Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Who cares about $5 and a number, what's the next step?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Who cares about $5 and a number, what's the next step?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:29 PM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The door's been cracked with "$5 and a number" and will likely be kicked wide open with further regulation. Why? Because this registration will have no positive effect against the irresponsible use of remotely piloted vehicles. The only ones I expect to comply with the registration are those who are already rule abiding practitioners of the hobby. Do you think the goofballs out there doing stupid stuff are going to find religion and comply? Not a chance. The only thing that this registration serves to achieve is to be used as a hammer against those that do stupid stuff and didn't register so they can pile on heavy fines. And even that'll be largely ineffective because what municipality has the manpower to enforce this? Just another way for the government to creatively suck money out of us....

Last edited by fly24-7; 12-18-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Jethead

The Holocost of the Jews in Nazi Germany didn't start with unloading boxcars of people into gas chambers either.

Its ONLY $5 and a number....nothing to see here.

People we are enslaved to a tyrannous government bent on emptying all our accounts. But I'm the crazy one.... SMDH.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Jethead

I'm really surprised it took this long.

I remember the first time seeing a turbine powered jet exceed 200 mph in a straight and level pass and I specifically remember thinking to myself right then two things. 1. WOW! That's bad ass. And 2. Once the "government" sees this it'll be over.

I'm stunned and in awe that 20 years later and well after 9-11 people are still allowed to fly these models.

Last edited by Jethead; 12-17-2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: context
Old 12-17-2015, 04:47 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago, when I was a junior officer in a squadron, a Navy Flag taught me a critical lesson: "There are no problems that cannot be made worse."

Earlier tonight, the AMA openly encouraged its members to hold off registration. Ask yourself what happens if the FAA decides to respond by formally denying the AMA's written request to be named a Community Based Organization? From the FAA's perspective, there would be some poetic justice in such a move, as PL112-95 section 336 would immediately turn into a set of golden handcuffs on the AMA.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:02 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

say it ain't so...another worst case scenario, and the AMA ends up the loser! Sounds familiar.....
Old 12-17-2015, 05:07 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There may be a legitimate reason for not registering yet.
Let's say AMA strikes a deal with the FAA allowing your AMA Number to be your registration number.
Since AMA already has all the information associated with that number it would prove beneficial to both parties.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BobH
Let's say AMA strikes a deal with the FAA allowing your AMA Number to be your registration number.
Since AMA already has all the information associated with that number it would prove beneficial to both parties.
Right...you are 100% correct. But that hasn't stopped some from immediately spreading misinformation that the AMA is telling people not to register at all. We have more than two months to register. A lot can happen in that time. Hopefully it will, and it will benefit us. Sorry for the positive thinking!
Old 12-17-2015, 06:22 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by BobH
I think it would be very informative for FAA to be able to collect actual data on whether or not being an AMA member has any bearing on safety of model airplane operations. I hope it works out that AMA numbers are accepted as a substitute for FAA issued numbers.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:46 PM
b206
My Feedback: (1)

Don't complain about the government doing it's job. 5 dollar fee to run a program is cheep.
Remember people are making money selling all these ready to fly aircraft. Many of the people complaining are part off the problem.
Build and fly models, no computers, no gyros, no ARF's.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:57 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by b206
I do that and I still have to pay 5 bucks!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
It's my understanding that ratified treaties carry force of law at federal level. If USA signed and ratified a treaty that defines them as aircraft (which they did), and Congress gave authority to FAA/DOT to regulate aircraft (which they did), then stick a fork in it...it's done.
The law's of Congress take president over treaties. Not sure if that was ratified, but I think that was an IOAC decision after the fact.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:48 AM
jim billings

It's kind of comical to see the diversity of personalities in this thread. There's the "I'll fly my unregistered toy until they take the transmitter out of my cold, dead hands!" type to the "Oh my god - I better pay my money or I'll be in big trouble!" type. There are some treading the "middle line" and I think I'll join them. 'nuff said.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

Good luck finding a thread with any pervasive middle of the road comments...it's almost universally one way...and god forbid you buck that. It's pretty much a scorched earth torch and pitchfork kinda thing.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:28 PM
fly24-7

Originally Posted by b206
Don't complain about the government doing it's job. 5 dollar fee to run a program is cheep.
Remember people are making money selling all these ready to fly aircraft. Many of the people complaining are part off the problem.
The problem isn't the $5, it's the fact that the government is putting a program in place that I suspect will have zero effect on curbing irresponsible use of remotely controlled aerial vehicles. So, what exactly is the return on our $5 investment???

By the way, I've been a "career" ARF flyer and I've managed to practice this hobby sensibly and responsibly for the last decade. ARFs are not the problem. RTFs are not the problem. Heck, drones are not the problem. Irresponsible idiots ARE the problem. So the government's solution? Pull out their big brush and whitewash the who situation. Why? Because it's the least amount of work and they can say they did something. They're getting nowhere fast with their UAS rulemaking and they're trying to save face.

Last edited by fly24-7; 12-18-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:14 PM
eaglen2fb
My Feedback: (41)

Read This!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...cly-available/