Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:14 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I have most likely read of the "Pirker" incident but just can't seem to place it. Could some one briefly jog my memory just a tiny bit so as not to get off thread?

Ken
No problem Ken , threads get off track for FAR worse reasons around here than a quick memory jog .

The "Pirker Incident" was when some foreign dolt who called himself and his buddies "The Black Sheep Squadron" came to the USA and flew his drone in places he shouldn't have , put lots of incriminating video up on boob toob , got caught by the FAA , and paid something like $1100 to get his butt out of trouble .
Old 12-16-2015, 02:22 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

OK! I have a question for the rule or law at hand!! Here in Florida, we have a LOT of Canadians/Germans/Europeans come to Florida for holiday. Our Club honors the Canadian equivalent of our AMA. I think it is CMAA, but, yet, because they "aren't Nationals" they don't have to register to fly at our clubs? So, half of our Club here in Cape Coral are non USA citizens, and don't have to report to the FAA. Yet! they can fly at our fields as full members in the USA airspace at question?

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 12-16-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:31 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh yeah, now I recall it (say the shrinking bran cells). Thanks init4fun

Ken
Old 12-16-2015, 02:51 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Register? I am already Registered with the AMA and even got my own number.! Geeze, what more do they want?????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1450301540763.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2136084  
Old 12-16-2015, 03:46 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Oh yeah, now I recall it (say the shrinking bran cells). Thanks init4fun

Ken
Your welcome Ken .

The one small detail I left out (My own shrinking grey matter) was the guy's forum name , which was "Trappy"

Happy Flying
Old 12-16-2015, 04:15 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
OK! I have a question for the rule or law at hand!! Here in Florida, we have a LOT of Canadians/Germans/Europeans come to Florida for holiday. Our Club honors the Canadian equivalent of our AMA. I think it is CMAA, but, yet, because they "aren't Nationals" they don't have to register to fly at our clubs? So, half of our Club here in Cape Coral are non USA citizens, and don't have to report to the FAA. Yet! they can fly at our fields as full members in the USA airspace at question?
Q. Who is required to register on the new online UAS registration website?
A. Only individual recreational or hobby users who meet U.S. citizenship requirements are able to register their unmanned aircraft using this new streamlined web-based process. This new, faster and easier system will be available for other UAS owners soon.

Q. Is there a citizenship requirement?
A. Only United States citizens can register their small UAS. The certificate serves as a certificate of ownership for non-citizens, not a registration certificate.

Q. Why does the certificate I received constitute recognition of registration for US citizens and permanent residents, but only recognition of ownership for foreign nationals? Have I complied with the requirement to register?
A. All users can submit information to the UAS registry; however, the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration. Foreign nationals who have completed the recognition of ownership process and wish to receive a rebate for the $5 registration fee may contact the FAA. Nonetheless, all users are encouraged to submit their information and mark their UAS. This will facilitate the recovery of the UAS, should it be lost or stolen
Old 12-16-2015, 04:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
No problem Ken , threads get off track for FAR worse reasons around here than a quick memory jog .

The "Pirker Incident" was when some foreign dolt who called himself and his buddies "The Black Sheep Squadron" came to the USA and flew his drone in places he shouldn't have , put lots of incriminating video up on boob toob , got caught by the FAA , and paid something like $1100 to get his butt out of trouble .
Yup...did some videos in NYC that got him put under a microscope pretty quick, but what finally did him in was flying for hire at a University in the South I believe. The school paid him a fee to shoot the video, and he said they preapproved everything he did. The video imagery was great, as was the production quality. It didn't really show anything outwardly dangerous (other than the obvious fact he was flying over property and people that didn't give consent Ultimately it was a huge win for him. He got free legal representation which would have run into the 6 figures had he paid, and it brought an incredible amount of publicity to his company. Yes, he sells fixed wing aircraft as well as FPV gear. The fine he paid was next to nothing.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 PM
turkey hunter
My Feedback: (10)

Donairplane, According to a message sent by the AMA on Monday, Dec 14, 2015, the first sentence reads, "All aircraft that are flown using ground control, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed wing aircraft, not just multi-rotors or drones"! Seems this includes model aircraft.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:13 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

This Q&A section is on the AMA website: Understanding the FAA's Interpretation of the Rule and How to Comment.

5. Does your club manage its own flying site in a safe and responsible manner?

In its strictest sense the interpretive rule comes close to giving the FAA the ability to dictate the layout of club flying sites. It has the potential to shut down park pilot flying sites in urban areas, and gives the FAA the ability to take enforcement action against a modeler who violates the statute.

The FAA’s interpretation specifically implies that the FAA may take enforcement action against someone, even a model aviation enthusiast, for posing a risk to people or property on the ground. The interpretation also statesthat “operations may not be conducted closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.” AMA’s recommended guidelines for flying sites has worked well for decades. Imposing such stringent requirements as outlined in the interpretation would have a devastating impact on my flying site, my ability to enjoy model aviation in what I believe is already a safe and responsible manner, and potentially cause the demise of countless model aviation flying sites across the country

In response to “operations may not be conducted closer than500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.” If the modeling community is required to follow this rule then there is no use flying since most smaller models cannot be seen at 500 feet horizontal distance and 500 feet vertical would violate the maximum height of 400 feet the model is allowed to fly.

What is the purpose of this rule and how can it be followed?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 AM
TimJ

here are instructions on how to mark your aircraft................
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Drone Fedral Register.pdf (608.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
This Q&A section is on the AMA website: Understanding the FAA's Interpretation of the Rule and How to Comment.

5. Does your club manage its own flying site in a safe and responsible manner?

In its strictest sense the interpretive rule comes close to giving the FAA the ability to dictate the layout of club flying sites. It has the potential to shut down park pilot flying sites in urban areas, and gives the FAA the ability to take enforcement action against a modeler who violates the statute.

The FAA’s interpretation specifically implies that the FAA may take enforcement action against someone, even a model aviation enthusiast, for posing a risk to people or property on the ground. The interpretation also statesthat “operations may not be conducted closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.” AMA’s recommended guidelines for flying sites has worked well for decades. Imposing such stringent requirements as outlined in the interpretation would have a devastating impact on my flying site, my ability to enjoy model aviation in what I believe is already a safe and responsible manner, and potentially cause the demise of countless model aviation flying sites across the country

In response to “operations may not be conducted closer than500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.” If the modeling community is required to follow this rule then there is no use flying since most smaller models cannot be seen at 500 feet horizontal distance and 500 feet vertical would violate the maximum height of 400 feet the model is allowed to fly.

What is the purpose of this rule and how can it be followed?

Why the 500 foot requirement when rules allow full scale and sUAV to be within 100 feet when in the air?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
here are instructions on how to mark your aircraft................
We have specifications for installing 1,000 ton chillers that is shorter than this!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:44 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

§ 48.205 Display and location of unique
identifier.
(a) The unique identifier must be
maintained in a condition that is legible.
(b) The unique identifier must be
affixed to the small unmanned aircraft
by any means necessary to ensure that
it will remain affixed for the duration of
each operation.
(c) The unique identifier must be
readily accessible and visible upon
inspection of the small unmanned
aircraft. A unique identifier enclosed in
a compartment is readily accessible if it
can be accessed without the use of any
tool.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:08 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Does the "No Tools Rule" imply that the inspectors are too lazy to use a screwdriver, too stupid to use a screwdriver, or can't be trusted to carry a screwdriver...?
Would you let an FAA moron go at your model with a screwdriver? That's a scary thought!!!

As someone else mentioned, we used to have to get an FCC license a few years ago and pay a fee. But that was an enforceable regulation and had a direct outcome on solving a problem. This new regulation, as also mentioned before, is not going to stop a bad guy from doing damage with a drone. We law-abiding citizens will get the stupid registration and pay the stupid fee, the bad guys will definitely not!!!

It just seems another way the government will scam more money out of us.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

Would you let an FAA moron go at your model with a screwdriver? That's a scary thought!!!
I think they only use axes and saw's for tools.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope my wife doesn't see this . . .

On average, model aircraft ownersare assumed to own an average fleet sizeof 1.5 sUAS.
I have 14 models flying and about six of the "0.5" variety I may someday get around to repairing.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"visible upon close inspection"

I'm thinking about the font size of the states written around the cornice of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

"Sorry Agent K, but you're the guys who said you wanted it to be a "close visual inspection". Get in there."
Old 12-17-2015, 12:29 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think they only use axes and saw's for tools.
...and lawyers.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:31 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Charlie P.

I have 14 models flying and about six of the "0.5" variety I may someday get around to repairing.
1.5 sUAS...that's hilarious. I wonder how much money the government spent on researching that number?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:33 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I would put it under the glide slope indicator on the instrument panel.

This registration would not have stopped another moron from doing what he did.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...bcA1&ocid=iehp
Old 12-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Charlie P.

Does that mean operable models? I have umm 7 or 8 but only two will fly without repairs. Opp's make that one but the other is only a quick repair, some hanger rash poked a hole in the covering.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:49 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Would you let an FAA moron go at your model with a screwdriver? That's a scary thought!!!.
I would think a simple offer to unscrew and retrieve the information for them would be fine.

Mike
Old 12-17-2015, 12:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hsukaria
...and lawyers.
Those are worse than the axe and saw treatment......
Old 12-17-2015, 01:03 PM
franklin_m

You know, it's in the modeler's best interest to make it easy to find/get the registration number if the sUAS lands somewhere it shouldn't. I can easily see uninformed folks not being all that careful trying to find the number if they have to open panels etc. What's the chance someone who's already angry that it's landed on their property is going to be careful looking for the registration number?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
You know, it's in the modeler's best interest to make it easy to find/get the registration number if the sUAS lands somewhere it shouldn't. I can easily see uninformed folks not being all that careful trying to find the number if they have to open panels etc. What's the chance someone who's already angry that it's landed on their property is going to be careful looking for the registration number?

Oh, yeah make it easy, Ugly markings on your scale airplane. Instead of say a Nazi Fascist Messerschmitt, it will look like an FAA fascist Messerschmitt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.