Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Old 12-16-2015, 02:33 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 049flyer
the

Yes greed and a total disregard for the potential unintended consequences by the AMA, drone operators, fellow modelers, and the modeling industry.

Those of us with a bit of gray in our hair and previous experience with the FAA, could see all of this coming long ago.
Explain the greed thing? The AMA is a non-profit, so why do they need all this money? The FAA doesn't profit from this either. The fees don't go into their pockets, that's not how it works.

Originally Posted by loopdeeloop
If an entire club really feels betrayed by the AMA, try this on for size. Drop the AMA association, have the club self insured using the money from the AMA membership to offset actual insurance cost or to build a self insurance fund. How effective that is would depend on the size of the club but larger clubs could certainly pull that off. There would likely be a rather significant "surcharge" or dues increase to meet that insurance cost. One can also have a million dollar personal liability umbrella for a reasonable fee with the club insurance secondary. That personal liability umbrella would be mandatory just like AMA membership at most sanctioned fields. What you lose in this process is help from the AMA for club improvements, disaster assistance, and other useful programs. Our club owns our facility and in the 30 years of existence (been a member about 10 years) I know of no instances where AMA insurance paid for anything. We did benefit from their disaster program however.
Well, there already are privately owned clubs out there that I believe don't require anything to join, just dues. But you bring up a good point, have a club "self insure". Lot's of complexities with that depending on who owns the land. The first hurdle to jump is the insurance. Imagine walking into an insurance agent's office and asking for liability coverage. For what the agent asks, and what limit. Pick 500K which is far below what the open AMA membership covers. Tell the agent it's for a bunch of guys to fly all types of RC aircraft, including heavy turbine jets that can go up to 150-200 mph. When he asks how many people specifically, you'll have to say you're not sure, more than one though.

If you manage to even get a quote, you would be shocked at the premium. If your club members are like those around here, they don't like spending extra money...it won't fly.

Just because the AMA doesn't publish claim payments (they do total figures however), doesn't mean they aren't happening. They happen a lot. Consider yourself lucky you aren't aware of them.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird
I already have my 2016 AMA dues paid in full.
I have sent out my 2016 dues to the four clubs I belong to (total $172)
I have 20 planes in the cellar ready to to fly (glow and electric)
I've been around model planes all my life and flying my own planes for 23 years.

Hmmm...what should I do???

Jaybird
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you sound like a Mini Me.

Only choice " WE " have is to keep them flying.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:25 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally, someone is isn't going to jump off a bridge. You pay a Driver License fee, Fishing, hunting, snowmobile, boat, license fee. If it helps find the bad drone drivers ( I have no clue how this will help) more power to them.
So if you believe your "rights" are being violated, don't register. You can bet that sometime in the near future ( next year) the AMA will require your FAA certificate number of you won't get an AMA card. So then you can quit the AMA.
More power to you. If all I have to do is pay 5.00 for 3 years So I can fly my 2000.00-3000.00 giant scale warbird it's no big deal to me. I don't fly quads ( drones) I don't consider them worth my time, money or effort. I far as I am concerned, Every time the FAA finds an un registered "drone" pilot, I hope they throw the "book" at them. They caused this mess and the AMA was a willing accomplice
Old 12-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

You can bet the govt. won't make that easy. Yeah, you might get #37 but it will be preceded by about a dozen zeros and your displayed number won't be "legal" unless all digits are displayed. Just saying. Believe me, I know..................I've had my share of dealings with the Fed. govt. and nothing they have anything to do with is either sensible or easy.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:00 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Originally Posted by Papa51
You can bet the govt. won't make that easy. Yeah, you might get #37 but it will be preceded by about a dozen zeros and your displayed number won't be "legal" unless all digits are displayed. Just saying. Believe me, I know..................I've had my share of dealings with the Fed. govt. and nothing they have anything to do with is either sensible or easy.
Per the FAA notice. The FAA certificate only has to accessible without tools. So it does not need to be displayed on the plane. Inside a hatch cover will work to satisfy the rules.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:37 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Tell the agent it's for a bunch of guys to fly all types of RC aircraft, including heavy turbine jets that can go up to 150-200 mph. ...
But wait, I thought these fliers were super safe? "Impeccable" safety record I think they've been saying. You're not saying that 55lb aircraft at 200mph are a risk are you?
Old 12-16-2015, 05:45 PM
jimm
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, so what about planes that don't have a "hatch" that can be removed without tools. Most modelers have their ama number on the wing inside the fuse that you only see when you remove the wing. Is there a minimum size font? How about making like. .5 size font where you almost need a magnifying glass ro read it?
Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

But wait, I thought these fliers were super safe? "Impeccable" safety record I think they've been saying. You're not saying that 55lb aircraft at 200mph are a risk are you?

The little electric heli that you fly in the schoolyard is a risk, so your attempt at the leading question and comparison is a fail.

Impeccable is about right...I don't think that's far off. There is no "perfect". Heavy planes that go fast are a risk, but one that the AMA seems to have no problem getting coverage for. Nobody is stopping anyone from trying to start their own alternative to the AMA. With what's been written this week, it should be easy to replace the leadership there and start over, or in the alternative, start their own group.

If the price is right...I'm in!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by jimm
Ok, so what about planes that don't have a "hatch" that can be removed without tools. Most modelers have their ama number on the wing inside the fuse that you only see when you remove the wing. Is there a minimum size font? How about making like. .5 size font where you almost need a magnifying glass ro read it?
Check the rules and make sure you are in compliance. If that's not possible for some reason, reach out to the FAA for additional help.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:54 PM
franklin_m

The little electric heli that you fly in the schoolyard is a risk...
I never said it wasn't. My point is that you clearly thought that turbines at high speed present more risk, otherwise why mention it to an agent? And with that increased risk also comes increased consequences I suppose.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM
porcia83
Banned

The point was to explain all the risks that are currently covered by the AMA policy (just for liability)...so that an apples to apples comparison and quote could be made.

What are you thoughts on another group being able to put together an insurance product that would appeal to potential members, and also to landowners?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

HOOOO Boy I can hardly wait been saving my hard earned buck should be some pretty good deals coming up then.

Dennis
Old 12-16-2015, 06:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

haha...right? I'll give you my opinion thought...not many guys are gonna give this up once they settle down and really think about it.

Unless of course they have better hobbies.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:53 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

federal law states that once something is proposed that we only have 10 days to appeal.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:00 PM
cordell staker

I lived outside the USA for three years. I gladly pay my taxes, licensing fees, dues, and required registrations to be able to do those things I enjoy doing….which includes fixed wing model airplanes.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
federal law states that once something is proposed that we only have 10 days to appeal.
What law is that specifically?
Old 12-16-2015, 10:10 PM
pappyd6
My Feedback: (21)

Leaving after 52 years of modeling and competing and a 27 year career as an Air Force Pilot. Got bit with the OMB hack and don't need any financial data in an vulnerable federal database to add to the info already lost. It's been fun, but just listen to the trolls on this site and you can see the difference from just a few years ago, the downhill slide of interpersonal communication and relationships has become argumentative and hostile at the drop of a hat, not friendly and helpful like it was just a few short years ago.....bye.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:38 AM
wally3185
My Feedback: (26)

The three biggest lies, Checks in the mail, You can't get pregnant this way, Where the FAA (AMA) and where here to help.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:22 AM
fliers1

Wonder how this registration thing will hamper bringing in potential new AMA members to the hobby/sport?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:19 AM
franklin_m

The point was to explain all the risks that are currently covered by the AMA policy (just for liability)...so that an apples to apples comparison and quote could be made.

What are you thoughts on another group being able to put together an insurance product that would appeal to potential members, and also to landowners?
I'm a USAA customer, and I've found them to be an outstanding provider. I've got some personal stuff to do over the next couple days, but I do intend to give them a call and ask some questions. It's certainly worth considering.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 AM
willig10

Well to answer the original question. I am out. Sold all my equipment and airplanes to a fellow club member. My take on the whole issue is government over reach. Our "AMA" has done nothing to stop this process especially after the congress told the FAA to not bother us.

I am just done.

Glenn
Old 12-17-2015, 05:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Well then it would seem to be the FAA you would have the beef with, not the AMA. If they FAA doesn't listen to congress, why would they listen to the AMA?

Sad to give up the hobby, but I'm sure your fellow club member is happy.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm a USAA customer, and I've found them to be an outstanding provider. I've got some personal stuff to do over the next couple days, but I do intend to give them a call and ask some questions. It's certainly worth considering.

They are about the best of the best. Exceptional service and reputation, people stay with them even though they can get cheaper insurance elsewhere, that's how good the service is. I don't believe they do commercial stuff though, just auto, home, and life insurance.

I believe AIG is the biggest commercial carrier out there, then Liberty Mutual, and Zurich. Chubb is another great carrier to deal with, they tend to insure all the big music and movie stars.

Statefarm might too...say hello to Jake when calling, and make sure to ask what he is wearing.

Commerical insurance is super competitive right now, but still expensive.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:37 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mr Porcia83:

Greed doesn't always involve money. In the case of the AMA their "Greed" is all about increasing power and membership, and to this end, they courted the "drone gang". EPIC FAIL!

As to the money part, I think it's obvious the industry, specifically the Chinese manufacturers, developed a device that enabled the average, attention starved "youtube" idiot a way to get their 1 minute of fame. Awesome profits for them but in the process they will have probably accelerated the decline of our hobby.

Many of us in the aviation industry know the FAA for what it is and desire no additional relationship with them. Is it prudent to risk a professional certification and livelyhood for a toy plane permit?

Remember, only a few short years ago it was unthinkable that a political party would use the IRS to influence a national election. What if they refuse to issue YOU a permit? No telling how the Govt will use the information. Pretty scary if you ask me.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:04 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

I ain't going no where after thirty years of flying. This is a nice hobby. I will do what is required. If you don't then they have won. I'll be damn if I'll let them do that. Besides the law can change in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.