Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

It is official. You have to register your model with the FAA

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:59 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

porcia83: True. I didn't recognize any of the brands they had, but most were obviously over 8 oz. and fully capable of ascending well over 400 ft.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
My local grocery store had a rack of them next to chips and dip.
That's funny, and quite representative of the seriousness (i.e. the lack thereof) that many people outside of the modeling community are giving to the situation. These are the people who won't fly their new toys responsibility, will do stupid things that'll attract more negative media attention, and ultimately bring more scrutiny and its inevitable increase of restrictions upon us.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 12-19-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:47 AM
eaglen2fb
My Feedback: (41)

Sign please
https://www.change.org/p/federal-avi...fb_ref=Default
Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 AM
rcmiket

Anyone interested in contacting your "public servants" in DC to vent your frustration here's a link to make it easier.

Mike

http://www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb/
Old 12-19-2015, 09:26 AM
FreakyDude

glad I am Canadian but then again it won't be long for us either. Once our idiot government sees they can squeeze us for 5 bucks they will add the metric conversion, force us to register and we will be paying 20
Old 12-19-2015, 11:08 AM
bokuda

Originally Posted by eaglen2fb
I read through this letter/petition and could not bring myself to sign. It is too negative and attacks the FAA which will
not serve well to endear it to our cause. If someone comes up with a more positive, constructive version, I will gladly sign it.

Last edited by bokuda; 12-20-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:41 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by bokuda
It is too negative and attacks the FAA which not serve well to endear it to our cause.
I thought that too.

Harvey
Old 12-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

So, much as I predicted, the website link "Register now" results in a blank page being presented.

And yes, I reported it via two different methods. I suspect that it will not be fixed until sometime next year.

Last edited by Jim Branaum; 12-21-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worked for me (I did NOT register).

It's funny how they use the specific word "drone" more than once... along with a drawing of a very specific type of machine. Lots of room for misinterpretation here, IMO
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	47
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	2136925  
Old 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Worked for me (I did NOT register).

It's funny how they use the specific word "drone" more than once... along with a drawing of a very specific type of machine. Lots of room for misinterpretation here, IMO

Well, that is an improvement but no one can register because it does not send out the account verification email! LOL So special!
Old 12-21-2015, 01:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Well, that is an improvement but no one can register because it does not send out the account verification email! LOL So special!
Is that something as of a specific time? A lot of folks didn't realize they had to verify their e-mail first, then continue on. I haven't seen a complaint on the e-mail thing yet...that seemed to work earlier (then again it was up and running earlier...
Old 12-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Jim Branaum

Is that something as of a specific time? A lot of folks didn't realize they had to verify their e-mail first, then continue on. I haven't seen a complaint on the e-mail thing yet...that seemed to work earlier (then again it was up and running earlier...
The time was about 5 minutes before I posted. I guess they are only going to allow a chosen few be law abiding citizens in their attempt at finding more money to throw away.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

LoL...yup, that's probably it. 5.00 at a time, then refund it. There's a money making scheme in there there somewhere!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Jim Branaum

LoL...yup, that's probably it. 5.00 at a time, then refund it. There's a money making scheme in there there somewhere!

ROFLOL!

You are a true believer! Just imagine when you might be getting that refund, some time in 2....

ROFLMAO!

Well, it says here that I am human and screw up as well. Check your spam folder because my email client thinks FAA.GOV is spam....

Last edited by Jim Branaum; 12-21-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

I thought love was only true in fairy tales
Meant for fixed winged pilots but not for me
FAA was out to get me
That's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all of my dreams

Then I saw the FAA's place, now I'm a believer
Not a trace, of doubt in my mind
I'm in compliance, and I'm a believer
I couldn't leave her if I tried
No not if I tried
Old 12-22-2015, 10:59 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

Haha...great PIC!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by acdii
That was after talking to Lt. Barkley no doubt!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:19 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you register check out your credit card account and you will see the transaction pending approval. This means they are waiting on the court ruling. Your anger is being vented in the wrong direction and should be directed toward the "drone" community. They started this fiasco and they should be banned out of existence. If these "drones" were manufactured in the USA and not some Asian country they probably would have been many years ago. Last thought people how is the 400 foot ceiling going to impact the glider community.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by flycatch
Once you register check out your credit card account and you will see the transaction pending approval. This means they are waiting on the court ruling. Your anger is being vented in the wrong direction and should be directed toward the "drone" community. They started this fiasco and they should be banned out of existence. If these "drones" were manufactured in the USA and not some Asian country they probably would have been many years ago. Last thought people how is the 400 foot ceiling going to impact the glider community.
Sorry, you are not quite correct. The real question is how long before we are required to PROVE we have not exceeded the limits. Read that as an altitude reporting telemetry requirement for all with sanctions against record of violations.

Unfortunately, NONE of these will have any impact on the wild bunch causing the problems in the first place. Just like gun laws...
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Sport_Pilot

IMO though so called drones caused the problem, it was actually the fault of poor education by the retail industry and the FAA. And the 400 foot rule can be a problem for sailplane and aerobatic contests because they regularly fly above that. With no issues BTW.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM
bokuda

I too am curious to know how this will affect sailplanes and checked the sailplane forum. Strangely, I found no discussion on this topic so I started a new thread. I recently became interested in ALES competition after a long hiatus from flying sailplanes and purchased a competitive level plane and an Airtronics 10G. Apparently more money wasted on this doomed hobby.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-g...ailplanes.html

Last edited by bokuda; 12-22-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:06 PM
trex600fbl

Flycatch,

Obviously you are among the elite AMA members to make such a proclamation! Your rhetoric is overwhelming. I think your thorazine drip is ready.

I defy you to find anything, manufactured in the U.S., that does not contain a part or compound made in another country.

There are many applications in which MRs are useful. I defy you to show me a difference between the robot that goes in for a suspected bomb and the sUAS that is used for scene assessment on hazardous materials spills and firefighting, other than the construction differences.

You are entitled to your opinion, we still have that freedom, I believe.

I started with a Zagi, next was a Spectra, then a LT40 trainer. I've built, and flown, WWII scale kits. I've flown, and still do fly, helis and recently acquired a DJI 550. I've been an AMA member since 2001 and am the local AMA club safety officer.

I'm just as upset, as most, about this ruling. IMHO, I believe our anger and resources should be directed at the outlaws and the Government. ..not each other!

That being said, should you ever come to Maryland, look me up. We can fly together at one of the best, local, AMA fields. We do allow sailplanes!

Joe Wilson
Old 12-22-2015, 03:02 PM
H5487

If these "drones" were manufactured in the USA and not some Asian country...
Be careful how you word your posts because if it sounds like an anti-oriental rant, the moderator might shut it down for being racist.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 12-22-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:29 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by H5487
Careful. Don't turn this thread into an anti-oriental rant or the moderator might shut it down for being racist.

Harvey
Hi Harvey ,

Nope , the moderator around here , RC Ken , does not close threads that get dragged off track by racist , political , or other unsavory chatter , No , , Instead of closing a thread , He rightly sanctions those that are breaking the RCU rules and trying to get a thread closed that they don't like by posting garbage . RC Ken is plenty smart enough to know the difference between a thread topic that doesn't belong VS a poster behaving badly in a legitimate thread . If a poster goes "too far off the reservation" he can expect a time out while the thread continues on without him . Just as it should be .......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.