Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pirker did not break any law. It all hinges on what is an airplane. The FAA has been gunning to control RC models for most of this administration. And it is above the FAA or else the NTSB would not have ruled as they did. St
Old 12-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by radfordc
Controllers? So what's the deal with 71 milliseconds? Crash99 said: "71 milliseconds is too short of time to ID it as a bird, balloons or drone."
I thought he was referencing the multitude of reports the FAA gathered and the AMA is contesting as mostly false or misleading, those reports did not come directly from pilots. In some cases pilots did comment to the controller but the controller reported this to the FAA, yet no near miss report.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by crash99
Yes the FAA is over reaching by going after the hobby of RC. But this will not effect control line, string flyers or Free flight.

I understand the FAA also wanted to include teathered flight, blimp on a string but backed off of that group.

I don't think congress approved the FAA to control the air starting 1 inch above the ground.

What I find interesting is it was ok for the FAA to go after the FPV and multirotor group but now when it affects almost everyone in the hobby, now I see the huge amount of post here and on social media.

It does affect control line. I don't think it affects free flight. Maybe we should do a mass free flight event near an airport in protest! LOL
Old 12-15-2015, 01:22 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Pirker did not break any law. It all hinges on what is an airplane.t
OK, he didn't break any laws. But, it still cost him $1100 to be right. For those who intend to fly without registering, how much are you willing to pay to be right?
Old 12-15-2015, 02:03 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Grandpooba. None of the accidents I mentioned were at my club field. Three totally different fields in two different states. Also, after doing this stuff for 60 years, I know a lot of modelers. Word gets around when your friends are involved.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:11 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

OK, he didn't break any laws. But, it still cost him $1100 to be right. For those who intend to fly without registering, how much are you willing to pay to be right?
Oh rest assured those caught would be looking to blame anyone but themselves, and look for ways to resolve the matter rather than paying for an attorney. It's amazing to see the tune changed when faced with huge legal bills.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Pirker did not break any law. It all hinges on what is an airplane. The FAA has been gunning to control RC models for most of this administration. And it is above the FAA or else the NTSB would not have ruled as they did. St
No, he did not break a law per say but he did fall under the FAA's umbrella by flying over buildings, people, and vehicles. Therefore the FAA was within their scope of authority to fine him.
Also, it does not hinge on the definitions of an aircraft. It hinges on the guideline set by congress to be exempt.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:29 PM
acerc

Whatever it cost! It's called freedom, some will fight and some will hide , which will you be?
Old 12-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Rcflyer22407
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per this link, first para, recreation modeling is exempt from registration??? false???

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...t_registry/UA/
Old 12-15-2015, 02:36 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Since we know this has been superseded by yesterdays action, I don;t think I would fall back on the fact they didn't update all of their websites as a defense

Originally Posted by Rcflyer22407
Per this link, first para, recreation modeling is exempt from registration??? false???

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...t_registry/UA/
Old 12-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Rcflyer22407
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for your input....NO DEFENSE intended....just wondering. Don't forget "Only US Citizens" are allowed to
register. So what about the 11 Million Illegals here? This would have been thwarted in the beginning if these drones
were registered when bought...of course if an unregistered drone/UA were to bring down a plane...then what?? Thought
provoking to say the least. Cheers!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:43 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
Another thing to consider, if it is determined the requirement is absolute, You can bet local clubs will have to check for compliance as insurance companies will look for any reason not to pay claims including, an incident while commiting a violation of federal law. Better check AMA's policy, and Your homeowner's. Just a thought.

Well I would have thought this, but yesterday the AMA said that CDs would not need to check for FAA registration compliance, at least not now.

And today they say that if one belongs to the AMA, said member can continue to fly his over 55 pound plane under the AMA LMA/LTMA program, protected by Sec 336.

No need to FAA register an over 55 pound LMA??

Old 12-15-2015, 04:09 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

Oh boy, I see some good deals coming soon to the classified adds LMAO!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:12 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by 108buzz
Oh boy, I see some good deals coming soon to the classified adds LMAO!
Ad I'll be buying, and a few months from now once it is clarified that the FAA does not have this authority those that sold out will be kicking themselves. LOL!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:16 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by r_adical
Since we know this has been superseded by yesterdays action, I don;t think I would fall back on the fact they didn't update all of their websites as a defense
But this latest doesn't supersede congress. Beside all the afore mentioned pages have been updated within the last year according to the bottom of the pages. Therefore even the FAA doesn't know what they are doing! LOL!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:24 PM
EJN

Ad I'll be buying, and a few months from now once it is clarified that the FAA does not have this authority those that sold out will be kicking themselves. LOL!!!
In the case of high-power rocketry, that clarification WRT regulation took 9 years.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:17 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

No 1.67 a year is not a hardship.but the real disgust and anger is that I feel blindsided both by the government and our own ama.I have always felt the drones would be our downfall .at 66 I will comply and feel glad I had nearly 40 years of traditional rc flying without big brother.my fear is this is the tip of the iceberg.I have said many times that ama should have divorced itself from these dam things.unfortnuate lyrics many issues will come about such as privacy.I personally won't let any drone hover on my territory and will do whatever it takes to get rid of it.yup these drones will turn our traditional rc hobby upside down.this is just the start of more regulation.disgusting.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 PM
noworknguy
My Feedback: (197)

FU k the government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
It's my understanding that you have the option to hunt "Upland Birds" without the Federal stamp
Hunting? Did someone say hunting? I LOVE a good hunting trip!!!!

BUT....I need your help....I can't figure out if these are Upland Birds or Migratory Waterfowl and do I need a Federal stamp or FAA registration to hunt them?

Regards,

Astro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FB AMA (3).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2135967  
Old 12-15-2015, 09:57 PM
VULTCH

Youtube has caused us more trouble due to irresponsible actions from stupid people only looking for hits. This is the technology of today. With potential consequences including loss of life of the one performing the video or other bystanders (ie tornado chasing or capturing fires) I can realize the danger of an impact of a quad-copter or other rc controlled aircraft with an object or person.Saying that, I do not like the FAA/DOT having me to register my model aircraft, but by doing so if it saves one innocent life I am more than happy to register.Local law enforcement will be the ones to enforce the law. If I'm flying alone will someone from the local law enforcement ask for my credentials? I hope so because if not this law is only a money scam. When I first started flying model aircraft there were more crashes than successful flights. This was due to skill being learned. Today technology has changed all that. With the drones any kid could take off with a drone and fly it several thousand feet AGL by holding the throttle up. Who knows where it will end up? I don't like all the technology advances we have today, But here we are and we must deal with it. If an EMP from a unfriendly part took all our electricity then where would we be?
We still have the opportunity to enjoy our hobby but we will have to abide by the laws we have. As one lawyer/ Judge said to me "The one that has the most money wins" Do any of us have more money than the Government? I rest my case. Enjoy the hobby
Old 12-16-2015, 05:28 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by acerc
It's not civil disobedience, the FAA can not supersede congress, congress passed the law, as long as we stay within the rules we are exempt from FAA's oversight. FAA agrees with the law congress passed and I would imagine their regulation will reflect this eventually. But in the meantime this is one area where I will not willingly hand over my "congress" given right!!!

I'm going to print a copy and keep it handy and if (I really don't see it happening) I'm ever "interrogated" I'll hand to to the inquiring party. The Law is the Law

Mike
Old 12-16-2015, 05:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by acerc
No, he did not break a law per say but he did fall under the FAA's umbrella by flying over buildings, people, and vehicles. Therefore the FAA was within their scope of authority to fine him.
Also, it does not hinge on the definitions of an aircraft. It hinges on the guideline set by congress to be exempt.
I disagree it was in their scope because it was not protecting navigable airspace. In fact that was what the defense was based on and rather than lose on those grounds the FAA settled out of court and reduced the fine dramatically.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:45 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VULTCH
Do any of us have more money than the Government? I rest my case. Enjoy the hobby
Do you realize WHERE the Government gets its money? (THEY actually have no money unless WE give it to them. THEY do not produce anything.)
Vote with your wallet folks!!

I rest my case!

Astro
Old 12-16-2015, 05:56 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by astrohog
Do you realize WHERE the Government gets its money? (THEY actually have no money unless WE give it to them. THEY do not produce anything.)
Vote with your wallet folks!!

I rest my case!

Astro
I don't believe the issue of whether or not we want to fund the government has ever been on the ballot.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:01 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm going to print a copy and keep it handy and if (I really don't see it happening) I'm ever "interrogated" I'll hand to to the inquiring party. The Law is the Law

Mike
Better be sure that piece of paper will protect you. It might cost you $27,000 if it doesn't.

Last edited by H5487; 12-16-2015 at 06:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.