial factor for several years.
Not at the clubs I frequent. We're contemplating walkers and AED's, no joke. Walkers are cheap, but those AED's are pricey.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm thinking this is a breakthrough....we're having a moment! Bacon made it happen.
Everybody loves Bacon!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Everybody loves Bacon!
I love BLT's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yum...it's lunchtime too!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	2130241  
Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I'll drink to that!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:46 AM
FLAPHappy

I'll drink to that!

Now that what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
The impact is bigger than one would think. The average age of an Open AMA member is a person in their late 50's. A large segment of members are turning 65 each year. We live longer today than ever before. The Senior conversion rate has been a financial factor for several years
Seniors Living longer is a bonus. If we all died today the AMA would collapse. On the other more kids would get involved because there wouldn't have to put up with all those OLD *****'n Coggers to put up with all the time. But then they don't pay anyway so It's the Seniors that Rule. Without Seniors/us there would be NOTHING. Nothing but Quads I fear.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

Beer...Beef...Bacon. A trifecta of goodness
Old 11-12-2015, 01:00 PM
FLAPHappy

You're right. That's how I have lived so long..
Old 11-12-2015, 01:29 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Um, if I might...

Beer ... Beef ... Bacon ... and Brandy!
Old 11-12-2015, 02:53 PM
DaveHickey

Ken;

You moan because the AMA is costing "respectable" flyers fields by defending those dirty "Drones." People that are not in the hobby don't know the difference between "model airplanes" and "drones", and don't care. To them they are all the same and all dangerous. When they are government officials or legislators they not only don't know, they don't care. They just want people to see them "doing something" about the nasty drone menace.
The AMA understands that drone flyers are just the target of the moment. If they let the FAA pick off the drones now, the next target will be those supersonic turbines, after that those dangerous flying giants (do you know they carry gasoline just like a Molotov cocktail! Why they are more explosive than dynamite...). Of course then we have to eliminate those dangerous electric airplanes, you know those LiPo batteries start fires that crash airliners and kill people! By the way, did you know those glow airplanes burn NITROMETHANE! terrorists make fertilizer bombe with that stuff!
And on and on it goes, right now drones are the Assault Rifles of the modeling community, An easy target to start with but just the nose of the camel. AMA's job is to protect us ALL from the knee jerk actions of ignorant fools in government and the press. OUR job is to protect ourselves from the "Watch this" actions of ignorant fools in the local modeling community and to make a good impression to the public and our local officials. Just about every field that is lost, is lost because the local flyers were asleep at the switch. Only the local club can protect it's field, not somebody in Washington (or Muncie.)

D.H.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Um, if I might...

Beer ... Beef ... Bacon ... and Brandy!
I stand corrected....I love her too!
Old 11-12-2015, 03:20 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by DaveHickey
Ken;

Just about every field that is lost, is lost because the local flyers were asleep at the switch. Only the local club can protect it's field, not somebody in Washington (or Muncie.)

D.H.
Tell that to these guys.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2529128

Mike
Old 11-12-2015, 03:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Not a great example...sort of what DaveHickey was getting at. It wasn't the big bad Feds or the AMA that really played the big role in this...it was local politics and horse lovers.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Zoli

Originally Posted by bruceal
Rockland County New York passed some drone legislation this year. Because of our clubs good standing, we fly on a closed landfill and do an air show each year, we were able to deal with the politicians directly. Their intent was to curb the types of reckless activity we see on the news. We reminded them of how and where we fly. Now keep in mind we are across from the Hudson River and there is a big marina, a county park and last but not least an active heliport. This was our 7th year and we still exist without problems. I believe one biggest reasons is because we welcome the public not only to our air show, but we always have a trainer ready to offer visitors a chance to fly and to spectate. Our Town sees us as a positive and they really promote the air show. Last August they gave out 1100 hot dogs to the public for free. I honestly think we try our best to show people how great this hobby is.

Now while the legislation didn't hurt the two clubs in Rockland County, as club president I went to each public hearing to hear the public comments and offer an opinion if I could. Before one of meetings, I spoke to a County Legislator, I went on about the AMA Safety Code and how we fly at the club fields. The lawmaker reponded with "what's the AMA?". That's when I realized that we modelers really needed to reach out to the public, be it an air show, school projects or just go to our Town Hall meetings and talk about the club during the public comment portion. This pleases our Town Supervisor because of the big crowd we get each summer at the air show, and the good use of closed landfill.

While we have no problems with people flying quads, we do not allow FPV at the field. In past threads I was beaten up about that rule by some people. None the less, because of our location and what surrounds us we have no regrets. A few months ago we were paid a visit by the FBI. It seems that someone crashed a "drone" at a nuclear power plant that we can see from our flying field. We made it clear that we don't support that facet of "model aviation." We also stressed the fact that while we need a runway for our planes but a "drone" can take off from anywhere.

All I can say is that I think more clubs will lose flying fields due to negative fall out. I think that it's too late for the AMA to reverse it's position, and even if they did it wouldn't matter much. All we can do is just try and show people that we are responsible and not a danger or risk to public safety. Each field that is lost is a major blow.
As the Director of Public Relations of a very large Club with substantial assets, and which resides on municipal land, I can tell you that our livelihood and future (as a Club) are not impacted by AMA. In other words, AMA's support or defense of "drones" has no impact on our situation. Everything is within our control and as previously stated... direct, specific, and actionable interaction with our communities and local politicians is the only way we will continue to exist. We have a future because of our tremendously positive relationship with the community (at large) and the City administration.

We do allow heli's, quad's and FVP at our club site (within the rules of course). We have no restrictions nor do we want to impose any. However, I also agree that the drone operation is affecting the public opinion of RC flying. Therefore, from the standpoint of public relations, we are doing everything we can to distance ourselves from "drone" activity. Our Club’s reputation and image (like most RC clubs across the country) are based largely on our fixed-wing endeavors. That is the image which best describes our Club and which gives our community the ability to support us as modelers and hobbyists.

I think the "ship has sailed" on the opportunity to educate the public about the safe use of drones at our club field. Our best plan is to continue to emphasize our attributes to community, and continue to perpetuate our image as a model airplane club. In the mean time, we will fight to preserve our ability to enjoy all aspects our hobby, but if push comes to shove, I'm sure we'll do what is necessary to survive. And no matter what, I won't be holding my breath for AMA to come to the rescue!

Z
Old 11-12-2015, 04:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Zoli
As the Director of Public Relations of a very large Club with substantial assets, and which resides on municipal land, I can tell you that our livelihood and future (as a Club) are not impacted by AMA. In other words, AMA's support or defense of "drones" has no impact on our situation. Everything is within our control and as previously stated... direct, specific, and actionable interaction with our communities and local politicians is the only way we will continue to exist. We have a future because of our tremendously positive relationship with the community (at large) and the City administration.

We do allow heli's, quad's and FVP at our club site (within the rules of course). We have no restrictions nor do we want to impose any. However, I also agree that the drone operation is affecting the public opinion of RC flying. Therefore, from the standpoint of public relations, we are doing everything we can to distance ourselves from "drone" activity. Our Club’s reputation and image (like most RC clubs across the country) are based largely on our fixed-wing endeavors. That is the image which best describes our Club and which gives our community the ability to support us as modelers and hobbyists.

I think the "ship has sailed" on the opportunity to educate the public about the safe use of drones at our club field. Our best plan is to continue to emphasize our attributes to community, and continue to perpetuate our image as a model airplane club. In the mean time, we will fight to preserve our ability to enjoy all aspects our hobby, but if push comes to shove, I'm sure we'll do what is necessary to survive. And no matter what, I won't be holding my breath for AMA to come to the rescue!

Z
What a great outlook...I can't agree more, the leadership and membership of the club are the ones who cultivate, strengthen, and nurture the relationship with their communities, not the AMA (at least not usually). I wouldn't sell the AMA completely short in possibly helping out if things went sour. They have resources that can help, fact dependent, but even then it's not guarantee.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, hopefully other club officers read this and can have a takeaway or two. I like the idea of a Public Relations director for a club...many times I think that falls on Presidents of clubs, and that isn't always the best role for them.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Zoli

Every club needs a PR director, preferably one that resides on the Board and can stick around a while. I've been in the job since 2009 and that is almost all I do, which avoids burnout. I've been through 3 Presidents and numerous Boards, but I've been able to maintain a consistent message and direction for community and public relations.

Z
Old 11-12-2015, 05:09 PM
rcmiket

Not a great example...sort of what DaveHickey was getting at. It wasn't the big bad Feds or the AMA that really played the big role in this...it was local politics and horse lovers.
Are you involved with this club and have all the particulars about just why they lost use of the field?

Mike
Old 11-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Every club needs a PR director, preferably one that resides on the Board and can stick around a while. I've been in the job since 2009 and that is almost all I do, which avoids burnout. I've been through 3 Presidents and numerous Boards, but I've been able to maintain a consistent message and direction for community and public relations.

Z
Good job! The hobby desperately needs more energetic and enthusiastic people like yourself.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Are you involved with this club and have all the particulars about just why they lost use of the field?

Mike
I know folks all over the eastern areas....RC is a small world.

That issue aside, try reading the whole article and digesting all the data, including the background info rather than dropping a link in. It's amazing how much more context and perspective can be shed on the issue.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

Good job! The hobby desperately needs more energetic and enthusiastic people like yourself.
Right? Can do people who actually DO...rather than just rant.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:54 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

DH
You've made an interesting argument and if that were the strategy, I would probably be happy. But here's the problem, there is no strategy. Why do I say that? News out of this drone registration task force is that drones over 9 oz / 250 g will need to be registered. http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-task...say-1446788167 see the link. If that's the case, where in any AMA produced document, strategy, etc do we see an AMA position on the lightest weight that a drone should be before it is regulated? Answer: there is none. When has the AMA ever gone out to the membership and talked about weights? Answer: Never. The bottom line to me is that if AMA hires lobbyists in Washington, has a lobbyist on staff, and participates in federal work groups, then I as a paying member have the right to criticize the public policy they are pursuing on our behalf. After hundreds of thousands of membership dues spent, I'd like to know how much is spent on drones and how much is spent on modeling. That should be a fair question. Don't you think? Anyways. I did appreciate your comments.
Ken

Last edited by kdunlap; 11-12-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:01 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

DH,
One last thing. YES, I am moaning because a field has been lost. Of all the fields I have been to, NVRC is one remote piece of real estate. You just don't turn off 66 and suddenly there it is. If remote places are targeted what's next? I don't see how anyone even knows about this place unless they are looking for it. Also, there are two other field around here built on landfills... er garbage dumps. Why on earth would any one care what flies over garbage piles? Well they do for some strange reason. For 50+ years model aviation has been been part of communities with virtually no problems. Why not separate this part of the hobby from the drone part which is causing turmoil in our communities. Drone does not equal model aircraft. Period.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:06 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by DaveHickey
Ken;

You moan because the AMA is costing "respectable" flyers fields by defending those dirty "Drones." People that are not in the hobby don't know the difference between "model airplanes" and "drones", and don't care. To them they are all the same and all dangerous. When they are government officials or legislators they not only don't know, they don't care. They just want people to see them "doing something" about the nasty drone menace.
The AMA understands that drone flyers are just the target of the moment. If they let the FAA pick off the drones now, the next target will be those supersonic turbines, after that those dangerous flying giants (do you know they carry gasoline just like a Molotov cocktail! Why they are more explosive than dynamite...). Of course then we have to eliminate those dangerous electric airplanes, you know those LiPo batteries start fires that crash airliners and kill people! By the way, did you know those glow airplanes burn NITROMETHANE! terrorists make fertilizer bombe with that stuff!
And on and on it goes, right now drones are the Assault Rifles of the modeling community, An easy target to start with but just the nose of the camel. AMA's job is to protect us ALL from the knee jerk actions of ignorant fools in government and the press. OUR job is to protect ourselves from the "Watch this" actions of ignorant fools in the local modeling community and to make a good impression to the public and our local officials. Just about every field that is lost, is lost because the local flyers were asleep at the switch. Only the local club can protect it's field, not somebody in Washington (or Muncie.)

D.H.
Couldn't have said it better my self...
Except U missed one category
The AMA member that thinks every thing they "DON'T DO" should be banned.
Things Like Pattern, Giant Scale, Jets, Helies, not to mention the great mennas to the hobby ARF's Fomies and those terrible FPV DRONES that have caused all the trouble With the FAA.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We do allow heli's, quad's and FVP at our club site (within the rules of course). We have no restrictions nor do we want to impose any. However, I also agree that the drone operation is affecting the public opinion of RC flying. Therefore, from the standpoint of public relations, we are doing everything we can to distance ourselves from "drone" activity.
Our Club’s reputation and image (like most RC clubs across the country) are based largely on our fixed-wing endeavors. That is the image which best describes our Club and which gives our community the ability to support us as modelers and hobbyists.

Z

What a great outlook...I can't agree more, the leadership and membership of the club are the ones who cultivate, strengthen, and nurture the relationship with their communities, not the AMA (at least not usually). I wouldn't sell the AMA completely short in possibly helping out if things went sour. They have resources that can help, fact dependent, but even then it's not guarantee.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, hopefully other club officers read this and can have a takeaway or two. I like the idea of a Public Relations director for a club...many times I think that falls on Presidents of clubs, and that isn't always the best role for them.
You like WAFFLES, too?

I'm not exactly clear on what you are agreeing with.

- the need to distance ourselves from drones?
- that AMA has no impact at a local club level?
- that AMA won't come to the rescue?

If the AMA has no impact on us at a local level, and we should not hold our breath for them to advocate for us at a local level, what is it they are supposed to do?

BTW, (maybe it is just the brandy talking, BUT) I completely agree that it is IMPERATIVE that the local clubs be professional and active participants in their respective local communities.

Regards,

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.