Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:58 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What happens to planes over 55 lbs?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:01 PM
trex600fbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See, this is good. Keep it up!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:15 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trex600fbl
porcia,

I am new to this site and I gotta say, it amazing to me how quickly you went from this won't happen and the sky won't fall to you thinking the registration is a good idea. WTH? The fact of the matter is this is more Government over reach and more of them getting their fix, i.e. money. The situation would be more productive if they actually went after the law breakers than those that abide by the law. As I stated earlier, before this was released, I know of an individual who took his quad, I estimate, a half mile up and shot video. As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid, so make efforts to find the problem people and not penalize those of us who are using common sense. Drones are not the problem, safe operators of model aircraft are not the problem, FPV is not the problem, guns are not the problem, SUV's are not the problem. Get the picture?

As I read your posts, most are enlightening, but some make me wonder. Only you and GOD know for sure. I wish you a Merry Christmas!
Yes, welcome to the site, and right to the AMA forums. Welcome!

Amazing amount of reading you've done in this short time, tons of postings today. Site traffic has to be crazy high today. Between here and RCG it's banner day for "clicks". Hope springs eternal and all, I certainly didn't want the reg process, and didn't think we would be tagged with it. I hoped the exception would be carved out for us. Alas, dealing with the feds, we don't always get what we want. You did of course note that I said each model wouldn't be required right? So far, so good on that! I don't however think I said Reg is a good idea. For the most part, it will do little to nothing to prohibit problems. It is something however that we will have to deal with, like it or not. So, at the end of the day, if it's required, well then I think Im going to do it. Cumbersome...not really. Well, I hope it won't be. It is however less than 24 hours since we've heard about it, so I'll wait to see what the online reg looks like. Free, and maybe 10 minutes of my time...a drop in the bucket as far as I'm concerned. If it was 5.00 for each aircraft I had, and each had to have it's own number...I'd be hopping mad. I completely agree with you on the user being the issue, not the technology. I'm not sure where you land on the AMA thing....I don't think we would have avoided any of this debacle had they avoided the MR users, in fact it might have been worse. Most here disagree, you'll find this site very traditional in nature (not a criticism, just my observation). I think they embrace heli dudes though.

I'll try to continue to make my posts enlightening..some will fall short I'm sure, todays might be off here or there. It's been a crazy day! Again, welcome to the threads, and happy holidays.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
It might be going on for much longer. Can't wait to see what the website looks like...if it's a govt one you can pretty much bet it won't be the easiest to use. Someone should start a betting pool on how many times it will crash in the first week.
I have $ that says it crashes before 0800 CST 21 December 2015. The definition of crash runs from not being available (or even in existence) to freezing up and all the possibilities for corrupt pages in between those two end points.

As for the ham radio question the real issue pivots on QUALIFICATIONS (determined by the test).

Last edited by Jim Branaum; 12-14-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
I have $ that says it crashes before 0800 CST 21 December 2015. The definition of crash runs from not being available (or even in existence) to freezing up and all the possibilities for corrupt pages in between those two end points.

As for the ham radio question the real issue pivots on QUALIFICATIONS (determined by the test).
I'm going to be ultra positive for my fellow poster in the thread, lest I be called a doom and gloomer. The site is going to be FANTASTIC! Set up and run by the folks at Amazon behind the scenes of course), this system will have lights, and music, and shiny sparkly things, and move at unbelievable speed.

Meh..might actually look like this:

I don't care how it looks...just let me do my thing easily, and get my number, and move on.

It would be nice to know who is putting it together, and how long that's been going on. No way did the not already have this in the works for a while and at least have it beta tested already. Please....let that be the case!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dronesite.png
Views:	81
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	2135878  
Old 12-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm going to be ultra positive for my fellow poster in the thread, lest I be called a doom and gloomer. The site is going to be FANTASTIC! Set up and run by the folks at Amazon behind the scenes of course), this system will have lights, and music, and shiny sparkly things, and move at unbelievable speed.

Meh..might actually look like this:

I don't care how it looks...just let me do my thing easily, and get my number, and move on.

It would be nice to know who is putting it together, and how long that's been going on. No way did the not already have this in the works for a while and at least have it beta tested already. Please....let that be the case!

Regardless of who is putting it together, a huge issue will be bandwidth. Lets assume there are around 250,000 modelers/drone operators. How many folks would you estimate will try to get registered right away? Enough to make it look like the site is undergoing a DOS attack? Or just enough to freeze it up?

I am sure that it will be as great as the ACA web site was during its first year of operation. I suppose folks got exactly the change they were hoping for.

While I do understand your desire to be positive, we have already seen the negative approaches taken by this administration to freedoms on many issues and this is just another example. As someone else said, most of the folks who will register are the same class that generally do not cause a problem with the NAS. This idea is less than 1/2 baked and hurts the honest modeler and does NOT protect the general public any more than they do now. It is kind of like gun control will not stop ISIS attacks no matter how strong the laws are. Intelligent folks understand that the law breakers (or ISIS) are dangerous and have no consideration for the rules.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 PM
trex600fbl

I appreciate your honesty! I fly all sorts of aircraft. I'm more of a scale guy, 4 and 5 blade heads (and scale fuses) on my helis, 3 and 4 blades on my WWII aircraft. I just went to "The Dark Side" and bought a DJI 550. I have to tell you, I'm having a blast with the thing. I fly out of an AMA field in Maryland. I saw where DJI has come out with a FLIR unit for their drones. Being a volunteer firefighter, I'd like to try it, I think it could save lives and property. Thank you , again!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Regardless of who is putting it together, a huge issue will be bandwidth. Lets assume there are around 250,000 modelers/drone operators. How many folks would you estimate will try to get registered right away? Enough to make it look like the site is undergoing a DOS attack? Or just enough to freeze it up?

I am sure that it will be as great as the ACA web site was during its first year of operation. I suppose folks got exactly the change they were hoping for.

While I do understand your desire to be positive, we have already seen the negative approaches taken by this administration to freedoms on many issues and this is just another example. As someone else said, most of the folks who will register are the same class that generally do not cause a problem with the NAS. This idea is less than 1/2 baked and hurts the honest modeler and does NOT protect the general public any more than they do now. It is kind of like gun control will not stop ISIS attacks no matter how strong the laws are. Intelligent folks understand that the law breakers (or ISIS) are dangerous and have no consideration for the rules.
Although I think they staggered the sign up timeframes, ya..I think the first week is going to be tough. Amazon knows how to deal with bandwidth issues...the feds, I'm not so certain. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by trex600fbl
I appreciate your honesty! I fly all sorts of aircraft. I'm more of a scale guy, 4 and 5 blade heads (and scale fuses) on my helis, 3 and 4 blades on my WWII aircraft. I just went to "The Dark Side" and bought a DJI 550. I have to tell you, I'm having a blast with the thing. I fly out of an AMA field in Maryland. I saw where DJI has come out with a FLIR unit for their drones. Being a volunteer firefighter, I'd like to try it, I think it could save lives and property. Thank you , again!
I've tried...I just can't get into the MR thing. The technology is amazing. I'm really excited to see how great these things can be utilized with public safety, cops and firemen specifically.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

A comment regarding AMA's insurance. Trust me that there are a lot of claims that you never hear about. In the last few years I know of an electric airplane that struck a modeler in the side, and put him in the hospital for several days. The bills exceeded 100 grand, and the modeler had no medical insurance of his own. Another accident where a modeled received a sever head wound, with similar medical expenses. My last example was a broken leg that generated medical expenses over 6 figures. For the individuals involved in these accidents their insurance, including AMA's was invaluable. As far as I know the AMA chooses not to publish accident claims information. There are probably a number of good reasons for that policy. Don't assume that just because you haven't heard of any serious accidents, that they don't happen, because I personally knew some of the individuals in these three accidents. Even though a lot of us think the AMA dropped the ball on this "registration" issue, the AMA is still our only advocate. It's the bureaucrats, and the administration that we need to replace.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:38 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kdunlap
AMA has devolved into an insurance policy source and nothing more. I suppose that's worth $75. As for the rest of their representation activity, what a joke..
Sounds like the AMA and AARP should get together as I also see them both as being worthless, and also an insult to their members.

I also agree with one of the other postings. I feel that the AMA should start sending out refunds to the members that they are not representing. Then lets see how long they last on only Drone memberships ?

Finally what really irks me is all I have are model airplanes, but myself and my models have been dumped into the Quad Copter / Drone category. I have never in my life owned or flown a Quad Copter / Drone and quite sure that I never will. But now my rights as a hobbyist have been infringed on just because of a few idiot Drone operators and the AMA not representing me properly. Perhaps the AMA needs to take a few lessons from the NRA !
Old 12-15-2015, 02:41 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
A comment regarding AMA's insurance. Trust me that there are a lot of claims that you never hear about. In the last few years I know of an electric airplane that struck a modeler in the side, and put him in the hospital for several days. The bills exceeded 100 grand, and the modeler had no medical insurance of his own. Another accident where a modeled received a sever head wound, with similar medical expenses. My last example was a broken leg that generated medical expenses over 6 figures. For the individuals involved in these accidents their insurance, including AMA's was invaluable. As far as I know the AMA chooses not to publish accident claims information. There are probably a number of good reasons for that policy. Don't assume that just because you haven't heard of any serious accidents, that they don't happen, because I personally knew some of the individuals in these three accidents. Even though a lot of us think the AMA dropped the ball on this "registration" issue, the AMA is still our only advocate. It's the bureaucrats, and the administration that we need to replace.
Sounds like I would stop flying at that field. Or just call 911 before I got there . LOL
Old 12-15-2015, 05:20 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Its amazing some idiots even attempt to fly when they cant comprehend or read
Old 12-15-2015, 05:37 AM
mordock999

Originally Posted by combatpigg
What other leisure activity / hobby do you take part in where you must carry a Federally issued card or else face fines and prison...?
The Answer? Class III Firearms, such as Federally Registered Automatic Weapons, Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns, and Suppressors. It's not a "card" exactly, but the weapon's "transfer papers" that you MUST have in your possession WITH the Weapon at ALL times, that shows that these items have Federally approved and Transferred to You.

The Bad news is chances are, you'd run into law enforcement that NEVER 'heard of such a thing.'
Old 12-15-2015, 06:08 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Our country has truly gone fu(%ing nuts!! And, worse yet, they, the Officials of the Government, think that this new rule will prevent terrorist! Instead, it will just be a new way for the Government to issue "tickets or fines" for more money! I have been saying this for the past two decades, from the time I started to notice the truth about our Government and our Country. WE truly aren't free in this Country of ours! Everything from teachers not being able to correct kids in school, kids turning parents into the police for a slap and a proper correction, or better yet, MADD who made the Government pass laws that an 18-21 year old who is in our military and go off to die for our country, can't walk into a bar/restaurant in the USA and have a beer prior to going off to war to die for the country!! There are so many other crazy things that have transpired for my 56 years of life here in the USA! I truly believe that we aren't free in this country!! We have over 31,000 people killed each year by guns, yet, when the country's military suffers a 3,000-5000 life loss in the God Damn Middle East, our nation's people go nuts!! I could go on and on, but here is the latest!!

A hobby that started for me as a boy at 8-9 years old, that taught me how to build and fly a model planes, learn about aerodynamics, and move on to learn how to fly jets for a living, has now gone off the deep end, by requiring AMA radio control model airplane hobbyist to register with the FAA and can now be fined and put in jail, just as a full scale pilot flying for a living. A full scale pilot goes through proper training of airspace, and aviation rules and FARs . The hobbyist has no training of the FARs and airspace rule, and yet, can now be fined and jailed as a full scale pilot. And!! Don't think this will end with just registration! Next, this will be tied to our Full Scale ATP/Private Pilot licenses, and worse yet, our Driver's License! We will then need medicals each year. Too many DUI's or speeding tickets, well, then you can't fly your model plane until you hire an attorney and pay the Government fines!!
Terrorist won't live by these rules! It is all about the money!! This is about as stupid as the TSA too!!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:19 AM
acerc

You guys can do as you choose but I will not be complying because according to "PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012" " SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT" , as long as flown under the listed parameters I am exempt. There are no and's. if's, or but's, as long as one abides by the parameters.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:23 AM
x19912

And so it begins, $5 initially soon it will be based on weight then height and an ever increasing oversight will ruin innovation and creativity, then your land based robot will be required registration too as it will have drone attributes.
Government intervention and a cost in taxes we pay for something we don't need. rules already exist for enforcement but they are not enforced, The paranoia out weighs the risk. typical government over reach. sad
Old 12-15-2015, 06:37 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by acerc
You guys can do as you choose but I will not be complying because according to "PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012" " SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT" , as long as flown under the listed parameters I am exempt. There are no and's. if's, or but's, as long as one abides by the parameters.
Sometimes Civil Disobedience does work...but it's usually a long and ugly journey for those who start the process. The good news is the FAA won't come looking for you. That's not how they enforce these type rules. They will just wait for people to screw up and then make a huge example of them. The FAA actually doesn't give a crap about model airplanes being flown responsibly, they want to stop the near misses with full size planes. The only reason that model airplanes are included in the new rules is that they are required to treat all sUAS (under their definition) equally....they can't discriminate against multi-rotors while ignoring fixed wing models.

The good news is that the burden on modelers is very small....at least for the time being.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by radfordc
Sometimes Civil Disobedience does work...but it's usually a long and ugly journey for those who start the process. The good news is the FAA won't come looking for you. That's not how they enforce these type rules. They will just wait for people to screw up and then make a huge example of them. The FAA actually doesn't give a crap about model airplanes being flown responsibly, they want to stop the near misses with full size planes. The only reason that model airplanes are included in the new rules is that they are required to treat all sUAS (under their definition) equally....they can't discriminate against multi-rotors while ignoring fixed wing models.

The good news is that the burden on modelers is very small....at least for the time being.
It's not civil disobedience, the FAA can not supersede congress, congress passed the law, as long as we stay within the rules we are exempt from FAA's oversight. FAA agrees with the law congress passed and I would imagine their regulation will reflect this eventually. But in the meantime this is one area where I will not willingly hand over my "congress" given right!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:05 AM
airzona

Originally Posted by combatpigg
What other leisure activity / hobby do you take part in where you must carry a Federally issued card or else face fines and prison...?
Pistols. Lmao.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:08 AM
airzona

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Our country has truly gone fu(%ing nuts!! And, worse yet, they, the Officials of the Government, think that this new rule will prevent terrorist! Instead, it will just be a new way for the Government to issue "tickets or fines" for more money! I have been saying this for the past two decades, from the time I started to notice the truth about our Government and our Country. WE truly aren't free in this Country of ours! Everything from teachers not being able to correct kids in school, kids turning parents into the police for a slap and a proper correction, or better yet, MADD who made the Government pass laws that an 18-21 year old who is in our military and go off to die for our country, can't walk into a bar/restaurant in the USA and have a beer prior to going off to war to die for the country!! There are so many other crazy things that have transpired for my 56 years of life here in the USA! I truly believe that we aren't free in this country!! We have over 31,000 people killed each year by guns, yet, when the country's military suffers a 3,000-5000 life loss in the God Damn Middle East, our nation's people go nuts!! I could go on and on, but here is the latest!!

A hobby that started for me as a boy at 8-9 years old, that taught me how to build and fly a model planes, learn about aerodynamics, and move on to learn how to fly jets for a living, has now gone off the deep end, by requiring AMA radio control model airplane hobbyist to register with the FAA and can now be fined and put in jail, just as a full scale pilot flying for a living. A full scale pilot goes through proper training of airspace, and aviation rules and FARs . The hobbyist has no training of the FARs and airspace rule, and yet, can now be fined and jailed as a full scale pilot. And!! Don't think this will end with just registration! Next, this will be tied to our Full Scale ATP/Private Pilot licenses, and worse yet, our Driver's License! We will then need medicals each year. Too many DUI's or speeding tickets, well, then you can't fly your model plane until you hire an attorney and pay the Government fines!!
Terrorist won't live by these rules! It is all about the money!! This is about as stupid as the TSA too!!
I don't think this has to do with terriorsts but the irresponsible pilots buzzing commercial planes and people in the parks. Those stupid quadcopters will be the death of this hobby.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:17 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by airzona
I don't think this has to do with terriorsts but the irresponsible pilots buzzing commercial planes and people in the parks.
Brace yourselves, guys, because this may just be the beginning. Due to an increase in idiots with laser pointers, we will probably soon see a mandatory registration of all flashlights!!!

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 12-15-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:20 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by airzona
I don't think this has to do with terriorsts but the irresponsible pilots buzzing commercial planes and people in the parks. Those stupid quadcopters will be the death of this hobby.
Not about terrorist? I disagree!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU
Old 12-15-2015, 07:26 AM
H5487

My local TV station showed a YouTube video this past weekend of a drone fitted with a flamethrower!

Harvey
Old 12-15-2015, 07:27 AM
acerc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU
And where does any law stop those willing to do harm? Putting all that aside, congress has already made it a law that under the listed parameters we modelers are exempt from FAA regulation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.