Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should the AMA ask a celebrity to promote non registration of Model Aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should the AMA ask a celebrity to promote non registration of Model Aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Should the AMA ask a celebrity to promote non registration of Model Aircraft?

I am sure there are some celebrity AMA members or past members out there to promote our cause. I'm thinking Burt Rutan would be a good choice. He was an avid modeler and probably still uses them for testing. I believe he would volunteer his services if asked.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 12-18-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:17 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

A disastrous step to take. There wouldn't be a "celebrity" out there willing to publicly advocate breaking the law. Why would the AMA ask someone to do something they haven't even said not to do?

It's 4 days after the announcement..the AMA has already sent out two releases on the issue, have some patience and let's see where we are in a few weeks.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:30 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Now see , I didn't read Sport's proposal as asking a celebrity to encourage folks to not register as a form of law breaking protest . I read it as enlisting a celebrity to put a well known aviation associated public face behind the push to get the FAA to retract the requirement that model aircraft register , and thereby needing no acts of civil disobedience to accomplish the stated goal of the removal of the registration .

Have I read ya right , Sport ?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Where did I say the celebrity would be breaking the law? I was referring to promoting the FAA not to require registration.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

Perhaps the initial post is too vague..I'm sure Sport will clarify. Keeping in mind we only have a two month period to mull this over...finding a celebrity and putting together a campaign for whatever Sport is suggesting would be...difficult to achieve. And who would the campaign target..the AMA membership? We already don't want to register. The public...do they care about our cause?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Now see , I didn't read Sport's proposal as asking a celebrity to encourage folks to not register as a form of law breaking protest . I read it as enlisting a celebrity to put a well known aviation associated public face behind the push to get the FAA to retract the requirement that model aircraft register , and thereby needing no acts of civil disobedience to accomplish the stated goal of the removal of the registration .

Have I read ya right , Sport ?
Yes, Rutan has worked with the FAA before so he could talk directly with them. Also to members of Congress. Perhaps even his name on petitions and what not.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Where did I say the celebrity would be breaking the law? I was referring to promoting the FAA not to require registration.
The post didn't sound like it was referring to promoting the FAA...you didn't make that distinction, but now you have.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Perhaps the initial post is too vague..I'm sure Sport will clarify. Keeping in mind we only have a two month period to mull this over...finding a celebrity and putting together a campaign for whatever Sport is suggesting would be...difficult to achieve. And who would the campaign target..the AMA membership? We already don't want to register. The public...do they care about our cause?
In the body I said to promote our cause. I don't think our cause has ever been to break the law.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

That was promoting our cause with the FAA, not promoting the FAA!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

The post didn't sound like it was referring to promoting the FAA...you didn't make that distinction, but now you have.
I said promoting our cause. When has our cause been to break the law?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

yes, i get it now..but the initial post said nothing about lobbying the FAA....it just talked about someone promoting non-registration. You've since clarified that it would be someone like BR, and he would lobby the FAA directly given his celeb status as well as prior dealings with him.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:48 AM
init4fun

Yes, Rutan has worked with the FAA before so he could talk directly with them. Also to members of Congress. Perhaps even his name on petitions and what not.
I believe Burt Rutan would be a perfect guy to promote our position to the FAA . Another that comes to mind , and forgive me I can't quite recall his name at the moment , would be the Astronaut husband of former Senator "Gabby" Gabriel Giffords . I think his first name is Mark ? Anyway , I do like the idea of a reasonable responsible aviation celebrity as the public face of our (lawful) repeal efforts .

I wonder how Captain Sullenberger feels about the model airplane registration issue ?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:53 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kaitlynn Jenner
Old 12-18-2015, 07:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

I believe Burt Rutan would be a perfect guy to promote our position to the FAA . Another that comes to mind , and forgive me I can't quite recall his name at the moment , would be the Astronaut husband of former Senator "Gabby" Gabriel Giffords . I think his first name is Mark ? Anyway , I do like the idea of a reasonable responsible aviation celebrity as the public face of our (lawful) repeal efforts .

I wonder how Captain Sullenberger feels about the model airplane registration issue ?
Now THAT is a good one....
Old 12-18-2015, 07:31 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad there wasn't a poll attached to this thread!

Seems we've been down this road recently....

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-18-2015, 07:49 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Isn't Bobby Brown dressed up as Santa Drone the image we need to project...?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:24 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
I am glad there wasn't a poll attached to this thread!

Seems we've been down this road recently....

Regards,

Astro
Right...even mine with two simple choice and ultra short description was deemed to difficult for some. A poll free day is a good one.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:47 AM
init4fun

Now THAT is a good one....
Ok , so call me slow in the morning , but it took me a while to figure out why you thought that was funny . I was thinking of Captain Sully only cause right after his incident he seemed to be on the news during any story that involved aviation , since the country saw him as a national aviation hero for saving his passengers when his plane went down . Then I remembered that it was FOD that took out both engines forcing the ditch into the Hudson and with our prior discussions with Sport about the relative strength/weakness tolerance of turbine engines to FOD , yea I guess mention of him would seem kinda funny given the circumstances . I truly do wonder how many of today's well revered aviation personalities began with model aviation , it's those folks , Captain Sully included if he did fly model aircraft as a precursor to his full scale career , that could do our cause a lot of good right about now .
Old 12-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ok , so call me slow in the morning , but it took me a while to figure out why you thought that was funny . I was thinking of Captain Sully only cause right after his incident he seemed to be on the news during any story that involved aviation , since the country saw him as a national aviation hero for saving his passengers when his plane went down . Then I remembered that it was FOD that took out both engines forcing the ditch into the Hudson and with our prior discussions with Sport about the relative strength/weakness tolerance of turbine engines to FOD , yea I guess mention of him would seem kinda funny given the circumstances . I truly do wonder how many of today's well revered aviation personalities began with model aviation , it's those folks , Captain Sully included if he did fly model aircraft as a precursor to his full scale career , that could do our cause a lot of good right about now .
It's funny because he has come out for registration! He is effectively in the employ of the FAA.
porcia83
Banned

Where has he talked about this?
porcia83
Banned

No...I meant that your suggestion was good one. Who better to talk about whats going on now that that guy.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Where has he talked about this?
http://dronelife.com/2015/11/24/sull...blic-reaction/
Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 AM
init4fun

It's funny because he has come out for registration! He is effectively in the employ of the FAA.
Thank You for that link Sport . Yes , he does advocate registration for drones and quite honestly , so do I . What he hasn't spoken about in the link is how he feels about model aircraft being subject to the same registration requirement . Noting that the story is dated November 24 , before the ruling lumping MA and drones together , the subject of the difference between drone and MA likely would not have been mentioned . Now that it is reality that we are lumped in with the drones , I'm left to wonder if he considers ALL model aircraft drones , or if we weren't really thought about given that #336 was supposed to protect us ?
Old 12-18-2015, 12:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2015, 01:18 PM
poison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kaitlynn Jenner lol that's what I was thinking because way back when I remember seeing Bruce flying a Trex 700 in RC mag. Didn't she/ he won some lifetime achievement award?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.