Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA/DOT Registration Task Force Recommendations

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA/DOT Registration Task Force Recommendations

Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never the same despite this. But then again nothing lasts forever. Certain things come and go and come back again.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:26 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Never the same despite this. But then again nothing lasts forever. Certain things come and go and come back again.

At my stage of life I'm not sure if I'll live long enough to see it come around again.

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 07:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
At my stage of life I'm not sure if I'll live long enough to see it come around again.

Mike
Same here. I would like to have freedom to enjoy my hobby, especially now that my kids are through college and once debts are paid I will be able to enjoy it.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Yes, I am not impressed enough that registration is the answer. In fact it won't help at all.
Don't mater if Registration of Toy Airplanes ect is a FARSE. The law makers have done something (no mater if it's ridiculous) the powers that be have done something to cover their Butts. That's all that they care about. It will be the law of the land we have to live with it. Registration is all about, if they Want to, the government/FAA/DOT/HLS/Gestapo, can show at your door, accuse U of something and like the IRS confiscate all your toys. Then U are guilty until you prove your Innocence.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:46 AM
HoundDog

Sporty U want to live forever?
That's why we grow old and die. Can't stand the change to the new ways. Look at any of your old buddies where his wife puts his stuff up for sale ten year after he dies. He's got nothing but Old Planes and Old equipment that went out of style 20 years ago.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 AM
HoundDog

I guess we should be grateful they don't make us to equip our TOY's with this "YET".
GPS-ADS-B for what ever U fly. for $849Enhance your situational awareness and safety with the new XGPS170, which provides ADS-B Traffic and Weather data directly to a compatible EFB app on your iPad or Android tablet – without subscription fees.
- See more at: http://gps.dualav.com/where-to-buy/#....6WmQYL2m.dpuf

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-24-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:01 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, gotta say it. While I have issues with some of the spelling & grammer of the comments, I really don't have a lot of issues with the thoughts represented. My only REAL issue is a simple question: I and 200,000 other guys go along with the govt's program, and we register. How do they find the owner of the sUAS (whatever it might be) that's unmarked (doesn't matter whether it's registered or not really) and just went through the windshield of the 747 that was climbing through 2,000 feet on take-off?

In my view, the whole thing really IS simply a government exercise that will eventually nail some/most/all of us under one pretext or another, and the idiots that caused this thing in the first place will happily go on doing their idiotic stuff - unregistered, uncaught, uncaring.

And, YES - AMA sounds totally frustrated, as I am too.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
OK, gotta say it. While I have issues with some of the spelling & grammer of the comments, I really don't have a lot of issues with the thoughts represented. My only REAL issue is a simple question: I and 200,000 other guys go along with the govt's program, and we register. How do they find the owner of the sUAS (whatever it might be) that's unmarked (doesn't matter whether it's registered or not really) and just went through the windshield of the 747 that was climbing through 2,000 feet on take-off?

In my view, the whole thing really IS simply a government exercise that will eventually nail some/most/all of us under one pretext or another, and the idiots that caused this thing in the first place will happily go on doing their idiotic stuff - unregistered, uncaught, uncaring.

Well said!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mike1974
Well said!!!
Amen!
Old 11-24-2015, 12:49 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

and the idiots that caused this thing in the first place will happily go on doing their idiotic stuff - unregistered, uncaught, uncaring.
I think that says it all!
Old 11-24-2015, 01:04 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

".....

And, YES - AMA sounds totally frustrated, as I am too...
"
If WE don't do anything wrong We won't get caught....or nailed etc etc. I don't see how what is going on is going to get us in trouble if we're not the ones doing something wrong.
You are absolutely right that some of the people will not follow the rules and regs, and many of those have burdened us all with this knee jerk almost useless new process, but I see it as mostly benign. It could have been worse.

My hope is that when another incident occurs that brings the "drone", or MR, or even fixed wing issue into the public's eye and the perp is caught, they throw the book at him. Arrest, fined, aircraft confiscated, maybe even jail time (fact dependent)
Old 11-24-2015, 01:22 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
If WE don't do anything wrong We won't get caught....or nailed etc etc. I don't see how what is going on is going to get us in trouble if we're not the ones doing something wrong.
You are absolutely right that some of the people will not follow the rules and regs, and many of those have burdened us all with this knee jerk almost useless new process, but I see it as mostly benign. It could have been worse.

My hope is that when another incident occurs that brings the "drone", or MR, or even fixed wing issue into the public's eye and the perp is caught, they throw the book at him. Arrest, fined, aircraft confiscated, maybe even jail time (fact dependent
All fine and dandy ... Now how do they catch'em. They can't even find'em 99.999% of the time.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:35 PM
rcmiket

Same here. I would like to have freedom to enjoy my hobby, especially now that my kids are through college and once debts are paid I will be able to enjoy it.
I'm with you there. We;'ll get by but the future of the hobby is questionable. Really sad IMO.

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 01:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Sporty U want to live forever?
That's why we grow old and die. Can't stand the change to the new ways. Look at any of your old buddies where his wife puts his stuff up for sale ten year after he dies. He's got nothing but Old Planes and Old equipment that went out of style 20 years ago.
We grow old because our cells don't reproduce as 100% faithful copies of what they are replacing.
In motor sports, the true sportsman still loves the old equipment, whether he is 70 or 20 years old.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:04 PM
HoundDog

I'm with you there. We;'ll get by but the future of the hobby is questionable. Really sad IMO.

Mike
Maybe so but there are 330 million people that don't even know or care about the hobby. And apparently about 180K minus the 33K that commented to the FAA's NPRM . Then there's those AMA members that failed to comment to the Task Force on Registration. U have to ask do they really care either? We'll see who cares when they have ro put a big ugly number on the side of their scale pride and joy. How about a registration number prominently on the top and bottom of the wings.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

All fine and dandy ... Now how do they catch'em. They can't even find'em 99.999% of the time.
I agree...most are never caught. This wasn't done to "catch" people per se. BUT...every now and then these people get tripped up and are caught. When that happens I think they need to be held accountable, and the press needs to do their job and follow up to see how the case resolves. Now THAT is a pipedream.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:12 PM
rcmiket

We'll see who cares when they have ro put a big ugly number on the side of their scale pride and joy. How about a registration number prominently on the top and bottom of the wings.
According to what I read in the recommendations a simple slip of paper with the registration number on it in the fuse would work. Am I happy about what has transpired? No.

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 02:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

According to what I read in the recommendations a simple slip of paper with the registration number on it in the fuse would work. Am I happy about what has transpired? No.

Mike
It would be nice to have some kind of exception for AMA members to allow us to use our already existing numbers No doubt this could be accomplished with a few keystrokes of programming. No doubt as well it won't happen as some other group will argue a special exception was made for us.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that other folks have stated " Well Said " and " Amen ". I just had to add that I do not think that anybody could have phrased it any better.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Silent-AV8R

OK, gotta say it. While I have issues with some of the spelling & grammer of the comments, .
Very well said, but while we are on the subject of spelling etc., it is grammar, not grammer!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:46 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Very well said, but while we are on the subject of spelling etc., it is grammar, not grammer!!!
How come My spell checker accepts both as correct or at least doesn't find grammer as wrong?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:25 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Oops! I stand, (sit) properly corrected.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Jason Gross

250 grams? Really? That is retarded. I guarantee that limit was settled on not because of the probability of an object of 250 grams falling from some height hurting someone. It was settled on because it's a heavier weight than most of the little quads sold my Walmart, Amazon and the rest and they won't have their golden goose messed with. They estimate a ratio of 20,000,000 (20 million!) flight hours per fatality in UAV. The actual ratio for all aviation in the US for the year 2000 was 1.9 fatalities per 100,000 flight hours (according to good old wikipedia). That makes us almost 400% safer than the other users of the NAS even considering they used an artificially high population density to get the UAS number. More people on the ground have been killed by one full scale plane crashe than have ever been killed by hobby users of the NAS so maybe the FAA should concentrate on that instead if they are so serious about saving lives.

Last edited by Jason Gross; 11-24-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:12 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83

My hope is that when another incident occurs that brings the "drone", or MR, or even fixed wing issue into the public's eye and the perp is caught, they throw the book at him. Arrest, fined, aircraft confiscated, maybe even jail time (fact dependent)
As stated so often, there's the rub. Take one step back and look at the forum topics.

Another AMA field closed. Drones do it again (almost non of these at AMA fields).

Public perception is the real driver and is not linked to reality.

The truth is not the problem, it is perception.

When they close RC fields, it is almost always because of perception. Not an incident. All the people hurt did no wrong. Yet they are the ones that suffer.

They fact that you see it as "mostly benign" is most likely that it hasn't touched you.

I had a non-incident close a field 2 miles from my house. I consider myself lucky that I can now drive 14 miles to a very nice flying field. My worry is that not framing this debate properly will hurt all us legal and safe flyers to extinction.

What do we do then?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by kmeyers
As stated so often, there's the rub. Take one step back and look at the forum topics.

Another AMA field closed. Drones do it again (almost non of these at AMA fields).

Public perception is the real driver and is not linked to reality.

The truth is not the problem, it is perception.

When they close RC fields, it is almost always because of perception. Not an incident. All the people hurt did no wrong. Yet they are the ones that suffer.

They fact that you see it as "mostly benign" is most likely that it hasn't touched you.

I had a non-incident close a field 2 miles from my house. I consider myself lucky that I can now drive 14 miles to a very nice flying field. My worry is that not framing this debate properly will hurt all us legal and safe flyers to extinction.

What do we do then?
Thread topics are fun to read, and participate in, but don't really have an effect on what goes on in the real world, outside of our hobby. They reflect limited points of view from a limited audience. Not saying they aren't useful for us to some degree, but probably won't change anything out "there".

We can only "frame" the issue so much, the same with the AMA. They have been relentless in the messaging about "drone" safety, and model aviation safety. Some will argue they did too much, some say to little, or what they did was ineffective. Put all the arguments aside, they did SOMETHING....which was better than not being involved at all.

Yes, a field was closed down. That will continue to happen, for many reasons. Nothing the AMA can do to prevent that. In the case that's noted here, it was local politics that caused that closure, not a new or even existing regulation. It was one faction of park users against another....local politics at it's best.

We need to keep flying, promote the hobby in a safe way, and most importantly keep having fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.