Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

So, What Really IS a CBO?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

So, What Really IS a CBO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:51 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So, What Really IS a CBO?

Been wandering through US Code. And while the definition of CBO is out there, as you dig deeper it seems rather vague.

According to 20 U.S.C.A § 7801(5), the term “community-based organization” means “a public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness that:
(A) is representative of a community or significant segments of a community; and
(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community.”

Sounds simple enough. But if you look at their meaning of "Related Services" you will find:
Related Services - (A)The term “related services” means transportation, and such developmental, corrective, and other supportive services (including speech-language pathology and audiology services, interpreting services, psychological services, physical and occupational therapy, recreation, including therapeutic recreation, social work services, school nurse services designed to enable a child with a disability to receive a free appropriate public education as described in the individualized education program of the child, counseling services, including rehabilitation counseling, orientation and mobility services, and medical services, except that such medical services shall be for diagnostic and evaluation purposes only) as may be required to assist a child with a disability to benefit from special education, and includes the early identification and assessment of disabling conditions in children. (B)The term does not include a medical device that is surgically implanted, or the replacement of such device.

Huh!

Then doing some more research on CBO I find this:
The term “community-based organization” means a private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness, Indian tribe, or tribally sanctioned educational authority, that is representative of a community or significant segments of a community and that provides educational or related services to individuals in the community. Such term includes a Native Hawaiian or Native American Pacific Islander native language educational organization.

I'm beginning to wonder just what is required to be a CBO. And whether the AMA really meets the definition? Maybe that's why the FAA has yet to identify any CBO's. They don't know what one really is either.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Maybe that's why the FAA has yet to identify any CBO's. They don't know what one really is either."

LOL....that just might be true!
Old 02-26-2019, 03:58 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by tailskid
"Maybe that's why the FAA has yet to identify any CBO's. They don't know what one really is either."

LOL....that just might be true!
Might also explain why these drone organizations you see are following normal business models rather than trying to be CBOs themselves. And all of them focus on the commercial side though a few also support the recreational side of things. A couple even offer Primary Insurance for the Rec side. I have a contact with one of them, maybe I'll ask his reasons.

Thing is, based on what US Code states I can see where the AMA really doesn't fit the bill either. In particular the education side of it.
"(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community.”

Especially when one reads the definition of "Related Services".

To me CBO seems to be more a supporting part of the education system, like the PTA. And in particular geared towards the indigenous peoples of the United States. Could be wrong but that's the way I see it all leaning at the moment.

Last edited by Appowner; 02-26-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:27 AM
Appowner
Banned

Maybe the thing to do is for the AMA to abandon this CBO idea and become more of an organization like the NRA is for gun enthusiasts. i.e. For Profit among other things! If no one tries to be a CBO then fliers will have to fall back onto FAA regs for ALL guidance. Safer move IMHO anyway. Sort of make the FAA our CBO (not that they'd qualify as one either).
Old 02-26-2019, 05:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

The AMA has been recognized as a CBO by the FAA in their past writings.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:34 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Key point,"past writings". I know of nothing in current documentation or regs that identifies the AMA (or anyone) as a CBO.

I believe someone within the last year asked the FAA the direct question of who are the approved CBOs? And the answer was no one.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:13 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Please provide copy of document that designates AMA as a CBO. Lots of references in AMA EC notes about still lacking formal recognition. In fact, articulating frustration specifically on point that FAA has not acted on AMA's CBO petition.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:49 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Please provide copy of document that designates AMA as a CBO. Lots of references in AMA EC notes about still lacking formal recognition. In fact, articulating frustration specifically on point that FAA has not acted on AMA's CBO petition.
Well, it would appear he either can't or won't.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To my knowledge, the FAA has never officially designated any group as a CBO. The closest they have come is to make a statement something to the effect of, "...a Community Based Organization, like the AMA...". If I recall, the AMA was pushing for the FAA to clarify and officially announce a list of recognized CBO's, but I do not believe they have done so, and I have a feeling that they are very reluctant to actually do so.

Regards,

Astro
Old 03-17-2019, 08:58 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
To my knowledge, the FAA has never officially designated any group as a CBO. The closest they have come is to make a statement something to the effect of, "...a Community Based Organization, like the AMA...". If I recall, the AMA was pushing for the FAA to clarify and officially announce a list of recognized CBO's, but I do not believe they have done so, and I have a feeling that they are very reluctant to actually do so.

Regards,

Astro
I believe the reluctance is due in part to the AMA being the only organization that is even close to being a CBO. And in light of some of their antics over all this, the FAA doesn't want to give them any more leverage than they might already have. Another gauge by which one can determine the governments real opinion of the AMA.

On the flip side, there are quite a few new drone focused organizations which could probably serve as CBO's except, they are all on the "for profit" side of business. Were that qualification of non-profit be removed from the government definition of CBO, I suspect we'd see a FAA list and there would be more than a few organizations on it.