Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA/DOT Registration Task Force Recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA/DOT Registration Task Force Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:06 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
"Based on its years of experience the AMA cautioned against unnecessarily encumbering the toy industry........"

Awww.........that's so sweet. Mother Theresa must be smiling down them.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Just found this in USATODAY.

"The Academy of Model Aeronautics, which represents 180,000 hobbyists nationwide and participated in the task force, wanted to file a dissenting opinion and was prevented from doing so, executive director Dave Mathewson said. Mathewson said factors other than weight should trigger the registration requirement, such as whether it could fly higher than the current 400-foot FAA limit.“Unfortunately the task force recommendations may ultimately prove untenable by requiring the registration of smaller devices that are essentially toys and do not represent safety concerns,” Mathewson said.

"http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/23/faa-gets-recommendations-register-all-drones/76253444/"

Here are my questions.
Why was AMA prevented from filing a dissenting opinion?
I would say the goal here was to reach a consensus, which is hard with 5 people, 10 people etc, but given the size of this group the task was even more difficult. With this many people involved there was no way they were going to allow each party to state their dissenting opinion. They know that's going to happen when the groups release their own statements.
Since it can't be filed... could the AMA post the dissent please?

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/med...-registration/

They seem frustrated.

What is preventing AMA from sending a letter to the Administrator?

Nothing at this point, not sure that it would matter, seems like it's been decided already. They can send a letter, or I suppose they could challenge this somehow. Probably not a cost effective way of doing so though.

My understanding is that the report was unanimous. They specifically said no dissents. FAA announced this morning.

Here is what the report said specifically:

5. CONCLUSION

These recommendations were agreed upon in a spirit of cooperation and compromise.

Many TaskForce members approached the proceeding with strong convictions, derived both from their

personal experience and from knowledgeable input from their organizations and users.

In such a time-limited tasking, many of these convictions were necessarily set aside in order to reach a general

consensus among the group and to provide the FAA with a workable solution that met its safety and

policy requirements while not unduly burdening the nascent UAS industry and its enthusiasticowners and users of all ages.

Just wondering. Simple questions. Simple answers.
Above in red, sorry about the formatting on that last cut and paste...came from a .pdf!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
"Based on its years of experience the AMA cautioned against unnecessarily encumbering the toy industry........"

Awww.........that's so sweet. Mother Theresa must be smiling down them.
They rule with a velvet glove.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:48 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Wow...he's getting the kid gloves treatment!

And yes..the 55 pound comment is odd. I've seen what a much lighter plane can do when striking a person on a mower. Multiple fractures of a leg, pins and rods.....$125,000 settlement. Hardly a fender bender.
And I suppose that the $125K was just to fix the Mower???
Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Needless to say, he didn't mow the lawn after that. And oddly enough, he told the pilot "go on up, no problem, I'll go cut over there". One plane in sky, one mower on the ground, and the rest is history. $125k was actually a good settlement That was I believe 6-7 years ago. I wasn't a member then, was just coming into the hobby. No more flying while mowing, even if the guy was like, sure!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:25 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by franklin_m
An LTMA1 at AMA max allowed speed of 200MPH (293 fps) has the same kinetic energy as a average weight Mini-Cooper at about 22 mph. I'm fairly certain that if a car of that size crashed into someone, it could be fatal. Even with a 2 second shut down timer on loss of signal, that same aircraft will cover 500 feet before the engine stops, let alone how much further it will go before it hits the ground. Now put it at 400 feet in the air -- it can go a very long way.
And the Morale of the story is?
a. Mini-Coopers can't go 20 MPH
b. Mini-Coopers should be restricted to 10 mph or slower.
c. Mini-Coopers are dangerous at an speed.
d. All of the above

Now put it at 400 feet in the air -
Why would anyone put their Mini-Cooper 400' in the air?

Life is full of risks .... more people are killed getting in and out of the tub than are run over by Mini-Coopers or hit by a 200 MPH Toy Jet.

We had a 3 Day Jet Rally this weekend with over 50 pilots and over 100 planes and over 1000+ flights. Not one, even those that crashed in the desert, came close to hurting any Mini-Coopers.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:45 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by kmeyers
250 - 24970 grams. Makes me want to drop a 249 gram object on somebodies head.
There's actually a lot of data on the injury potential dropped objects from the construction industry, and its obvious that even what we might consider small objects have big injury potential.

So, assuming the victim is wearing a hard hat, a 249 gram object will likely cause:

- a medical treatment injury when it falls from above approx 18 meters
- a lost time injury when it falls from above approx 25 meters
- a fatality when it falls from above 40 meters

Source: http://www.dropsonline.org/resources...ps-calculator/

[ATTACH]2132201[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DROPS-Calculator-Metric-A4.pdf (754.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
And the Morale of the story is?
a. Mini-Coopers can't go 20 MPH
b. Mini-Coopers should be restricted to 10 mph or slower.
c. Mini-Coopers are dangerous at an speed.
d. All of the above
Well, the data doesn't lie. A mini-coooper sized vehicle at 22 mph (approx 35 KMH) that hits a pedestrian results in a fatality about 10% of the time. Why would the potential injury from an LTMA1 at 200mph be any less dangerous?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-11-24 01:49:54.png
Views:	50
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2132202  
Old 11-24-2015, 03:50 AM
smeckert

Good to see Best Buy and Walmart were included in the rule making process. Ronald McDonald must have had previous commitments, and couldn't make it.
Just a thought, how are those laser laws working?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by smeckert
Good to see Best Buy and Walmart were included in the rule making process. Ronald McDonald must have had previous commitments, and couldn't make it.
Just a thought, how are those laser laws working?
maybe they should just keep this committee together and have them tackle the laser pointer issue as well...two birds with one stone and all.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Possibly not, until a few cases of non-compliance get some publicity
Have they caught anybody recently? Seems most stay a mystery.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

An LTMA1 at AMA max allowed speed of 200MPH (293 fps) has the same kinetic energy as a average weight Mini-Cooper at about 22 mph. I'm fairly certain that if a car of that size crashed into someone, it could be fatal. Even with a 2 second shut down timer on loss of signal, that same aircraft will cover 500 feet before the engine stops, let alone how much further it will go before it hits the ground. Now put it at 400 feet in the air -- it can go a very long way.
A Mini Cooper into an airliner at 22 MPH would be a fender bender. Granted it would be more with a Cessna 152. Get off the stupid plane hitting a person. How gullible do they think we are!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
A Mini Cooper into an airliner at 22 MPH would be a fender bender. Granted it would be more with a Cessna 152. Get off the stupid plane hitting a person. How gullible do they think we are!
Might have asked before...but where do you come up with this stuff? Scale aircraft hit people and injure/kill them, and RC aircraft have hit people...I gave a specific example above.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
But 12 to 15 case of serious injury to a person on the ground over that last few years according ot the AMA.
Are there laws in place that would apply in situations like this? What does voluntary registration solve in your example? Not trying to argue; i'm honestly asking.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Might have asked before...but where do you come up with this stuff? Scale aircraft hit people and injure/kill them, and RC aircraft have hit people...I gave a specific example above.

Why the emphasis on hitting people? The issue is midair with full scale aircraft, especially airliners. If a Mini Cooper is traveling at 22 MPH into an airliner it would be a fender bender. They are not registering toys because they are afraid of them hitting people. In fact the FAA can do nothing about that.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:03 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

He pulls it out of his butt to distract and divert from the real topic.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:04 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why the emphasis on hitting people? The issue is midair with full scale aircraft, especially airliners. If a Mini Cooper is traveling at 22 MPH into an airliner it would be a fender bender. They are not registering toys because they are afraid of them hitting people. In fact the FAA can do nothing about that.
Again, read the report. Their issue was with hitting people on the ground, not midairs.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

Again, read the report. Their issue was with hitting people on the ground, not midairs.
But they said they had no info on mid airs, so they used people. Which makes the result wholly worthless so its worthless to argue that point. I am making the fender bender point to bring it back to where it should be, mid air collision. Apparently you took the bait!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:14 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They would have used that data as well, IF it were available. Another one of their recommendations was for the FAA to expedite their efforts to gather the data needed where air-to-air incidents are concerned, so it very much WAS a part of their process but there just wasn't much relevant data available.

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-24-2015, 06:39 AM
franklin_m

Thank you. I was wondering the same.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

Thank you. I was wondering the same.
You were the first one to take the bait. The issue was never about sUAV hitting people, that is not what the task force is about. Their calculations and recommendation was totally useless.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:47 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by astrohog
They would have used that data as well, IF it were available. Another one of their recommendations was for the FAA to expedite their efforts to gather the data needed where air-to-air incidents are concerned, so it very much WAS a part of their process but there just wasn't much relevant data available.

I'm sure many in this forum have also seen the damage that even things as small coins can do when ingested into a turbine engine. When I was in safety school back in 1998, we studied an accident where a single ball bearing (wrist rocket size) brought down a Harrier jet (high bypass turbofan). I'm a bit concerned about what happens to our hobby when they actually do start shooting DJI's and similar sized objects at turbine blades. Those outrunner motor cases are a lot larger than ball bearings.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:54 AM
HoundDog

Just like this thread the Task Force on Registration & Registration as a whole is a futile attempt to prove that they did SOMETHING. Don't care if it's sensible or practical. The powers that be did something to cover their BUTTs. Typical Politicians. Do Nothing of any substance but do something, Even if it's stupid. We can justify it later. Most People are to stupid, Ignorant or apathetic to care until it affects them in some adverse way. i.e. I don't play with those toy airplanes so I don't care if the ban them all together but don't screw with my R/C cars/boats or whatever.
But again I preaching to the Smartest people on the planet in this and other threads. LOL That should get a rise from a few.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

I'm sure many in this forum have also seen the damage that even things as small coins can do when ingested into a turbine engine.
Yes, I am not impressed enough that registration is the answer. In fact it won't help at all.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:04 AM
dreadedone
My Feedback: (23)

Can't say I didn't warn y'all in the other thread. This is just the beginning. Our hobby/sport will never be the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.