Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the Brandy, it's just your inability to try to have a meaningful discussion or understand another perspective without going on the attack, constantly poised and looking for a good zinger, or reason to disagree. You don't appear to be searching for understanding, you're searching for more argument (as will be evidenced by your response). The accusations of twisting to spinning to now waffling...the tactics are old and tired, I fed the vortex to often. You will never be clear on anything I write...that much is clear. Agree or disagree, rant about twisting and spinning some more...whatevs.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 11-12-2015, 07:41 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's not the Brandy, it's just your inability to try to have a meaningful discussion or understand another perspective without going on the attack, constantly poised and looking for a good zinger, or reason to disagree. You don't appear to be searching for understanding, you're searching for more argument (as will be evidenced by your response). The accusations of twisting to spinning to now waffling...the tactics are old and tired, I fed the vortex to often. You will never be clear on anything I write...that much is clear. Agree or disagree, rant about twisting and spinning some more...whatevs.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wow! All of this because I asked for clarification?

I didn't ZING anyone, I simply pointed out what could be construed as blatant contradictions on your part and it apparently struck a nerve........

Astro
Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

(as will be evidenced by your response). I rest my case. G'night!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know folks all over the eastern areas....RC is a small world.

That issue aside, try reading the whole article and digesting all the data, including the background info rather than dropping a link in. It's amazing how much more context and perspective can be shed on the issue.
The bottom line the club lost use of the field. I saw nothing but speculation on it was the "horse people" that did them in. Just a few months back in MA's Flying Site Assistance column about several clubs having issues renewing leases.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-13-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:45 AM
astrohog

(as will be evidenced by your response). I rest my case. G'night!
I would honestly like to know what parts of the post you were in agreement with, otherwise it is not clear what your stance is. Kinda hard to have a meaningful discussion if we cannot convey our thoughts clearly.

Is that too much to ask? Woulda been easier to clarify your words than to take the offensive and accuse me of ZINGING! LOL

By the way, I am unclear on what a ZING is. Can you point out the point in my post that was a ZING? Was it the word, "waffle"? REALLY?

Astro
Old 11-14-2015, 05:46 AM
astrohog

Hmmm..The silence is DEAFENING!

I guess he didn't want to have a meaningful conversation after all! LOL

Astro
Old 11-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

There will always be those whose only goal in life is to cause disruption and spread FUD. Guaranteed to have ~10% in any club.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:27 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
There will always be those whose only goal in life is to cause disruption and spread FUD. Guaranteed to have ~10% in any club.
Another positive and useful post from half of the dynamic duo!
Just wish I were half as good as you!

Astro
Old 11-14-2015, 10:43 AM
fliers1

Does anyone have any suggestions on what AMA could possibly do to significantly address the problem?
Old 11-14-2015, 01:27 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by fliers1
Does anyone have any suggestions on what AMA could possibly do to significantly address the problem?
There have been many discussions about that here and the other threads. I still feel going all in with the drone crowd was a mistake.

Mike
Old 11-14-2015, 01:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There are only so many hours in the day, especially when there is urgent business to tend to.
You have to first clearly identify the problem.
The AMA failed to do this, they did the opposite.
There isn't any use talking about what the next course of action should have been, but if they did have the foresight to draw a clear distinction between HOW WE FLY versus how drones fly, they wouldn't be wasting so much time and energy like they are right now in damage control mode.
They would obviously have freed up extra resources to tend to the day to day needs of the organization, including reaching out to the communities that are Hell bent to ban RC.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

What makes you think the AMA isn't already addressing the issue? The AMA tiny compared to something like the NRA (180k members vs. 4.2M members) so the don't have the financial resources (lobbying power) the NRA does.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Right again...and they are the first to wonder why others don't want to interact with them too. Completely lacking self awareness.

Agree with Combat above, only in so far as not wasting time being concerned with what might have been, but what we are to deal with going forward. The rest of it is the usual anti-AMA message. They are most certainly taking care of day to day operations, the wheels certainly haven't come off the bus because they are involved in advocating for members and the hobbies. Thankfully they can do more than one thing at once. the next couple of weeks should be interesting!
Old 11-14-2015, 03:32 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

What makes you think the AMA isn't already addressing the issue? The AMA tiny compared to something like the NRA (180k members vs. 4.2M members) so the don't have the financial resources (lobbying power) the NRA does.
If we armed our drones (Quads( would that be considered Open Darry ... The we all Join the NEA then it would be 4.2 million + 180k Minus those AMA members that already belong to both the AMA & NRA.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Invincible!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 PM
astrohog

Right again...and they are the first to wonder why others don't want to interact with them too. Completely lacking self awareness.
Hmm..Would that be considered a ZING? LOL

You are such a freaking hypocrite!

Oh, and by making comments like the one above you ARE interacting with me. Not the kind if interaction that I asked you for (simple clarification of your statement), but the very kind that you accuse and bash others for!

There is no place for your type on these forums, it is no wonder you have been banned from so many of the other ones!

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-14-2015, 07:00 PM
porcia83
Banned

Ha..lol...Yes, by all means, you get to be judge and jury for who belongs on these forums. You can't even get your taunts right. There...you got some more attention. All better now?

If you don't like my comments, just skip over them or learn how to use the ignore function. Don't take it personally if I don't respond to your every comment, it's nothing personal. I respond when I want to, to whom I want to...mkay? You can do the same.

Last edited by porcia83; 11-14-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:27 PM
fliers1

Ok, what I meant was although I am aware of those at AMA are already doing what they can, does anyone else have any ideas what AMA could or should be doing ? What is in their power that could be done?

Yep, we could have many more members ,but: [h=1]Membership Drive Reaction[/h][h=3]by Jim Rice, Chairman Leader Member Committee[/h]As I write this, it is a week before Christmas and the final membership numbers for 2009 are fresh in my mind ... Depressing but still in my mind. We had a membership drive. A well-thought-out, but poorly executed drive. The leg work was done at the HQ level and the advertising was done in Model Aviation and by word of mouth via most of the District VPs. Yet the grass roots level, where the newbie meets the member, it didn’t happen very well; seemingly no interest in the growth of the membership by the average modeler or club.

Last edited by fliers1; 11-14-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Ok, what I meant was although I am aware of those at AMA are already doing what they can, does anyone else have any ideas what AMA could or should be doing ? What is in their power that could be done?
Based on some of the posts in this thread it appears a few are going to run for senior leadership positions in the AMA in the next election. I expect them to iron everything out in a in few days after being elected. Nothing at all to worry about, we'll be in good, er, great hands then.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yep, we could have many more members ,but: Membership Drive Reaction

by Jim Rice, Chairman Leader Member Committee

As I write this, it is a week before Christmas and the final membership numbers for 2009 are fresh in my mind ... Depressing but still in my mind. We had a membership drive. A well-thought-out, but poorly executed drive. The leg work was done at the HQ level and the advertising was done in Model Aviation and by word of mouth via most of the District VPs. Yet the grass roots level, where the newbie meets the member, it didn’t happen very well; seemingly no interest in the growth of the membership by the average modeler or club.
Take a look at some of the posts in this thread and you'll by able to tell why "it didn't happen very well". Selling takes people skills. People skills also happen to be an area where modelers are generally most lacking.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

Yep, we could have many more members ,but: Membership Drive Reaction

by Jim Rice, Chairman Leader Member Committee

As I write this, it is a week before Christmas and the final membership numbers for 2009 are fresh in my mind ... Depressing but still in my mind. We had a membership drive. A well-thought-out, but poorly executed drive. The leg work was done at the HQ level and the advertising was done in Model Aviation and by word of mouth via most of the District VPs. Yet the grass roots level, where the newbie meets the member, it didn’t happen very well; seemingly no interest in the growth of the membership by the average modeler or club.
Sometimes, membership doesn't drive reaction. What's going on now in terms of the MR issue, as well as elections that were going on for VP positions. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it doesn't seem like any significant and meaningful portion of the AMA membership is that caught up in any of these things to take action, and by action I mean more than posting on an internet site. Look at the last elections results. Look at how many people are running for offices now? Look how many people responded to the FAA. Even assuming everyone of them is an AMA member..what does it show? Apathy, perhaps a lack of awareness on membership (RCmiket has indicated this in regards to the dues issues), or maybe it's not an issue that folks feel is going to affect them. Has anything that's happened over the past 4 years affected you or the club you fly in (or clubs). Not in the ones I'm involved in.

Are the current rules and regs prohibitive for how we operate? I don't personally think they are. What if we're required to "register" our AMA number of something along those lines (which I don't think we will)...will that be a game changer? I get the fact that some don't want more Gov intervention, heck most don't...but there isn't much we can do right now to stop that. not at a singular or even club level.

Same goes for growth at the club level. That doesn't always lead to optimal outcomes. Some clubs want to remain small, in fact have to remain small for lots of reasons. When I first joined a club I'm in now they capped membership and turned lots of people away. Meanwhile, a club less than 10 minutes away was losing people left and right, and got down to about 20 people. Clubs do curios things sometimes, but sometimes there are reasons behind it.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:11 PM
astrohog

Sometimes, membership doesn't drive reaction. What's going on now in terms of the MR issue, as well as elections that were going on for VP positions. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it doesn't seem like any significant and meaningful portion of the AMA membership is that caught up in any of these things to take action, and by action I mean more than posting on an internet site. Look at the last elections results. Look at how many people are running for offices now? Look how many people responded to the FAA. Even assuming everyone of them is an AMA member..what does it show? Apathy, perhaps a lack of awareness on membership (RCmiket has indicated this in regards to the dues issues), or maybe it's not an issue that folks feel is going to affect them. Has anything that's happened over the past 4 years affected you or the club you fly in (or clubs). Not in the ones I'm involved in.

Are the current rules and regs prohibitive for how we operate? I don't personally think they are. What if we're required to "register" our AMA number of something along those lines (which I don't think we will)...will that be a game changer? I get the fact that some don't want more Gov intervention, heck most don't...but there isn't much we can do right now to stop that. not at a singular or even club level.

Same goes for growth at the club level. That doesn't always lead to optimal outcomes. Some clubs want to remain small, in fact have to remain small for lots of reasons. When I first joined a club I'm in now they capped membership and turned lots of people away. Meanwhile, a club less than 10 minutes away was losing people left and right, and got down to about 20 people. Clubs do curios things sometimes, but sometimes there are reasons behind it.
I disagree that there isn't much we can do right now to stop the Gov. intervention. The AMA is, and should be our voice where this potential legislation is concerned. Yes, they have been involved (as they should be, it is their most important function as far as I am concerned), but I believe they should have distanced "us" from the drones. Drones are a new (and distinctly different) hobby that faces different and unique (as witnessed by the recent public and Government outcry and concern like never before in our 80 year history) challenges that clearly calls for their OWN advocacy group.

Historically, the AMA has done a bang-up job at serving the modelers' needs. It is painfully clear that they are NOT the proper organization to advocate for drones, nor do I believe it is too late for the AMA to take a step back and let the FAA or whomever, take on that role. Let the AMA continue to be an exemplary CBO for the hobby it has proven to be able to understand and regulate. As always, it is important that each AMA member voice his/her opinion both to AMA leadership as well as the FAA, the regulatory task force, AND at a local club level to let all of our club members be aware what is happening and how they can participate. Beyond that, it is up to each individual to do their part. Member participation at any level in the past has been sadly lethargic in my opinion and the only way to change that is to spread awareness and urge for members to AT LEAST have, and voice, an opinion!

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While I back AMA totally on what they've tried to do, and what they've actually accomplished, I think we all should understand that this is - at the bottom of all of it - simply a move by the government to CONTROL another aspect of our lives. Telling AMA what we think is all well and good, BUT the US govt has already made up their minds (if they have one) as to what's going to happen and no amount of letter writing, phone calling, or any of the rest of it is going to make any difference at all.

I was born into a military family, did my own military career - was 42 before I was finally free of 100% government control of my life. I heard, and unfortunately believed, all the promises - AND I'VE LIVED TO SEE 95% OF THEM BROKEN. This is no different.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a pessimist. They made me that way.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:07 AM
rcmiket

Based on some of the posts in this thread it appears a few are going to run for senior leadership positions in the AMA in the next election. I expect them to iron everything out in a in few days after being elected. Nothing at all to worry about, we'll be in good, er, great hands then.
Take a look at some of the posts in this thread and you'll by able to tell why "it didn't happen very well". Selling takes people skills. People skills also happen to be an area where modelers are generally most lacking.
I see the blame everyone else who posts here squad is back in operation. As far as "people skills" both of you could use some classes.

Mike.

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-15-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I see the blame everyone else who posts here squad is back in operation. As far as "people skills" both of you could use some classes.

Mike.
That's funny, you quoted one person but referred to two. Why not just let the comment pass? Do you think that telling someone else they need "people skills" class is itself showing good people skills? Why start the day this way, seriously?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.