Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

" NO RADIO CONTROLLED " of any type to be allowed in Albany Country, NY

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

" NO RADIO CONTROLLED " of any type to be allowed in Albany Country, NY

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 03:35 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it went well, wonder what the ultimate vote was, gotta wonder how the person who sponsored this felt after that! Do you have a link to the FB (was there a group or something set up for this)? This might be a good example for other parts of the states.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:02 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
For those who care about the actual topic of this thread, this was posted on FB by a person who was at the meeting Tuesday night:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
This is great news. Great job to all those who worked on this effort.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:17 AM
grasshoper

"That aboy Lurther"!!
Old 12-09-2015, 04:24 AM
rcmiket

For those who care about the actual topic of this thread, this was posted on FB by a person who was at the meeting Tuesday night:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Nice to hear that. Glad they had a turn out and kudos to those that stepped up and took on this issue.

Mike
Old 12-09-2015, 05:49 AM
dingo9882

Keep at it guys!!! Make sure they know we are against this!!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:00 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

"we crushed it. About 100 AMA members showed up and at least 20 spoke. I made a point by point presentation on federal preemption. By the end I didn't hear one legislator willing to vote in favor of this stink bomb. I'm going to FOIL the transcript of the public hearing tomorrow."
I'm awful glad to see that it worked out favorably.

Sorry to sound "uninformed", what's FB?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

Facebook.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:43 AM
sturmovik60

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Guys
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tks porcia, I appreciate it.

(geez, I feel dumb sometimes)
Old 12-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Default Legislation Averted in Albany County NY

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...any-county-ny/
Old 12-09-2015, 02:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

What a great success. People drove hours to get there...and club members, as well as AVPs and the District VP were there as well. I wish either the FB link could be put up, or the story continued to say exactly what happened. I see the issue was "averted"...but how? Was it up for a vote, was it just a discussion period, was the measure shelved etc etc? Would hate to see if come back. Would have loved to have heard what the guy who proposed this had to say about the turnout. What a horribly piece of legislation...so poorly thought out.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Great to see our dues at work!

I'd like more details as well. Amazing what people can do when they put their mind to it and are willing to make personal sacrifices to make things happen. I hope the AMA creates a playbook of how to handle these events so when/if they arise in the future everyone will be prepared to handle these events.

I wonder how many non-AMA members attended?

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 12-09-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I hope the AMA creates a playbook of how to handle these events so when/if they arise in the future everyone will be prepared to handle these events.
Hi Chris ,

Yes , a playbook of possible strategies for challenging such onerous regulation would be a valuable document indeed !

Just for kicks , I searched our list of documents and saw no heading that referred to averting model aircraft bans . Since the future surely holds many more of these type of conflicts a general guideline of defense really should exist if it doesn't already .

PS , if anyone knows of a guideline that I missed , by all means please provide the AMA doc # for all to read . Thank You and Happy Flying ....
Old 12-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Message to all:

Please pass this message along to all club members, so I do not miss anyone.

All
I cannot express enough thanks to everyone who attended Tuesday evening's hearing of the Albany, NY County Legislature, concerning proposed "Drone" legislation. I know many AMA members traveled great distances to attend the hearing in support of our hobby. Our overwhelming standing room only presence, and the testimony of numerous AMA members sent a message, loud and clear! One prominent Albany legislator told me after the hearing that "he learned a lot" and "this legislation is dead." I cannot promise another UAV/Drone bill will not surface in Albany, but be assured we have set the stage for a much brighter outcome and a platform to be heard from. We will continue to monitor for legislation in Albany County and elsewhere. Please help us in being vigilant by forwarding to AMA news of any proposed UAV/Drone type legislation in your area.

Again my thanks and please enjoy the holidays.
Eric

Eric Williams
Vice President, District II
Old 12-09-2015, 05:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

The AMA and it's members in action! One battle won, more to come!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:27 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

I'm so happy to see this proposal tabled and I hope it stays there for good.

I'm not so happy to see that on an issue as important and so potentially harmful to our hobby, apparently no one from AMA national HQ was present. There should have been
Old 12-09-2015, 05:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

I knew an AMA criticism would surface eventually.

I guess the fact that 200 AMA members, and District AVP's, as well as the VP wasn't enough? Now we have to have someone in from the EC every time a town/city proposes something like this? I could hear the complaints about travel expenses now, as if the complaints about the palace they work in and all the perks they get aren't enough. It's not cost effective nor practical to have them attend.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by bokuda
I'm so happy to see this proposal tabled and I hope it stays there for good.

I'm not so happy to see that on an issue as important and so potentially harmful to our hobby, apparently no one from AMA national HQ was present. There should have been
Then there would another 200 pages of complaints about the cost to operate the AMA's private corporate jet. I guess they could have hitchhiked though....
Old 12-09-2015, 06:22 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
I knew an AMA criticism would surface eventually.

I guess the fact that 200 AMA members, and District AVP's, as well as the VP wasn't enough? Now we have to have someone in from the EC every time a town/city proposes something like this? I could hear the complaints about travel expenses now, as if the complaints about the palace they work in and all the perks they get aren't enough. It's not cost effective nor practical to have them attend.
Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Then there would another 200 pages of complaints about the cost to operate the AMA's private corporate jet. I guess they could have hitchhiked though....
Why don't you both just give it a rest. One comment made by one individual. everyone else is really pleased with the outcome on this.

Mike
Old 12-09-2015, 06:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Why don't you both just give it a rest. One comment made by one individual. everyone else is really pleased with the outcome on this.

Mike
Take your own advice for a change eh?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Someone earlier mentioned creating a playbook, but I don't think this is the first time that members have gathered together to have our positions heard. I don't know that all of these efforts will pay off like this one did, but I think a few things worked here that can work elsewhere. Early notice of the proposed legislation, and prompt notification of members and more senior level AMA local staff. Having a show of force in a positive way couldn't have hurt (as the VP noted earlier). I doubt the politicians had seen that kind of turn out for an issue such as this in years.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:56 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Just one question did the AMA and every one else fight for only TRADITIONAL R/C or fight to allow all R/C When done according to the CBO's Safety Code? Just Asking
Old 12-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
Lead by example.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Just one question did the AMA and every one else fight for only TRADITIONAL R/C or fight to allow all R/C When done according to the CBO's Safety Code? Just Asking
I would think the transcript would be publicly available in a few days, hopefully on-line.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:23 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
The AMA and it's members in action! One battle won, more to come!
Yep, that was a close one! Glad that the AMA members in that area were not as apathetic as the 70+% that don't bother to vote. Guess that is what happens when your hobby is REALLY threatened.

Hopefully the AMA will take note and take a more proactive approach so that more clubs do not have to go to the efforts these folks did. I think you mentioned a "playbook" earlier. Maybe the AMA took some notes as to what exactly had the most impact on the town council and double their efforts to get some literature out to the clubs so they can proactively advocate within their communities so this kind of legislation never makes it to the table in the first place.

Regards,

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.