Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Let's join together and refuse the FAA registration

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Let's join together and refuse the FAA registration

Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffrey solomon
That's is right no homeowners policy will cover for accidents at the flying field (or too few to be a statistic)

yet, you will hear the highly uninformed repeating it like it is a friggin mantra

Homeowners is primary !, Homeowner is primary !

Hari Krishna , Krishna, Krishan,,Hari, Hari.

These guys need to feel important and all they do is spread misinformation,

Hopefully more people will get wise and look into alternatives to the AMA insurance.

Commercial drone insurance for a business is $1500/year I would hazard a guess that non-commercial

would be substantially cheaper.

I think we are coming to a parting of the ways with the AMA
As I said they quit writing such polices years ago. There may be a few exceptions or grandfathered in from an older policy.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM
jmiles1941

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMA is our CBO according to the FAA we fly with the AMA safety code and insurance, my understanding
Old 01-21-2016, 10:23 AM
jmiles1941

my home owners will not cover my rc airplanes in my home or at the field , agent came out and looked and said they are not covered at all , so I have 15 airplanes from 25% to 45% only coverage is AMA , should be a company that would insure theses planes cause if they are stolen or a fire etc I get nothing , I have around 60k in my airplanes
Old 01-21-2016, 10:31 AM
jmiles1941

Dalton extra 260 35% with DLE 120 5500.00
Aeroworks Extra 300 42% DLE 170 6900.00
Aeroworks 40% YAK DLE 120 5300.00
J TECH 35% extra DLE 111 4800.00

just a few of them and that is 23000 dollars still have 9 more
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dalton maiden flight.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2142671   Click image for larger version

Name:	cmj5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	2142672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dalton extra 260.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2142673   Click image for larger version

Name:	cmj3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	2142674   Click image for larger version

Name:	workshop11.png
Views:	103
Size:	694.3 KB
ID:	2142675   Click image for larger version

Name:	my airplanes 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2142676  
Old 01-21-2016, 10:40 AM
STKNRUD

Originally Posted by jmiles1941

That is apart of your extended property coverage. Did you ask about liability coverage? Shop around. I know mine are covered for loss. Also, it may be a function of the dollar value of your extended coverage. You may be able to get additional rider like is available for computer equipment and jewelry, etc. Also, the AMA policy does not cover loss either...only liability.

Last edited by STKNRUD; 01-21-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 AM
STKNRUD

Originally Posted by porcia83
Kudos to you for going one step further and checking in with the UW, however they do not make the ultimate decision on coverage, claims examiners (sometimes with lawyers) do. Also it's not currently illegal to fly without a registration.

Many "illegal" acts are very much covered under the terms of a h/o or auto policy. If they weren't there would be far less reason to carry the coverage.
Your liability insurance covers you in the event you are sued by a third party involved in a traffic accident regardless of what you did to cause the accident be it going through a stop sign or a tire blowing out but were legally able to drive. If you are driving unlawfully (without a license or suspended license, etc), you are not covered. You if shoot someone accidentally while hunting, you are covered. If you put the gun to their head and murder them, you are not. It is whether the activity was lawful that matters.

Last edited by STKNRUD; 01-21-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:17 AM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by STKNRUD
That is apart of your extended property coverage. Did you ask about liability coverage? Shop around. I know mine are covered for loss. Also, it may be a function of the dollar value of your extended coverage. You may be able to get additional rider like is available for computer equipment and jewelry, etc. Also, the AMA policy does not cover loss either...only liability.
my fender guitars are covered my computers are covered but he says no way on the airplanes , we have Farm Bureau maybe I need to check another agent thanks
Old 01-21-2016, 11:19 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Exactly, there are limits to what is covered. AMA will cover loss in some first and third party situations.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

my fender guitars are covered my computers are covered but he says no way on the airplanes , we have Farm Bureau maybe I need to check another agent thanks
It's always best to shop your overages around sometimes. Also, don't be afraid to go directly to the company who covers you rather than to the agent only. Agents are human and routinely make mistakes as well in terms of what is and what isn't covered, that's part of the reason they carry errors and omissions coverage (or should).
Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

Your liability insurance covers you in the event you are sued by a third party involved in a traffic accident regardless of what you did to cause the accident be it going through a stop sign or a tire blowing out. If you are driving illegally (without a license), you are not covered.
I'm sorry, but you are completely incorrect. That is absolutely wrong. Your policy absolutely covers you for illegal acts, you even referenced one of the biggest ones out there, illegal acts while operating a vehicle. There are two types of coverages at play as well, first and third party. In very rare cases will a third party not get compensation. In some limited situations first party coverage can be denied, but not being licensed is not the determining factor in a denial of coverage. I'll ask you the same as I asked others, read your policy and look for the that specific exclusion (it's not there). Even ones that are specific like "intentional acts" are nebulous and gray....
Old 01-21-2016, 11:33 AM
jeffrey solomon

Well then Sport_Pilot is spreading misinformation too. He wrote to me agreeing that homeowners policies in the majority don't apply.
So tell us all "Mr. Allstate how does the homeowners policy work in conjunction with the AMA coverage?
You never provide information in your posts you just parrot what you have been told by the AMA, you need a disinterested party to
at least provide some new information.
I have spoken to several insurance agents and the information they gave me was that homeowners coverage
is not applicable for injuries sustained at a model airplane club.
There is such a thing as "hobby insurance" especially equestrian insurance but that is purchased separately,
I would recommend that you purchase a policy that specifically covers the horses' hindquarters.
You are a high risk, in that area.

Inspections of fields I have been told occur after an incident is reported and a claim is made.
This was written about some time ago in great detail by one of the posters. (Flyer was hit in the neck by .60 size plane, almost died)
The field is inspected and the details of the accident are documented.
If the field is improperly constituted that could void the policy.

What's the argument?

Are you saying , "If the field is not set up right, the AMA insurance adjuster, will just let it go?"
I am sure the adjuster would use a modicum of discretion but, if there is a serious infraction (as defined by AMA standards) it would be a negative
factor.
Are you so naive as to think it could not void an insurance policy?

I realize that pointing out any problems with the AMA you perceive as a personal attack on you, but
you can't seriously support the idea that your "wise"dom tells you there are no alternatives to AMA and its' insurance coverage.
It is apparent that you efforts are focused on keeping people ignorant of alternatives to the AMA.
I can't believe any intelligent person would write a sentence like;
"The "wise" ones know there is no alternative and for the most part will do nothing to change that." (change scares you)
Yes,the wise people are, according to you, people who accept a bad situation and do nothing to change it, accept follow your advice.
That's what scares you, if somehow the AMA is dissolved or loses its' standing, then your standing would also be diminished.
What is this attachment to the AMA ? What are you going steady? Did the AMA pin you ? In an exclusive relationship?

You certainly have learned little during your life .

Here is a list of drone insurance companies for commercial drones I think a person could secure a recreational policy for less $
In no particular order, here’s a list of companies that offer UAV insurance, at least here in the U.S. where we’re based:
The team over at ArcadiaSky maintains a separate list of insurance providers outside of the U.S., particularly drone insurance in Australia and in the U.K.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Well then Sport_Pilot is spreading misinformation too. He wrote to me agreeing that homeowners policies in the majority don't apply.
So tell us all "Mr. Allstate how does the homeowners policy work in conjunction with the AMA coverage?
You never provide information in your posts you just parrot what you have been told by the AMA, you need a disinterested party to
at least provide some new information.
I have spoken to several insurance agents and the information they gave me was that homeowners coverage
is not applicable for injuries sustained at a model airplane club.
There is such a thing as "hobby insurance" especially equestrian insurance but that is purchased separately,
I would recommend that you purchase a policy that specifically covers the horses' hindquarters.
You are a high risk, in that area.

Inspections of fields I have been told occur after an incident is reported and a claim is made.
This was written about some time ago in great detail by one of the posters. (Flyer was hit in the neck by .60 size plane, almost died)
The field is inspected and the details of the accident are documented.
If the field is improperly constituted that could void the policy.

What's the argument?

Are you saying , "If the field is not set up right, the AMA insurance adjuster, will just let it go?"
I am sure the adjuster would use a modicum of discretion but, if there is a serious infraction (as defined by AMA standards) it would be a negative
factor.
Are you so naive as to think it could not void an insurance policy?

I realize that pointing out any problems with the AMA you perceive as a personal attack on you, but
you can't seriously support the idea that your "wise"dom tells you there are no alternatives to AMA and its' insurance coverage.
It is apparent that you efforts are focused on keeping people ignorant of alternatives to the AMA.
I can't believe any intelligent person would write a sentence like;
"The "wise" ones know there is no alternative and for the most part will do nothing to change that." (change scares you)
Yes,the wise people are, according to you, people who accept a bad situation and do nothing to change it, accept follow your advice.
That's what scares you, if somehow the AMA is dissolved or loses its' standing, then your standing would also be diminished.
What is this attachment to the AMA ? What are you going steady? Did the AMA pin you ? In an exclusive relationship?

You certainly have learned little during your life .

Here is a list of drone insurance companies for commercial drones I think a person could secure a recreational policy for less $
In no particular order, here’s a list of companies that offer UAV insurance, at least here in the U.S. where we’re based:
The team over at ArcadiaSky maintains a separate list of insurance providers outside of the U.S., particularly drone insurance in Australia and in the U.K.
Well if Sport agrees with you it must be true.

More personal attacks, oh well. It would take me hours to try to point out everything you have been wrong about and why. Usually others have pointed this out but you never admit it. You are completely wrong on the insurance thing, and have been consistently incorrect on many AMA issues as well. Now you're moving the goalpost to talk about commercial insurance, which is of course a whole different ball of wax. Listen to others here or multiple agents (who would need to talk to multiple agents...?) but your question is answered in a document you already have; Your insurance policy (assuming you have one). Read it, pay specific attention to the Exclusions. See any there that fit? No, you don't, because they aren't there. That sort of wraps in up right there.
More
Old 01-21-2016, 12:01 PM
STKNRUD

I'm sorry, but you are completely incorrect. That is absolutely wrong. Your policy absolutely covers you for illegal acts, you even referenced one of the biggest ones out there, illegal acts while operating a vehicle. There are two types of coverages at play as well, first and third party. In very rare cases will a third party not get compensation. In some limited situations first party coverage can be denied, but not being licensed is not the determining factor in a denial of coverage. I'll ask you the same as I asked others, read your policy and look for the that specific exclusion (it's not there). Even ones that are specific like "intentional acts" are nebulous and gray....
I am not completely incorrect. In order to obtain insurance, you must provide a valid driver's license. If you don't have one, you can't get insurance. If, when they run the DMV report, they learn that your license has been suspended or revoked, your insurance will be canceled for miss-representation and not meeting a requirement of the issuance of the policy. If you have an accident and the underwriter can make a case that you committed a crime by operating the car without a license, they will not cover you. So the question is, 'is driving with a revoked license a crime?' So much for auto policies, technical questions and loop-holes and back to the purpose of this thread...if you want to fly without registering, please verify with your insurance agent if your liability policy will protect you since it would be a federal offense subject to fine and imprisonment to do so.

Last edited by STKNRUD; 01-21-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

I am not completely incorrect. In order to obtain insurance, you must provide a valid driver's license. If you don't have one, you can't get insurance. If, when they run the DMV report, they learn that your license has been suspended or revoked, your insurance will be canceled for miss-representation and not meeting a requirement of the issuance of the policy. If you have an accident and the underwriter can make a case that you committed a crime by operating the car without a license, they will not cover you. So the question is, 'is driving with a revoked license a crime?' So much for auto policies, technical questions and loop-holes and back to the purpose of this thread...if you want to fly without registering, please verify with your insurance agent if your liability policy will protect you since it would be a federal offense subject to fine and imprisonment to do so.
I'm sorry, but you are still wrong. You don't actually have to have a drivers license to get an insurance policy for your vehicle. While not common, it happens many many times. Also, while you can be insured and have a license, then have that license become not in effect, that in no way voids a policy, or becomes a situation that will automatically void coverage. It is NOT an automatic mis-rep scenario, again, find a provision in the policy that says this exactly. If you can't, then it's not a valid reason to cancel. An insurance policy is a contract, very specifically written and any gray or ambiguous language matters are found in favor of the insured, almost always.

Coverage will still attach even if you are not registered federally, and the AMA has confirmed this. As always though, in terms of your h/o coverage, it's always best to get in touch with an agent, or carrier directly.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:43 PM
jeffrey solomon

Why impugn Sport Flyer? Because he found out that his homeowners policy won't cover him, and that doesn't jive with your picture?
Hours to explain ? That is your usual excuse.
Its' too time consuming. and " you have been consistently incorrect on many AMA issues as well" even if that was true, which it is not
quite the opposite, would that mean I incapable of being correct now?
You've been wrong before so you can't be right now. That's what your saying to support your position you coward.
How typical.
Instead of answering it, you plead your too busy. I doubt that.
You have used that excuse a lot. Because you have nothing to back it up with.

I admit, I only called several agents, not all the insurance agents in the USA, even if all the agents were called you would still be intractable,

There are only 3 issues in my post:
I can see that these points would take hours and hours to respond to.

1) Would most homeowners policy cover an RC flyer for an accident ? or most don't? (a few others have answered their policies don't)
2) Would a flying field be visited by an AMA insurance adjuster after an accident, was field compliant. or not ?
3) Are there other insurance companies that might be an ALTERNATIVE source for coverage or not ?

Oh ! I forgot in Porcia's world there are no alternatives, as you said, "The "wise" ones know there is no alternative and for the most part will do nothing to change."

Ok ,Mr Authority let's hear your next excuse for not answeringsomething like thisI would imagine knowing your techniques
Well its a case by case situation and you can't generalize, it would take millions years and hundreds of dollars to explain.............
Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry, but you are still wrong. You don't actually have to have a drivers license to get an insurance policy for your vehicle. While not common, it happens many many times. Also, while you can be insured and have a license, then have that license become not in effect, that in no way voids a policy, or becomes a situation that will automatically void coverage. It is NOT an automatic mis-rep scenario, again, find a provision in the policy that says this exactly. If you can't, then it's not a valid reason to cancel. An insurance policy is a contract, very specifically written and any gray or ambiguous language matters are found in favor of the insured, almost always.

Coverage will still attach even if you are not registered federally, and the AMA has confirmed this. As always though, in terms of your h/o coverage, it's always best to get in touch with an agent, or carrier directly.
Tom, why on earth don't you tell them what you do for a living and that you actually know what your talking about when it comes to this subject? Its not like you not to take credit every opportunity you get, so it's odd that you wouldn't tell what your profession is. It's very possible that if they have seen many of your other posts that they struggle to accept what you say here as being correct.

Last edited by TheEdge; 01-21-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

Why impugn Sport Flyer? Because he found out that his homeowners policy won't cover him, and that doesn't jive with your picture?
Hours to explain ? That is your usual excuse.
Its' too time consuming. and " you have been consistently incorrect on many AMA issues as well" even if that was true, which it is not
quite the opposite, would that mean I incapable of being correct now?
You've been wrong before so you can't be right now. That's what your saying to support your position you coward.
How typical.
Instead of answering it, you plead your too busy. I doubt that.
You have used that excuse a lot. Because you have nothing to back it up with.

I admit, I only called several agents, not all the insurance agents in the USA, even if all the agents were called you would still be intractable,

There are only 3 issues in my post:
I can see that these points would take hours and hours to respond to.

1) Would most homeowners policy cover an RC flyer for an accident ? or most don't? (a few others have answered their policies don't)
2) Would a flying field be visited by an AMA insurance adjuster after an accident, was field compliant. or not ?
3) Are there other insurance companies that might be an ALTERNATIVE source for coverage or not ?

Oh ! I forgot in Porcia's world there are no alternatives, as you said, "The "wise" ones know there is no alternative and for the most part will do nothing to change."

Ok ,Mr Authority let's hear your next excuse for not answeringsomething like thisI would imagine knowing your techniques
Well its a case by case situation and you can't generalize, it would take millions years and hundreds of dollars to explain.............
Why respond when it only leads to more attacks and name calling? I didn't impugn anyone, just said there general comment about something was incorrect. Have a discussion that isn't attacking or name calling in general and you might get better responses.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Tom, why on earth don't you tell them what you do for a living and that you actually know what your talking about when it comes to this subject? Its not like you not to take credit every opportunity you get, so it's odd that you wouldn't tell what your profession is. It's very possible that if they have seen many of your other posts that they struggle to accept what you say here as being correct.
Well Bob, probably because it's irrelevant. And it's further creepy odd behavior to keep trying to bring that into a conversation. Prior or current occupations don't lend nor detract from a factual statement. The rest of your stuff is the standard vitriol...so no more comment on that.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:05 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Well Bob, probably because it's irrelevant. And it's further creepy odd behavior to keep trying to bring that into a conversation. Prior or current occupations don't lend nor detract from a factual statement. The rest of your stuff is the standard vitriol...so no more comment on that.
Irrelevant?, a new low, pathetic.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:58 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I've heard some modelers get personal umbrella policies. Thought about looking into it, but never did. Be curious to know how much they run.
Just added a Million dollar Umbrella to my Homeowners policy. cost $164/yr added to my American Family Home owners. He explained it covers my $30 grand worth of R/C Toys just as my couch or any household items for fire wind theft from my house or automobile or even the airplane trailer if connected to my car or anywhere o my property. It covers me for liability Up to the limits of the p flying Model Airplanes Just as if I hurt someone or something playing Golf. Hunting, fishing even flying Model or (DRONES) and he used the term Drone.

Hope the He[[ I never need any of it.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:04 PM
castlebravo

Man.....I wish it would stop raining....this "cabin Fever" crap is for the birds..............

CB
Old 01-21-2016, 04:57 PM
STKNRUD

More information to consider. I am not trying to win hypothetical arguments concerning coverage. The intent in my posts was to share the info I got two years ago from underwriters of my insurance policies then when I wanted statements of coverage I needed for flying on a private airport. I checked with my current underwriters today for both personal and corporate.

First, here is what I learned...in the final analysis it depends on your underwriter and the attorneys. Two years ago Allstate would not specifically identify model aircraft flying as a 'covered activity'. Rather they only generically said coverage would be extended to "lawful activity". My current underwriter specially identifies 'model aircraft flying' as a being covered. Other underwriters put model flying into the same category as full scale flying activity where coverage has to be provided for that activity separately. You will not find these specific kinds coverage listed in your liability homeowner's policy. You must ask to know whether coverage would be provided for our unique hobby. And our hobby is becoming more "unique" by the day. Side note: there is a lot of conversation in the homeowner's insurance world about "drone" activity and coverage.

Second, if your insurance policy clearly covers model aircraft flying, your liability coverage would "probably" be covered even if you did not register providing the civil claim was not for criminal activity. Another words, you did not intend to hurt someone. The FAA may still prosecute and send you to jail, but the accidentally injury would be covered. That is not consistent with what Allstate defined for me two years ago as only "lawful" activity being covered. If that is still their definition, I would be get a clarification. Clearly if you are not registered, flying is not "lawful".

Re auto insurance: From my conversations today, you can not get coverage if you don't have a drivers license. If your driver's license was suspended and you had an accident, you would "probably" be covered unless the accident was incidental to a criminal activity. What is criminal? If the underwriter denies the claim, you will need lots of $$$ and an attorney to find out. Hitting someone after leaving a burglary...no coverage. Hit and run...probably no coverage. Accidental collision...covered.

So I would strongly recommend that you not rely on anything in this thread, including what I shared based on MY underwriters, your own interpretation/belief of what is or is not covered, what is criminal and what is not, etc. Your policy, especially homeowner's liability, will not list everything that is covered.

IMO, I would forget civil disobedience, i.e. 'register when cows fly' kind of thinking. You probably don't have the money or time to fight that war by yourself in the event of a mishap. The AMA hasn't had much success in the last four years. And find out specifically, in writing if possible, if your homeowner's liability policy specifically covers model aviation. It is a hobby. There is no winning lottery ticket or profit in what we do. Protect yourself and your family from unnecessary angst in the unlikely case something goes wrong.

I hope this info added to the confusion. I have gotten different answers from different carriers and they admit that it depends on the underwriters and attorneys. Please don't bother debating or even agreeing with me. Do your own research and find out what the case is with your specific underwriter. I am glad I did. I learned something and can sleep better tonight knowing I have liability coverage.

For the poster that did not have theft coverage for their models...shop it. I verified that I had full coverage to the extent of anything else that may be stolen at home or off premises.

Last edited by STKNRUD; 01-21-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:02 PM
STKNRUD

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Just added a Million dollar Umbrella to my Homeowners policy. cost $164/yr added to my American Family Home owners. He explained it covers my $30 grand worth of R/C Toys just as my couch or any household items for fire wind theft from my house or automobile or even the airplane trailer if connected to my car or anywhere o my property. It covers me for liability Up to the limits of the p flying Model Airplanes Just as if I hurt someone or something playing Golf. Hunting, fishing even flying Model or (DRONES) and he used the term Drone.

Smart. A stroke of common sense and good judgement. And sleep well. Worth every cent.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Thanks for the information. I need to call my agent inquire about doing the same. $164/yr isn't bad.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DANG!!!! $4,800.00 - $5,500.00....Is that what those 35%ers cost these days??

Astro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.