Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
The Question in the poll is really not a question, and makes NO SENSE...!! If I answer "Yes" what does that mean..?? If I answer "NO" what does that mean..?? Duh... OP must be an idiot or never went to school...
One reason I answered wrong. The title said one thing but the question said another and as you said was not as clear as it should be. I think Yes is it was a mistake, but how?
Old 12-01-2015, 12:25 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hello Flying Friends ,

First , Thank You for all the great answers ! I do want to offer an apology for not being 100% clear since the wording of the poll and the wording of the thread itself seem backwards . My intent is that a YES vote means it is a mistake to embrace drones , and a NO vote means it was OK for the AMA to embrace them . I seem to have tripped up at least one poster , Porcia83 , and if I do another poll I'll have learned from this one that exact wording matters .

So far , Our Friend CombatPigg has most closely represented my feelings about this subject . Just remember , there is no right or wrong answer here , some will believe the acceptance of drones was good , and some will feel it's bad . Any and all explainations of how you feel about this , pro or con , will be welcomed .

Happy Flying
Sorry for the confusion ,

Yes = A mistake

No = Not a mistake .

I'll make sure my next poll is more accurately worded . Happy Voting
The Question in the poll is really not a question, and makes NO SENSE...!! If I answer "Yes" what does that mean..?? If I answer "NO" what does that mean..?? Duh... OP must be an idiot or never went to school...
In BOTH post # 14 AND post # 30 I addressed the mistake in the wording between the thread title and the poll . Funny that is seems the drone supporters are mostly the ones having problems , maybe the anti drone crew actually took the time to READ the whole thread before answering ? PS , nice personal attack with the idiot comment , that just makes your point SO much more right , eh ? God forbid you should actually attempt to discuss this without the attack nonsense , you and hound , the loudest pro drone voices here , are also the rudest to the fellow posters . Your doing your position NO favors with the attack , just making yourself look , well , like someone arguing SUCH a weak point that personal attacks are the best ya got . Pretty sad , really .....
Old 12-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

The whole debate is nonsensical because I do not know of any instance the AMA has supported drones. It is all about RC model airplanes. A quad is not a drone unless it is autonomous. Pretty sure the present autonomous versions are going to require a commercial license to fly in the near future. So other than some stabilization those quads with cameras will not be able to return home for instance, unless the operator has a license.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In BOTH post # 14 AND post # 30 I addressed the mistake in the wording between the thread title and the poll . Funny that is seems the drone supporters are mostly the ones having problems , maybe the anti drone crew actually took the time to READ the whole thread before answering ? PS , nice personal attack with the idiot comment , that just makes your point SO much more right , eh ? God forbid you should actually attempt to discuss this without the attack nonsense , you and hound , the loudest pro drone voices here , are also the rudest to the fellow posters . Your doing your position NO favors with the attack , just making yourself look , well , like someone arguing SUCH a weak point that personal attacks are the best ya got . Pretty sad , really .....
As the bleating rolls in about how hard your "Was the AMA wrong.... Yes or No?" question was to understand, it reveals why so many of them would not be in this hobby if not for the availability of pre-assembled planes that can fly by themselves.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:37 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Simple question. Would you not want to promote the hobby to non members? Seems that the focus is on current members. Was that not the whole premise behind spending the money to bring in new "droners" that are not members? I'd love to see some numbers on what percentage of our members are "droners".
Yes I still believe we will not net a bunch of new AMA members from this. We have a bunch of SIG's how does this one draw in new AMA members? The whole racing thing is a niche thing and more than likely a tiny fraction of "drones" sold.
Sorry you can't grasp that.
Mike
Of course there is a focus on current members, that's a good thing right? If he was holding a heli and went to the Orlando Heli Blowout would anyone be complaining about that here? Gosh I hope not. I met him two years ago at the Maine Jet Rally event, should he not have been there? The focus is always going to be on current members, but they can also try to attract and welcome new members along the way. I'm sure you will agree with me (I know it can happen..) that the MR/Drone/Quad market is the biggest growth opportunity in the hobby right now correct? They certainly should be (and are) looking for membership in that segment, to the consternation of many I might add.

As for numbers, don't know how that could be calculated other than a survey I guess. But keep in mind there are many folks who have both know fixed wing and MR/Drone. I think we will have an increase in membership from these folks, I think previous numbers from either last year or early this year stated 2,000. I see any new dues paying and safe flying member of the AMA as a good thing. If you are looking at it purely from the perspective of how many we gained versus how much money was spent, I don't know if that's the best metric to use. Also, a SIG isn't there for the sole purpose of drawing in new members of the AMA. I doubt the formation of any of them actually drew more people in over the years, it just gives them an additional association.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Of course there is a focus on current members, that's a good thing right? If he was holding a heli and went to the Orlando Heli Blowout would anyone be complaining about that here? Gosh I hope not. I met him two years ago at the Maine Jet Rally event, should he not have been there? The focus is always going to be on current members, but they can also try to attract and welcome new members along the way. I'm sure you will agree with me (I know it can happen..) that the MR/Drone/Quad market is the biggest growth opportunity in the hobby right now correct? They certainly should be (and are) looking for membership in that segment, to the consternation of many I might add.

As for numbers, don't know how that could be calculated other than a survey I guess. But keep in mind there are many folks who have both know fixed wing and MR/Drone. I think we will have an increase in membership from these folks, I think previous numbers from either last year or early this year stated 2,000. I see any new dues paying and safe flying member of the AMA as a good thing. If you are looking at it purely from the perspective of how many we gained versus how much money was spent, I don't know if that's the best metric to use. Also, a SIG isn't there for the sole purpose of drawing in new members of the AMA. I doubt the formation of any of them actually drew more people in over the years, it just gives them an additional association.
I wonder if the votes would be different if the poll question included the Websters definition of a "drone".

http://beta.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drone
Old 12-01-2015, 02:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I think AMA lost a great opportunity last summer when Drones interferred with Air tankers and other full scale aviation, I thought they should have put out a press statement condemming it. I called AMA and was told their publicity firm was handling it. Nothing came of a great(free) opportunity for showing AMA is about responsible flying and working toward that goal. I noted in the Presidents message (AMA) that we should take Drone flyers into our clubs, that met with a "tepid" response from our club members who already have to watch out for the several club members with FPV drones slowly flying thru active fixed wing areas, I usually stand-down and wait out the Drone, or go high and hope I can land while some drone is slowly approching, it does not work out well.............
We have times when most of the Heli guys fly and that has really worked out well for the past several years. We are a 90 member club.
I really do not think Drones will help bring new responsible members to AMA, WHY SPEND MEMBERSHIP MONEY WHEN YOU CAN FLY ANYWHERE FOR FREE WITH NO RULES?
Because there are some people who want to join the AMA and fly at a field, with rules, that's why.

As for the opportunity in the summer....did you see this on the AMA website:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/med...ones-dont-mix/

What purpose would it serve to have the AMA issue a separate press release that would basically say the same thing. I don't see the benefit of the AMA issuing a press release every time there is bad news about drones/MR. The AMA members already know how they should be operating, and so who are we trying to reach? The public...who would then see the AMA at every instance of negative press.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Folks who prefer to use flukes, rarities, outliers and anomalies to form their opinions about mainstream reality should form a line behind Porcia.
Should the rest file in lockstep with those that don't allow differing opinions, pining away for the good old day while slowly becoming obsolete as the hobby passes them by? Who will lead that line?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

The Question in the poll is really not a question, and makes NO SENSE...!! If I answer "Yes" what does that mean..?? If I answer "NO" what does that mean..?? Duh... ..
Harsh, impolite, and uncalled for. Might want to change that last line, is that really needed? It's a poll, the majority of folks answering it answered how they want. I was one that read it to fast and answered contrary to how I wanted, but at the end of the day does it matter? The gist of it is still there.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Todd D
I wonder if the votes would be different if the poll question included the Websters definition of a "drone".

http://beta.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drone
Perhaps, but every time I see someone post up a definition of it, all I think of is....and? The only ones who get to "define" it are the people making the rules. We may feel one way, but at the end of the day, it's them making the final call.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:18 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by islandflyer
I have just been contacted by another forum's member who tried to print our open letter to the AMA, and the petition to support it: he asked me to email them to him because they would not print properly from the jpg files I posted.
Here are the pdf versions of the documents for those interested.
I had a call from our local VP who is trying to move thing in the right direction.

I also learned that Bob Brown (president of AMA) is traveling to Florida this week-end to attend a drone race...never mind that the same week end is the Orlando Heli Blowout, second largest heli event in the US after IRCHA, but he will not be attending that one!

[ATTACH]2133357[/IMG]

[ATTACH]2133358[/IMG]
What U should be petitioning for is an ALert Areas of 1/2 mile in dia. A semi circle where the Flying field has 1 runway and a 1/2 mile full Circle where there's more than one runway with a ceiling of 1500 Feet. The FAA approves them every day for Stadiums power plants sporting events etc. Why not Designated R/C Flying fields as Alert Areas. We would still be able to call out Full Scale when they break an Alert Area, Just as we all do every day.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the bleating rolls in about how hard your "Was the AMA wrong.... Yes or No?" question was to understand, it reveals why so many of them would not be in this hobby if not for the availability of pre-assembled planes that can fly by themselves.
Third name in under the "no" is
franklin_m. He has consistenly been with you all along and clearly is in the "wrong"
column.
Maybe you'd like to call him stupid, too?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:35 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Perhaps, but every time I see someone post up a definition of it, all I think of is....and? The only ones who get to "define" it are the people making the rules. We may feel one way, but at the end of the day, it's them making the final call.
Very true !

Many folks have their own definition of the word but in the end it will be the FAA's definition that matters .

For my own purposes , I do like the ; "beyond line of sight , OR with a mission other than the flight itself" definition , but then again the FAA hasn't specifically asked me for my take on it , and I'm not exactly waiting by the phone for their call
Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by 804
Third name in under the "no" is
franklin_m. He has consistenly been with you all along and clearly is in the "wrong"
column.
Maybe you'd like to call him stupid, too?
Porcia himself was the first to say he made a stupid mistake and mentioned that Franklin did too.
I can "buy into" someone admitting to making a stupid mistake, but not someone who tries to claim that the question was too hard to understand when the overwhelming majority of responders had NO problem at all "deciphering" what was meant.

Do I think Franklin is stupid..?
Not by a long shot and I salute a guy who could have made a very lucrative living in the Private Sector for devoting the "best years" of his life to military service.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:26 PM
jatoRC

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The whole debate is nonsensical because I do not know of any instance the AMA has supported drones. It is all about RC model airplanes. A quad is not a drone unless it is autonomous. Pretty sure the present autonomous versions are going to require a commercial license to fly in the near future. So other than some stabilization those quads with cameras will not be able to return home for instance, unless the operator has a license.
So you expect every drone owner that has a drone that will auto return to home and land because of low power or it lost comms with the transmitter to go and apply for a commercial license just so they can use that feature? I think not.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jatoRC
So you expect every drone owner that has a drone that will auto return to home and land because of low power or it lost comms with the transmitter to go and apply for a commercial license just so they can use that feature? I think not.
When I hear talk about, "return to home" I automatically envision BLOS flight operations, which I assume, requires some kind of autonomous flight system, no?

No need for return to home and auto land when operating LOS, right?

Astro
Old 12-01-2015, 03:55 PM
cj_rumley

Porcia himself was the first to say he made a stupid mistake and mentioned that Franklin did too.
I can "buy into" someone admitting to making a stupid mistake, but not someone who tries to claim that the question was too hard to understand when the overwhelming majority of responders had NO problem at all "deciphering" what was meant.

Not by a long shot and I salute a guy who could have made a very lucrative living in the Private Sector for devoting the "best years" of his life to military service.
Absolutely. He's very analytical too, and "mistake" is somewhat ambiguous, often used for polity where "acted irresponsibly" or "acted out of malice" is more straightforward. Like a repentant criminal saying how sorry he is for his "mistake." Does anybody think it just happened and the guy didn't intend to do it?
Franklin can well speak for himself, and I would never presume to do so, and he may or may not speak regarding his position. If/until he does I like to think that his NO meant he believed AMA didn't make a mistake, they did exactly what they intended to do.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:14 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Absolutely. He's very analytical too, and "mistake" is somewhat ambiguous, often used for polity where "acted irresponsibly" or "acted out of malice" is more straightforward. Like a repentant criminal saying how sorry he is for his "mistake." Does anybody think it just happened and the guy didn't intend to do it?
Franklin can well speak for himself, and I would never presume to do so, and he may or may not speak regarding his position. If/until he does I like to think that his NO meant he believed AMA didn't make a mistake, they did exactly what they intended to do.
~It seems to me that the members here, often in multiples, get annoyed and even frustrated with Porcia when he posts. I would go as far to say that it is just about anything he posts. I would have thought he would think about how he could be less of a common denominator but am actually thinking now that it's his intention to create this atmospere as he thrives on the attention.

I'm curious, is it just me or are others noticing a patter nere and if you do, do you enjoy it or would you rather not see it?

Last edited by TheEdge; 12-01-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:23 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

WOW up to 73 to 18 ... Looks like U.ll only need another 185,000 / 2 = 92,500 + 1 -73 = 92.428 yes votes to have a simple majority.God Luck. Look at this directlyform the AMA Web site.

[TABLE="class: yiv7781624105dashedBorder, width: 700"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 425px, align: left"]AMA welcomes MultiGP as an official FPV Racing SIG

AMA has officially welcomed its newest Special Interest Group (SIG), MultiGP, also known as Multirotor Grand Prix, to represent the First-Person View (FPV) racing community. FPV racing has exploded in popularity in the last few years. Many AMA members have embraced this type of racing and several new model aviation pilots have joined the community because of their interest in FPV. "The AMA is proud to work with MultiGP. FPV racing is a fun and exciting type of model flying activity and one that can enhance our community and the hobby," said Bob Brown, president of AMA. Becoming an official SIG of the AMA will cement the relationship between the two organizations and provide members with the best experience when they decide to start flying models or progress in FPV flying.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 12-01-2015, 04:39 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by TheEdge
~It seems to me that the members here, often in multiples, get annoyed and even frustrated with Porcia when he posts. I would go as far to say that it is just about anything he posts. I would have thought he would think about how he could be less of a common denominator but am actually thinking now that it's his intention to create this atmospere as he thrives on the attention.

I'm curious, is it just me or are others noticing a patter nere and if you do, do you enjoy it or would you rather not see it?
it's not just you
Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM

I deciphered it quickly myself
and decided not to participate in such a poorly
worded and misleading poll.
If indeed franklin is not stupid,
then the evidence points to the fact that
anyone who can't or won't admit
to the shoddiness of the poll and the question
is either a moron or a liar.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 PM
astrohog

it's not just you
DITTO.

While I do appreciate it when he simply shares his opinions, they are few and far between; Between his obviously leading, obtuse, needling, circular and purposely annoying posts, thinly veiled as something they are not.

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-01-2015, 04:59 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by 804
If that is what it takes to make you feel better about the landslide outcome of this poll, then go lick your wounds with your Home Spun Remedies.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by 804
I'm seeing some commonality in these threads recently.

Anybody else notice that there are a select few that spend an inordinate amount of time posting about, "shoddy" polls and "amateur hour" letters that supposedly have no merit?

And they are the first to point fingers at others, calling them intolerant! LOL

SO TRANSPARENT (hypocritical, childish and a complete WASTE of everyone else's time).

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Could be, but if the question was as
straight forward as you all say, there should be no questioning the question,
nor anyone's position on the matter. Nice of you to give him an "out", tho.
As an aside to this fascinating discussion, there is something I've
wondered about you there cj.
Back in the days when you were known as
abel pranger, especially over at rc groups,
you were all about telling the world how fpv
was indeed a part of modelling. Of course,
I think that was before AMA officially recognized
fpv as aero-modelling.
So now, It make one wonder-
just a change of heart, or just another
opportunity to ***** about AMA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.