Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 04:43 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Last night in post #263 HoundDog posted a link to my private email inbox...!
As far as I know, this is a crime.
A couple minutes later, Porcia83 warned HoundDog that he might have posted the wrong link.
HoundDog edited his post by changing the link to a link to an email sign in page.
Porcia83 edited his post to cover up the advice he gave to HoundDog.
I've contacted RCU Admin and RC Ken about this.
These are your "Drone Advocates" in action guys and gals. These are the guys who don't have time to build...no wonder..!.
These are also the guys who claim that they "Know how to get stuff done".
Who knows if HoundDog has acted alone to steal my identity or if this was a group effort.
I don't know, I'll just leave that up to the experts to decide.

BTW, the link to my email that I saved in post #265 isn't working right now because HoundDog hasn't signed into my email account tonight.
If I sign in, the link will work just like it did when he first posted it.
LoL...the conspiracies knows no end. Don't wrap me up in your issues, really. HD posted a link that didn't work, it went to a BLANK e-mail page, with no identifying features other than it was from AT&T, When I saw it I actually thought it was his. Regardless, I told him his link was bad...the same thing I've done for other people, the same thing other people have done for me. By the time I went back to check it again, he had already cleared it. If it was such a horrible thing to do, and illegal as you indicate, why in the world would you memorialize it by quoting it, and not changing a letter? Oh wait, gathering "evidence". Ya. FYI...there is nothing illegal, improper, or even immoral about posting a blank generic e-mail box page with no identifying features. How do you know HD doesn't have ATT as well?

I wouldn't have known, nor would anyone else had you not come back into the thread and kicked up more drama. I don't think I've ever seen someone here take things so personally and hold a grudge like you do. It's virtually impossible to even try to have a conversation with you unless one agrees with you. I'm sure you'll respond and rant and blame me for something, try not to thought. I'm not in any way part of some grand conspiracy to out you.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:59 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I tried to send a URL that I received from a magazine but after posting ,I checked to see if The URL did indeed go to the magazine (Which I usually do). Well it didn't it went to my mail box so I tried to 2 more times to get the URL to go to the Magazine. When I realized my post was already in another post I left them a PM asking kindly to delete the post ... So I don't under stand what U mean by "Who knows if HoundDog has acted alone to steal my identity or if this was a group effort.
Sorry if U think I did something to your Identity. SoPlease explain how that is trying to STEAL your Identity ... Please Email or PM me with what U think I did I really don't understand.
darn computers......................................... .

Mike
Old 12-11-2015, 04:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Now that I've changed my email security, the link that HoundDog uploaded [the one that I intercepted] tries to go to my email address momentarily but is diverted to a AT&T sign in page.
Bear in mind that the link I intercepted is an edited version of the link that he originally uploaded just moments earlier that is an exact duplicate of what my email page shows in the "address bar".
The complaint process strongly recommends preserving as much original evidence as possible so until this matter is resolved I will keep a "working model" of things just the way they are.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:11 PM
TimJ

Combatpig, there's no way anyone could have seen inside your email account unless someone had your password. Sorry. No one was able to see whatever email that was at the other end of that link.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.avvo.com get a lawyer
Old 12-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Slow and Steady

Personally, I am tired of all the quadcopter articles regularly appearing in RC magazines, including AMA's. Most folks at our field, who tried a quadcopter, no longer fly them; who would if they had even basic fixed wing skills? In fact most flyers are usually strangers who fly from the parking lot of our public field; and they regularly fly over the runway or directly above people in the area; I guess flying away from a conflicting entity would be to reasonable for these folks who appear to have no interest in the flying rules and therefore no interest in AMA. Truth be told, quadcopters are more of a photographers friend than a flying experience. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Slow and Steady

By the way, I don't agree with AMA equating quadcopters with our hobby and appreciate the fellows at BVM, Extreme Flight, Pau etc for their position on this matter.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by TimJ
Combatpig, there's no way anyone could have seen inside your email account unless someone had your password. Sorry. No one was able to see whatever email that was at the other end of that link.
I hope you are right and what I saw with my own 2 eyes on 3 separate tries was just a hallucination ...!

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-11-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 PM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by Slow and Steady
By the way, I don't agree with AMA equating quadcopters with our hobby and appreciate the fellows at BVM, Extreme Flight, Pau etc for their position on this matter.
Thank you for posting here.
There are many more of you behind the scene who will not write here for fear of being dragged into the murkiness of these waters where misquotes, statements taken out of context and spinning are standard practice.
The efforts continue behind the scenes.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Slow and Steady

Herv, you and I had PM'd each other after I posted a comment on an FG thread while you were on your way to XFC, and I continue to hold you in high regard. Having not read all 12 pages of this thread, I didn't realize how sensitive this issue had become among RC Universe members, or that my post would require any element of courage. Having just read some of the most recent posts, I appreciate your comment. Sincere thanks!

Last edited by Slow and Steady; 12-11-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:16 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Now that I've changed my email security, the link that HoundDog uploaded [the one that I intercepted] tries to go to my email address momentarily but is diverted to a AT&T sign in page.
Bear in mind that the link I intercepted is an edited version of the link that he originally uploaded just moments earlier that is an exact duplicate of what my email page shows in the "address bar".
The complaint process strongly recommends preserving as much original evidence as possible so until this matter is resolved I will keep a "working model" of things just the way they are.
I've told U that I checked my post URL to see if it went to the Drone magazine and it went directly to my Mail Box so I deleted and tried again and it did the same thing. So when procia83 copied it to a new post I asked him to delete it because it went directly to my Email and not the Drone magazine as intended. so to stop it from going to m email I copied his post to ask him to delete it. then in my copy of his post with the URL in it I changed .Com to .XXX but it still went to my email. Then U must have clicked on it and it went to your email it looks like what ever it is it goes directly to anyone's email that tries it. That's all I know so believe it or not that's the truth. Besides I'm not computer Literate to do what ever U think I did. Ask some one else to attempt to use it to and see if it goes to Yours or their email and not yours..
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM
HoundDog

Personally, I am tired of all the quadcopter articles regularly appearing in RC magazines, including AMA's. Most folks at our field, who tried a quadcopter, no longer fly them; who would if they had even basic fixed wing skills? In fact most flyers are usually strangers who fly from the parking lot of our public field; and they regularly fly over the runway or directly above people in the area; I guess flying away from a conflicting entity would be to reasonable for these folks who appear to have no interest in the flying rules and therefore no interest in AMA. Truth be told, quadcopters are more of a photographers friend than a flying experience. Just my 2 cents.
U are correct but do U go talk to these Droners and try to educate them ... The public the FAA the AMA News media the Hobby shops hobby King and everyone concerned with the education of anyone flying Quads (DRONES) has done a very lousy job of educating them when where & how and WHY it is good practice to know the answers to these questions and to follow the rules FAR's and Safety Code. Not being critical of U but we all have done little but ***** instead of getting people educated..
Old 12-11-2015, 08:33 PM
combatpigg

I've told U that I checked my post URL to see if it went to the Drone magazine and it went directly to my Mail Box so I deleted and tried again and it did the same thing. So when procia83 copied it to a new post I asked him to delete it because it went directly to my Email and not the Drone magazine as intended. so to stop it from going to m email I copied his post to ask him to delete it. then in my copy of his post with the URL in it I changed .Com to .XXX but it still went to my email. Then U must have clicked on it and it went to your email it looks like what ever it is it goes directly to anyone's email that tries it. That's all I know so believe it or not that's the truth. Besides I'm not computer Literate to do what ever U think I did. Ask some one else to attempt to use it to and see if it goes to Yours or their email and not yours..
It sounds like you've got nothing to hide and nothing else to explain to me..
Old 12-11-2015, 08:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hold on...although this isn't the topic of the thread, someone here decided to start throwing out hysterical accusations and drag me into this personality clash. HD you might have thought you asked me to change a post but I assure you that didn't happen. Not by PM, and not in the comment section here. I went back and checked here, as well as the e--mail subscription notices we get. I saw the link, and publicly told you it was wrong. By the time I hit reply on the note, you had already figured out the error, and corrected it. I went back and again..publicly noting you had figured out the error. Just want to make that clear, I have made that clear to the other party and suggested a redaction of the allegation, but it's doubtful that party will do anything.

For the record, I don't think you did anything intentionally wrong. To think you would have access to anyone's e-mail address here is as far fetched as it gets, and oddly enough the unfounded accusations of that are actionable. But anyway, just wanted to clarify that for the "record".
Old 12-11-2015, 08:54 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
Hold on...although this isn't the topic of the thread, someone here decided to start throwing out hysterical accusations and drag me into this personality clash. HD you might have thought you asked me to change a post but I assure you that didn't happen. Not by PM, and not in the comment section here. I went back and checked here, as well as the e--mail subscription notices we get. I saw the link, and publicly told you it was wrong. By the time I hit reply on the note, you had already figured out the error, and corrected it. I went back and again..publicly noting you had figured out the error. Just want to make that clear, I have made that clear to the other party and suggested a redaction of the allegation, but it's doubtful that party will do anything.

For the record, I don't think you did anything intentionally wrong. To think you would have access to anyone's e-mail address here is as far fetched as it gets, and oddly enough the unfounded accusations of that are actionable. But anyway, just wanted to clarify that for the "record".
Got it thanks ... combat sent this "It sounds like you've got nothing to hide and nothing else to explain to me.. so i hope things are all copacetic now ...
Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 AM
garlandk
My Feedback: (4)

I will say there needs to be no separation between FPV/drone aircraft and tradional modelers. I will say there needs to be seperate on the commercial side of things.

Both parts use very similar equipment. Both parts fly and is controlled by a RC remote. We have to accept new technology coming in.

Now I do agree the AMA needs to step up and say a bit more about our tradional modelers and the record we hold so far. I also agree the AMA needs to chill out on ads about drones.

I fly tradional model aircraft both via FPV and without FPV. It's the same plane but occasionally a camera is strapped to it. Same goes to my planes with autopilots in them. I find it more of a hobby going out and tuning autopilots to perform auto landings and take offs.

Horizon recently came out with a tradional model that has the ability to perform an Autolanding. Does that make it a drone or tradional aircraft?

Many people complain about people strapping guns or flame throwers to quad copters, but many people in the past that flown tradional models strapped rockets and explosives to their aircraft. One guy strapped a shot gun to a helicopter. This was before the word drone came up. I agree all of these things are bad. But we can't start slamming a quadcopter for doing it when our own has done it before.

About flying near airports. I agree people probably have done it but I don't feel there has been that many sightings. When I am flying in the Cessna 182 and I go by a decent size bird it looks like a blur for the most part... Couldn't imagine what it looks like in an airliner.

It's a tough situation the AMA is in and the FAA is in the same boat. I feel if tradional model flying took off like the "drone" business we would be in the same boat with idiots doing stupid things.... As technology advances the easier it is to fly these models.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Slow and Steady

HoundDog, Sure, over the years I have spoken to many folks, who ignore the rules, including traditional fixed wing rc pilots. But the quadcopter folks seam oblivious to the rules and safety, don't mix, but usually bring their own small cadre of friends, hence flying from a distant location, like the parking lot and with a total disregard for common sense safety. We had one guy using FPV technology from 100 yards away and flying his quadcopter down the center of the road and 8 feet above us. Some will take off in their designated area and then fly in our airspace; and due to their size, they are hard to keep track of. Incidentally, don't take this the wrong way, but down here in South Florida, as in some other areas of the country, telling anyone the rules comes at your own peril. Many have tried being a designated safety officer and quit after a day or two. The rule breakers can be aggressive and respond as though you are picking on them; though, this includes regular fixed wing folks as well. I am sure, that not having spent much time at an RC field, the quadcopter guys, particularly have no concept of danger or care to believe it.

Something that may be missed here, is that quad copters can be flown anywhere, unlike fixed wing, which usually require a designated and most often sanctioned flying field that likely requires AMA membership. Do the quadcopter folks really have a compelling reason to join AMA?

Someone also said we are all drone flyers. That is why I refer to them as quadcopters. When is the last time a fixed wing RC plane flew near a real manned aircraft? At our field we usually recognize the danger to a low flying cessna. And word is spread as it approaches and we typically stay well away. Dito quadcopter pilots?
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by garlandk
I will say there needs to be no separation between FPV/drone aircraft and tradional modelers. I will say there needs to be seperate on the commercial side of things.

Both parts use very similar equipment. Both parts fly and is controlled by a RC remote. We have to accept new technology coming in.

Now I do agree the AMA needs to step up and say a bit more about our tradional modelers and the record we hold so far. I also agree the AMA needs to chill out on ads about drones.

I fly tradional model aircraft both via FPV and without FPV. It's the same plane but occasionally a camera is strapped to it. Same goes to my planes with autopilots in them. I find it more of a hobby going out and tuning autopilots to perform auto landings and take offs.

Horizon recently came out with a tradional model that has the ability to perform an Autolanding. Does that make it a drone or tradional aircraft?

Many people complain about people strapping guns or flame throwers to quad copters, but many people in the past that flown tradional models strapped rockets and explosives to their aircraft. One guy strapped a shot gun to a helicopter. This was before the word drone came up. I agree all of these things are bad. But we can't start slamming a quadcopter for doing it when our own has done it before.

About flying near airports. I agree people probably have done it but I don't feel there has been that many sightings. When I am flying in the Cessna 182 and I go by a decent size bird it looks like a blur for the most part... Couldn't imagine what it looks like in an airliner.

It's a tough situation the AMA is in and the FAA is in the same boat. I feel if tradional model flying took off like the "drone" business we would be in the same boat with idiots doing stupid things.... As technology advances the easier it is to fly these models.
A reasoned and appropriate approach and perspective!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 AM
porcia83
Banned

HoundDog, Sure, over the years I have spoken to many folks, who ignore the rules, including traditional fixed wing rc pilots. But the quadcopter folks seam oblivious to the rules and safety, don't mix, but usually bring their own small cadre of friends, hence flying from a distant location, like the parking lot and with a total disregard for common sense safety. We had one guy using FPV technology from 100 yards away and flying his quadcopter down the center of the road and 8 feet above us. Some will take off in their designated area and then fly in our airspace; and due to their size, they are hard to keep track of. Incidentally, don't take this the wrong way, but down here in South Florida, as in some other areas of the country, telling anyone the rules comes at your own peril. Many have tried being a designated safety officer and quit after a day or two. The rule breakers can be aggressive and respond as though you are picking on them; though, this includes regular fixed wing folks as well. I am sure, that not having spent much time at an RC field, the quadcopter guys, particularly have no concept of danger or care to believe it.

Something that may be missed here, is that quad copters can be flown anywhere, unlike fixed wing, which usually require a designated and most often sanctioned flying field that likely requires AMA membership. Do the quadcopter folks really have a compelling reason to join AMA?

Someone also said we are all drone flyers. That is why I refer to them as quadcopters. When is the last time a fixed wing RC plane flew near a real manned aircraft? At our field we usually recognize the danger to a low flying cessna. And word is spread as it approaches and we typically stay well away. Dito quadcopter pilots?
Two quick things.....I have no stats to back this up, but I have to wonder if there aren't more people flying fixed wing and helis at places that are not chartered fields. Lot of folks here note they don't belong to clubs, and I know several places within a few miles of where I live that people fly but it's not a club. I think a club is the best place to fly, but I don't always fly at one. So outside of the ability for a MR to rise vertically, and a plane not, all types of aircraft can fly at most places. As for compelling reasons to join the AMA, I'd go back to the earlier point, if people can fly where they want without having to join a club, I guess the same thing could be asked about fixed wing/heli folks having a compelling reason to join. There are many reasons for both kinds of pilots to join, sometimes it's a requirement, other times it's a personal choice. People get different things from the AMA, I happen to love the MA mag, others can't stand it. The term "your mileage may vary" comes to mind.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by garlandk
Not looking to parse words here , but ,

Your use of FPV/Drone , as though they are one in the same , is at odds with the conversation . To most , according to CJ Rumley's "what's the difference between a drone and a model aircraft ?" thread , a drone and AMA doc. # 550 condoned FPV are NOT one in the same , but instead two separate modes of flight . To me , # 550 Condoned FPV is included in model aircraft operations specifically because the AMA has laid out a set of guidelines for using camera equipment safely on model aircraft . Drone operations begin when the craft leaves it's operator's line of sight , OR has some other mission attached other than the fun of flying the craft .

In short , I believe it should be considered that # 550 FPV is a subcatagory of model aviation , whereas Drone operations are a truly separate flight mode having no connection to traditional model aircraft/FPV . You will note that neither the "beyond line of sight" nor the "for fun only" descriptors specifically call out the configuration of the airframe , as physical construction has no place in the determination between Model Aircraft and Drone . Yes indeed , a Quad flown line of sight at an RC field IS a model aircraft and an FPV equipped Easystar that's flown beyond line of sight IS a Drone . Of course , to the non flying public , ALL multirotors are Drones , thanks to the education on the subject they have gotten from the 6:00 news ........
Old 12-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Krumpel

The same drivel posted over and over. Its like the HLN endless pseudo-news garbage cycle in a forum that should be above such stupidity.

And its always the SAME people posting the SAME DRIVEL Then again, the drivel posters prolly LOVE the HLN swill.

Go figure...
Old 12-12-2015, 01:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

It's always the same people driveling on about the same people posting drivel over and over. It's like a weird irony laced circular logic post that never quite hits home. Luckily posts like the one above elevate the thread and help it rise above the level of stupidity I guess.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:31 PM
garlandk
My Feedback: (4)

I feel this is just a new part in our hobby.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:50 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's always the same people driveling on about the same people posting drivel over and over. It's like a weird irony laced circular logic post that never quite hits home. Luckily posts like the one above elevate the thread and help it rise above the level of stupidity I guess.

It is the hobby for at least a few.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:04 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Krumpel
The same drivel posted over and over. Its like the HLN endless pseudo-news garbage cycle in a forum that should be above such stupidity.

And its always the SAME people posting the SAME DRIVEL Then again, the drivel posters prolly LOVE the HLN swill.

Go figure...
Hey there Drivel lips , I musta missed it , but whose sock are you anyway ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.