Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	2135850  
Old 12-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
They can suck it.

**** outta here with their gestapo bvll*****.

No Schit, what's next a 5 day waiting period to buy a Quadcopter..???
Old 12-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
This specific issue has been talked about since October, by us, the FAA, the AMA, and the media. This announcement shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone remotely involved, but the information contained in the release certainly was. Well, to some. Others knew it all along.
I have been following this subject for quite some time now. But it just seems like this Dark Cloud was dropped on us with not even a hint of when it was coming. Even nothing from the AMA.

I have a Airline Transport Rating license number.
I have a United States Air Force serial number.
I have a Social Security number.
I have a License to Carry gun permit number.
All of these numbers were issued by our government and checked thru the FBI.

Now I'm being told that I need a number just to enjoy a hobby that I have been partaking in for over 60 years.

Perhaps somebody can answer a question for me and that is, when will this madness end ?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:27 PM
F-16 viperman

As I've said before, I will comply just so I can fly jet rallys in the future but, I can hardly imagine What The REAL MEN in other RC countries are thinking of us right now! The song AMERICAN IDIOT, by GREEN DAY comes to mind! They're probably having one hell of a laugh at Our expense. I can use the word beautiful twice in the same 3 word sentence "beautiful, F$%king beautiful!"
Old 12-14-2015, 06:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
I have been following this subject for quite some time now. But it just seems like this Dark Cloud was dropped on us with not even a hint of when it was coming. Even nothing from the AMA.

I have a Airline Transport Rating license number.
I have a United States Air Force serial number.
I have a Social Security number.
I have a License to Carry gun permit number.
All of these numbers were issued by our government and checked thru the FBI.

Now I'm being told that I need a number just to enjoy a hobby that I have been partaking in for over 60 years.

Perhaps somebody can answer a question for me and that is, when will this madness end ?
I get the frustration...I really do, and I don't have the paper you have! Tmes change, not always for the better. 60 years ago things were different, even 10 years ago they were. More of our liberties are curbed as time goes on, it's disappointing. The other AMA threads were filled with all different types of comment and concerns about what was coming down the pike. Some of it came to be, some not. Once the misinformation is clarified, and the dust settles a little bit we'll know more how to move forward. If it's a free registration now and then 5 bucks in three years and that's it...I don't call that complete madness, or that this will curtain my enjoyment of the hobby. Some have already labeled that approach as that of a "sheeple"...but I intend to continue to fly. I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face and give up the hobby, nor am I going to go on some bizzare crusade and NOT register. I'm not saying you will, but these are just a few of the comments noted across the site tonight. And it's a safe bet that if one of those people who so bravely said "hell no they can take it from my cold dead hands" even gets busted for some reason, they would be the first to howl in protest about the great injustice. All the while, it would have taken a couple of minutes to register.
I ge
Old 12-14-2015, 06:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
As I've said before, I will comply just so I can fly jet rallys in the future but, I can hardly imagine What The REAL MEN in other RC countries are thinking of us right now! The song AMERICAN IDIOT, by GREEN DAY comes to mind! They're probably having one hell of a laugh at Our expense. I can use the word beautiful twice in the same 3 word sentence "beautiful, F$%king beautiful!"
Love the band and the song...got the hang out with them once, years ago!

Don't other countries have rules and regs dealing with this issue. Seem to recall some pretty strict ones down under that Rob2160 has mentioned. I don't think everyone has free reign, nor does every other country have the technology/safety issues that we do.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:33 PM
jetmaven

This is where the realization that the AMA should never have embraced the drone crap comes to life .
I don't think the money (our money ) spent on legal expenses did any thing to separate us from the morons putting their expensive drone toys in all the wrong places from the vast majority of us.
Ohhhh , but look at the advertising space (revenue) that appeared in the last edition of Model Aviation .
They had a choice , they took the wrong one .
Old 12-14-2015, 06:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Because if they didn't embrace the MR the FAA just would have skipped right on over the whole modeling community?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:38 PM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

I have no intention of placing a registration number on one of my SCALE models
Old 12-14-2015, 06:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well good luck with that if it becomes a requirement at any of the SCALE events you fly at. If there was ever going to be spot check on the hobby (as some have predicted), assuming your SCALE models are giant SCALE, you might find yourself grounded. Is it worth not flying to prove some kind of point?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:49 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Well good luck with that if it becomes a requirement at any of the SCALE events you fly at. If there was ever going to be spot check on the hobby (as some have predicted), assuming your SCALE models are giant SCALE, you might find yourself grounded. Is it worth not flying to prove some kind of point?
If AMA is smart, they'll adjust scale judging rules so that FAA mandated registration markings are transparent to the scale judging process. So whether FAA registration markings are done poorly or done well, it makes no difference in terms of points. That way, folks will be more concerned with compliance rather than competition.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:54 PM
jetmaven

Porcia83 , depends on weather or not your lawyer can put a sentence together and make a simple case based on past performance prior to the deluge of drone crap.
Ill register what I fly if that's what it takes , hey , I had to get an FCC license to operate a radio back in the day and that too came to an abrupt end .
Old 12-14-2015, 07:07 PM
smperry

I just read on a scale forum that the registration number can be concealed if it can be gotten at without the use of tools.
Battery hatch ok on the wing under,or above the fuselage, not if the wing bolts on.
sp
Old 12-14-2015, 07:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by smperry
I just read on a scale forum that the registration number can be concealed if it can be gotten at without the use of tools.
Battery hatch ok on the wing under,or above the fuselage, not if the wing bolts on.
sp
Does the "No Tools Rule" imply that the inspectors are too lazy to use a screwdriver, too stupid to use a screwdriver, or can't be trusted to carry a screwdriver...?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by jetmaven
Porcia83 , depends on weather or not your lawyer can put a sentence together and make a simple case based on past performance prior to the deluge of drone crap.
Ill register what I fly if that's what it takes , hey , I had to get an FCC license to operate a radio back in the day and that too came to an abrupt end .
I guess my response would be, is it worth getting an attorney involved when you could just as easily register for free. As Franklin noted perhaps the AMA can try to work something out with the FAA in terms of using AMA number etc, I'm sure they are trying to work through what they feel will be the best way to go about these changes and how it will affect everyone.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 PM
smperry

I think the no tools rule implies no regulator or inspector is going to risk the consequences of having at someone's scale model with a screwdriver :-)
While any screwdriver would fit, none of them would make sitting down the least bit comfortable.
sp
Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

I am not a conspiracy theorist but I have seen this before. Big pharma getting behind Obamacare to increase customers.

Originally Posted by combatpigg
The AMA needs to sell the FAA on the notion that using the AMA number to satisfy the registration requirement will encourage at least a token amount of drone flyers to become AMA members.
It wouldn't be a significant number, [unless the FAA was to also require Proof Of Insurance to be carried at all times as well].
This is how the AMA stands to gain from future increases in Federal Regulations [that is if the Feds allow an "AMA Bypass"].
If it ever becomes financially advantageous as well as less hassle for the "up and coming RCer" to choose AMA membership over dealing with the Feds directly, the AMA would enjoy a certain amount of growth .
Old 12-14-2015, 07:58 PM
fxvtol

FAA registration:

Since the AMA has raise their dues per year by $25-$75 per year, to protect us from unnecessary FAA regulations and they had failed at their task. I'm asking the AMA to lower next year the registration fee by $25 so go back to the old rate of $50 per year if they do not do this I would suggest that all AMA members drop their membership.

I think the AMA was right in trying to protect quad copters and bringing them into the fold. Since they are by definition remote control aircraft. But the popularity of their growth by not having to have a runway need it for takeoff and landing has led to their popularity. Unfortunately the more people that get involved in flying remote control aircraft leads to unfortunate incidents that's been in the news. Just like you remember in class where you have 30 students in class you can always count on at least 3 of them being goofballs and nut heads.

So we've been paying our AMA membership to provide us with the insurance coverage can anybody state for me where they paid out on claims were aircraft it hit people or cars or buildings etc.?

Don't worry about the government not having your address already do you think that government agencies can hack into the AMA computers, they all have your names and addresses. Just like we heard on the news that if you purchased anything any Target store the Chinese hackers have got that information also if you apply for any government jobs through the Office of Personnel Management the Chinese hackers or Russian hackers have got your information social security number already.

Hey I got a great idea instead of sending our $75 per year to the AMA let's send that money to the FAA for a special privilege class aircraft drone operator . This class would allow you to do two stupid things Per year and if you get caught it would merely be a little slap on the wrist and a verbal warning only .
Old 12-14-2015, 08:20 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

AMA has devolved into an insurance policy source and nothing more. I suppose that's worth $75. As for the rest of their representation activity, what a joke..
Old 12-14-2015, 08:41 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Does the "No Tools Rule" imply that the inspectors are too lazy to use a screwdriver, too stupid to use a screwdriver, or can't be trusted to carry a screwdriver...?
I'm not gonna sweat THAT rule too much. By the time any FAA inspector will be looking for my registration number, he won't need a tool to look inside my plane!! LOL

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-14-2015, 08:41 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you aware the AMA insurance only kicks in after your homeowner's and personal liability insurance has paid off?

So I question even their value as insurance provider

If they can't protect us from over-regulation, they aren't worth anything
Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by kram
Are you aware the AMA insurance only kicks in after your homeowner's and personal liability insurance has paid off?

So I question even their value as insurance provider

If they can't protect us from over-regulation, they aren't worth anything
I agree. It is too bad. I have spent countless hours over the years to advocate for the AMA's value beyond the insurance they offer. In fact, it has been my personal opinion for many years that the REAL value of the AMA was their power to lobby. Today, MEH, not so much.

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by kdunlap
AMA has devolved into an insurance policy source and nothing more. I suppose that's worth $75. As for the rest of their representation activity, what a joke..
If that's all you look to the AMA to be, then that's all you expect of it. It's different things to different people. Even at 75.00, it's a steal...you won't find excess coverage for anything near that figure. If you get the mag and don't read it, donate it to a vets home, or better yet a local middle/high school.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:52 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$1.67/yr to register as an RC pilot is no big deal

The problem is the "WHAT'S TO COME"

Drones are exploding on an economic and performance level

Drone commercials and money have obliterated our standard publications and AMA and leadership.

AND the technology allows any idiot to fly one from his front porch: none of the diligence or investment or ownership of RC is required. They don't even have a reason to join the AMA.

And drones will continue to develop and pose a greater and greater threat (perceived or real) to the public, which will stimulate more and more restriction by legislation

AMA's greatest mistake, before they were seduced by the sweet $$$'s of drone sales, was to not separate the aeromodeler hobby from drones

We should endeavor now to establish a niche of the UAS world that features the limited sight range, dedicated fields and self-regulated clubs that characterize our "old-fashioned" hobby

Or buy a model railroad
Old 12-14-2015, 08:55 PM
trex600fbl

porcia,

I am new to this site and I gotta say, it amazing to me how quickly you went from this won't happen and the sky won't fall to you thinking the registration is a good idea. WTH? The fact of the matter is this is more Government over reach and more of them getting their fix, i.e. money. The situation would be more productive if they actually went after the law breakers than those that abide by the law. As I stated earlier, before this was released, I know of an individual who took his quad, I estimate, a half mile up and shot video. As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid, so make efforts to find the problem people and not penalize those of us who are using common sense. Drones are not the problem, safe operators of model aircraft are not the problem, FPV is not the problem, guns are not the problem, SUV's are not the problem. Get the picture?

As I read your posts, most are enlightening, but some make me wonder. Only you and GOD know for sure. I wish you a Merry Christmas!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.