Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Renegade_2k
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya know, after all the crap I’ve read in the Forums and in News Websites about “drones” recently, I have to admit, I’ve been a bit upset that the Hobby I’ve enjoyed all my life has finally reached the point of disruption, and being regulated by the Government because of a bunch of ne'er-do-well’s.

FINALLY, I feel a lot better! Dang near ecstatic!

Although I now have to register myself, and my legacy RC Stuff, with the FAA, that’s ok. I know can behave and play by the rules when I’m flying.. I always have. But for those who cannot.. here’s a little something for you!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/battle-innovations-anti-drone-gun/

Exquisitely designed, small, easily transportable, shoulder mount operation, short range, efficient, and cost effective for Law Enforcement.

For those bigger issues, with active monitoring and optional interdiction of a much larger area, there is a more eloquent solution. It seems the Brits are a bit more aggressive about this drone situation than those of us in the States. They give you this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSNAJrz0Xug For more information, please see their website here.. http://www.blighter.com/products/blighter-auds-anti-uav-defence-system.html

Ruggedized construction, scalable, early warning with active tracking and interdiction. Non-lethal deployment and operation, and able to gather and record evidence against the offending operator(s). Designed with the Military and large Government or Civilian entities in mind. I also understand that COTS Pricing is available..

I have to tell you, I’ve actually seen a few of these units mounted to HMMWV’s and other Tactical Vehicles here in CONUS. I had NO IDEA what I was looking at, and did not ask. Now I know.. (and knowing is half the battle! Go JOE!!) I'm sure that there are many more being operationally tested now that the SHTF.

Suffice to say, Uncle Sam is obviously serious about security, and a bit fed up with all the drone BS.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Renegade_2k; 01-06-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sign this petition please..
https://www.change.org/p/ama-members...iation-and-ama
Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Renegade_2k
Ya know, after all the crap I’ve read in the Forums and in News Websites about “drones” recently, I have to admit, I’ve been a bit upset that the Hobby I’ve enjoyed all my life has finally reached the point of disruption, and being regulated by the Government because of a bunch of ne'er-do-well’s.

FINALLY, I feel a lot better! Dang near ecstatic!

Although I now have to register myself, and my legacy RC Stuff, with the FAA, that’s ok. I know can behave and play by the rules when I’m flying.. I always have. But for those who cannot.. here’s a little something for you!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/battle-innovations-anti-drone-gun/

Exquisitely designed, small, easily transportable, shoulder mount operation, short range, efficient, and cost effective for Law Enforcement.

For those bigger issues, and active monitoring and interdiction of a larger area, there is a more eloquent solution. It seems the Brits are a bit more aggressive about this drone situation than those of us in the States. They give you this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8aZ0zWX3SA For more information, please see their website here.. http://www.blighter.com/products/blighter-auds-anti-uav-defence-system.html

Ruggedized Construction, scalable, early warning and active tracking and interdiction. Non-lethal to deploy, and able to gather and record evidence against the offending operator(s). I also understand that COTS Pricing is available.

I have to tell you, I’ve actually seen a couple of these units, mounted to HMMWV’s here in CONUS. I had NO IDEA what I was looking at, and did not ask. Now I know.. (and knowing is half the battle! Go JOE!!) I'm sure that there are many more being operationally tested now.

Suffice to say, Uncle Sam is obviously serious about security, and a bit fed up with all the drone BS.

Enjoy!

Greatest Idea Yet If it wasn't Faked. Now we can have a Fed stationed as fare as these Drone Deveriter devices range is, Say every Quarter mile so to keep DRONES off every active approach path for 5 miles from the end and departure end of runways at quarter mile intervals that would require 4x5x2 = 80 weapons and 240 officers to use them 24/7/365 will require 3 or more shifts/day. Now times 500+ commercial airports throughout the USA that's 500 x 80 = 200,000 weapons and 600,000 officers to make it work Effectively. at a cost of WHAT? U think the FAA could get a discount on 200,000 + spares?

That'll take care of these Drones interfering with Air Commerce in the goold USA. Not too cost effective but it the Government, Their funds are Inexhaustible ... LOL.
OH did I thank U for including the URL's

Here's another good URL
Count Down timer Till FAA Mandatory Registration:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...ion&font=serif

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-09-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Vettster
Your petition doesn't make any sense. Model airplanes ARE drones,.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
No they are not. Only an FPV'er would say that. We all know what a drone is..
Old 01-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

We all know what a drone is..
Therein lies the problem. In fact, the last time I read the petition it didn't even define what a drone is.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Although there are some that will stretch the meaning of the word drone so thin that it breaks in the middle , I've always favored ;

Does it have the ability to be effectively flown beyond It's operator's line of sight ? It's a drone .

Must it be kept in it's operators sight at all times due to not having the physical ability to be flown BLOS ? It's a model aircraft .

Note that there is purposefully no mention of type of aircraft because your LOS only multicopter most certainly IS a model aircraft , and your FPV equipped Easystar most certainly IS a drone !

Many will take umbrage with my simple definition of the difference between model aircraft VS drone , but to me sometimes things don't need to be all that complicated . In a nutshell ;

"It ain't the metal , it's the mission"

Happy Flying
Old 01-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

Obviously we do not. It is any radio controlled craft. It's just that the newer camera equiped MR's are causing a problem. The FAA considers all a drone or sUAV.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Although there are some that will stretch the meaning of the word drone so thin that it breaks in the middle , I've always favored ;

Does it have the ability to be effectively flown beyond It's operator's line of sight ? It's a drone .

Must it be kept in it's operators sight at all times due to not having the physical ability to be flown BLOS ? It's a model aircraft .

Note that there is purposefully no mention of type of aircraft because your LOS only multicopter most certainly IS a model aircraft , and your FPV equipped Easystar most certainly IS a drone !

Many will take umbrage with my simple definition of the difference between model aircraft VS drone , but to me sometimes things don't need to be all that complicated . In a nutshell ;

Happy Flying
Really why does it matter. Officially for over a decade now the FAA has considered all sUAV and lumped all under one category. Recreational sUAV.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Vettster

Really why does it matter. Officially for over a decade now the FAA has considered all sUAV and lumped all under one category. Recreational sUAV.
Because it says so on the back of my shirt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	2140532  
Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Because it says so on the back of my shirt
Ha...that is great...you should hand that out as a business card too!
Old 01-09-2016, 05:16 PM
HoundDog

Your petition doesn't make any sense. Model airplanes ARE drones,

And there In Lies our problems. if the FAA would consider Multi Rotor Craft as the Only DRONES, Like every one I have ever talked to that is not familiar with regular R/C and Brain washed with all the HYPE caused by the AMA trying to preempt the FAA with regulating Traditional R/C TOYS.
It's not Traditional R/C TOYs nor QUADS flown at registered R/C Fields. U now this I know it the FAA knows it but the AMA and congress Ped them off and now they will not back down. Now how do we get the FAA to refer to Quad or Multi Rotors Only are DRONES nt our R/C TOYS.
Count Down timer Till FAA Mandatory Registration:

Old 01-09-2016, 05:59 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Happy Flying
Because when folks are sittin around BSing about what the word drone means , I figure my input is just as good as yours is , Sport ......

And I believe Vettster oughta have the right to dope slap anyone who asks if it's a drone !

So There ......
Old 01-09-2016, 07:16 PM
HoundDog

Because when folks are sittin around BSing about what the word drone means , I figure my input is just as good as yours is , Sport ......

And I believe Vettster oughta have the right to dope slap anyone who asks if it's a drone !

So There ......
Unfortunately the Only definition of "DRONE" That a Pinch Of Sheite to any one is the FAA and the FAA has spoken. U may not have to Like it but TS.

Go Register soon avoid the rush in just:

Old 01-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Rob2160

Do we?

I suggest that you check the dictionary definition of "Drone" as it relates to flying machines and post the result here.

You might be surprised and the word 'Drone' existed with this definition long before multi rotors hit the hobby scene.

Try here for starters...

http://www.yourdictionary.com/drone

Popular Science Magazine, November 1946... 'Drones, as the radio controlled aircraft are called...'

Interesting eytmology too. The word Drone was first applied to fixed wing radio controlled aircraft 80 years ago.

In 1935, U.S. Adm. William H. Standley saw a British demonstration of the Royal Navy's new remote-control aircraft for target practice, the DH 82B Queen Bee. Back stateside, Standley charged Commander Delmer Fahrney with developing something similar for the Navy. "Fahrney adopted the name 'drone' to refer to these aircraft in homage to the Queen Bee,"

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-10-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Unfortunately the Only definition of "DRONE" That a Pinch Of Sheite to any one is the FAA and the FAA has spoken. U may not have to Like it but TS.

Go Register soon avoid the rush in just:

Doggie, You having a bad day?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Do we?

I suggest that you check the dictionary definition of "Drone" as it relates to flying machines and post the result here.

You might be surprised and the word 'Drone' existed with this definition long before multi rotors hit the hobby scene.

Try here for starters...

http://www.yourdictionary.com/drone

Popular Science Magazine, November 1946... 'Drones, as the radio controlled aircraft are called...'

Interesting eytmology too. The word Drone was first applied to fixed wing radio controlled aircraft 80 years ago.

In 1935, U.S. Adm. William H. Standley saw a British demonstration of the Royal Navy's new remote-control aircraft for target practice, the DH 82B Queen Bee. Back stateside, Standley charged Commander Delmer Fahrney with developing something similar for the Navy. "Fahrney adopted the name 'drone' to refer to these aircraft in homage to the Queen Bee,"
This is a club in CT that was formed back in the 30's but changed their name to include the term "drone"...back in the 50's!

http://www.flynedsrc.org/

They allow helis, not sure about "drones".
Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Doggie, You having a bad day?
Ya How can U tell but Thanks for asking, Crashed 2 planes to day a students Old Junk and My Cub ... OH well their fixable and there are a lot more where these came from. Last count I had 10 here and 33 at Home. Any ways http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...ion&font=serif
Old 01-10-2016, 06:14 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
This is a club in CT that was formed back in the 30's but changed their name to include the term "drone"...back in the 50's!

Maybe they did it to satisfy some new FAA rule they got wind of.

Mike
Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by porcia83

LOL, wow those guys had foresight! I just read the club history. Very cool.

They must be chuckling to themselves about the sudden popularity (infamy) of the word "Drone".
Old 01-10-2016, 07:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Right? They even had an article on them in the MA mag from 1938!! Another thing that stuck out at me in their history was the one fateful interaction with a non member, and how that could have taken a far worse turn than in it did. Even back then things were precarious for clubs, and it's just as important today to realize that when someone who is not a member of the club stops by to check things out. Depending on how that person is greeted, it could turn out to be they become the clubs best friend, or potential nightmare.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Maybe they did it to satisfy some new FAA rule they got wind of.

Mike

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j3-lIOO5KYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-10-2016, 12:37 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Here we go AGAIN with this "drone" = ONLY "multi-rotor hovering and flying apparatus" non-sense.

Once more, I can see someone who doesn't know jack about RC thinking this, 'cause all the ads they see (like Horizon Hobby's ads in the AMA magazine) that show multi-rotor contraptions call them "drones." But folks who've been around RC should know better. RC flying apparatus = sUAS = "drone" as far as the FAA - and FAA registration (with stipulations) - is concerned.

Tell you what: if the FAA shows up and you're flying your RC jet, tell him it's not a "drone"...and even better tell him that because YOU'VE deemed it's not a "drone" (because it's not a multi-rotor hovering and flying contraption, it's a JET!) you don't need to register. Heck, it may work out real well for you. Plunk down $27,500 and go for it!

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 01-11-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:45 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Just a bunch of trouble making multi rotor #!!$$ that love seeing us all linked into your shenanigans!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hairy46
Just a bunch of trouble making multi rotor #!!$$ that love seeing us all linked into your shenanigans!
Now now....these are all multi-rotors...........think this guy is a trouble maker? He's been AMA for over 30 years and is every bit a master craftsman as a balsa scratch-builder.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OttoAll3Thumb.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	748.0 KB
ID:	2140743  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.