Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

" NO RADIO CONTROLLED " of any type to be allowed in Albany Country, NY

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

" NO RADIO CONTROLLED " of any type to be allowed in Albany Country, NY

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:16 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the more reason to Educate the Public & Drone Flyers and as a last resort allow RC flying only at designated R/C Flying sites. These sites could be labeled by the FAA as Alert Areas and charted on Aeronautical sectionals (Airplane Maps).
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/111522/

The AIM's definition of an Alert Area:
------------------------------------------------------------
3-4-6. Alert Areas

Alert areas are depicted on aeronautical charts to inform nonparticipating pilots of areas that may contain a high volume of pilot training or an unusual type of aerial activity. Pilots should be particularly alert when flying in these areas. All activity within an alert area shall be conducted in accordance with CFRs, without waiver, and pilots of participating aircraft as well as pilots transiting the area shall be equally responsible for collision avoidance.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:39 PM
airzona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Just received this message from a fellow club member. It states what the law makers in Albany, New York are proposing. Can not even begin to believe that the attempted controlling of DRONES has come down to putting something like this in the hands of law making idiots !

Their will be a meeting in regards to this proposal next week in Albany. I know that many hobbyists intend to attend the meeting.

Pending local legislation is threatening your right to fly. A newly proposed Albany County law would make it illegal to fly anything"controlled remotely." This includes all remote control airplanes and helicopters! It is critical you understand how such legislation could affect you regardless of where you live.

"Drone" and Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) legislation has proven to easily migrate across New York State. Recently one New York county introduced local UAV legislation because another county 200 miles away had done so, even though the second county's sponsoring legislator admitted she hadn't received drone complaints from her own county residents. Albany County sets the stage for New York State. What is passed in Albany County can quickly be introduced in Rensselaer County, Schenectady County and beyond. Wherever you live.

between this and the fast food/ sugar wars, ny is becoming the California of the east.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by mr_matt
And before anyone misunderstands, my definition of "traditional RC" is someone who flies for the pleasure of watching the aircraft and in some cases controlling it.

In my book, racing quads fit this definition (even though the FPV part of what they do violates FCC regualtion). They are enjoying model aviation.

Flying tripods (aka all of the mainstream camera equipped drones) are NOT traditional RC in my book. I prefer not to go down the regulation toilet with them.
What you describe is similar to how we separate Drones from Model Aircraft in Australia, This has been in place since 2002 and protects the hobbyist from new regulations relating to Commercial UAVs (Drones) also.

I wonder if the AMA has used this as a precedent to support their case to differentiate between the two? i.e. UAVs require licensing, model aircraft do not.

5. DEFINITION OF A MODEL AIRCRAFT

5.1 A model aircraft is any unmanned aircraft, other than a balloon or kite, which is flown for sport or recreational purposes, weighing not more than 150 kg including fuel and equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight.

5.2 A model aircraft flown for any other purpose is covered by the term ‘Unmanned Aerial Vehicle’ (UAV) and is subject to the rules applicable to UAVs.

5.3 A model aircraft is excluded from the vast majority of the regulations applied to other aircraft. For example, there are no requirements for aircraft registration, pilot licensing or aircraft airworthiness certification.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-03-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:38 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Rob2160
What you describe is similar to how we separate Drones from Model Aircraft in Australia, This has been in place since 2002 and protects the hobbyist from new regulations relating to Commercial UAVs (Drones) also.

I wonder if the AMA has used this as a precedent to support their case to differentiate between the two? i.e. UAVs require licensing, model aircraft do not.

5. DEFINITION OF A MODEL AIRCRAFT

5.1 A model aircraft is any unmanned aircraft, other than a balloon or kite, which is flown for sport or recreational purposes, weighing not more than 150 kg including fuel andequipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight.

5.2 A model aircraft flown for any other purpose is covered by the term ‘UnmannedAerial Vehicle’ (UAV) and is subject to the rules applicable to UAVs.

5.3 A model aircraft is excluded from the vast majority of the regulations applied to other aircraft. For example, there are no requirements for aircraft registration, pilot licensing or aircraft airworthiness certification.
Rob-

I like it. Seems very sensible to me in all respects except "weighing not more than 150 kg." That's a big hungus model airplane to me! Frank Tiano is probably packing his bags now to move down under.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That's only 330lbs. It would take one huge model to end up that heavy. Is that all up flying or empty weight?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Rob-

I like it. Seems very sensible to me in all respects except "weighing not more than 150 kg." That's a big hungus model airplane to me! Frank Tiano is probably packing his bags now to move down under.
Yes, they have three sub divisions - under 100 grams - not even classed as a model aircraft, you can fly them anywhere.

100 grams to 25 kg - model aircraft - can be flown at club airfields, local parks etc (depends on the local council regulations also and some restrictions apply, i.e. not during other sporting events).

Above 25 kg - Giant Model aircraft - can be flown at club airfields only.

The full document is here.

Hydro Junkie, re the 150 Kg, your guess is as good as mine as the document actually contradicts itself...

i.e.

5.4 CASA has classified model aircraft by take off weight (excluding fuel)

vs

5.1 A model aircraft is any unmanned aircraft.....weighing not more than 150 kg including fuel.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-03-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:27 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
That's only 330lbs. It would take one huge model to end up that heavy. Is that all up flying or empty weight?
That qualifies as an over weight Ultra Lite or a under Weight (Right at the bottom of the scale) for a Light Sport aircraft. Light Sport requires an "N" Number, Airworthiness certificate, annual inspections and training to operate among other things. An ultra light does not. But again they aren't considered DRONES because they have a human pilot.Maybe if U had some really big servos U could make it a DRONE (UAV). Just saying
Old 12-03-2015, 11:58 PM
ChrisB1

Here in the UK we have 3 classes of model aircraft:

• Under 7kg with limited restrictions
  • 7kg-20kg must have an operational failsafe
  • over 20kg (soon to be 25kg in line with europe) the aircraft must be inspected during its build and signed off and any pilot wishing to fly it must be certified on that aircraft. Any major changes, rebuilds etc need re-inspecting.

Taken from our CAA CAP 658 Document
Definition of a Model Aircraft For the purposes of this document a ‘model aircraft’ is defined as any ‘Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA)’ (0-20 kg) used for sporting and recreational purposes and a ‘large model aircraft’ is defined as any ‘Unmanned Aircraft’ (over 20 kg) used for sporting and recreational purposes.

Legal Definition of a Small Unmanned Aircraft Small Unmanned Aircraft (Article 255) – ‘Any unmanned aircraft, other than a balloon or kite, having a mass of not more than 20 kg without its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight’.

There are then separate definitions and restrictions on 'drones' for leisure and commercial uses. Our laws separate the two.

All aircraft from military and airliner to balloons and paper planes must conform to the following:
'A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.’
'A person must not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person in an aircraft.'
Old 12-04-2015, 12:02 AM
ChrisB1

Forgive my ignorance, but given the unfortunately frequent events that seem to occur across the USA, shouldn't the US lawmakers be focusing on banning things other than flying machines, or am I missing something?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:05 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by ChrisB1
Forgive my ignorance, but given the unfortunately frequent events that seem to occur across the USA, shouldn't the US lawmakers be focusing on banning things other than flying machines, or am I missing something?
Yea like terrorist.

Mike
Old 12-04-2015, 05:49 AM
CB36

George Orwell was right. He only had the year wrong.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:36 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by ChrisB1
Fewer than 10 (Just a number I picked out of the air) have been killed by Model airplanes sUAS's, DONES or any R/C flying objects let's say the last 10 years in the USA. Now 30 to 40 thousand people are killed by cars. others on Motor cycles, Bicycles or just walking. So by this hypothesis we should ban all these too. Like guns, any inanimate object doesn't kill People People Do. it's people that must be educated so as to reduce the possibility of accidents, resulting in Injuries and death. Banning anything doesn't insure that people won't use it for bad. Some Idiot will still do a lot of stupid things.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-04-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Fewer than 10 (Just a number I picked out of the air) have been killed by Model airplanes sUAS's, DONES or any R/C flying objects let's say the last 10 years in the USA. Now 30 to 40 thousand people are killed by cars. others on Motor cycles, Bicycles or just walking. So by this hypothesis we should ban all these too. Like guns, any inanimate object doesn't kill People People Do. it's people that must be educated so as to reduce the possibility of accidents, resulting in Injuries and death. Banning anything doesn't insure that people won't use it for bad. Some Idiot will still do a lot of stupid things.
But you have to remember, it's not the cars that kill people, it's the operator.
In this day and age of cell phones, texting and all the other kinds of "distractions" a driver must deal with, we're probably lucky that the numbers are that low. I did like what I saw in New York state last June. Using a cell phone while driving was a crime with POSSIBLE SUSPENSION OR REVOKING OF LICENSE on a first offense. this was offset by the construction of places set up roadside where you could SAFELY answer texts and make calls while in your vehicle.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:14 AM
ChrisB1

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I absolutely agree with you Houndog. The world would be a better place without people doing stupid things but hay ho.

Things like cars, bikes and obviously walking are useful and worthwhile, as are model aircraft of all sorts of course!

As others have said, education is what its about.
CB
Old 12-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This Ole Retired Corporate pilot just had a brain storm.

Why not just take all of my RC Models and trade them in for an Ultralight.

Far less rules and regulations !
Old 12-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Rob2160

This Ole Retired Corporate pilot just had a brain storm.

Why not just take all of my RC Models and trade them in for an Ultralight.

Far less rules and regulations !
ex Air Crash investigator answers...

Don't do it... in four years of attending fatal aircraft accidents the overwhelming majority of these were in ultralights. A few in Helicopters, gliders and GA aircraft but NONE in Airliners or Corporate Jets.

I now only fly Corporate Jets or in Airliners.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Rob2160
ex Air Crash investigator answers...

Don't do it... in four years of attending fatal aircraft accidents the overwhelming majority of these were in ultralights. A few in Helicopters, gliders and GA aircraft but NONE in Airliners or Corporate Jets.

I now only fly Corporate Jets or in Airliners.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fear not. My statement was only meant to be humorous . Already have over 13,000 accident free hours. Not about ready to ruin my record.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:03 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
But you have to remember, it's not the cars that kill people, it's the operator.
In this day and age of cell phones, texting and all the other kinds of "distractions" a driver must deal with, we're probably lucky that the numbers are that low. I did like what I saw in New York state last June. Using a cell phone while driving was a crime with POSSIBLE SUSPENSION OR REVOKING OF LICENSE on a first offense. this was offset by the construction of places set up roadside where you could SAFELY answer texts and make calls while in your vehicle.
Exactly what I sais I thought ...the same with Guns Drones, sling shots and Hammers.
It's the 'Droner Not the DRONE'.
Just tonight the community of Paradise Valley just past a law banning all DRONE Flying that takes an immediate effect.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...lley/29802117/
Old 12-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Rob2160

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fear not. My statement was only meant to be humorous . Already have over 13,000 accident free hours. Not about ready to ruin my record.
Very happy to hear that...

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-04-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:43 PM
FlyWheel

Damned Yankees! They're always prohibiting stuff!

( )
Old 12-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by FlyWheel
Damned Yankees! They're always prohibiting stuff!

( )
Tell you what Reb, I am not about ready to disagree with you.

Even got so ticked off that they are taking down the Confederate Flag, which I consider part of this nations history, that I went out and bought a Confederate Flag hat. May be that we are Damned Yankees up here, but we are not about ready to erase this countries history.

Some folks call the Confederate Flag the Battle Flag of the South. I "personally" consider it to be the South's National Flag.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:28 PM
cj_rumley

Tell you what Reb, I am not about ready to disagree with you.

Even got so ticked off that they are taking down the Confederate Flag, which I consider part of this nations history, that I went out and bought a Confederate Flag hat. May be that we are Damned Yankees up here, but we are not about ready to erase this countries history.

Some folks call the Confederate Flag the Battle Flag of the South. I "personally" consider it to be the South's National Flag.
With you on that, Granpooba. Son-in-law (and so my grandchildren) are descended from a Confederate Tiger of the 6th Louisiana Volunteers, one of only 23 in his entire regiment that lived to stand with General Lee at the surrender in Appomattox. That flag is a part of family history, none less than the flag my ancestors on the Union side fought under. The war is long over but that does not in any measure justify erasing the history and forgetting those honorable men that served on both sides of the conflict.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Well, don't know for sure but it may
be that the confederate flag might be as offensive
to blacks as the swastika is to jews.
Removing either from public display,
especially gov't and public property, other
than museums perhaps, is
not erasing history. It is a gesture of
respect.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:51 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 804
than museums perhaps, is
respect.
You got a LOT of nerve posting this after the racist drivel you posted in my OBAP thread !

The confederate flag IS offensive but an exclusionary name favoring black folks is NOT offensive ?

So tell me , just how long HAVE your "answers" been based on whom your addressing , instead of being based on fair morals ?

You aren't a politician in real life , are you ? Cause your answers are JUST as slippery slimy as the best of the Washington bunch !
Old 12-06-2015, 07:25 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by 804
than museums perhaps, is
respect.

Originally Posted by init4fun
You got a LOT of nerve posting this after the racist drivel you posted in my OBAP thread !

The confederate flag IS offensive but an exclusionary name favoring black folks is NOT offensive ?

So tell me , just how long HAVE your "answers" been based on whom your addressing , instead of being based on fair morals ?

You aren't a politician in real life , are you ? Cause your answers are JUST as slippery slimy as the best of the Washington bunch !
INIT:
I PMed to keep from getting banished

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.