Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:01 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...mode=fullstory

MIke
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	doc57072a26c78e91792992921.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	2156541  

Last edited by rcmiket; 04-09-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow 03/15/16 to 04/09/16 with no input I thought guys either died or found a secreat palce to whine without me LOL
Time period between March 15, 2016 and April 10, 2016 (inclusive) equals to:
  • 27 days
  • ... or 3 weeks & 6 days
Between March 15, 2016 and April 10, 2016 (inclusive) there are:
  • 19 working days (152 hours),
  • 8 non-working days including:
    • 4 Saturdays,
    • 4 Sundays,
    • 0 federal holidays falling on weekdays
The numbers of weeks, months and years are rounded down to the nearest full value. The number of days is always exact.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:39 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

HD, I had hoped that people got smarter on 3/15 and dropped this absurd discussion.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:52 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
HD, I had hoped that people got smarter on 3/15 and dropped this absurd discussion.
Nope, the discussion will never end as long as MR are around. There will always be a group of people that will pine away for the good old days when traditional modeling didn't include MR, and the AMA was I guess a great organization because they didn't embrace MR. Meanwhile, MR usage will continue to grow, and hopefully the AMA membership as well.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:15 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I "got smarter" and decided no longer will be involved with the mindless banter but will post links to pertinent content pertaining to this issue as a FYI.

Mike
Old 04-10-2016, 06:26 AM
HoundDog

Don't fool you selves. No one has gotten any smarter. The first time someone posts something U don't like or criticizes some ones post it will start all over again. It's just human nature else No one would post that they aren't going to engage in the rhetoric, when they know damn well they can't resist ... New Post how wrong I am and prove my Point. PLZ
Old 04-10-2016, 06:32 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Don't fool you selves. No one has gotten any smarter. The first time someone posts something U don't like or criticizes some ones post it will start all over again. It's just human nature else No one would post that they aren't going to engage in the rhetoric, when they know damn well they can't resist ... New Post how wrong I am and prove my Point. PLZ
Your not wrong but here's where I am. I could care less what anyone posts or thinks about what I post. I'm just playing with my toys and enjoying the hobby for what it is...... a hobby. My last few posts are just links to articles relevant to the state of the hobby and where it's heading. Just FYI's to those who care and wish to be informed. Nothing more.

Mike
Old 04-10-2016, 06:42 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Your not wrong but here's where I am. I could care less what anyone posts or thinks about what I post. I'm just playing with my toys and enjoying the hobby for what it is...... a hobby. My last few posts are just links to articles relevant to the state of the hobby and where it's heading. Just FYI's to those who care and wish to be informed. Nothing more.

Mike
Mikie: thanks that was very Informative LOL U just proved My Point we are all HOOKED Hook Line and Sinker ... Any one else?

Any way on a more serious Note Might be coming through ElPaso next Friday or Saturday Where is your field Like to see it May be put up a flight or two. What ya think?
U aren't still working for a living?

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-10-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 AM
rcmiket

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=1416

Normally tied up on Saturdays but free on Fridays. Either way your welcome to fly at either field. The second one listed is the normally the weekday and Sat place to be and the first is the Sunday Field.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 04-10-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 AM
HoundDog

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=1416

Normally tied up on Saturdays but free on Fridays. Either way your welcome to fly at either field. The second one listed is the normally the weekday and Sat place to be and the first is the Sunday Field.

Mike
I Like to leave at midnight (No use wasting 6 hours sleeping) so Friday morning at field 2 or 1 around 7:30 to 8:30 If I can make it PM me with your Cell or call 936-827-5401 Just have to see how things work out. Trying to go to Lackland AFB, Austin and BarksDale AFB in Bossier City LA for a Hound Dog reunion, Probably be the last one. Lots of guys dieing off. Then home for the summer. Pics from a big gird fly we had at Superstition Air Park Apache Junction AZ.
No 1 One manes Toys
No 2 Same mans toys had 5 choppers
No 3 B-29 Crashed on Landing
No 4 Billy Hempel's 60% Super Cub
No 5 B-29 Nose Art
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1627.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	847.8 KB
ID:	2156618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1,000.8 KB
ID:	2156619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	802.6 KB
ID:	2156620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	910.9 KB
ID:	2156621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1651.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	725.9 KB
ID:	2156622  
Old 04-10-2016, 10:26 AM
rcmiket

I Like to leave at midnight (No use wasting 6 hours sleeping) so Friday morning at field 2 or 1 around 7:30 to 8:30 If I can make it PM me with your Cell or call 936-827-5401 Just have to see how things work out. Trying to go to Lackland AFB, Austin and BarksDale AFB in Bossier City LA for a Hound Dog reunion, Probably be the last one. Lots of guys dieing off. Then home for the summer. Pics from a big gird fly we had at Superstition Air Park Apache Junction AZ.
No 1 One manes Toys
No 2 Same mans toys had 5 choppers
No 3 B-29 Crashed on Landing
No 4 Billy Hempel's 60% Super Cub
No 5 B-29 Nose Art
Weathers been hit or miss as far as the wind so I'll PM you as the week progresses.

Mike
Old 04-10-2016, 01:46 PM
HoundDog

Weathers been hit or miss as far as the wind so I'll PM you as the week progresses.

Mike
Friday and Sunday are the first rain we've had in 55 days. Gona be there anyway I hope. Passing through. Play it all by ear.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 AM
MTIPilot
My Feedback: (121)

Yes, the AMA was dead wrong. But it looks like Brown and company are still trying to "embrace" them with the "Drones Are Good" program. I guess he's more than willing to forsake the freedom of traditional model aircraft flyers to gain what I think he perceives as more members. Well, I have news for him, the majority of the autonomous drone operators who are causing trouble, aren't going to join the AMA. In fact, they probably don't even know what the AMA is! It's a fad for them and after they've left a wake of destruction, they'll be off to something else and will cause trouble there as well.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by MTIPilot
Yes, the AMA was dead wrong. But it looks like Brown and company are still trying to "embrace" them with the "Drones Are Good" program. I guess he's more than willing to forsake the freedom of traditional model aircraft flyers to gain what I think he perceives as more members. Well, I have news for him, the majority of the autonomous drone operators who are causing trouble, aren't going to join the AMA. In fact, they probably don't even know what the AMA is! It's a fad for them and after they've left a wake of destruction, they'll be off to something else and will cause trouble there as well.
Beat a dead horse. The FAA sees no difference, they are all recreational radio control, The AMA membership should grow when the quad flyers realize they will have greater freedom using AMA membership.

Get with the program. That horse is dead.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:53 AM
MTIPilot

Yes, unfortunately it may be a dead horse as you call it. Know matter what, the AMA never took the initiative on the outset to create the distinction between traditional model aircraft flying and autonomous drones. That's why we have the problems we have, make sense? If anyone needs to get with the program, it's you. You may loose a lot of freedoms to fly because of the AMA's mistake. Now how can you get with the program? Write your senator and explain the dramatic differences between autonomous drones that practically anyone can fly and model aircraft that require some skill and training and the fact that traditional models fly LINE OF SIGHT which is a key difference. Hope I was able to educate you and maybe you too can make a difference instead of throwing nasty comments around. Now maybe of course that Fokker Triplane picture is just a ruse and your a autonomous drone operator! I'm still not giving up on you 'cause here's what you can do. Police your drone world and be vigilant of those who do foolish things. In the end, it's your freedoms that will be lost as well if your not proactive. Hope this helps.

Last edited by MTIPilot; 04-11-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

The horse has been dead since 2009 when the UAS Rulemaking committee came out with their recommendations and included their definition of "model aircraft". That definition includes quad copters.

http://hse-uav.com/uas_aviation_rulemaking_committe.htm

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 04-11-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

You should know that anyone not flying LOS is flying illegal unless flying with a commercial license.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:55 AM
MTIPilot

I have to disagree. The senate passed a bill in 2012 protecting model airplanes. That was in direct response to the 2009 recommendations you posted. So senate support is big. Now, with the FAA's reauthorization bill, new verbiage is being developed. If you write your senator in Georgia, and explain your point of view, maybe model airplanes can catch a break. If you love this hobby as much as I do, it's worth the time and effort.

Last edited by MTIPilot; 04-11-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

That protection included your hated quads. And may no longer be protected.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

It is with this very thought in mind that I created this thread way back on 11/29/15 , and to date after 870 posts and 343 votes , we who believe the AMA is wrong to be "romancing the drone" still number 76.68% to 23.32 % (as of 4/11/16 1:38 EST) . An overwhelming majority , to say the least .

In another thread there is discussion of 400 clubs out of 2500 not renewing their AMA charters . I truly wonder if the subject of this thread has anything to do with those numbers ?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 PM
HoundDog

Yes, unfortunately it may be a dead horse as you call it. Know matter what, the AMA never took the initiative on the outset to create the distinction between traditional model aircraft flying and autonomous drones. That's why we have the problems we have, make sense? If anyone needs to get with the program, it's you. You may loose a lot of freedoms to fly because of the AMA's mistake. Now how can you get with the program? Write your senator and explain the dramatic differences between autonomous drones that practically anyone can fly and model aircraft that require some skill and training and the fact that traditional models fly LINE OF SIGHT which is a key difference. Hope I was able to educate you and maybe you too can make a difference instead of throwing nasty comments around. Now maybe of course that Fokker Triplane picture is just a ruse and your a autonomous drone operator! I'm still not giving up on you 'cause here's what you can do. Police your drone world and be vigilant of those who do foolish things. In the end, it's your freedoms that will be lost as well if your not proactive. Hope this helps.
U are compleatly WRONG ... Think this thru ... The real and Only cause that the FAA has included the Traditional R/C Models in with the DRONES ( When FAA and every one in the world believes the definition of a DRONE as a Quad Copter type) And included Any R/C Toy That Flies is because the AMA Through Congress and Amendment #336 Tried to Preempt the FAA and say they could not make any more laws FAR's concerning model aircraft. Then after the AMA and congress tried to tell the FAA what they could and could not do Remember How that turn out. The FAA got Pissed at congress and through their Interpretation of #336 (remember that interpretation) basically told congress to go F__K them selves. If it had not been For the Amendment #336 the FAA would had never included Traditional Model aircraft in with DRONES / Quads and do what they intended in the first place and gone after the DRONES in conflict with full scale aviation PERIOD. The AMA was in Negotiations with the FAA from at least 2007, Through all the Negotiations the FAA believed that Traditional R/C model were not a problem when flown under the AMA safety code. It's the "Preemptive Strike" that has caused all our problems and it doesn't mean anything If the AMA Endorses DRONES or they Condemn them it makes no difference. The FAA is PISSED and they will never relent they just don't ever relent.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:59 PM
HoundDog

I have to disagree. The senate passed a bill in 2012 protecting model airplanes. That was in direct response to the 2009 recommendations you posted. So senate support is big. Now, with the FAA's reauthorization bill, new verbiage is being developed. If you write your senator in Georgia, and explain your point of view, maybe model airplanes can catch a break. If you love this hobby as much as I do, it's worth the time and effort.
See My Post #781
Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ah geez, I pressed the wrong button and mis-voted. Brain glitch. For the record, MY PERSONAL OPINION is that drones shouldn't have been embraced. Of course, that's just my opinion and in no way should be interpreted as the official policy of any organization in which I am a member.

Regards,

Jim
Old 04-11-2016, 08:06 PM
HoundDog

There ain't one congressman or senator that will ever come to the rescue of #336. The FAA has openly disregarded #336 and If something ever did happen and people died because of a DRONE and congress tried to override the FAA's Interpretation of #336. The FAA has all of congress by the Short Hairs and they know it. Congress just can't afford to counter the FAA and will let it all slide. Proof is as I said Not one in congress has lifted a single fingure to make the FAA obey the Law of congress.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:12 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
Ah geez, I pressed the wrong button and mis-voted. Brain glitch. For the record, MY PERSONAL OPINION is that drones shouldn't have been embraced. Of course, that's just my opinion and in no way should be interpreted as the official policy of any organization in which I am a member.

Regards,

Jim
Jim:
Impressive Credentials but like U said It's still is only an OPINION. One of Many.
Jeti USA Flight Team, Kingtech Turbines, bavarianDEMON / DemonAero team, MKS Servos USA, National Vice-President - Jet Pilots Organization, Jet Team USA - JWM 2015
http://www.espritmodel.com, http://www.kingtechturbines.com,http://www.demonaero.com, http://www.mksservosusa.com,http://www.jetpilots.org, http://www.jwm2015.com/en/start.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.