Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Best Buy ad for Yuneec 4K drone with FREE AMA Membership!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Best Buy ad for Yuneec 4K drone with FREE AMA Membership!

Old 11-12-2015, 02:18 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rc manic
Let's all be realistic about this. Nothing is for free. The AMA has nothing to gain by giving free membership. As it is, they can barely maintain their current status with our dues, thus the recent increase.
Me thinks they are far from "barely maintaining their current status"....13 years without a dues increase. Not many organizations can say they've done that. Lot's of reasons why it was time for one. There might be another thread on the issue.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:11 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AMA is not barely maintaining. After the 2008 economic crash the AMA lost nearly 1.5 million is revenue. So rather than downsize in spending the AMA opted to increase dues bringing back that nearly 1.5 million dollar loss.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

If you go through the financials you will see they did in fact downsize in spending. They even brought on a financial person to assist with that, in addition to re positioning assets for better returns. The loss of 1.5 million in revenue 7 years ago wasn't that significant, at least it doesn't appear to have been when looking at all the other numbers. Membership has grown considerably since then, and somewhere in some thread I think I posted the last 5 years of membership, with at least 3 if not 4 years of substantive growth. The numbers are all there in the financials. I think there were many considerations for raising the dues, chief among them that it had been 13 years since it had been done before. Not many thinkgs I can think of that stay flat in pricing over 13 years. Gas sure is dropping in price around here though...almost getting to $2.00 a gallon. Oh happy days!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:08 PM
TimJ

Including hard membership numbers broke down in the financials would be more helpful for this conversation. I don't agree with your argument.

Last edited by TimJ; 11-12-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:52 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TimJ
Including hard membership numbers broke down in the financials would be more helpful for this conversation. I don't agree with your argument.
I really don't see why they can;t breakdown the membership numbers. I'd like to know just where we stand.
Mike
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I really don't see why they can;t breakdown the membership numbers. I'd like to know just where we stand.
Mike
I agree. As it sits, it is just an estimate with the information that we have access to, in order to figure a close number of members.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Sorry, I don't have a big problem with not knowing exact figures down to single numbers. It's just another data set people want suddenly because they can't find it easily, or god forbid asking the right people. Does it have any real bearing on your membership, or how you fly, or the benefits derived from membership? No, not really. If they say they are at 187,000, I'll take them at their word. The financial reports are completed then verified by a nuetral third party. I'd rather see hard numbers on "profits" (yes I know it's non-profit), income, expenses etc. I fail to believe 60k of the 180,000 memberships are given away for free...but at the end of the day....I'm not running the show, and other than a few folks here, it doesn't seem to be a huge bone of contention. I think we got bigger issues to deal with.

Like who's paying the AMA membership for the Yuneec.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:10 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Sorry, I don't have a big problem with not knowing exact figures down to single numbers. It's just another data set people want suddenly because they can't find it easily, or god forbid asking the right people. Does it have any real bearing on your membership, or how you fly, or the benefits derived from membership? No, not really. If they say they are at 187,000, I'll take them at their word. The financial reports are completed then verified by a nuetral third party. I'd rather see hard numbers on "profits" (yes I know it's non-profit), income, expenses etc. I fail to believe 60k of the 180,000 memberships are given away for free...but at the end of the day....I'm not running the show, and other than a few folks here, it doesn't seem to be a huge bone of contention. I think we got bigger issues to deal with.

Like who's paying the AMA membership for the Yuneec.
Here we go again. Just becasue you don't want to know we shouldn't either?
What bigger issues are you referring too? I thought everything was just wonderful as you see it.

Mike
Old 11-12-2015, 03:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Here we go again. Just becasue you don't want to know we shouldn't either?
What bigger issues are you referring too? I thought everything was just wonderful as you see it.

Mike
The only thing happening again is you twisting what I'm saying, being presumptuous about what I think you should and shouldn't know...and being sarcastic. Really no need to go down that path, but if that's your thing, have at it.

Sorry you don't agree with my opinions....such is life. If you want the numbers so bad, ask for them. Let me know if that makes any difference in the world to you, other than having a new set of numbers to look at. If you don't think we have bigger issues to deal with, so be it. I happen to think we do, in and out of the hobby.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:10 PM
TimJ

It is a big deal. The corporation (AMA) should be able to separate and show in the financials where their money is coming from. If I was running the corporation I would want to know that break down in order to act quickly if their happens to be an up or down tick in revenue. The corporation has several different revenue streams. It would be unwise to not be able to distinguish where the money is coming from. I'm sure on the back side the accountant is keeping track of it. We the members should be worried about this too. Especially those that are BODs at a local club.

Like I stated earlier, either Best Buy or Yuneec has to be paying for membership. It doesn't make much sense for the AMA to just hand out free memberships. Unless on the tax side the AMA can recoup funds as a promotional item.

Last edited by TimJ; 11-12-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

It is a big deal. The corporation (AMA) should be able to separate and show in the financials where their money is coming from. If I was running the corporation I would want to know that break down in order to act quickly if their happens to be an up or down tick in revenue. The corporation has several different revenue streams. It would be unwise to not be able to distinguish where the money is coming from. I'm sure on the back side the accountant is keeping track of it. We the members should be worried about this too. Especially those that are BODs at a local club.

Past performance is sometimes a pretty good predictor of future performance, within reason of course. I don't think there has been any huge uptick or loss of membership or revenue, at least not that I recall seeing in prior financials. They have decades of data to look at and calculate within a reasonable degree what is coming down the pike. The CFO shares his thoughts via the MA mag, check out July's column for instance.

Sure, I guess it would be nice to have every number for everything we want available a click of a button, again, I personally don't see the need for it, but I get that some do want it. Fair enough.

I'm not sure I follow you on the local BOD comment though, how do you translate the lack of this data, or the worry factor, as something that would translate down to a BOD level? I don't think the clubs I've belonged to or been involved with as an officer have ever been concerned about this? Not saying it's not something to worry about for you or your club, hence the question.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:25 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am more worried about whether the AMA could be held liable for something these guys do when not at a AMA field...
Old 11-12-2015, 04:50 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

I see the Best Buy and Yuneec deal as nothing more than a CYA move for themselves given the FAA's Know Before You Fly campaign and the rest of the 'stuff' potentially coming down the DOT pipe.
They need to be able to later say in court that they did what they could to imform buyers.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:06 PM
rcmiket

The only thing happening again is you twisting what I'm saying, being presumptuous about what I think you should and shouldn't know...and being sarcastic. Really no need to go down that path, but if that's your thing, have at it.

Sorry you don't agree with my opinions....such is life. If you want the numbers so bad, ask for them. Let me know if that makes any difference in the world to you, other than having a new set of numbers to look at. If you don't think we have bigger issues to deal with, so be it. I happen to think we do, in and out of the hobby.

Not going there again.

Mike
Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Not going there again.

Mike
Too late, you "went there" with post 33. But let's not continue...I agree. personal opinions are just that.....
Old 11-12-2015, 05:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by gsoav8r
I see the Best Buy and Yuneec deal as nothing more than a CYA move for themselves given the FAA's Know Before You Fly campaign and the rest of the 'stuff' potentially coming down the DOT pipe.
They need to be able to later say in court that they did what they could to imform buyers.
There is no CYI with Best Buy or Yuneec, both could be brought into litigation..because anyone can be, but ultimately it's on the pilot. Yuneec I'm sure has language in their owner's manual that discusses safe flying, even the cheap stuff from Banggood has it. It appears to be a marketing gimmick, just wonder how successful it will be, if at all.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by foodstick
I am more worried about whether the AMA could be held liable for something these guys do when not at a AMA field...
Doubtful, but almost nothing is impossible with court decisions in the U.S. It's always a crap shoot.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:46 AM
TimJ

Past performance is sometimes a pretty good predictor of future performance, within reason of course. I don't think there has been any huge uptick or loss of membership or revenue, at least not that I recall seeing in prior financials. They have decades of data to look at and calculate within a reasonable degree what is coming down the pike. The CFO shares his thoughts via the MA mag, check out July's column for instance.

Sure, I guess it would be nice to have every number for everything we want available a click of a button, again, I personally don't see the need for it, but I get that some do want it. Fair enough.

I'm not sure I follow you on the local BOD comment though, how do you translate the lack of this data, or the worry factor, as something that would translate down to a BOD level? I don't think the clubs I've belonged to or been involved with as an officer have ever been concerned about this? Not saying it's not something to worry about for you or your club, hence the question.
I am thinking along the lines of a pulse of our community. Concerning membership retention, regional and national. Reaching out to people with a kind hand and asking questions if they don't renew. That small amount of data could help clubs and the AMA in several ways.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would you think the AMA membership would be for their park program which is about half the cost? Hopefully all these drone yayhoo's don't think they need to join our club.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Would you think the AMA membership would be for their park program which is about half the cost? Hopefully all these drone yayhoo's don't think they need to join our club.
Right...I mean, what club wants new members?

What a welcoming thought to prospective new members...how...pleasant. Can't imagine why some would go off and fly on their own when clubs have the mentality that they are yahoos if they fly drones. #insertbrotherhood here for the win.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

I am thinking along the lines of a pulse of our community. Concerning membership retention, regional and national. Reaching out to people with a kind hand and asking questions if they don't renew. That small amount of data could help clubs and the AMA in several ways.
I guess. I suspect they would rather channel resources to current and new membership rather than chase those that decide to leave. With aging populations, and the demographic for this hobby I suspect some folks who are no longer in the hobby are no longer with us at all. Still, I'd be curious to see what regions have picked up memberships in the past few years, even down to specific states, and see if even that piece of data could be dug into deeper to see the cause for that rise (guess it could be looked into for the adverse too).
Old 11-16-2015, 08:02 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I really don't see quad fliers ever joining clubs for the most part... From first hand experience and watching things unfold these guys are MOSTLY interested in video, the quad allows cool video.

Other than the guys racing them FPV the flying aspect seems to be a distant second.

I have taken a lot of video from and of my airplanes at my field..and very soon you realize it doesn't change much.

The camera/quad guys are going to be wanting to fly new places, and to get thrilling new shots.. the last thing they will want is to PAY to fly at the same controlled field.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by foodstick
I really don't see quad fliers ever joining clubs for the most part... From first hand experience and watching things unfold these guys are MOSTLY interested in video, the quad allows cool video.

Other than the guys racing them FPV the flying aspect seems to be a distant second.

I have taken a lot of video from and of my airplanes at my field..and very soon you realize it doesn't change much.

The camera/quad guys are going to be wanting to fly new places, and to get thrilling new shots.. the last thing they will want is to PAY to fly at the same controlled field.
Fair enough...but...if you were a club president and a bunch of people started showing interest in joining the club and learning how to fly, and only used quads, would you welcome them into the club or not?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's fun to watch him squirm when he's being forced to eat his own cooking.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Slow day eh.....get well friend, I wish you the best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.