Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Will you register your model plane?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Will you register your model plane if required?
Yes, as required
42.86%
No, I will never register.
52.04%
I didn't know you may have to register
5.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Will you register your model plane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
The FAA already does make that distinction. Anyone who obtains a Section 333 Exemption to operate commercially is required to formally register their aircraft and obtain an actual "N" number. This is intended to capture the hobbyists and those who are operating commercially, but outside the manner in which FAA authorizes such operation (Section 333).

Moving forward, Part 107 specifically requires registration for commercial operation:
Congress made that distinction. The FAA is not quite there yet.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by kmeyers
At the field I fly at you are required to have insurance. The people who always follow rules just do. The people who do not follow rules will not.

In Illinois where I live. To register, own, purchase, license a car proof of insurance is required. All car insurance clearly states only licensed drivers are valid. (I bow to the point the car could be towed off the lot to where you store it as a collector but believe me this is not the case this ad is making)

This is a similar case.

These rules are designed to force compliance with the laws, but, those who do not normally care about legal compliance will not follow them.
Not totally correct. You can get insurance without a license. But you must sign a document that you will hire a licensed driver to drive it. Some rich people own limo's and do not have a driver license.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:44 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Even not so rich people can do it. They can have a car and insurance without having a license. They just need to have a licensed party as a listed driver. It's rare, but it happens, usually with seniors or disabled folks.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:35 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Does everybody want to be a Lawyer?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go kids.

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RTFARCFinalReport_11-21-15.pdf (327.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Silent-AV8R

FWIW - I started a thread so it does not get lost in the noise:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...endations.html
Old 11-24-2015, 10:08 AM
JimmyZep

no!
I will not ever register my
plane!!

Jimmy
Old 11-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

For those who who fly at AMA sanctioned clubs, you will not fly if things are not in order. From what I have read so far it's no big deal. Thanks DRONE Idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by JimmyZep
no!
I will not ever register my
plane!!

Jimmy
That's cool. The FAA is not talking about registering your plane. They want YOU to register!!! So you are good to go!!
Old 11-25-2015, 05:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
For those who who fly at AMA sanctioned clubs, you will not fly if things are not in order. From what I have read so far it's no big deal. Thanks DRONE Idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where are you getting your information? There is nothing out there to indicate anything close to this.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good point...most clubs will be enforcing compliance.
Do I have to like it...? No.
Am I able to understand why this is the way it is...? Yes.
Is this a "foot in the door" for the Feds to tax our hobby...? Yes, undoubtedly so.
Is there any way to reverse this trend..? Yes, a major and prolonged economic collapse that wipes out all forms of non-essential, non-productive government activity. Until then, expect to see non-stop increases in governmental controls. The Gravy Train Ride will continue to gather momentum until it derails.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:26 AM
rcmiket

Just curious what's to prevent anyone from placing any number in their air-frame once we know what registration will look like? You show up at a club someone asks you show them. How will they or anyone else know if it's ( really registered)?
They'll say OK and move on. Now who's the one that may ask for the info?
Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 05:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Just curious what's to prevent anyone from placing any number in their air-frame once we know what registration will look like? You show up at a club someone asks you show them. How will they or anyone else know if it's ( really registered)?
They'll say OK and move on. Now who's the one that may ask for the info?
Mike
A great point, I suppose nothing will stop people who want to "break the rules". I don't however see the club being responsible for checking and verifying any of that, this isn't a mandate on the AMA or clubs, it's a mandate on each pilot. I suspect the AMA will have to give some specific direction on this once the recommendations are finally put in place. Just more work for a club secretary (or whoever gets "tasked" with this).
Old 11-26-2015, 08:25 AM
Gizmo-RCU

From the sound of things it could have been much worse? I would be willing to pay a little extra for stickers with all the right info. , X-amount each year when you re-new your AMA. Just a thought?
Old 11-26-2015, 08:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

From the sound of things it could have been much worse? I would be willing to pay a little extra for stickers with all the right info. , X-amount each year when you re-new your AMA. Just a thought?
Oh for sure, I think it could have been far worse. Consider that it could have been every aircraft being registered instead of the pilot. Oh, and a per registration fee too. I'm hoping something can be done to use our current AMA numbers. We already have our names/numbers in the planes now.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:00 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm hoping something can be done to use our current AMA numbers. We already have our names/numbers in the planes now.
I hope you are doing more than hoping that will happen! Based on numerous posts, you are a big advocate of people getting off of their keesters if they want something done! If you were to draft a letter or petition to the AMA suggesting they advocate this to the FAA on our behalf, I would surely sign it!!

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-26-2015, 09:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Oh for sure...I've already made that suggestion to my district VP. Want to partner together and come up with a more formal written proposal, let me know? We'll have the East Coast and West Coast representin! Yaaa boyzzzz!
Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I see where this is going (just speculation on my part), to legally fly you need a number from the FAA. Do something stupid or have an accident that is your fault and they can take it away, legally you will be done with flying planes. You will need this number to join a club and the AMA. The reason the AMA number thing doesn't work for the FAA is because we have a huge population of flyers that do not belong to the AMA, it's voluntary and if the FAA is offering a benefit or privilege as I said they then have the power to take it away. For the vast majority of AMA members this is not a problem, because we fly at club fields and abide by a set of rules. I'm not a lawyer or even a wanna be lawyer like a lot of guys on this forum, but I understand a little about how lawyerin works!
Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
I think I see where this is going (just speculation on my part), to legally fly you need a number from the FAA. Do something stupid or have an accident that is your fault and they can take it away, legally you will be done with flying planes. You will need this number to join a club and the AMA. The reason the AMA number thing doesn't work for the FAA is because we have a huge population of flyers that do not belong to the AMA, it's voluntary and if the FAA is offering a benefit or privilege as I said they then have the power to take it away. For the vast majority of AMA members this is not a problem, because we fly at club fields and abide by a set of rules. I'm not a lawyer or even a wanna be lawyer like a lot of guys on this forum, but I understand a little about how lawyerin works!
Although there are many folks flying that aren't part of the AMA, allowing current and future AMA members to use their AMA number in the place of a randomly generated one won't be looked at as any favor or special consideration, at least I don't think so. Once me an Astro work through the issues and submit our proposal perhaps we'll get an answer and can share it with folks, be them lawyers or not!
Old 11-26-2015, 04:45 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hell no i will never register. You can DEFECATE in one hand and want in the other. see which one fills up faster.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:03 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

How about this for an idea if registration become a requirement, register everything including non built kits, plans of models, all plans and articles in magazines that you have in your possession and as many paper airplanes you can construct, this approach may completely inundate the entire process.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:11 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

I truly don't get why the FAA, and government have such a extreme unsatisfied desire to nail aero-modelers.
looks like we will definately need some well experienced aero-modeling lawyers in the near future.

Last edited by I-fly-any-and-all; 11-26-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Actually I-fly-any -and-all, It is the folks with your attitude causing all these problems for the rest of us..............think about it? (well maybe)
Old 11-26-2015, 07:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
Lets register every and gps tracking chip every middle eastern dirka dirka rag head to ever walk the face of the earth! Lalalalallalalalala muhammid jihad! Boom! (jeff dunham quote)
I'm not sure, but I think some kind of an all time RCU posting record was just established....
Old 11-27-2015, 03:39 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

They ARE NOT asking/telling you ,you have to register your aircraft. what the proposed ruling is saying they want Pilots to register themselves as a model A/C pilot and will be given a number " like AMA does" which you will have to have either have it on the plane or in an area that can be accessed easily for viewing . Gary Fitch " Executive Vice President of AMA " is a close personal friend and we talked in length about this on our way to Syracuse last weekend . It would be impossible to register every aircraft as they come and go so quickly . weather they are crashed ,damaged,sold ,traded .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.