Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:23 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I ain't going no where after thirty years of flying. This is a nice hobby. I will do what is required. If you don't then they have won. I'll be damn if I'll let them do that. Besides the law can change in the future."

Have you ever seen a law changed for the benefit of the people???
Old 12-17-2015, 07:48 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only $5 bucks now......You guys honestly think it'll stay that when it comes renewal time in 3 years? I don't.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

LOL!!! I will give 10cents on the dollar for all or you airplanes. This is offer is for everyone that is jumping ship.

$5.00 fee come on man. You spend 500.00 to 10,000.00 on a hobby and your upset about 5 bucks and 10 mins online to register yourself.

If you are worried about giving out your information then you need to craw back in to a hole. I am sure if you google yourself it's to late to hide.

If you are flying at a your local (community base or AMA) club field or at sanction event then nothing has changed for you except you out $5.00.

If you are a rouge flyer and don't want to follow any rules then yes sell it all...
Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you read this forum much at all you will know by now that it's mostly populated by people wanting to blow off steam. My favorites are the guys who tell you how lousy the AMA is and how terrible the officers are. etc. and end with "That's why I have never belonged." As my favorite TV homicide detective, Lt. Joe Kenda would say "My, my my."
Old 12-17-2015, 10:09 AM
stu48

I guess a lot of the disgruntled folks either forgot or never new that at one time we had to register with the FCC to use the old 27 MHz AM transmitters. Those using the 50-55 MHz frequency had to have a HAM license. As with all government "good intention" actions, those who are creating problems will most likely not register anyway. So... as with guns, honest people will register their guns and/or obtain concealed carry permits but criminals won't.

If a drone was sucked into a jet engine or collided with an aircraft, I wonder how much of the registration number would be found anyway.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 AM
rptasrs1

https://www.change.org/p/ama-members...iation-and-ama
Old 12-17-2015, 11:35 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I happy? no.
Did the AMA get steamrolled in these negotiations? yes.
Is the AMA still our best and only united voice going forward? yes.

Whether the AMA supported or didn't support quads is likely irrelevant. The AMA numbers are 185,000 people. There are 330,000,000 people in the U.S. give or take, if 1% of that population buys a quad for Christmas, that is 3.3 million quads sold. I know my brother in law bought 2 quads last week, he has no interest in flying or the AMA. he is entertaining his 4 year olds in his house with them... anyway, back on topic, 3.3 million quads is 17x the number of AMA members out there, we were a blip on the proverbial radar and not big enough to have a voice. We weren't the problem, but we are also such a small part of this that we were deemed irrelevant.

We can *****, quit, leave, take our ball and go find a new park to play in... but the fact of the matter is if we want to have a voice, the AMA is still the biggest megaphone we have. The only way we are heard is making the AMA bigger, not smaller which is what all this "i'm quitting talk" equates to. nobody wins by dividing up into competing factions, we all lose.

Me? I'm not happy, I'm pissed, I've been at this since I was 8 and my father started one of the first clubs back in the 1940's. Our family has been at this a long time. But I'm also not going to stop just b/c of an inconvenience. I also don't think it was the AMA's fault, I don't think the AMA ever had control of this situation or enough real power to control what the FAA said or did here. We shall see if 336 carries any weight behind it....

<--- just paid for a lifetime AMA membership today.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:42 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by mattnew
Am I happy? no.

Whether the AMA supported or didn't support quads is likely irrelevant. The AMA numbers are 185,000 people. There are 330,000,000 people in the U.S. give or take, if 1% of that population buys a quad for Christmas, that is 3.3 million quads sold. I know my brother in law bought 2 quads last week, he has no interest in flying or the AMA. he is entertaining his 4 year olds in his house with them... anyway, back on topic, 3.3 million quads is 17x the number of AMA members out there, we were a blip on the proverbial radar and not big enough to have a voice. We weren't the problem, but we are also such a small part of this that we were deemed irrelevant.

We can *****, quit, leave, take our ball and go find a new park to play in... but the fact of the matter is if we want to have a voice, the AMA is still the biggest megaphone we have. The only way we are heard is making the AMA bigger, not smaller which is what all this "i'm quitting talk" equates to. nobody wins by dividing up into competing factions, we all lose.

Me? I'm not happy, I'm pissed, I've been at this since I was 8 and my father started one of the first clubs back in the 1940's. Our family has been at this a long time. But I'm also not going to stop just b/c of an inconvenience. I also don't think it was the AMA's fault, I don't think the AMA ever had control of this situation or enough real power to control what the FAA said or did here. We shall see if 336 carries any weight behind it....

<--- just paid for a lifetime AMA membership today.
Great comments, and congrats on the membership!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 PM
rptasrs1

Anybody who thinks the AMA is still our best voice after this certainly makes me fear that Hillary can get elected
Old 12-17-2015, 12:03 PM
rptasrs1

The AMA is a necessary evil...truthfully guys...how many of you would join the AMA if it wasn't required to fly at your field? I know at this point I'd rather pay a speeding ticket with that money than give it to them.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:01 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
They are about the best of the best. Exceptional service and reputation, people stay with them even though they can get cheaper insurance elsewhere, that's how good the service is. I don't believe they do commercial stuff though, just auto, home, and life insurance.

I believe AIG is the biggest commercial carrier out there, then Liberty Mutual, and Zurich. Chubb is another great carrier to deal with, they tend to insure all the big music and movie stars.

Statefarm might too...say hello to Jake when calling, and make sure to ask what he is wearing.

Commerical insurance is super competitive right now, but still expensive.

All I'd be looking for is to see what it would take to insure me, my operations, regardless of where they take place, and that my insurance is primary. What I'm looking to learn is how much it would cost to add coverage equivalent to the AMA coverage.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
All I'd be looking for is to see what it would take to insure me, my operations, regardless of where they take place, and that my insurance is primary. What I'm looking to learn is how much it would cost to add coverage equivalent to the AMA coverage.
Aha, I thought you were looking for the other.

A standard homeowners policy almost always has 100k in primary liability coverage and of course higher limits can be purchased, 250-500k. The overwhelming amount of personal injury claims settle well below 100k, around 50k region. If you have assets though, it's crazy not to have at least 250 or even 500k. Injury and even property damage claims can add up. Umbrella coverage is the best, usually a million in coverage. If you have h/o and auto coverage and a good history, it shouldn't run more than 200-400 for that. Good luck, USAA will treat you right no matter what. They are the Norstroms of personal lines insurance.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:18 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rptasrs1
Anybody who thinks the AMA is still our best voice after this certainly makes me fear that Hillary can get elected
If you are going to be a troll, at least do it so it is either intelligent or funny. Doesn't even have to be both!

The AMA is our only voice. Best. Worst. Middling. ONLY...

Here is the truth, The AMA is not very powerful...it is relatively small.... its 185,000 members that all come on here to gripe about dues and having to pay the AMA money, and then complain when the AMA doesn't have the resources to "fight city hall" and they lose. Sorry but we don't get to have it both ways.

And there is no other game in town... sure you could go start your own, you'd get about 10,000-20,000 members, but you'd do it by offering cheaper rates than the AMA for similar service, and you'd have even less money than the AMA has to fight, and at the same time you'd hurt the AMA by denying them resources... I don't see how that helps anybody.

Money talks... if a truly better option comes along I'll consider it.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:23 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Am I happy? no.
I agree. But I require accountability. The AMA apologists and/or pollyannas say "whats done is done, damage is done, nothing to see here, just move along", blah blah.

I believe the accountability starts at the AMA Government Relations department.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I agree. But I require accountability. The AMA apologists and/or pollyannas say "whats done is done, damage is done, nothing to see here, just move along", blah blah.

I believe the accountability starts at the AMA Government Relations department.
Then hold them accountable. What's your plan?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

If you are going to be a troll, at least do it so it is either intelligent or funny. Doesn't even have to be both!

The AMA is our only voice. Best. Worst. Middling. ONLY...

Here is the truth, The AMA is not very powerful...it is relatively small.... its 185,000 members that all come on here to gripe about dues and having to pay the AMA money, and then complain when the AMA doesn't have the resources to "fight city hall" and they lose. Sorry but we don't get to have it both ways.

And there is no other game in town... sure you could go start your own, you'd get about 10,000-20,000 members, but you'd do it by offering cheaper rates than the AMA for similar service, and you'd have even less money than the AMA has to fight, and at the same time you'd hurt the AMA by denying them resources... I don't see how that helps anybody.

Money talks... if a truly better option comes along I'll consider it.
Great points. You must be one of those AMA apologists or pollyana's...or another favorite...sheeple. I will disagree on the 10-20k figure though, sort of optimistic. Folks want it both ways, heck, they want it everyway possible, and then some.

I'm waiting to see how all the folks so disenchanted with the FAA go out and start a new organization. Someone tried it 20 years ago and failed, maybe now is the right time. I love competition, consumers usually benefit from that. It's been noted that the SFA prompted the AMA to become most customer service oriented. Maybe the new organization will force more change.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:16 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by franklin_m
A cuppla things.......what I did, consider and see if it's something that meets your needs.
I have a HO policy which typically has broad liability coverage, including operation of model airplanes. The MA part of coverage has but one exclusion, no human passengers (compare that to AMA personal insurance, with exclusions in lettered paragraphs running almost through the alphabet) . It is primary coverage with a $300K liability limit. Same limit for auto policies, but coverage is nowhere as near broad as HO, and doesn't cover MA ops. A PUP (secondary insurance) from GEICO raises the liability limit for all primary (HO, auto, and Landlord) policies by $2M. Because risk of very large liability claim losses are small compared to the vast majority of claims it is generally sold in big $$ increments, $1M steps for my GEICO policy, IIRC.
Not sure why you want primary coverage, except as many have expressed in this forum so a claim does not impact your HO resulting in higher premiums for a number of years. I don't think that works.........when coverage for the same risk is provided by more than one insurer, the cost of a claim is normally apportioned between them in shares determined by state laws. AMA claims that the primary insurance covering the landowner of a chartered club flying site pays before any other coverage he may have, but frankly I don't know how that works....super-primary coverage????
Old 12-17-2015, 02:28 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

It would be nice if a person could get insurance to be able to fly at events without having to read about all the drones and drone adds in the AMA mag. that I could not give a rats @$$ about!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:35 PM
wally3185
My Feedback: (26)

It's not the $5.00 it's what he $5.00 represents. I believe the beginning of the end of model aviation as we know it. The camels nose is not under the tent, the whole camel is in the tent. Just a matter of how much damage he or she will do.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:46 PM
fly24-7

People wont have to quit in droves. The hobby will slowly self extinguish. The door's been cracked with "$5 and a number." It will likely be kicked open somewhere down the road with more legislation because this registration scheme will have no meaningful effect on curbing irresponsible use. The only one's who'll bother registering are those who play by the rules to begin with. Do you think the goofballs who are doing stupid stuff will bother to register?

So, when more legislation comes, mom and dad will end up saying, "No park-flyer or drone for little Johnny. Don't want to deal with that governmental stuff so he can play with a toy." New entrants to the hobby will dry up, sales by manufacturers will dry up and the die-hards will be the last to hang on. I'll be one of them and will enjoy it until it all becomes too impractical to keep going. All good things eventually come to and end. At some point, this will too. Oh well, we'll still have RealFlight...

Last edited by fly24-7; 12-17-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:55 PM
hairy46

I too believe that the 5.00 is only the beginning, and the end of this great hobby is not far behind.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

from 5.00 to the end of the hobby...what is your timeframe?
Old 12-17-2015, 03:01 PM
hairy46

I bet we won't recognize it for what it was in five years,

Last edited by hairy46; 12-17-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
A cuppla things.......what I did, consider and see if it's something that meets your needs.
I have a HO policy which typically has broad liability coverage, including operation of model airplanes. The MA part of coverage has but one exclusion, no human passengers (compare that to AMA personal insurance, with exclusions in lettered paragraphs running almost through the alphabet) . It is primary coverage with a $300K liability limit. Same limit for auto policies, but coverage is nowhere as near broad as HO, and doesn't cover MA ops. A PUP (secondary insurance) from GEICO raises the liability limit for all primary (HO, auto, and Landlord) policies by $2M. Because risk of very large liability claim losses are small compared to the vast majority of claims it is generally sold in big $$ increments, $1M steps for my GEICO policy, IIRC.
Not sure why you want primary coverage, except as many have expressed in this forum so a claim does not impact your HO resulting in higher premiums for a number of years. I don't think that works.........when coverage for the same risk is provided by more than one insurer, the cost of a claim is normally apportioned between them in shares determined by state laws. AMA claims that the primary insurance covering the landowner of a chartered club flying site pays before any other coverage he may have, but frankly I don't know how that works....super-primary coverage????
That is not always how it works. A review of all policies is needed in order to examine the language. In most cases a standard ISO based policy will claim to be excess to any other insurance. Commercial policies vary, as do manuscript policies. Don't forget as well that not everyone who flies at an AMA club has homeowners coverage, or even renters coverage. The limits afforded to them via the AMA coverage is their only layer of protection, so if they are off in a field somewhere and something happens, they most likely will eb covered.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hairy46
I bet we won't recognize it for what it as in five years,
I bet the following will happen. We'll all still be flying complaining about the AMA, and trying to figure out how to sneak the newest plane in the house while using the same excuse..I traded it for one of mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.