AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Reply
Old 12-27-2015, 08:13 AM
  #251
Luchnia
 
Luchnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Amelia, VA
Posts: 2,075
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I was reading a post on another forum about a fellow flyer that has 100,000 invested in his rc hobby and his club just got temporarily shut down by the FAA. He said he would have to drive well over an hour to get to another club to fly. If clubs like there were permanently shut down, this could way heavily on whether or not you get out of the hobby.
Luchnia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:20 AM
  #252
porcia83
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,208
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Proximity is a problem for those in the DC area. Some clubs were closed, others remained open. Don't think everyone of them will be open going forward, but some will.
porcia83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:30 AM
  #253
AllModesR/C
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 353
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchnia View Post
I was reading a post on another forum about a fellow flyer that has 100,000 invested in his rc hobby and his club just got temporarily shut down by the FAA. He said he would have to drive well over an hour to get to another club to fly. If clubs like there were permanently shut down, this could way heavily on whether or not you get out of the hobby.
Out of curiousity, why did the FAA shut the club down?
AllModesR/C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:31 PM
  #254
flyer7007
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: gloversville, NY
Posts: 34
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

unfortunately the first time a drone is used to photograph something, or dose anything the FAA deems a threat to our national security our hobby is GONE. The AMA standing behind them is unbelievable to me. Its time to realize our hobby has a very short life left, and I'm pissed.
flyer7007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:46 PM
  #255
hairy46
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sinclair, WY
Posts: 2,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer7007 View Post
unfortunately the first time a drone is used to photograph something, or dose anything the faa deems a threat to our national security our hobby is gone. The ama standing behind them is unbelievable to me. Its time to realize our hobby has a very short life left, and i'm pissed.
in total agreement!
hairy46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:52 PM
  #256
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,972
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer7007 View Post
unfortunately the first time a drone is used to photograph something, or dose anything the FAA deems a threat to our national security our hobby is GONE. The AMA standing behind them is unbelievable to me. Its time to realize our hobby has a very short life left, and I'm pissed.
Um , , At the risk of trading in my tinfoil hat for a deckchair on the SS Pollyanna , I offer this ;

A couple of years ago , the FBI , yes , that's right , the FBI and NOT the FAA , busted a Muslim terrorist wannabe named Rezwan Ferdus in Ashland Massachusetts for planning to load a traditional fixed wing RC model aircraft with explosives and fly it into the Pentagon . No kidding , you can search this out and you'll find it's true . Now , if THAT didn't get us grounded for good , do ya really think some dolt with a flying camera is gonna be seen as being worse than a radical bent on terrorism ?

Thankfully , I think your predictions of our demise are , somewhat premature , at best . We WILL be flying for the foreseeable future , It's just a matter of how many hoops are gonna have to be jumped to enjoy the "right" to fly a remote controlled model aircraft .....
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:14 PM
  #257
porcia83
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,208
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Um , , At the risk of trading in my tinfoil hat for a deckchair on the SS Pollyanna , I offer this ;

A couple of years ago , the FBI , yes , that's right , the FBI and NOT the FAA , busted a Muslim terrorist wannabe named Rezwan Ferdus in Ashland Massachusetts for planning to load a traditional fixed wing RC model aircraft with explosives and fly it into the Pentagon . No kidding , you can search this out and you'll find it's true . Now , if THAT didn't get us grounded for good , do ya really think some dolt with a flying camera is gonna be seen as being worse than a radical bent on terrorism ?

Thankfully , I think your predictions of our demise are , somewhat premature , at best . We WILL be flying for the foreseeable future , It's just a matter of how many hoops are gonna have to be jumped to enjoy the "right" to fly a remote controlled model aircraft .....
And with that I give you a well deserved +1.
porcia83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:30 PM
  #258
flyer7007
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: gloversville, NY
Posts: 34
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

you are correct I remember the incident well it was about 4 years ago. luckily his aircraft was very crude, and very unsuccessful. Unfortunately for us who build and fly aircraft that don't have cameras and all this other crap, these drones are getting more advanced every day and are far beyond where they were a couple of years ago, and it must stop. Do these manufacturers who are producing them not understand they are destroying there own businesses, or are they simply now trying to get as much money as they can before the inevitable happens?????. now all you need is an idiot, a charger, and a cell phone, no flying experiences at all and we are done. AND TRUST ME THERE ARE PLENTY OF ALL 3.
flyer7007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:34 PM
  #259
skylark-flier
 
skylark-flier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, Luray
Posts: 2,022
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllModesR/C View Post
Out of curiousity, why did the FAA shut the club down?
As I understand it, ALL clubs within the DC FRZ are shut down. That's roughly a 30 mile radius from pretty close to the center of the city - NOBODY except military, police, airlines (within certain corridors) etc is allowed to fly within that zone. Up until now, the FAA has chosen to give RC flyers a pass, I guess mostly out of simple common sense. Then came the GPS/FPV/alphabetsoup drones and the game changed.
skylark-flier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:36 PM
  #260
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,914
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Um , , At the risk of trading in my tinfoil hat for a deckchair on the SS Pollyanna , I offer this ;

A couple of years ago , the FBI , yes , that's right , the FBI and NOT the FAA , busted a Muslim terrorist wannabe named Rezwan Ferdus in Ashland Massachusetts for planning to load a traditional fixed wing RC model aircraft with explosives and fly it into the Pentagon . No kidding , you can search this out and you'll find it's true . Now , if THAT didn't get us grounded for good , do ya really think some dolt with a flying camera is gonna be seen as being worse than a radical bent on terrorism ?

Thankfully , I think your predictions of our demise are , somewhat premature , at best . We WILL be flying for the foreseeable future , It's just a matter of how many hoops are gonna have to be jumped to enjoy the "right" to fly a remote controlled model aircraft .....

I think they arrested him for the intent. Not because he had a plan that worked. I believe in one of those articles it was pointed out that there would not be much damage from the small bombs that could be transported.,
Sport_Pilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:11 PM
  #261
I-fly-any-and-all
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,123
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

oops just let off a horn (triumphant fart)! I'm not leaving my beloved hobby.
I-fly-any-and-all is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:15 AM
  #262
HoundDog
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,480
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun
Um , , At the risk of trading in my tinfoil hat for a deckchair on the SS Pollyanna , I offer this ;

A couple of years ago , the FBI , yes , that's right , the FBI and NOT the FAA , busted a Muslim terrorist wannabe named Rezwan Ferdus in Ashland Massachusetts for planning to load a traditional fixed wing RC model aircraft with explosives and fly it into the Pentagon . No kidding , you can search this out and you'll find it's true . Now , if THAT didn't get us grounded for good , do ya really think some dolt with a flying camera is gonna be seen as being worse than a radical bent on terrorism ?

Thankfully , I think your predictions of our demise are , somewhat premature , at best . We WILL be flying for the foreseeable future , It's just a matter of how many hoops are gonna have to be jumped to enjoy the "right" to fly a remote controlled model aircraft .....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
I think they arrested him for the intent. Not because he had a plan that worked. I believe in one of those articles it was pointed out that there would not be much damage from the small bombs that could be transported.,
If this is the one of which I'm thinking I rember reading the enrichment and it seemed to me that the FBI or whom ever really led this guy on and on and made it possible for him. I think they even bought the planes for him and supplied the fake C$ cause he wanted to usr grnades. He also was making IED detainers from cell phones.
I found this but when U try to go to the actual enactment it says page not found.


http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/_NECN__Federal_Prosecutors_Have_Indicted_Rezwan_Fe rdaus_on_Six_Counts_NECN-251574651.html
HoundDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:19 AM
  #263
HoundDog
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,480
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

  • HoundDog,
  • 3 turn spin,
  • or170b,
  • dwair51,
  • 049flyer,
  • flyer7007
  • are the People present at this time in this thread but Only one have I ever see comment here or anywhere ... WHY. Probably a lot smarter than the rest of us. I say. Hope ya all ahd a merry Xmas and a happy new year now go fly your new DRONES
HoundDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:06 AM
  #264
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,972
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
I think they arrested him for the intent. Not because he had a plan that worked. I believe in one of those articles it was pointed out that there would not be much damage from the small bombs that could be transported.,
Well of course , Sport , they arrested him for intent , since he never actually crashed any explosive laden RC craft into the pentagon !

When someone tries to kill someone , but fails , they get charged with the intent , as in "attempted murder" or a foiled burglar is charged with an "attempted breaking & entering" if caught by Police after jimmying the door but before actually setting foot inside .

What has intent or accomplishment got to do with what I mentioned , in the context I mentioned it in ?

The Gent said that the next time a drone gets caught spying on someone and it's all over for the hobby . I mentioned the story of the attempted terrorist as proof that far worse things have hit the 6:00 news and as yet there is no ban on all RC flying . Now short of him actually carrying out the attack I can't see how the news could be much worse , and still yet we fly . Are you somehow trying to tell me that a foiled plan of an explosive attack on the pentagon is somehow LESS damaging than someone playing "peeping Tom" with their drone ? I ask in seriousness cause I just don't see where it was noteworthy to mention that he was "only" busted for the intent , when I had already said "Busted a terrorist wannabe for planning to load" , planning being the operative word as being "busted for planning " surely means the bust happened before the plan could be carried out ?

PS , Mr. Dog , Before ya go condemning the FBI over "leading him on" , please read the full story of this incident if you can find it somewhere out here in internetland . I live 30 or 40 miles away from where this happened and thus each and every development was the "leader" story on each nightly broadcast . The Guy's OWN MOSQUE turned him in to the FBI cause he was , over a period of a couple of years , speaking more and more radical garbage of wanting to attack America and Americans and he made his fellow Muslims nervous . There is a Mosque full of folks who did the RIGHT thing , they turned in the one among them that was talking seriously about hurting people in the name of Islam . Now , When the undercover FBI agent led him to believe he could do the damage he sought to do , he was ALL FOR IT , supplied the cash and supplies he was led to believe would be needed to carry out the attack and was fully intending to carry out the attack . I am happy is WAS the FBI and not some other fellow potential terrorist he ended up with , isn't that what we expect the FBI and such to do , to thwart attacks before they get beyond the well determined to be carried out planning stage ?
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:52 PM
  #265
Desertlakesflying
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sun Valley, NV
Posts: 2,272
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJ View Post
Most are going to continue. Lets face it, registering with the FAA is a small task in order to allow us to keep flying. WOOPDEEE Fing doo. At least the FAA didn't outright ban radio control all together.
So lets just sit back and let them take this step in that direction. The government never stops and an outright ban will come quicker than you think it will.
Desertlakesflying is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM
  #266
porcia83
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,208
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying View Post
So lets just sit back and let them take this step in that direction. The government never stops and an outright ban will come quicker than you think it will.
Uh huh. Why are all the people who predict this kind of nonsense unable to say when this will happen. Not looking for exact date, not even the year...how about just which decade? More doom, more gloom...meanwhile, flying continues.
porcia83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:57 PM
  #267
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying View Post
So lets just sit back and let them take this step in that direction. The government never stops and an outright ban will come quicker than you think it will.
So you using that logic why has it lasted this long in the first place?
Chris P. Bacon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:19 PM
  #268
HoundDog
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,480
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Well of course , Sport , they arrested him for intent , since he never actually crashed any explosive laden RC craft into the pentagon !

When someone tries to kill someone , but fails , they get charged with the intent , as in "attempted murder" or a foiled burglar is charged with an "attempted breaking & entering" if caught by Police after jimmying the door but before actually setting foot inside .

What has intent or accomplishment got to do with what I mentioned , in the context I mentioned it in ?

The Gent said that the next time a drone gets caught spying on someone and it's all over for the hobby . I mentioned the story of the attempted terrorist as proof that far worse things have hit the 6:00 news and as yet there is no ban on all RC flying . Now short of him actually carrying out the attack I can't see how the news could be much worse , and still yet we fly . Are you somehow trying to tell me that a foiled plan of an explosive attack on the pentagon is somehow LESS damaging than someone playing "peeping Tom" with their drone ? I ask in seriousness cause I just don't see where it was noteworthy to mention that he was "only" busted for the intent , when I had already said "Busted a terrorist wannabe for planning to load" , planning being the operative word as being "busted for planning " surely means the bust happened before the plan could be carried out ?

PS , Mr. Dog , Before ya go condemning the FBI over "leading him on" , please read the full story of this incident if you can find it somewhere out here in internetland . I live 30 or 40 miles away from where this happened and thus each and every development was the "leader" story on each nightly broadcast . The Guy's OWN MOSQUE turned him in to the FBI cause he was , over a period of a couple of years , speaking more and more radical garbage of wanting to attack America and Americans and he made his fellow Muslims nervous . There is a Mosque full of folks who did the RIGHT thing , they turned in the one among them that was talking seriously about hurting people in the name of Islam . Now , When the undercover FBI agent led him to believe he could do the damage he sought to do , he was ALL FOR IT , supplied the cash and supplies he was led to believe would be needed to carry out the attack and was fully intending to carry out the attack . I am happy is WAS the FBI and not some other fellow potential terrorist he ended up with , isn't that what we expect the FBI and such to do , to thwart attacks before they get beyond the well determined to be carried out planning stage ?

Did not the FBI Talk him out of using grenades and convinced him they could get him some C-4 and did not the FBI encourage him to continue to build IED Detonators from cell phones and did not the FBI tell him his denators KILLED american GI's and in fact did not the FBI Pay (Loan the Money ) for the acquisition of the aircraft?
If I remember correctly that was in the nightly news.
FBI agent led him to believe KEY words here "LED HIM"
I rest my case


I'll tell ya what happened here in Mesa AZ. A young lady Reporter from one of the local TV stations showed up during one of our Jet Rallies ... She kept trying to get any one to answer her only question. How much C-4 Explosive can U get in one of these Jets... it was repeatedly explained to here that there is No room in a Turbine powered Jet in which any if at all Significant amount of explosives. Then it was explained Not Just any one is able to fly any model airplane much less a turbine jet. She didn't want to here of it, Even after she was shown the inside of several different examples.

HoundDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 PM
  #269
drac1
 
drac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Romaine, Tasmania, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,409
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Uh huh. Why are all the people who predict this kind of nonsense unable to say when this will happen. Not looking for exact date, not even the year...how about just which decade? More doom, more gloom...meanwhile, flying continues.
Maybe Nostradamus had a prediction
drac1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:10 AM
  #270
porcia83
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,208
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Even a clock is right twice a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac1 View Post
Maybe Nostradamus had a prediction
So did Miss Cleo........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	2138317  
porcia83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:35 AM
  #271
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
So did Miss Cleo........
I never got through to Miss Cleo, the damn number was always busy.
Chris P. Bacon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:19 AM
  #272
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,972
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default


Last edited by init4fun; 12-29-2015 at 08:10 AM.
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:35 PM.