Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Lets remove the AMA leadership!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Lets remove the AMA leadership!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:32 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by blhollo2
Anyone know how much the AMA president gets paid and the vice pres? just wondering what we are paying for...
elected positions have a whopping salary of,
get ready for it,
000,000,000,000.00 per year.

amazing that it can be so high.
have you ever seen a salary with so many zeros in it?

now the staff, they get paid rather well.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by s3nfo
Election results for the 2016 EC were just posted less than a month ago, incumbants won handily in all Districts where there was a challenger. Incumbents won handily in all 2015 Elections where the incumbent had a challenger.
So how's that "throw the bums out" thing working for you, incumbents get easily reelected in 99% of AMA elections no matter how qualified the challenger.
It seems that 99% of the membership claim they don't have the time to build a simple plane, so then who has enough spare time to make it their NEW hobby to get intimately familiar with all of the AMA candidates in order to cast an informed vote...?
Unless the AMA fails to send a member his card and his magazine, the average member has no reason to spend any spare time deciding which candidate will do a better job of handing out AMA decals and pencils when he comes to visit.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:02 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
elected positions have a whopping salary of,
get ready for it,
000,000,000,000.00 per year.

amazing that it can be so high.
have you ever seen a salary with so many zeros in it?

now the staff, they get paid rather well.

ha! fitting...
Old 12-14-2015, 11:58 PM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

No one would have beat the FAA on this. This is the manufacturers fault. They kept pushing gyro's to the point that everyone could "fly". I saw it coming, did no one else? When I started seeing gyro's showing up in trainers, then 3D planes and foamies it was just a matter of time. It also won't stop here. The hobby that I have the best memories of my dad who died at just 55 will soon be dead as well and I can't help but be bitter about it.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the the Executive Council must pre-approve any candidate for the EC before they can run. They pretty much have a stranglehold on who may control the AMA.

Point 2, if only 17% of the membership can be bothered to fill out a voting card, then obviously the current situation is okay with the majority of the membership.

A pretty sad state of affairs.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:27 AM
mike_tx

Last night, after the "notification" of 5.00 for registration, I demanded that they refund my 2016 dues. I am going rogue. I quit my club for 7 years and went rogue. The only reason I joined the club again was the fact i bought a glow engine rc airplane and I can't fly that in my yard or over the street. I am done with the AMA. I am not interested in being in another Government Database.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:23 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

"Yeah yeah.....So after the leadership did their best, you want to remove them."

Did you just arrive on this planet????
Old 12-15-2015, 05:38 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Yeah yeah.....So after the leadership did their best, you want to remove them.
I KNOW, right?

I mean, the AMA has their participation award for trying........

REALLY, FOLKS?

There is nowhere in my contract for employment that guarantees my paycheck for, "doing my best"

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Porcia83 they should be embarrassed by this epic fail. Model aviation was done a huge disservice today. 70 years of developing safety rules, playing by those rules, and governing the community by these rules resulted in NOTHING. Let's be totally real here... AMA is a multi-million dollar a year business. Period. As an association if don't have the talent to fight the FAA, then you buy it! I'm tired of hearing all of this crying about the poor volunteer officers at AMA. Did you ever stop to think about how many professional staff people your dues money is paying for??
Actually, they had the talent to get a exemption for model aircraft, then they got greedy when they realized there was a giant pile of drone money sitting out there, and yes, they threw the rest of us under the bus chasing that money.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:55 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Originally Posted by edgeflyer
No one would have beat the FAA on this. This is the manufacturers fault. They kept pushing gyro's to the point that everyone could "fly". I saw it coming, did no one else? When I started seeing gyro's showing up in trainers, then 3D planes and foamies it was just a matter of time. It also won't stop here. The hobby that I have the best memories of my dad who died at just 55 will soon be dead as well and I can't help but be bitter about it.
The AMA initially asked congress for an exemption for "model airplanes". Then once they had that exemption in their hands they tried to pull a bait and switch on the federal government by claiming it covered drones also. I mean, that is LITERALLY what they did. That took some big balls to go into the FAA and claim that it covered drones, but big balls and smart are two totally separate things and this was just plain stupid. Two words that come to mind: GREED!! FAIL!!

Last edited by smithcreek; 12-15-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blhollo2
Anyone know how much the AMA president gets paid and the vice pres? just wondering what we are paying for...
Based on the most recent IRS 990 form available, 2013, page 7, the ED made a total of $136,871. $120,690 in direct compensation and $16,181 listed as "Estimated amount of other compensation from the organization and related organizations."

[ATTACH]2135891[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AMA 990 2013.pdf (604.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:25 AM
or170b

Originally Posted by smithcreek
The AMA initially asked congress for an exemption for "model airplanes". Then once they had that exemption in their hands they tried to pull a bait and switch on the federal government by claiming it covered drones also. I mean, that is LITERALLY what they did. That took some big balls to go into the FAA and claim that it covered drones, but big balls and smart are two totally separate things and this was just plain stupid. Two words that come to mind: GREED!! FAIL!!
You are right!! This is why I stated this thread. The AMA is who did this to us, they got greedy!!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:26 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Should make for an interesting AMA show on Ontario in January. I will probably miss the fireworks this year. I can only go Sunday
Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Hobbyists are dealing with the government. Everybody knows that you will not accomplish anything when dealing with idiots !

What really bothers me is that I feel that we have been BLIND SIDED by both the FAA and the AMA.

I already have a Airline Transport Rating license number.
I have a United States Air Force serial number.
I have a Social Security number.
" All " issued by the US Government !!!!!!

Now they are telling me that I need another government issued number just to enjoy a hobby. Just shaking my head and wondering what comes next and when does all this madness end ?
When they finally nail that brass tag to your butt just before they tax your estate with death taxes then throw dirt on ya!!!!!

Dennis
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Should make for an interesting AMA show on Ontario in January. I will probably miss the fireworks this year. I can only go Sunday
Personally speaking, if I were an AMA Official, I would be embarrassed to even making a showing.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by or170b
In light of the new rules for registering our models with the FAA I propose that we demand the AMA leadership step down! They have thrown us under the buss in the name of getting $$$$ from the drone crowd. We need better leadership.
Better members wouldn't hurt either....
Old 12-15-2015, 02:09 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Personally speaking, if I were an AMA Official, I would be embarrassed to even making a showing.
You can always take steps to become an AMA official, then you'll know first hand how everything you will be second guessed and criticized. Willing to step up to the plate, maybe even as a Leader member or club official or district AVP?

Not every step a leader of an organization will take will be the right one, in retrospect of course. How they deal with the "bad times" is more of an indicator of what kind of leaders they are, rather than the good times. An org of 180k going up against the feds....can't imagine that is an easy thing to do. Did any of the participants of the committee leave this process happy? Any stockholders calling for the firing of the board at DJI. How about Walmart or any of other groups?
Old 12-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by porcia83
You can always take steps to become an AMA official, then you'll know first hand how everything you will be second guessed and criticized. Willing to step up to the plate, maybe even as a Leader member or club official or district AVP?

Not every step a leader of an organization will take will be the right one, in retrospect of course. How they deal with the "bad times" is more of an indicator of what kind of leaders they are, rather than the good times. An org of 180k going up against the feds....can't imagine that is an easy thing to do. Did any of the participants of the committee leave this process happy? Any stockholders calling for the firing of the board at DJI. How about Walmart or any of other groups?
Sorry to say that I am too old to take steps to become an AMA official. But in the past I have served in both corporate management and union management. Their is a way for all parties to compromise, but what came down this week was something beyond compromise. It was something that was just shoved down our throats. I could say where else it was shoved, but I am trying to keep this polite.

To date I have read and studied what took place this week and as other folks have stated, they do not think that as members of the AMA, we had a very good negotiating team, nor were we properly represented.

You mentioned " bad times " and I say that this week was a very bad time for the RC hobbyist. Now, we are about to find out what kind of leaders we really do have in the AMA ? I am really afraid that with our present leaders, the RC hobbyist is only in for worse days.

Just my own " Sad Personal " thoughts .
Old 12-15-2015, 03:34 PM
TimJ

So you will be running for a position on the AMA EC next year then?
Old 12-15-2015, 03:40 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to say that I am too old to take steps to become an AMA official.
Troll on Tim , throw enough poop around and some is gonna stick eventually
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Sorry to say that I am too old to take steps to become an AMA official. But in the past I have served in both corporate management and union management. Their is a way for all parties to compromise, but what came down this week was something beyond compromise. It was something that was just shoved down our throats. I could say where else it was shoved, but I am trying to keep this polite.

To date I have read and studied what took place this week and as other folks have stated, they do not think that as members of the AMA, we had a very good negotiating team, nor were we properly represented.

You mentioned " bad times " and I say that this week was a very bad time for the RC hobbyist. Now, we are about to find out what kind of leaders we really do have in the AMA ? I am really afraid that with our present leaders, the RC hobbyist is only in for worse days.

Just my own " Sad Personal " thoughts .
I completely agree, there is usually a way for parties to come together and hammer out a deal. With corp and unions, they have to work together and get things done. With the FAA and the Congress...unless someone is contributing huge dollars to reelection campaigns, it's their way or the highway. I don't think a single person from that group of 25 or so that made their recommendations that walked away happy at this decision. Not a one. Should all of those people who participated walk away feeling embarrassed? Nobody won, and for the matter I don't think the FAA won either. Like they want or need to deal with our 2 pound foamies? They have far bigger fish to fry.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by or170b
In light of the new rules for registering our models with the FAA I propose that we demand the AMA leadership step down! They have thrown us under the buss in the name of getting $$$$ from the drone crowd. We need better leadership.
Are you freaking kidding me ? ! go get another hobby. i'm tired of guys like you always starting crap. Be part of the solution , not the problem.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:25 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by warbird_1
Are you freaking kidding me ? ! go get another hobby. i'm tired of guys like you always starting crap. Be part of the solution , not the problem.
I agree mostly...nothing wrong with wanting change, but often times the ones screaming for change aren't ready to do more than just scream for change. Then what...the whole AMA EC is tossed out...o/k, what next? Who is going to run things?

Nope, to easy and trite to just scream "throw the bums out"...what I'd like to see is some specific details on how THEY would change things, what THEY would do. It never comes though.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:17 AM
Granpooba

Read above !
Old 12-16-2015, 05:24 AM
flyinwalenda

Remember how and why the AMA was started in the first place and what it has turned into decades later. Perhaps it's time for another group of like-minded individuals to get together and start something new?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.