Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

With all the hype who is going to leave the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 05:46 AM
eaglen2fb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sign please !
https://www.change.org/p/federal-avi...fb_ref=Default
Old 12-19-2015, 06:25 AM
bigtinker
My Feedback: (10)

Greetings All, I can remember back a "few" years that another organization called the "sport flyer association" was trying to get started in response to the AMA's lack of leadership for the membership. Anybody else with information on this?? Maybe we let the Gov. bleed the AMA dry thru soon to be run away cost thru "MOB.gov" regulations. We the "non FPV" membership move on and away from this FPV stuff.. I guess I'm interested in the "grass roots" of this wonder full hobby. The taxing MOB.gov. "FIVE bucks" is just the start of the intervention of what MOB run GREED will bring. Regards, To All and have a Merry Christmas
Old 12-19-2015, 07:32 AM
rm1963

The time to buy is, when every body is selling.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:53 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone that knows how intrusive our gov. is knows the 5 bucks is just the very beginnings!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:00 AM
CB36

First of all, let me say I've been in this hobby off-and-on since the late 50's, (started with CL), so I have some opinions. They may seem pessimistic, (my wife will heartily concur that I am!), but I like to think that by being pessimistic you don't get many unpleasant surprises 😄.

I have to admit that I'm on the fence about getting out. I don't seem to get the same thrill I used to from the hobby and I really like building much more than flying,(always have). BUT, that being said, I think that if you didn't see all this coming a few years ago, you might have had blinders on, (no disrespect!). Some individuals have really messed it up for everybody by doing stupid, non-thinking things. Government involvement, being it local, state or federal was bound to be a consequence.

I do believe that this may be the beginning of the end of our hobby, (there I go again), but that's my opinion and I sincerely hope I'm wrong!

As for the AMA being the bad guy I say not necessarily so. True they are non-profit, but I imagine the lure of magazine advertising revenue from the multi-rotor industry was hard to resist.

As for multi-rotors, I don't particularly care for them, but, (and I'll admit I don't know much about 'em), I think their popularity has come about in large part due to the ease of learning to fly them and not necessarily needing a flying field. You "traditional" model aircraft folks out there know just how much was involved just to solo!

OK, enough from me!

Just remember, you can't regulate stupid!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:56 PM
willig10

You guys that are ok with the FAA bullying their way into our hobby and trying to either profit or buy equipment at cut rate prices are a bunch of weasels and ought to be ashamed of yourselves. This is government over reach pure and simple and now the cowardly AMA decides to say "wait to register". Our so called governing body has sat by and did nothing but allow the FAA to bully the modeling community into a profit center for them to the tune of around 15 million in a few years.

When are you guys going to wake up?

5 bucks now and what comes next? Time to stop this foolishness guys before it's too late.

I am am out for now and wish you guys the best, except the weasels as written above, you guys suck.

Glenn
Old 12-19-2015, 01:54 PM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by kmeyers
How about cut and paste the rules and a new insurance carrier? Then leave the AMA.

you will still have to register with the FAA geeze all the whinning
Old 12-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by willig10
You guys that are ok with the FAA bullying their way into our hobby and trying to either profit or buy equipment at cut rate prices are a bunch of weasels and ought to be ashamed of yourselves. This is government over reach pure and simple and now the cowardly AMA decides to say "wait to register". Our so called governing body has sat by and did nothing but allow the FAA to bully the modeling community into a profit center for them to the tune of around 15 million in a few years.

When are you guys going to wake up?

Hey let me know when your having your fire sale eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 bucks now and what comes next? Time to stop this foolishness guys before it's too late.

I am am out for now and wish you guys the best, except the weasels as written above, you guys suck.

Glenn
Hey Glen let me know when your having your fire sale eh!!!!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
you will still have to register with the FAA geeze all the whinning
Whining is good. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:10 PM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by kmeyers
Whining is good. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
whining is a sign of immaturity , I will register my planes at Monday dec 21 and wont worry one bit about it , I am registered with AMA , IMAC , MAA , SPA what is one more witj the FAA going to matter , I have been flying since 1981 and been with AMA scheeze register and quit complaining !!!!
Old 12-20-2015, 01:47 AM
Lennie Clark

I will,and I did not renew my ama membership for 2016.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:02 AM
hairy46

I do understand Glenn, once our gov. gets a foot in the door they don't stop. And being libs are running this country they will send THIER people out to stir up trouble to show the American people why we don't need the rc airplane folks. They do it with everything else so why would we be exempt?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:05 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
For now I will continue its been my passion for nearly 40 years.but how long I don't now.whoever dreamed building a model plane would get this complicated and so politicized.
Ditto! Over 40 years for me. I'll keep on keeping on and see what happens.

I will say this - the AMA leadership has left a bad taste in my mouth for several years now. A change of some kind is certainly needed in Muncie!

Art Shelton
AMA# 44223
Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 AM
hairy46

My life revolves around building and flying, and so does my grandchildren love this hobby, but sure am having trouble spending anytime at the workbench over this crap!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:15 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

I'm ready. Wanna buy me out? To much to list.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you ship, or will you deliver?
Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mike31
I'm ready. Wanna buy me out? To much to list.
I'd be much more than just a little interested in 72mhz radios & .60 engines for reasonable prices.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:31 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see regulation as a threat to the hobby. The FAA has had lots of opportunity to squash general aviation and, if anything, they have made it easier to get a certification (sport and recreational certs). And the FCC has had lots of opportunity to squash ham radio, but they have made it easier to get a license (no code, dumbed down the theory test, volunteer examiners). I don't think there is some grand government conspiracy to kill our hobby.

I see our number one threat as lack of interest by younger people. The average age in my club is around 65. Our members are dying off and not being replaced. Most younger people have no interest in the hobby. They did not grow up with aviation like we did. They wonder why we want to hand fly an airplane - a computer can do that just fine.

And our number two threat, at least around here, is loss of flying sites. There are fewer and fewer clubs where we can fly large glow and gas engines. This is not because of government regulation. It is because people who live close by will not tolerate the noise level. And it doesn't help that the hobby has moved toward bigger engines.

Last edited by JPMacG; 12-20-2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: better clarity
Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 AM
poison

What is up with us now days as soon as things get tuff we just give up? Where would We be if are soldiers fighting for are freedom just gave up? For me and my house I will server the LORD and fly RC helicopters even if they keep putting restrictions on booth!! let's stand be hind the things we love folks
Old 12-20-2015, 11:16 AM
hairy46

Amen Poison!
Old 12-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Registering. My first reaction.... no way. Then I heard the plan. Now I'm in favor. It will ground some of the yahoos and make it safer for everyone by punishing the jerks. I'm in favor of that. 44 years in the hobby. I'm not going anywhere. I spend about $5 a session for fuel when I fly nitro, and it's free to register the first three years. Cost is not a factor. My government is protecting my right to fly and enjoy my hobby.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:45 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli
Registering. My first reaction.... no way. Then I heard the plan. Now I'm in favor. It will ground some of the yahoos and make it safer for everyone by punishing the jerks. I'm in favor of that. 44 years in the hobby. I'm not going anywhere. I spend about $5 a session for fuel when I fly nitro, and it's free to register the first three years. Cost is not a factor. My government is protecting my right to fly and enjoy my hobby.
Exactly, Tony. I'll make a WAG, but I'm pretty sure it is true. The US government has never taken any action to infringe on your freedom to pursue your hobby in the 44 years you have been into it, right?
Old 12-20-2015, 02:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Exactly, Tony. I'll make a WAG, but I'm pretty sure it is true. The US government has never taken any action to infringe on your freedom to pursue your hobby in the 44 years you have been into it, right?
What about the frequency allocation debacle...?
Old 12-20-2015, 04:26 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by combatpigg
What about the frequency allocation debacle...?
You're right CP, I was thinking narrowly of FAA only and not FCC. There were a couple of flaps involving them that I recall. Back when we mainly flew on CB, FCC raised the license fee by about an order of magnitude. Response of the user community (of which RC modelers were a small part) refused to pay it in numbers significant enough that FCC threw in the towel and decreed it a license fee band. Later, while FCC was shuffling allocations to meet needs of the expanding user base in the spectrum, it looked like RC modelers operating in the 72 Mhz band might get squeezed out. AMA stepped up to the plate, formed a frequency committee to analyze the impact and came up with a position to negotiate with FCC for. Apocryphal account from our friend Horrace Cain is that negotiations came to a stalemate, and some AMA money passed under the table to a cog in the FCC machine to break it loose. That was back in the good 'ol days when AMA supported model aviation rather than the corporation as an entity unto itself.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm changing my habits, moving to all electric, slightly smaller size, and continue to fly to my heart's content at park and school within 200 yards of my home. Thus the "AMA entry fee," only to then have to pay an even higher fee to access a club field, is rendered unnecessary. I'll put that nearly $200 annually into batteries, planes, and receivers.
Did you get permission from the school to fly there? Did they inquire about liability insurance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.