Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 05:21 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't understand why AMA threads are so divisive and get so ugly.

I have been an active member of the AMA for many years and consider them to be an important, relevant, necessary and integral part of the hobby I enjoy. I think for many decades they have served their membership well. While I disagree with some of their recent decisions and strategies, I don't hate them, or think they are evil. I am but one of many members, while my opinion does matter, in no way do I think that my opinion is any more important than another members is.

What I have witnessed in these forums, is factions that either blindly adore ALL the AMA does and feel they can do no wrong, or those that resent the AMA and espouse them to be the evil empire.

What I dislike about this forum is being labeled as a "hater" when I voice my dissatisfaction with certain decisions or directions the current leadership has taken. There is a difference between disagreeing with something and complete disdain, hatred and malice towards those decision-makers.

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-01-2015, 05:25 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
it's not just you
Pretty much Every One on all these threads are Waco .... Why else would we keep Posting Gibberish about nothing. Much less anything they think they may accomplish to influence others, Themselves, The AMA certainly NOT the FAA. It's pretty much an exercise in futility.
Anyway The only thing that Matters is "NOTHING" Matters. Now just keep posting and insulting each other and Prove we are all NUTZ. See ya in the Padded cell.

ooops time to go to the R/C Club meeting. Same old thing every month but it worth going to the PUB after.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Astro, much of the divide can be traced back to the basic core beliefs and values that we harbor in every day life.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:32 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Astro, much of the divide can be traced back to the basic core beliefs and values that we harbor in every day life.
You mean like the core morals and values that USED to unite this Country and what once made it GREAT?

Astro
Old 12-01-2015, 05:32 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by 804
Could be, but if the question was as
straight forward as you all say, there should be no questioning the question,
nor anyone's position on the matter. Nice of you to give him an "out", tho.
As an aside to this fascinating discussion, there is something I've
wondered about you there cj.
Back in the days when you were known as
abel pranger, especially over at rc groups,
you were all about telling the world how fpv
was indeed a part of modelling. Of course,
I think that was before AMA officially recognized
fpv as aero-modelling.
So now, It make one wonder-
just a change of heart, or just another
opportunity to ***** about AMA?

I always enjoyed Abel's civil, well reasoned and articulate input [whether I agreed with him or not] and just figured that he died.....
I am relieved to hear that he is CJ now...!
Funny thing is that I've always thought that CJ reminds me a lot of Abel....LOL.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by astrohog
You mean like the core morals and values that USED to unite this Country and what once made it GREAT?

Astro
Yes sir..!
The last generation to be this united [as opposed to worshipping diversity] was my parent's WWII Generation that had to overcome so much hardship before being able to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:39 PM
astrohog

Yes sir..!
The last generation to be this united [as opposed to worshipping diversity] was my parent's WWII Generation that had to overcome so much hardship before being able to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
The only thing that I can fault that generation for is that they so freely gave the fruits of their efforts to their kids, whether they were deserving or not. IMO, that was the beginning of "participation awards".

Astro
Old 12-01-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always enjoyed Abel's civil, well reasoned and articulate input [whether I agreed with him or not] and just figured that he died.....
I am relieved to hear that he is CJ now...!
Funny thing is that I've always thought that CJ reminds me a lot of Abel....LOL.
Well, I hope he didn't die.
I had the same opinion as you!
I could be wrong, but I asked him once about it
and he took the"fifth",
but he didn't deny it either.
So...
Old 12-01-2015, 05:50 PM
TimJ

Oh stop it already. Folks here were men enough to admit their mistake. The gentlemen thing for you to do would be to recreate the poll to be clear and concise.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:53 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by 804
Well, I hope he didn't die.
I had the same opinion as you!
I could be wrong, but I asked him once about it
and he took the"fifth",
but he didn't deny it either.
So...
Yes, Abel and CJ are cut from the same cloth..both guys command attention and respect when they chime in..
804, if you dispute the validity of the poll, submit a similar one that you think is less ambiguous.

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-01-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:55 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You think the results would be so different?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:05 PM
rcmiket

it's not just you
It's spreading though.

Mike
Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 PM
cj_rumley

804-

Over several years we have had a congenial relationship in this forum, and I'm at loss as to what has happened to change that. Are you asking a question about where I'm coming from, or have I said something to piss you off to a point where you want take some retaliatory shot at me, like 'outing' my identity as was the obsession of the stalker Red Schmofeld? If questioning the consistency of my position on FPV is really the object of your query, I'll be happy to enlighten you, if you can ask me without transparently cloaking it in drama.

CJ
Old 12-01-2015, 08:33 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

According to my Webster Library of Congress No. 67-31333) a "drone is, first, a noise, a bum, like a bee, but. more applicable here, "a pilot-less whose flight is radio-controlled by an operator on an accompanying craft or on the ground". According to that, all this time, we old timers that designed and built our small aircraft and flew them sans pilots (from the ground!) have been flying "drones". The first and greatest mistake the AMA did was in not explaining to the media, the FAA, and the general public the vast difference between us and our machines and those *&^% flip-flop toys and those that purchase and play with them. Someone somewhere coined the name "drones" and now we are all tarnished with that brush.
I never minded being thought of as "that old guy that builds and flies toy airplanes" but I deeply resent being considered one of the great unwashed multitude now spoken, and written of, as
drone" flyers.
I totally agree with combatpigg, I believe the AMA has not only deserted us, but stabbed us in the back - probably in the belief that their membership will grow every time someone puts down his VISA card and walks home with his new toy. The latest (December) issue of Model Aviation is an excellent example. To get things in line, how about we all push for a new name for that publication - it is no longer "Model Aviation" oriented, how about "Flying Toys"! Things? Beep!!
Not only is it loaded with ads (What, Model Aviation, no way!) from "drone" companies, but is is full of editorial comment on the subject. Even my old friend Bob Brown, now Santa with a big smile and a "drone' graces that issue. I made the same comment elsewhere here, but for those of you that missed it, I expect an AMA program soon like they did with their reapidly died DVD program, all of us members will receive a poster size print of Mr Brown, with instructions where to send the money.
Kdunlap - add my name: Eloy Marez

Last edited by EloyM; 12-01-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by jatoRC
So you expect every drone owner that has a drone that will auto return to home and land because of low power or it lost comms with the transmitter to go and apply for a commercial license just so they can use that feature? I think not.
No, but when they wear out they won't be able to buy another,
Old 12-01-2015, 09:22 PM
combatpigg

Good evening Eloy Marez..!

It sure is great to hear what a lifetime contributor to our hobby and to the AMA magazine thinks about this issue. [especially since you are on "our side"..LOL]
I want you to know that I've enjoyed all of your articles as well as countless other members have.
I'd love to know what you thought about the Park Pilot Program also...but I guess that's for another thread topic.
Thanks again for your service to us..!
Old 12-02-2015, 04:15 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Oh stop it already. Folks here were men enough to admit their mistake. The gentlemen thing for you to do would be to recreate the poll to be clear and concise.
Hi Tim ,

Yes sir I did apologize in both post #14 and post #30 about the mixup in thread wording VS poll wording .

I didn't know I could edit the thread title "after the fact" untill one of my fellow AMA forum posters PMed me and told me how to edit the thread title . I believe now that both titles read the same way and once again all readers have my apology for the thread wording snafu .

Just wait till ya see my next poll !!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 04:27 AM
rcmiket

• YES 85 - 79.44% They Made a mistake
  • NO 22 - 20.56% No They did not

These numbers point to something interesting. That numbers don't lie.
    There have been numerous threads on this subject but this ones different. It's clear as day how people feel on the subject.
    In the other threads if you wanted your feelings on the subject known you had to post them. Risking be attacked by some members and told just how wrong they were. Here they could post their vote and not comment. Not everyone is comfortable posting on a forum.
    It's been beaten to death here that those of us who feel the AMA blew it on this whole deal are a small minority but this poll validates there are more than just a few.
    If you have not done so please email your District VP along with Bob Brown and let them know how you feel.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 05:34 AM
Krumpel

What a BS poll. Title asks one question, body asks the question in opposite terms.

Its similar to the telephone polls that phrase the question to elicit the answer the pollsters want.

And then the endless pages of argument and associated drivel. What a joke.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Numbers do lie and this poll is an example of that. I suspect about a third voted yes thinking they were saying that the AMA was correct in embrasing drones. Which is also confusing because model airplanes are drones. Then maybe a few posted wrong because of that confusion as well. So maybe it should have been closer to 50/50?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:37 AM

804-

Over several years we have had a congenial relationship in this forum, and I'm at loss as to what has happened to change that. Are you asking a question about where I'm coming from, or have I said something to piss you off to a point where you want take some retaliatory shot at me, like 'outing' my identity as was the obsession of the stalker Red Schmofeld? If questioning the consistency of my position on FPV is really the object of your query, I'll be happy to enlighten you, if you can ask me without transparently cloaking it in drama.

CJ
Oh get over yourself, Rumley.
All I did was to put 2+2 together.
If my math is wrong, just say so.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:43 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Numbers do lie and this poll is an example of that. I suspect about a third voted yes thinking they were saying that the AMA was correct in embrasing drones. Which is also confusing because model airplanes are drones. Then maybe a few posted wrong because of that confusion as well. So maybe it should have been closer to 50/50?
INCREDIBLE!

Let's NOT use the numbers from the actual poll. let's take a stab at it and call it good!

SERIOUSLY? NO, I mean, are you REALLY for REAL?

Astro
Old 12-02-2015, 05:45 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Really? I had no issue understanding the question and I'm no rocket scientist.. I really find it hard to believe that 33% couldn't understand it. So far we have had 3 (I believe) who admitted they made a mistake. My advise to them or anyone else is read twice before you hit submit.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 05:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by astrohog
INCREDIBLE!

Let's NOT use the numbers from the actual poll. let's take a stab at it and call it good!

SERIOUSLY? NO, I mean, are you REALLY for REAL?

Astro
Yes for real. The poll is trash because a vast number voted the wrong way because of the misleading and backwards messages.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:47 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rcmiket

• YES 85 - 79.44% They Made a mistake
  • NO 22 - 20.56% No They did not

These numbers point to something interesting. That numbers don't lie.
    There have been numerous threads on this subject but this ones different. It's clear as day how people feel on the subject.
    In the other threads if you wanted your feelings on the subject known you had to post them. Risking be attacked by some members and told just how wrong they were. Here they could post their vote and not comment. Not everyone is comfortable posting on a forum.
    It's been beaten to death here that those of us who feel the AMA blew it on this whole deal are a small minority but this poll validates there are more than just a few.
    If you have not done so please email your District VP along with Bob Brown and let them know how you feel.

Mike
The only thing it "POINTS" to is that 80% of the people dumb enough to participate in the survey don't do DRONES, so no one should ... There are still 184,913 AMA'ers that either don't care or figure people that argue on RCU Forums are NUTZ anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.