Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Open Invitation to the AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Open Invitation to the AMA

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:18 PM
aircraftbuilder67
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Invitation to the AMA

In regards to the recent passage of requirements to have to register my model aircraft, along with so many fellow members feeling frustration, angst and betrayal, I would like to invite the AMA to please comment to the membership. I would like to have them present their strategy and position regarding drones and why. I would like to believe that they would use this opportunity to be forthright to the membership and that this would not be the time to try and fool people. I believe sooner or later they will either explain themselves or have to explain themselves.

Do do I believe this will get a response?????? Well, you won't have a chance if you don't ask.

AMA, the floor is yours.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been about two days since the announcement, did you see their press release from yesterday? Chances are they sent that out to every member thinking this would get better exposure, rather than coming here to answer questions. You can also check with your local AVPs (there are 5 in PA), or with your VP. Chances are though, they are going to direct you to the AMA release, and will be waiting for the same information you are looking for. It's doubtful everything is going to be laid out with days or even weeks.
[h=1]AMA and the FAA Registration Process[/h] Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.
Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress’s intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.
While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:
• All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
• Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
• You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
• You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch – but should not require tools to access.
• The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
• There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
• You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
• We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
• At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.
Thank you,
AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team