Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:37 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
See My Post #781
At different periods of time in our US history , it has been illegal to be ;

Drinking a Beer , (Prohabition)

Gambling , (Puritanical "Blue Laws")

A free African , (Slavery)

And many other things due to the definitions thereof by various branches of the US government !

And eventually , your all knowing , all intelligent , and infallible boys on the hill came to see that they were WRONG ! And reversed policy !

Gee , Hound , , , ya think they might be wrong here too ? Or is their 100% spot on record on policy really good enough for you ?

Last edited by init4fun; 04-12-2016 at 03:41 AM. Reason: the dreaded typo monster .....
Old 04-12-2016, 05:00 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun

And many other things due to the definitions thereof by various branches of the US government !

And eventually , your all knowing , all intelligent , and infallible boys on the hill came to see that they were WRONG ! And reversed policy !

Gee , Hound , , , ya think they might be wrong here too ? Or is their 100% spot on record on policy really good enough for you ?
Geez, how stupid can some people be. IT HAS NEVER BEEN ILLEGAL TO BE A FREE AFRICAN IN THIS COUNTRY.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to admit but rgburrill is right. Even at the height of slavery there were free blacks living in the south. (and north of course.). It wasn't illegal to be a free black. The problem was that it was legal to be an enslaved black.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:53 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Geez, how stupid can some people be. IT HAS NEVER BEEN ILLEGAL TO BE A FREE AFRICAN IN THIS COUNTRY.
Ok RG , it was a stretch ,but stupid ? Come on , are you going to call me a "poh poh head" next too ? How's about we leave the childish personal insult stuff out of it and just attack viewpoints , shall we ?

But of the three , yes , it's never been illegal to be a free African , but It's sure been Illegal to drink & gamble , so like the ol Meatloaf song said , "Two outta three ain't bad" .....
Old 04-12-2016, 05:57 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Like I said No one in congress is going to go against the FAA over TOY AIRPLANES, Their are Dumb but they ain't crazy. Toy airplanes ain't a priortry especially since there are so many sightings they just can't chance their career, being on the wrong side if/when some one gets killed. Just don't hold your breath if U believe the FAA will change their Minds. They can only make it a lot worse if they get Pushed. Besides look what else they might have to contend with sooner or Later.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/real-hove...163000320.html

Old 04-12-2016, 05:57 AM
init4fun

And back on point ,

Sorry , but anyone who can't see the difference in LOS only VS BLOS able craft are usually the ones with a vested interest in getting all model aviation lumped in together , whereas those of us with no BLOS plans are the ones who want no part of being lumped in with them .

Flame away , kiddos ......

Last edited by init4fun; 04-12-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Nothing wrong with BLOS aircraft. As long as you fly per AMA 550. Why do you want to tramp down on others freedom in an effort to save your own?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:37 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Nothing wrong with BLOS aircraft. As long as you fly per AMA 550. Why do you want to tramp down on others freedom in an effort to save your own?
By it's very description , #550 does not allow BLOS !

I'm not talking about the millisecond that visual contact is lost as an FPV aircraft passes a pylon in a race , that's not BLOS anymore than when a non FPV craft passes a pylon , I'm talking full on flying far away over neighborhoods when the pilot hasn't actually seen the aircraft for the majority of the flight .

Also , as per #550 , each FPV pylon racer is supposed to have his or her own dedicated spotter , so as long as they have that spotter I'd say flying past a pylon wouldn't be considered as being BLOS by anyone whose not looking to try to twist things to force an agenda . Can you really say BLOS includes a craft passing a pylon Sport ? Really ? If so , your assertion IS just about as silly as my African one was

Last edited by init4fun; 04-12-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:04 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv1654553007drop, colspan: 3"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
AMA Member Call to Action
Dear AMA members,

The U.S. Senate is currently considering amendments to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act of 2016. We need your help today to ensure this proposed legislation fully protects the model aircraft community.

Click here now to urge your Senators to support Senator Inhofe's amendment number 3596 to the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016.

As you know, we are pleased that the Senate's proposed legislation preserves a community-based approach to managing the recreational community by maintaining the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. However, at the same time, we are concerned with additional provisions in this bill that could detrimentally impact our community.

These new provisions would require all UAS, including model aircraft, to meet new FAA design and production standards and impose unnecessary regulation on hobbyists who often build their own models at home. The bill also requires modelers to obtain permission from air traffic control when flying within 5 miles of towered airports which could jeopardize hundreds of existing flying sites. And if passed, the bill would require model aircraft enthusiasts to take an online FAA safety test and carry proof of passing the test when flying. These new directives would undermine the model aircraft activity and detract from the creativity, innovation and enjoyment of the hobby.

By supporting Senator Inhofe's amendment number 3596, you can help stop this from happening. This critical amendment would maintain the basic intent of the Senate's proposed legislation, while lessening the negative impact on the model aircraft community.

As always, thank you for your support of AMA and your efforts to protect our community.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv1654553007drop, colspan: 3"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Mike
Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 PM
rgburrill

And back on point ,

Sorry , but anyone who can't see the difference in LOS only VS BLOS able craft are usually the ones with a vested interest in getting all model aviation lumped in together , whereas those of us with no BLOS plans are the ones who want no part of being lumped in with them .

Flame away , kiddos ......
BLOS started well before MRs were even around, or at least popular. IIRC the first discussion I heard about FPV and BLOS was in the late 90s and was fixed wing pilots, especially warbirds. They wanted to be more like real pilots and go fling off into the wild blue yonder and buzz cattle etc. That's why the models with first camera systems required HAM licenses due to the range needed. That was when the AMA should have put a stop to it. Multirotors are not a lot different than helicopters if you don't consider FPV. And I see no problem with them being part of the AMA if a clamp on FPV had been enacted.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:11 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by rcmiket
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
Dear AMA members,

The U.S. Senate is currently considering amendments to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act of 2016. We need your help today to ensure this proposed legislation fully protects the model aircraft community.

Click here now to urge your Senators to support Senator Inhofe's amendment number 3596 to the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016.

As you know, we are pleased that the Senate's proposed legislation preserves a community-based approach to managing the recreational community by maintaining the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. However, at the same time, we are concerned with additional provisions in this bill that could detrimentally impact our community.

These new provisions would require all UAS, including model aircraft, to meet new FAA design and production standards and impose unnecessary regulation on hobbyists who often build their own models at home. The bill also requires modelers to obtain permission from air traffic control when flying within 5 miles of towered airports which could jeopardize hundreds of existing flying sites. And if passed, the bill would require model aircraft enthusiasts to take an online FAA safety test and carry proof of passing the test when flying. These new directives would undermine the model aircraft activity and detract from the creativity, innovation and enjoyment of the hobby.

By supporting Senator Inhofe's amendment number 3596, you can help stop this from happening. This critical amendment would maintain the basic intent of the Senate's proposed legislation, while lessening the negative impact on the model aircraft community.

As always, thank you for your support of AMA and your efforts to protect our community.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Mike
Hijack! And already in another thread.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:30 PM
HoundDog

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv1654553007drop, colspan: 3"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
Dear AMA members,

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv1654553007drop, colspan: 3"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Mike
Mike My Friend with all do respect what on earth makes anyone think that if the FAA compleatly disregarded #336 and blatantly and compleatly interrupted it compleatly opposite to what Congress and AMA said and ment. In No way is the FAA going to Listen to congress if they disagree with congress. The FAA is like the IRS they don't give a CRAP what congress says. The FAA truly believe they are greater than GOD when it comes to the NAS it belongs to the FAA and U will have to beg to use it.. When are all of us going to realize this.

p.s. see ya about 7:30 Mountain standard time PM me with your cell.

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-12-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:39 PM
HoundDog

BOLOS should be no problem below 400' when kept away from airports and populated areas. Just as Full Scale must maintain an altitude that does not endanger those on the ground. Rattle Snakes, Jack Rabbits and coyotes be damed.

I'd like to Hunt Cyoties with an FPV equiped Gun Toten Fully armed A-10 or P-47. Just think a miny GAU-8 firing 30 caliber instead of 30 MM. Teare them Cyots a new one Jacks too. Man bet this rilies feathers andthe do gooders amung us. Burrrrrrrrp goes the GAU-8

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-12-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:09 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Hijack! And already in another thread.
Since when is it hijacking post pertinent information?

Mike
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Rob2160

Have been seeing previews in the last 24 hours on TV about a news story being released tonight at 6pm.

Australia Post are just about to introduce postal delivery drones. This should be interesting. I will post a video of the story here later.

(Channel 7 for any Aussies interested)

Edit - ok here is the video of the "successful trial" - not very confidence inspiring in my opinion -

1. Flimsy looking quad copter - fail. (at least Amazon wants to use serious looking octocopters)
2. Flown Line of Sight with a Spektrum DX6 - Hmmm
3. Package dropped via fishing line?

I am not against this concept at all but c'mon guys, Quad copters with zero redundancy... really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-vW_-T30VQ

Last edited by Rob2160; 04-15-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Have been seeing previews in the last 24 hours on TV about a news story being released tonight at 6pm.

Australia Post are just about to introduce postal delivery drones. This should be interesting. I will post a video of the story here later.

(Channel 7 for any Aussies interested)

Edit - ok here is the video of the "successful trial" - not very confidence inspiring in my opinion -

1. Flimsy looking quad copter - fail. (at least Amazon wants to use serious looking octocopters)
2. Flown Line of Sight with a Spektrum DX6 - Hmmm
3. Package dropped via fishing line?

I am not against this concept at all but c'mon guys, Quad copters with zero redundancy... really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-vW_-T30VQ
Well , I can give them an A for effort , even if the testing involved toy like craft and the silly idea of lowering the cargo with a fishing string . I like to see countries embrace innovation without stomping all over the existing users of the technology , something the US really should look into as well . Here , all the politicians and even the FAA and AMA are all to willing to push the traditional RC user aside in their strive for maximum profit , I guess a well lined pocket being more important that what's right and fair use of something we've used safely for years .

Let me know when your first "air mail" delivery happens
Old 04-15-2016, 04:06 AM
Rob2160

Well , I can give them an A for effort , even if the testing involved toy like craft and the silly idea of lowering the cargo with a fishing string . I like to see countries embrace innovation without stomping all over the existing users of the technology , something the US really should look into as well . Here , all the politicians and even the FAA and AMA are all to willing to push the traditional RC user aside in their strive for maximum profit , I guess a well lined pocket being more important that what's right and fair use of something we've used safely for years .

Let me know when your first "air mail" delivery happens
I definitely will, to be fair this was from the early edition news tonight. The later edition had a longer piece and showed the quad has a fail-safe parachute installed. That helps the safety factor but I still think an Octo is a better choice.

Last edited by Rob2160; 04-15-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM
rcmiket

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/04...ittle_lea.html

On the flip side.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/13/espn-...ne-racing.html

But it will probably be shown at 2AM on ESPN THE OCHO.

https://vimeo.com/12861660

Mike
Old 04-19-2016, 10:37 AM
init4fun

76.79 % in favor of the AMA making a mistake to embrace drones as of 4-19-16 2:37 PM EST ....
Old 04-19-2016, 10:48 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Stats are always interesting.

Some context is in order perhaps?

Over 21,000 views, less than 350 voted, some confirming the question was confusing and they answered it wrong.

185,000 AMA members, lets say for argument sake only the paying/adult members count, so 150,000.

The poll conducted in the AMA forum where the overwhelming percentage of posters are certainly not what could be considered ardent supporters of the the AMA.

It's a single tiny snapshot of a subset of those involved in the hobby. Would anyone be shocked to see completely different numbers if this was run on RCG, or Drone Users Network etc, etc?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Sport_Pilot

76.79 % in favor of the AMA making a mistake to embrace drones as of 4-19-16 2:37 PM EST ....
Which means next to nothing. In fact without drones there would be no AMA.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

That is actually off topic. We are not talking about military drones. The drones we are talking about could only drop off nitro caps for chemical agent, and cherry bombs for explosives.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:30 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Which means next to nothing. In fact without drones there would be no AMA.
Agree on the first sentence, not so much on the second, or are you using the FAA term "drone" to describe all aircraft. Can't deny that MR/Drone usage, popularity, and even AMA membership is up...but certainly not in terms of overall AMA membership.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

By it's very description , #550 does not allow BLOS !

I'm not talking about the millisecond that visual contact is lost as an FPV aircraft passes a pylon in a race , that's not BLOS anymore than when a non FPV craft passes a pylon , I'm talking full on flying far away over neighborhoods when the pilot hasn't actually seen the aircraft for the majority of the flight .

Also , as per #550 , each FPV pylon racer is supposed to have his or her own dedicated spotter , so as long as they have that spotter I'd say flying past a pylon wouldn't be considered as being BLOS by anyone whose not looking to try to twist things to force an agenda . Can you really say BLOS includes a craft passing a pylon Sport ? Really ? If so , your assertion IS just about as silly as my African one was
Init4fun, I admire your patience.
At this late date in 2016 none of this should need to be explained for the umpteenth time.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:25 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Init4fun, I admire your patience.
At this late date in 2016 none of this should need to be explained for the umpteenth time.
Thank You CP , Coming from someone here at RCU that I respect such as you , I really do appreciate that .

I gotta admit , at times I DO like to probe Sport's "devil's advocate" position , I guess I'm just trying to get to an understanding of how such "out there" positions can be formed and advocated . Believe me , there are plenty of times I walk away from the computer , shaking my head , thanking God that he saw fit to make me a Mechanic rather than a Psychologist !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.