Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 03:08 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time will tell, right now it only our opinions! Neither proven right or wrong yet.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:19 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by porcia83
That is not always how it works. A review of all policies is needed in order to examine the language. In most cases a standard ISO based policy will claim to be excess to any other insurance. Commercial policies vary, as do manuscript policies. Don't forget as well that not everyone who flies at an AMA club has homeowners coverage, or even renters coverage. The limits afforded to them via the AMA coverage is their only layer of protection, so if they are off in a field somewhere and something happens, they most likely will eb covered.
I didn't say "in excess," though I did infer it when I referred to a PUP. Most HO policies conform to ISO guidelines, and if two primary policies each claim to be in excess of any other, then what in your vast knowledge happens? I was referring to two primary policies, e.g., HO liability and a primary policy limited to risk of flying a model airplane) covering the same risk in what you highlighted. You must have read it, else you randomly highlighted part of my post.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On second thought, I'll refrain from sharing any knowledge, let along the vast knowledge. I know it must be possible to have a conversation without the snide comments.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:51 PM
rptasrs1

You really are a go along to get along kinda guy aren't you? Fact of the matter is if the AMA had made a clear distinction between traditional RC and those with autonomous flight systems and FPV we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. They chose to chase that pie in the sky drone money that they're never going to see. I can't wait to see how many of the estimated 1 million recipients of drones this Christmas run to their computers to register with the FAA and join the AMA before they run out into their cul de sacs and smack that thing into their neighbors car, but wait maybe they'll be busy finding out if they're too close to an airport before they fly... Seriously doubt either. The AMA ignored their constituency whether you like it or not that's a fact whether they're a small organization or not they let us down. Stand up when you've been slighted don't go along to get along!!! And don't let your wife tell you when you can fly either..go when you want!!! I'm so sick of guys that have been defanged and deballed. That's what's wrong with this whole country!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:57 PM
mike_tx

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph2PMs2-7G4

I might consider this!

toss a gopro on this lil dude!

Last edited by mike_tx; 12-18-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rptasrs1
You really are a go along to get along kinda guy aren't you? Fact of the matter is if the AMA had made a clear distinction between traditional RC and those with autonomous flight systems and FPV we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. They chose to chase that pie in the sky drone money that they're never going to see. I can't wait to see how many of the estimated 1 million recipients of drones this Christmas run to their computers to register with the FAA and join the AMA before they run out into their cul de sacs and smack that thing into their neighbors car, but wait maybe they'll be busy finding out if they're too close to an airport before they fly... Seriously doubt either. The AMA ignored their constituency whether you like it or not that's a fact whether they're a small organization or not they let us down. Stand up when you've been slighted don't go along to get along!!! And don't let your wife tell you when you can fly either..go when you want!!! I'm so sick of guys that have been defanged and deballed. That's what's wrong with this whole country!!!
I'm no more a go along get along guy then you are a shortsighted one. See how that works? I'm not really into labels, but they sure do seem to spring up with anyone offering a different opinion. People can rant and vent all they want about the AMA and the pie in the sky drone money (AMA is nonprofit soo....)..doesn't matter what the AMA did before this ruling, as it turns out the FAA did what they wanted. Let's see if the customer base runs away from DJI whining about how their interests weren't served because the FAA didn't accept everything DJI wanted. That logic should hold right? Same with Amazon etc etc. People will make the choice to register or not..fly or not...whatever they chose, so be it. I'm not giving up the hobby I love because of $5.00 and 5 minutes on a site.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Mr_Scary
My Feedback: (6)

This has been my hobby/passion for the last 23 years. I am not letting this little extra annoyance stop me!!
Old 12-17-2015, 08:33 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by fly24-7
The only one's who'll bother registering are those who play by the rules to begin with. Do you think the goofballs who are doing stupid stuff will bother to register?
+1...that sums it up perfectly.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Accept that now we see from postings here all the previously law/rule abiding AMA members..who love to tout their years of flying safe and following the rules...openly stating that they will violate the law and fly without registering. I guess they only follow the rules and laws they agree with? Selective law abiding law breakers I guess?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:52 AM
hairy46

No its not that at all, we have followed the rules and the drone guys have not, and we do not like being punished for something we have not been doing!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:59 AM
hairy46

I still stand by that in five years we will not recognize this hobby and the only ones in it will be the ones that dotted on the i's and crossed all the t's, the government foot is in the door and now the AMA rules are void and the gov. Is the new rulers of the hobby.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:24 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not drunk, not a dem, no koolaid but man does that take me back. My drink of choice is Coke. a horrible choice. Ah that turn of the cap, that hsssss, a and the first sip. Heaven! Harder to give up than smoking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Best of luck to you in the new year with the whole "rouge" thing. You might be one of those lucky few that have a private club that doesn't require AMA, or like others here fly by yourself. Blue skies and calm winds......

I'm addicted to Coke as well... oh wait did you mean the soda?

AMA posted this recently:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...odel-aircraft/
Old 12-18-2015, 06:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hairy46
No its not that at all, we have followed the rules and the drone guys have not, and we do not like being punished for something we have not been doing!
Well actually it seems to be that at all....you either follow the rules or you do not follow the rules (I don't mean you specifically..just in general). If it comes to be that we are required by the FAA to register, then that should be done. I get that people are unhappy about it, that's not the issue. If one pounds their chest and says "I follow the rules and the law and it's the drones fault we have to register because they break the law"....then turn right around and pound their chests and say they will NOT follow the law...that makes them absolute hypocrites. They are no better than the rouge fliers they claim got is in this jam.

As for 5 years...yes, the hobby will have changed from now til then. Just like it did 5 years ago to now. Times change...technology changes..situations change....and people and organizations better change along with it else they become obsolete.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mattnew
I'm addicted to Coke as well... oh wait did you mean the soda?

AMA posted this recently:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...odel-aircraft/
Well ya the drink (20 ounce bottles are my fav)....ironically at the end of the day the stuff in the can is worse than the other.

As for the recent post..yup, more action by the AMA. I can tell you with 100% certainty that their next step will be vilified and second guessed and criticized as well. That's just what happens no matter what they do. Can't please everyone!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:56 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well ya the drink (20 ounce bottles are my fav)....ironically at the end of the day the stuff in the can is worse than the other.

As for the recent post..yup, more action by the AMA. I can tell you with 100% certainty that their next step will be vilified and second guessed and criticized as well. That's just what happens no matter what they do. Can't please everyone!
12 oz cans here...

storytime....
I volunteer at an animal shelter, working primarily with behavioral training of dogs, mostly pitbulls. You see the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly, often in the same day. The mission is to obviously get the dogs adopted, but you also have a mission to the public to only adopt out dogs that you feel good about. You can't adopt out a dog you feel is a risk to others. Nothing good comes of taking a risk and adopting out a dog that ends up mauling a child, etc.... You volunteer long enough and invariably there comes a time where you have a dog that you're working with that the shelter decides not to "move forward with", or euthanize. I can't really describe how hard it is, you've invested months, sometimes even years in a particular dog, and for whatever reasons the staff decides that it isn't in the best interest of the shelter or the community to move forward with an animal that you've put so much effort into. I remember one dog that was absolutely awesome with me and one of my all time favorites, but had scratched 3 other staff members and torn one person's clothing. I hated the decision at the time, but I sat back and thought about it. Would I have adopted the dog? no.. I couldn't with 2 small kids, Chuck wasn't able to control himself enough to be around kids...... Did I understand why they made the decision? Yes, if I myself wouldn't adopt the dog, how could I ask another family too? Overall big picture was it the right decision? probably, though I still miss that stinker. So, I understand why, I can get behind that, I don't like it..... but I can support it because I understand why they did it and I understand that it fits in with our larger mission.

Why did I tell that story.... Organization I was a part of made a decision I didn't like. I took the time to sit back and understand the decision and while I didn't like it personally, I realized that it was likely the right long term decision and the correct "big picture" decision. Our shelter has never adopted out a pitbull that has injured someone.... and we don't ever want to lose that.

So the AMA chose to embrace drones. Some people think this was wrong. The world is about to become "drones"... google and amazon are turning them into a business, you can buy them at almost any store, even Kohl's and Barns and Nobles are selling quads. If the AMA stayed separate, next year there would be 185000 AMA members and 10,000,000 drone pilots. or in other words, the AMA would be completely irrelevant when the FAA decides it needs to put some type of structure in place to manage the airspace. The FAA is going to focus on the 10,000,000, not the 185,000...but that doesn't mean we get left alone.. it is too hard to distinguish between an AMA member flying his foamy at the local park and a "drone operator" operating at the same park ( lets face it, not all of us AMA members only fly at our established field ) so I think it is more likely the FAA lumps our 1.8% of the group in with the other 98.2% and we have 1.8% of the say... or the equivalent of nothing. If the AMA embraces quads/drones/etc... they have a chance to grow teh membership. They don't get all, but if they get 25%, the numbers now show the AMA at 2685000 members and much more influential when they talk with the FAA. It was likely the only chance the AMA had in this....

So to sum up, I don't like how it went, but I understand why it was done. And since I understand why and I understand what they are trying to do I can continue to support them
Old 12-18-2015, 08:50 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say all you guys who are so incensed about this ruling should send your r/c equipment to a central location for disposal to show the government you can't be bullied! I will volunteer to dispose of it for you
Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
I say all you guys who are so incensed about this ruling should send your r/c equipment to a central location for disposal to show the government you can't be bullied! I will volunteer to dispose of it for you
Always looking out for your fellow hobbyist...you are too kind!
Old 12-18-2015, 09:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mattnew
12 oz cans here...

storytime....
I volunteer at an animal shelter, working primarily with behavioral training of dogs, mostly pitbulls. You see the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly, often in the same day. The mission is to obviously get the dogs adopted, but you also have a mission to the public to only adopt out dogs that you feel good about. You can't adopt out a dog you feel is a risk to others. Nothing good comes of taking a risk and adopting out a dog that ends up mauling a child, etc.... You volunteer long enough and invariably there comes a time where you have a dog that you're working with that the shelter decides not to "move forward with", or euthanize. I can't really describe how hard it is, you've invested months, sometimes even years in a particular dog, and for whatever reasons the staff decides that it isn't in the best interest of the shelter or the community to move forward with an animal that you've put so much effort into. I remember one dog that was absolutely awesome with me and one of my all time favorites, but had scratched 3 other staff members and torn one person's clothing. I hated the decision at the time, but I sat back and thought about it. Would I have adopted the dog? no.. I couldn't with 2 small kids, Chuck wasn't able to control himself enough to be around kids...... Did I understand why they made the decision? Yes, if I myself wouldn't adopt the dog, how could I ask another family too? Overall big picture was it the right decision? probably, though I still miss that stinker. So, I understand why, I can get behind that, I don't like it..... but I can support it because I understand why they did it and I understand that it fits in with our larger mission.

Why did I tell that story.... Organization I was a part of made a decision I didn't like. I took the time to sit back and understand the decision and while I didn't like it personally, I realized that it was likely the right long term decision and the correct "big picture" decision. Our shelter has never adopted out a pitbull that has injured someone.... and we don't ever want to lose that.

So the AMA chose to embrace drones. Some people think this was wrong. The world is about to become "drones"... google and amazon are turning them into a business, you can buy them at almost any store, even Kohl's and Barns and Nobles are selling quads. If the AMA stayed separate, next year there would be 185000 AMA members and 10,000,000 drone pilots. or in other words, the AMA would be completely irrelevant when the FAA decides it needs to put some type of structure in place to manage the airspace. The FAA is going to focus on the 10,000,000, not the 185,000...but that doesn't mean we get left alone.. it is too hard to distinguish between an AMA member flying his foamy at the local park and a "drone operator" operating at the same park ( lets face it, not all of us AMA members only fly at our established field ) so I think it is more likely the FAA lumps our 1.8% of the group in with the other 98.2% and we have 1.8% of the say... or the equivalent of nothing. If the AMA embraces quads/drones/etc... they have a chance to grow teh membership. They don't get all, but if they get 25%, the numbers now show the AMA at 2685000 members and much more influential when they talk with the FAA. It was likely the only chance the AMA had in this....

So to sum up, I don't like how it went, but I understand why it was done. And since I understand why and I understand what they are trying to do I can continue to support them
12 ounce not enough...24 too much.

Great comparisons and comments...perfectly puts into perspective what I'm sure some folks are feeling and thinking, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
"Man come on guys it's 5 bucks for a number. You would quit flying for that? Let's be thankful that we still have the opportunity to still fly. I be honest drones make me upset because of user lack of responsibility flying them. Lots of people like them because it's almost a guarantee they beable to fly it. Hey I love helies it's like riding weelies on a sport bike it's something not everyone can do that's some of the fun about. So you fly a drone big deal my mom could fly one too. Lol"

To your comment, by no means is it the $5.00 all of us can more than afford that and more ...it's the principal that we have been sold out by the AMA and the FAA so why wait to be sold out again?
It's not the $5, its the $23,000 bucks and 3 years if you have a flyaway!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:13 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Waaaaaa@aaaaa@@aaa@@aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh h! Bunch of babies. If youre gonna quit over this you were never a real modeler anyway! !#
Old 12-18-2015, 02:11 PM
fly24-7

Originally Posted by rptasrs1
Next to none of them will register because all of these products were manufacturers before this genius registration scheme went public. There's nothing in the box to prompt them to do so. Even then, most would ignore it because the kid will tear through the box, have the thing flying in five minutes and the box with the instructions will be in the garbage before the first flight's over. The only purpose for this registration is to be punitive in the even someone does something dumb, didn't register and get's caught. Then some government wonk can say, "Ah ha! You didn't register. Hefty fine for you!" They probably decided to take this measure because attempts to be punitive up to this point have been largely ineffective. I'm doubtful that this will discourage the boneheaded stuff that's going on today.

Last edited by fly24-7; 12-18-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

In all fairness...you have to realize that many of these "drones" won't make it past the first flight or two. Despite the fact that people seem to think anyone can fly them, they aren't that easy. They will fail to fly as intended, and probably crash and break...and since they are offbrand stuff, won't have spare parts. Honestly I'm more concerned for the environment from a landfill perspective than the damage they will do to people or property.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:42 PM
eaglen2fb
My Feedback: (41)

Read This !
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...cly-available/
Old 12-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Capt Crunch

I heard all the drone guys are leaving. After all, they are the root of this action by the FAA.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by eaglen2fb
Red herring sensationalized journalism. Why didn't the story mention that a public database is already available for scale pilots and their planes? Not quite the sizzle I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.